Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can God be challenged conversationally?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 2
Can God be challenged conversationally? Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Can God be challenged conversationally?

No I can't.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:58:21 PM

Since God is all knowing, and capable of doing anything, how might God be able to have an intellectually stimulating conversation?

This is why telling god a joke is useless--he knows the punchline. If he laughs, it is only to be polite. It kills parties to have god come.

Of course, this is just the monotheistic god of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam; pagan gods were/are most often not omniscient and could even be tricked.
 JustDukky
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/30/2009 8:21:37 PM
@ Gwendolyn2008

It kills parties to have god come.

Does this mean you won't be inviting me?

Boy...Being God ain't what its cracked up to be!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2009 8:43:04 PM
Of course you can. G-d knows everything, so everything you say is heard by Her. G-d has the capacity to talk back, in that She makes things happen, so She can engineer what happens to you as a response. You have to take what you see with a grain of salt. But if you ask G-d why you haven't got a girlfriend, and then every time you approach a girl afterwards, she knocks you back, and people keep saying you're a bit rude, and try to be a little more polite, then it might be no coincidence that you are suddenly getting a lot of feedback when you weren't getting any before.

But if you want G-d to answer you directly, then you're better off going to be with nature. All the great spiritual leaders found G-d within nature, away from the distractions of living in a society. Moses went to the Desert. Jesus too. The Baal Shem Tov went to the forest. It certainly seems to me that a lot of spiritual people who said that they were communing with G-d, first met G-d out in real nature, where people aren't around.
 notregme
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2009 9:22:10 PM
God and Nowa had an argument and Nowa wone.FREE WILL! to men and no big waves and space rocks and thunder crackers in the head if man did wrong.lol
 WanderingRain
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2009 10:51:59 PM
Conversation direct with God can be very stimulating. Of course God knows answers. But who God brings with us would be the kicker. I can imagine God can be Jay Leno and I can be Kevin... what makes the show is the guests God brings on...
 JustDukky
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:45:47 AM

Unless of course, you are god or are in direct communication with him/her/it/them and you have evidence of such

My conversations with God always seemed to be pretty one-sided, like I was talking to myself. Then one day I realized...I WAS talking to myself. Since then I have bathed in My Own Glory. It's kinda fun being God (bonus: I stopped talking to Myself and started listening -- until then I never recognized what a great conversationalist a Supreme Being could be).

I wish I could convince you all that I AM the Creator, but you'll just have to take MY word on faith, since (as Godel might have said) many true statements are unprovable.
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 3:28:07 PM
It was once written in graffiti on walls across Britain in the 1960's that "Clapton is God".

I s'pose you could have a stimulating conversation with Eric Clapton about his influences and ask him why the "Blind Faith" album sleeve bears a picture of a naked eleven year old holding a model jet plane..
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/2/2009 7:54:02 AM

Then the challenge would be to be challenged. Or maybe god is immune to logic, and easily bored.

God IS easily bored, regardless of which god you mean. Why do you think Zeus had affairs?

As for Yahweh, totally and utterly easily bored--it's why in his omnipotence, he is with all people at all times; therefore, he can watch people have sex, use the toilet . . . etc. Of course, if that is all you have to do, it would get boring sooner or later. I would imagine that he is pretty bored with it by now. I think "ennui" is the word applicable here.

Of course he'd keep the odd looking ones. "Hey son.... this one looks just like you!"

Tazed, I think I love you--based on that statement alone.

If the inventors would have been a little less creative and made him less than omnipotent, at least he could ask us for an excuse for pulling the legs off flys, of which I'm very guilty.

There are many gods besides Yahweh and most of them are not omnipotent.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:07:25 AM
wyspering wrote:
old soul up there a few posts' Its seems as though certain
individuals gets their backs up immediately-like yourself; when
something has hit a sensitive nerve in them!

Although Old Soul does not need me to run to her rescue, I simply cannot see where she expressed anger or had her "back up." Instead, you seem to have the sensitive nerve, which is common to those who cannot possibly see the rational points made by people of a different beliefs.

I could address the fact that you call yourself 'old soul' is because you
have conformed yourself to believe in the seven souls. [. . .] everyone that I have known who believes in this seven soul -re-incarnation bull---is always claiming they are the oldest soul,now let me guess 'old soul' everyone who takes the time tochat with you about this--

Since Old Soul didn't expound on her beliefs, I can only assume that you read minds or god gave you insight to what she thinks. I believe in reincarnation most of the time (I always allow room for doubt), yet I don't believe in seven souls--wanta peg MY beliefs?

-I bet you tell them they are the young soul

And even if she did tell people this, it is no more absurd than Christians telling people that they are assured of heaven!

Now tell me dear what prooof have you of that-and moreso what proof you are the oldest and wisest soul??????????/lol

Not only did she NOT claim to be the oldest or wisest soul, but your rant shows that you didn't understand a word of what she said. Her beliefs are as valid as yours because all we have are opinions: truth is subjective. Didn't you get the point about pink elephants dancing in her living room?

Only in Jesus Name-------------------does this become apparent of
course to those who can see-----and hear-----------and feel!

A circular, useless argument. I could easily as say only those who have heard the call of the Goddess are able to see, hear, and feel. We can both substantiate our claim by nothing more than opinion and belief.

Pfft.
 JustDukky
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/2/2009 12:30:23 PM

I would gladly choose a long painful death and an eternity in hell before I would bow down to such a god.

Good for you. This is why I like atheists. They have the courage of their principles and really WOULD argue with a God. Almost any "believer" would rather suck up to The Almighty and defer to His "Wisdom" than stand up for their sense of morality & justice. For that reason alone, I don't consider that they really have any.

Is God conversationally challenged?
No!
As I've proved previously, by My definition I AM God, I'm not conversationally challenged either, but nobody is listening to L'il Ol' Me...
 lyingcheat
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/3/2009 9:24:04 PM

Actually it is valid on the grounds that you cannot prove that his god is not the one true god.

The onus isn't on anyone else to prove anything. The person making the claim has the obligation to prove the truth of it.
Anything else is ridiculous.
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/4/2009 8:18:15 AM
If you and I can argue and debate within our own minds, and to ourselves, can't God do the same?
 JustDukky
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/4/2009 9:03:34 AM
If you and I can argue and debate within our own minds, and to ourselves, can't God do the same?

Not if He is truly unified and "at One with Himself." This is where the concept of Satan (Ha-satan = adversary) comes into play. If God is just arguing with himself, then He created Satan as a vehicle to do so.

The Zoroastrians posited a polar yin/yang universe with good/evil, God/Satan as equivalent but opposite (to maintain the balance of existence). It was only when this got "ba$tardized" when it was incorporated into the mythology of a local middle eastern God named Jehovah (Greek version of the name) that people were uncomfortable with the idea that their God wasn't supreme, or that evil was just as "great" as good.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:04:21 AM

it's such a shame this thread can possibly help christians with thier personal relationship with god, yet stupid people come in and derail it.

You need to take my writing class wherein I explain to my students the problems with logical fallacies and the need for decorum when trying to persuade or explain things to the opposition. The use of the word "stupid" is a reflection on you rather than on the person whom you are calling stupid.

Was this thread intended to help Christians with their personal relationship? It seemed more to me to be a gentle mocking of religious people who believe in an omnipotent god who knows all.

Lyingcheat wrote:
The person making the claim has the obligation to prove the truth of it.

Now there is someone who understands the logistics of debate.
 JustDukky
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:25:34 AM
Well put Gwendolyn.

I don't claim to know the original poster's intent, but the question itself was sufficiently profound as to invite comment from everyone. If it was intended as a "Christians only" thread, then it should have been placed in a "Christians only" forum where the underlying assumptions aren't open to question.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/4/2009 1:27:32 PM
Dukky--great minds think alike.
 JustDukky
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:25:02 PM

great minds think alike.

I've noticed that.

Would you agree too that fools seldom differ, or should we agree to disagree (just to be on the safe side)?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/4/2009 3:00:04 PM

Would you agree too that fools seldom differ, or should we agree to disagree (just to be on the safe side)?

Although I usually don't stand on the safe side, we'll let that issue rest. (Evil grin.)
 parklabrea
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2009 6:34:24 PM
God doesn't talk to me, but he carries on long conversations with the Burning Bush in my yard.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:36:21 AM

If i make a claim that my god is the one true god or if anybody else makes a claim that their god is the one true god what exactly do they need to prove?

That the claim might have a shred of truth perhaps? That it's not the product of a diseased mind maybe?

...exactly not a ****ing thing because you nor anybody else can not prove that their god is not the one true god. if however you can provide proof that their one true god is not the one true god then by all means SHOW your proof or simply stfu and let them have their beliefs in peace.

As I said in post 35, the onus is on the person making the claim to substantiate it, assuming they expect to be taken seriously. Any other position is ridiculous.
If anyone should "stfu", it would be the people who don't just enjoy "their beliefs in peace", but persist in making claims they can't substantiate.

Ya know i probably should take a writing class wherin i explain to people again to PEOPLE that i was not refering to a single person as being stupid as their is no such thing as a stupid person, just a person that makes stupid choices,
but then again some people have mental problems that are not their fault.

No comment.
 JustDukky
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:11:28 AM

God is limitless

How do you know that?
 JustDukky
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:18:51 AM

Know Spirit and you will know God

Your offer is conditionally accepted subject to proof of your claim.
 JustDukky
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:06:33 PM
Yes, it is just my word.The proof comes to all who walk in Spirit and imposable to convey to all that don't.

That is the proverbial sound of one hand clapping. It cannot be communicated, but only understood by one of like mind.

It is not a claim to be proved, but a statement of belief and therefore accepted on that basis for its face value by anyone who shares that belief and universally rejected by those who don't. (But then, that's what you said, isn't it.)
 aremeself
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 12:44:20 AM
maybe a small challange every few million years. [if there is a god, right?]

we should challenge him all the time with our questions. eg[how can you live with all those people in that hell place that was built for just that purpose?]
or ask him if it was built before or after he created man.
richard prior had a good joke about god, love, and hell.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Can God be challenged conversationally?