Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > McLaren Penalised Again      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 1
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised AgainPage 1 of 1    
Lewis Hamilton and his McLaren team have been disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix for giving "deliberately misleading" evidence to investigating race stewards.

The sport's world governing body FIA reopened an investigation on Thursday into the circumstances which saw Toyota's Jarno Trulli pass Hamilton during a safety car period in Melbourne.

A post-race stewards' probe in Australia adjudged Trulli at fault and handed the Italian a 25-second penalty, dropping him from third to 12th.

But after hearing team radio transmissions from the Australian GP, the decision has been reversed with Hamilton and McLaren now punished for providing intentionally disingenuous information to the Melbourne hearing.

In a statement, the stewards declared: "The Stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

"Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly."

It's noteable that Mclaren have virtually admitted guilt as McLaren team principle Martin Whitmarsh revealed they will not appeal,

"Obviously we are disappointed by what happened but in the circumstances, we are not going to appeal," he said

After last season when a lot of people seemed to think that Hamilton was being victimised by the FIA do people still think that McLaren are the innocents they claim to be or is it a case that there's no smoke without fire and our views of the situation are oftened skewed as we are dealing with a Brit in situations being reported by the partisan British media?
 BouncyBall
Msg: 2
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 6:54:36 AM
Very strange case, seemed quite straight forward to me that Trulli fell off the road? I'd love to see / hear this evidence.
 restless_native
Msg: 3
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 7:10:51 AM

Very strange case, seemed quite straight forward to me that Trulli fell off the road? I'd love to see / hear this evidence.

Coverage of the incident was pretty sketchy on Sunday and I didn't see all of what happened myself. However, on the BBC website Martin Brundle has summed up the events in his own inimitable fashion

"Hamilton passed Trulli as he was off the road. Hamilton clearly wondered then, to give him the benefit of the doubt, if he had passed under the safety car conditions and was trying to let Trulli back through.

"There was a point when he was doing just 15mph in his McLaren and Trulli had no option but to repass him.

"I think Lewis then saw half a chance of a third place instead of a fourth, went up to the stewards and didn't give them the full story.

"Now they've matched up his comments (to them) to radio content between him and the team, and other information they've gathered, and they've decided that effectively he was telling fibs.

"I think it's a big issue and it's not going to go away. If they were asked a direct question they should have given the right answer, and they clearly didn't."
 dub08
Msg: 4
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:28:18 AM
McLaren aren't appealing the decision so its hardly them being picked on again is it? Not that I know anything about Formula 1 but ...
 restless_native
Msg: 5
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:53:56 AM
What's the problem? Deliberately cheating or deliberately lying?

I think the central issue is that he seems to have told the stewards after the race that Trulli passed him under safety car conditions without mentioning that McLaren actually allowed this to happen. Resulting in Trullis 25 second penalty which demoted him to 12th place.
 BouncyBall
Msg: 6
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:32:28 AM

Trulli did not fall of the track. He simply passed Hamilton ,as Hamilton decided for no reason to lift off the throttle, on a straight giving trulli the impression he should pass.

Oh right my mistake, from what I heard Trulli was in 3rd, fell off the road and Hamilton passed him, then Hamilton let Trulli back in again?
 oggers
Msg: 7
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 4:45:48 PM
Not exactly McLaren being picked on ... Toyota urged the stewards to look at this again ...

Stewards: " Lewis did you knowingly let Jarno past "

Lewis "No"

radio transmission eveidence however apparently (acc.Johnny Herbert) clearly shows that there was discussion about wether or not Lewis - having passed trulli on the grass - should allow him past again : radio tranmission shows that lewis was told to do so at first , so he did... therefore Mclaren / Lewis lied to the stewards in the original enquiry, seemingly to ensure that Trulli was demoted and Lewis kept the points ....

Lewis may get booted out of the drivers championship , never mind losing Melbourne points ....
 restless_native
Msg: 8
view profile
History
McLaren Penalised Again
Posted: 4/2/2009 5:13:30 PM
The thing about this whole incident is that it does make you wonder what other things which McLaren may have said in the past may not be true. If the team will lie to race stewards, surely they wouldn't hesitate to be equally as untruthful with the public and press.

A lot of the incidents which have happened in the past we only have their word for. It seems that this time they have been caught bang to rights due to the recorded radio transmission. Will people be be so ready to jump to their defence and take their word for anything after this?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > McLaren Penalised Again