Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Rude Celebrities      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ken9284
Msg: 1
Rude CelebritiesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hey all,

How are you guys today?

I was listening to the radio today and once in a while this radio show host I listen to (Mike McConnel, hope that's how you spell it, LOL) has what he calls a 'lighter topic' during his last hour on Friday. He does this in celebration of the weekend.

So I thought I'd take one of the lighter topics he had and apply to the forums here. The topic he used was so interesting I thought 'Why not ask the folks on POF to see who they've encountered.'

The topic obviously being 'Rude Celebrities.' I've not met many famous people, but from the stories I've heard from the people who called into Mike's show that day I can tell you that a few of the famous people don't sound very friendly. Obviously I'm going by what the callers said, but lets not forget anyone can have a bad day.

Here are two examples:
A person who worked at a bar called in to report that alot of the times Scotty Pippin would come in and the bartenders would argue over who waits on him. Nobody would wait on him because he would never tip anyone. According to the caller no matter how good they were at waiting on Scotty he never showed gratitude.

The second one was A-Rod. A-Rod was at a restaraunt when a man with his kid spotted him. They approached the baseball player asking for an autograph. A-Rod gave the autograph, but according to the father (the man who called the radio station) wasn't very friendly or acted very kindly toward either person. A-Rod basically grunted and groaned while signing whatever it was he was asked to sign. Apprentaley he made it look as if he was asked to something strenuous

What makes this story funny is that before leaving the dad shouted out "Hey look! It's A-Rod" this obviously causing a rush to the bar where he was sitting.

Anyway, do any of you guys know of a story or have encountered a rude celebrity?

Sorry if this was kind of a long post, but I liked the topic. Hope you guys do to.

Have a good one.

Ken
 ash7209
Msg: 2
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:57:31 AM
Professional athletes are notoriously bad tippers. Jim Rome has done that topic several times on his radio show. I believe he even mentioned Pippin by name.

As for A-Rod's reaction to the kid, I'm torn.

On the one hand, it's kind of ridiculous for him (or anyone, for that matter) to bit the proverbial hand that feeds him. He is paid (handsomely) to play a sport and, whether he likes it or not, to be a hero to kids just like this one.

On the other hand, I have never been "famous" so I don't know what it's like to have someone in my grill 24 hours a day, begging for autographs, calling attention to me when I am trying to enjoy my privacy...but I can imagine that it would get old after a while. Some might say, "Hey, that's the price of fame!" and they would have a valid point. Everyone's entitled to his privacy, I think.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 3
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:00:55 AM

I believe he even mentioned Pippin by name.

Probably. I don't see how he could have mentioned him any other way.
 NoBushLover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:03:45 AM
I've met a number of celebrities. Not mega celebrities like Madonna or the Beatles, but people who most people know of. Mostly musicians like BB King, Albert Collins, Miles Davis, etc

They were all very nice to me. Even Miles who has a reputation for instability. But then again, they weren't ultra-famous

Actually, I'm remembering one who almost punched me out. Jaco Pastorius (a jazz bass player) and I were waiting to use the men's room and he got frustrated and went to punch the wall. Unfortunately, I was standing right in front of that wall. Fortunately, my reflexes were quick enough to move out of the way. I should also point out that, at that time, Jaco was suffering from a serious mental illness.
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:47:44 AM
Celebrities have a job, they are required to do their job just like the rest of us, when they are off-duty they should be left the hell alone and celebrity-hungry civilians should learn some manners. I was married to a mechanic, I guarantee you that when someone would come up to us at a store or restaurant he wasn't very nice about being expected to put on his work hat and solve their problems, for free no less! People are rude as hell to celebs and I think it's time for us to realize that these are just people, wanting some privacy and not being bothered unless they are doing their jobs where we then have some access to them. Can you imagine if you were say, a CPA, and were out to dinner with family or friends, and some asshat comes up to you with their tax forms and ask you to fill it out for them....because hey you are a CPA and should be not only a role model to all with taxes to do but be smiling & willing to do your job on off hours, for free, for any idiot who thought you owed them something? Yeah, that would go over like a lead balloon.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 6
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:04:16 AM
In the Denver area, they had a radio call-in show about athletes, and waitstaff said that hockey players are fun and tip GREAT, baseball players are ok, but football/basketball players are jerks (hard to please/deal with) and tip like crap.

I take these stories with a bit of salt--when *I* have a crappy day, no one notices. Say I'm crabby and am less than sweet to the cashier--she won't notice, proabably wouldn't give it a thought. But if John Elway were to be less than sweet, she'd take note and tell everyone what a jerk he is.

I've had few brushes with celebrities, frankly, but I usually just ignore them. As Daze says, they're just trying to live their lives, leave them alone when they're not working.
 Annie was here
Msg: 7
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:30:07 AM
Celebrities are people like anyone else so why do we expect them to be exceptional? Do you think they never have bad days and days where they just want to eat their dinner and enjoy it in peace?They will have cranky days and good days like everyone else.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 8
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:47:17 AM
You dont tip ONE jerk and you get labled by everybody a bad tipper...I say Way to go Scotty...Way to go. All these people with their hands out...it must get tiring.
 Panda1208
Msg: 9
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:56:38 AM
Celebrities are real people too and are rude and in a bad mood sometimes like the rest of us. I'm not saying its excusable to be rude to a fan but someone fans have no respect for a person's right to privacy. Again, they are real people too.

Fortunately I had the chance to meet a lot of (very big) celebs where I work and they are all very normal and nice. I hope that it doesn't change!
 WindRoper
Msg: 10
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:57:52 AM
My cousin says Montel Williams tips well, but Bill Cosby is a demanding and rude poor tipper.
 Byrd
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 12:54:38 PM
I have also met quite a few and worked for a couple they were all very nice except for Peter Tork, of the Monkees he was a little prick..This was many years ago..I'm a big tall guy so I get alot of sh*t from people I usually let it go in one ear and out the other but this guy had a prroblem with that and just drilled me over and over..He was lucky I was sober at the time.
 Forumhobbit
Msg: 12
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 1:03:13 PM
There's a lot of celebrities out there who are deemed "mean and nasty". However I can't help but stop and think what a day in the life of a celebrity may entail.....

You can't go ANYWHERE without being recognized and approached....

You have to watch everything you say and do because you know if you so much as fart too loud, the world will know about it within minutes.

You are expected to meet/greet with a smile on your face and show geniune appreciation regardless of the day you've had or what is going on in your own personal life.

Hmmmm.... I think we forget sometimes that celebrities are human too and sometimes they have bad days.. and sometimes they just yearn to have a day that is "normal" where they can go out for coffee or lunch like everyone else and enjoy it in peace.. like everyone else. Unfortunately, celebrity status has taken that away from them.

A few years back I was in California and ran into a celebrity. I mistook them for another celebrity and he was kind enough to correct me in saying that they played on the same football team, just that he (the one I was talking to) was about 6" taller and about 100 lbs bigger. LOL I apologized for my confusion and instead of asking him for an autograph, just talked to him like a normal human being. He had that "defense" look to him just waiting for me to swoon and goggle eye at him because of his stature of fame. I think he was a little thrown when I didn't treat him like a "celebrity" but like a human being. After a short discussion, he actually thanked me for the conversation and went on his way.

Sometimes I think we need to think about how we approach them and think about life in their shoes.... Should A-rod have been a little more compassionate when approached for yet another autograph? (I'm sure this wasn't a first instance for him and surely not the last...) perhaps.... on the other side of the coin, could he have just been having a bad day and just wanted a peaceful meal without all the exploit. Plausible.

Personally, I purposely refrain from treating a celebrity that I might meet LIKE a celebrity. I figure they get that enough day to day from all the other people who approach them.
 Luna Winchester
Msg: 13
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 1:49:35 PM
The rudest celeb that I have encountered was Jeffrey Combs. I was at a convention and online in front of me was a disabled guy (I want to say he was a kid but I couldn't figure out his age) he asked me to take a picture of him and Jeffrey Combs when it was his turn and I said I'd have my sister do it because she was better at it so he hands her the camera. Now looking at this guy you can tell he is disabled because his hands are all gnarled and it doesn't look like he could carry much of anything. So his turn comes up and he asks to just take a picture that he doesn't want an autograph. Jeffrey Combs and the douche of a special effects artist with him turn around and tell the guy no and that they were taking pictures outside a half hour ago for 20 bucks. Everyone close enough just stopped and stared at these two idiots because they started to claim that then everyone on the line would then want a picture. The guy looked crushed and embarrassed when we handed his camera back I thought he was about to cry because of the scene that these two idiots made. Since that day forward I have disliked him and almost came close to tripping him later in the year when I saw in in cali.

As for these stars I think the general public should be a bit more respectful of ones personal space. If they are out eating leave them be they are human just like everyone else and I am sure if you were eating you wouldn't want to be disturbed.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 14
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:01:53 PM

Jeffrey Combs and the douche of a special effects artist with him turn around and tell the guy no and that they were taking pictures outside a half hour ago for 20 bucks. Everyone close enough just stopped and stared at these two idiots because they started to claim that then everyone on the line would then want a picture. The guy looked crushed and embarrassed when we handed his camera back I thought he was about to cry because of the scene that these two idiots made.

Im sorry the kid didnt get his photo...but who is the=is dude anyway...who would stand in along line to get some chumps autograph...and If I were gonna pay 10 bucks for a picture...there better be some ileagal stuff going on.

Im sure the kid go over-it...He has already leaqrn that like throws you a curve ball once on a while...I dont think he was crushed cuz this guy was Pimping himself out for 10 bucks a pop.

I think I would have made a Stink telling Mr. Combs to "go ahead and take a photo with the kid...
 Kaptain Obvious
Msg: 15
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:10:22 PM

A person who worked at a bar called in to report that alot of the times Scotty Pippin would come in and the bartenders would argue over who waits on him. Nobody would wait on him because he would never tip anyone. According to the caller no matter how good they were at waiting on Scotty he never showed gratitude.

Welp....I can confirm this story. I lived in Chicago during the Glory/Jordan years of Da Bullsssss. He used to come into the club I was the entertainment director for. He was given the name "No Tippin, Quitin, Pippen" by the entire staff....

I had a career that had me meeting more celebs than I can even remember. And here's the main thing.... they take a chit in the morning just like you and me. And just like everywhere in life, there are idiots, and then there are really nice ones. And just like with everybody else you meet in life, it's how you treat them as to how they will treat you back. Most celebrities have lives, interests, and wants just like all of us 'plain folk'. They talk trash about crap and every day stuff just like you and I. If anything, they're looking for a diversion away from 'the obvious' of what they do. If you get them on that level, they come out of the 'celeb' thing relatively easy.

I'll give ya an example....I was invited down with my then girlfriend to go see a guy play at a Longhorn Steakhouse back when I lived in Florida. He had just gone solo after leaving a really popular country band that's had a lot of hits. I knew of him from that band. I'm a musician by trade as well, and managed to do a lot of different things in the industry.

There might have been twenty people who came to watch him play. And all I could think of when watching him was how depressing that must be after playing sold out arenas with the band he used to be in. Quite a blow actually when your record company isn't promoting you the way that they should be after all the success.......everybody is expendable. I knew his record promoter who was there that night as well. I COULD have wanted to 'shop talk'...but instead, opted to talk about BASEBALL. Turns out the promoter used to be a bat boy for the Oakland A's in the seventies. When I went down the entire team roster, as they were my favorite team back then, he was pretty amazed and started telling me stories of the guys. Again....no shop talk....

Later...after the guy had finished his set, we all sat down to have dinner together. I only briefly mentioned how much I liked his new material, and then we switched subjects. I could have turned it into a 'can I give you a demo tape' moment...but again.... NO SHOP TALK. We ended up talking about recent movies that were out....when one of us mentioned 'The Nutty Professor'. Turned out he was a huge fan of the movie. We ended up doing the entire dining room scene together in the charactered voices that Eddie Murphy did in the scene. We both knew the ENTIRE THING. People were howling around us. I did end up getting an autographed picture of him at the promoters request. The promoter also had our phone number, so he would fill us in on what was going on later.

About a year later, this song came on the radio that eventually turned out to be a really big hit......It was called 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy' by a group called "Big and Rich"..... It was John Rich I had dinner with.

We got a call later from the promoter who let us know the concert was coming into town, asking if we wanted to come back stage for it....... well just twist my arm.....

After the show....we went backstage to say hi..... The first words out of his mouth when he saw me was...."OH MY HERCULES!!"....from the movie. We started up again with the scene..... it was a good time......

Keep it real when meeting them.....they need it as much as anybody else.......
 Luna Winchester
Msg: 16
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:28:32 PM

m sorry the kid didnt get his photo...but who is the=is dude anyway...who would stand in along line to get some chumps autograph...and If I were gonna pay 10 bucks for a picture...there better be some ileagal stuff going on.

Im sure the kid go over-it...He has already leaqrn that like throws you a curve ball once on a while...I dont think he was crushed cuz this guy was Pimping himself out for 10 bucks a pop.

I think I would have made a Stink telling Mr. Combs to "go ahead and take a photo with the kid...

It was a Fangoria convention. Fangoria is a horror magazine. Jeffrey Combs was in Re-Animator and it's sequels as well as one of the Star Trek shows. These conventions the actors are paid to be there so the autographs are free. Most of my autographs I have I never paid for. The lines usually aren't that bad because it's not a huge convention.
 WindRoper
Msg: 17
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:40:25 PM
I can understand celebrities' frustration at having no privacy. They can't even dine in some quiet, out-of-the-way place without being recognized and beseiged with fans. I just don't know the solution which will satisfy both celebrities and the general public. I've seen George Clooney in piano bar in New Orleans, leave when the attention became overmuch, then sneak back in later. I think celebrities like New Orleans cuz most folks there respect their privacy a lil' more. We saw Willem DeFoe strolling down the street (with his lovely companion, Giada) and I think he waved and smiled at our star-struck, slack-jawed faced cuz we DIDN'T approach him or start snapping pictures (only cuz I had totally forgotten I had a camera right there in my hand... LOL!).
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 18
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:40:42 PM
I spent my teen years in Hollywood, going to high school out there, we saw so many celebrities one could care less if one was ****y or rude.
Some are nice some arent some have moods like we all do, meh who cares.
Only one time a celebrity hurt my feelings, 6th grade and was out in Hollywood with my paternal grandfather, he was head of the school board at that time and he chose Soleil Moon Frye as the grand marshall since us kids all loved Punky Brewster at that time, and when asked why she didn have her different colored shoes on she rolled her eyes and walked away. My grndfather was livid, never chose her again,
 oddandy
Msg: 19
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 3:02:47 PM
I have family in Bangor, Maine, where Stephen King lives (I've even driven by and photo'd his house, lol.) My cousin used to wait on him and his brother in a local family restaurant. She said they always tipped well but were stingy with their orders...apparently the brother would order ice-water to drink, with a side of lemon wedges. He'd then make lemonade with the wedges and the sweet n low on the table, lol.

About (holy cow) 14 years ago I worked airport security at the Knoxville McGhee-Tyson airport. From what I saw it was indeed true that Oprah Winfrey doesn't sign autographs for white people, but does for everyone else. She just sorta ignores the white people and keeps herself busy walking and signing for the others.

Also, Jim Nabors was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Got his autograph for my granny

So after the airport security gig I became a bail bondsman for a few years. I never met her, but my best friend (also a bondsman) got to bail out John Gotti's daughter. He said she was about the rudest b**ch he'd ever met.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 20
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 3:06:01 PM
Look at Soliel now - for a woman in her 30s she's still doing kiddie shows and grew up to have such huge knockers she needed a reduction. The meanie

When I worked at the airport I saw a few celebs - Cheech & Chong were very nice as was Rick Springfield - it was early in his career and he still had his Aussie accent. Michael Jackson was a stuck up little d.ickhead, Little Richard was friendly and Tanya Tucker was a doll
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 21
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 3:14:28 PM
He is paid (handsomely) to play a sport and, whether he likes it or not, to be a hero to kids just like this one.

He's paid to play a game, not to be a hero. I doubt any of these pro athletes have hero/role model clauses in their contracts. Role modeling is the parents' job.

To quote George Carlin: If your kid needs a role model and you ain't it, you're both f u c k e d.

Side note: if you have to explain who someone is, they probably don't count as a "celebrity."
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 22
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 3:58:28 PM
If you're so concerned about f u c k i n g privacy, don't become a f u c k i n g actor!

Victor Mature
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 23
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 5:30:30 PM
Re comments about Stephen King's relatives being stingy.................maybe the guy ordering the water liked it with a bit of lemon and sweetener. I have ordered plain water with lemon before because I don't drink anything fizzy and I don't always want coffee.......................so try not to be so judgemental perhaps!

Re Oprah. Well if I ever get to America she darn well better sign an autograph for me after all the hours I've put in watching her show while I had little ones at homes.....................
 Byrd
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:44:55 PM
I have a hobby of recycling cans and bottles out of trash cans one day I was doing it across the street I think it was all in the same week Oprah offered me money, I turned it down because I'm not homeless...Sandra Bollack, spelled it wrong pulled in with a guy friend he gave me a couple of bucks..I took it and gave it to a homeless person..Ellen pulled up took one look at me and took off...lol then I had a nice conversation with Dean Cain..I also saw Helen Hunt, now I'd kiss her ars..
 SeanS0306
Msg: 25
Rude Celebrities
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:08:45 PM

In the Denver area, they had a radio call-in show about athletes, and waitstaff said that hockey players are fun and tip GREAT, baseball players are ok, but football/basketball players are jerks (hard to please/deal with) and tip like crap.

In my early 20's I worked at a hockey rink partially owned by an NHL player. Many of his team mates (he played for the Flyers) came in to help with the hockey camps, and they were some of the most genuine and nicest people you would meet. The one day I was just hanging out while not much was going on, and the one player came over and just started BS'ing with me like he had known me for years. A few minutes later, he realized they had "open hockey" for the public, so he put on his skates and went out to play hockey with the kids who came in for pick-up games after school. He literally just skated out onto the ice in his warm-up clothes and asked if they minded if he played too. Those kids probably never forgot that moment.

Now, many of the European pro players? Arrogant, condescending pricks would be an understatement.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Rude Celebrities