Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I will OBEY you???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PrincessLayOnYA
Msg: 2
I will OBEY you???Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yeah Screw that line.
Sit Doggie Sit Good Boy.
 cudahudson
Msg: 3
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 12:34:18 PM
Nothing like starting out the marriage with a lie huh? Or it could of been one of those master/sub type relationships. Was leather worn as the formal attire? Mask? Whips? rope involved?
 CPOsteve
Msg: 4
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 12:42:14 PM
First off let us explore the origin of the word Obey. I have researched this thoroughly and have discovered the that the the word is Greek in origin. It means Jewish Online Auction. From this we can derive the meaning from the vow that the woman will love him until such a time she sees fit and then auction him off to the highest bidder. Hope this helps.
 Asianpeach
Msg: 6
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 12:48:39 PM
lmaotip, cpost!! that's tooo funny!!
 7times
Msg: 8
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 12:55:38 PM
I think they took obey out and replaced it with will b*tch about everything you do..
 Dell
Msg: 10
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 1:03:19 PM
Maybe they are secretly practicing D/s and they DID write their own vows. lolol
 barbie98765
Msg: 11
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 1:06:06 PM
In the days that those vows were written, women were considered "chattel" little more than furniture. Many were treated like children.

And a woman was "required" to obey her husband. There are still laws on the books in some states that have no problem with a man beating his wife as long as he uses something with less width than his thumb.

In Indiana,a cop once told me the best way to "tame " a woman was to spank her. Since no woman would want pictures taken of her a$$ to show everyone.

So there are still men who treat women like children.
 viceguy2
Msg: 12
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 1:17:11 PM

I'm not sure what the normal vows are now but yes years ago that was in the marriage vows. I think thats why so many older people stayed together for so long, she had to obey him and stay. ahhhh the good old days. Sorry just kidding.

Too bad you missed your own point..You nailed it, partially. But there's a flipside to that vow and its recipricated.."Husbands, honor and love your wives". ... The "obey" component of the vow for me symbolizes humbleness (which is not to be taken advantage of) and is a link to the unification of one body (formly two) as part of the marriage sacrament.
 viceguy2
Msg: 15
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 2:04:39 PM
Yes, but i think each party has distinct roles and responsibilities within the marriage and the 'obey' component may be elluding to the man as being still the 'head of the household' so to speak. Now if the man completely commits to living up to his vow, is this such a bad thing?
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 16
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 2:09:41 PM
hahaha, meowwrr,,we changed and wrote our own vows. We didn't care for the obey part either, nor til death do we part. (Maybe silly, but we had our own. ) I wish to God I could remember exactly what it was. But we have done OK, I guess, with a lot of changes, and things that made our life together hell. I don't know how a perfect marriage would be. Doubt that there is such a thing. Everybody has hell of some kind. All all, she married ME!
 viceguy2
Msg: 17
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 2:15:10 PM
Maybe you didnt say those words but perhaps you're living them?..Congrats btw..
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 19
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 2:28:20 PM
WEll, my memory has a lot of cobwebs. I must be a worthless piece of shyt. My wife must be mentally challenged to still be with me.
 Pheonix2
Msg: 20
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:06:35 PM
You have to realize it kinda goes both ways. If you obey me I will love you and if you love me I will obey you. It's marriage. everything said in that church has an applied agreement by both parties. And obey is not meant in the sense of doggie training. In example " Honey would you please get my favorite tie out of my closet for me?'' Now if you go get the tie ladies , it's obedience. I know men don't always phrase it that way,and I know that sometimes they could just as easily do it themselves , but a man likes a woman who is willing to do nice things for him. If they were raised as I was however, your help will be requested and not demanded, and it will ALWAYS be appriciated.
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 21
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:08:46 PM
errr, thank you, Vice. By the way, what was I talkin about? I tend to forget fast these days.
 Lady Tigris
Msg: 22
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:09:03 PM
I for one do have problems with obeying anyone accept what I want to do and I guess you can say I am a bit stubborn but because of my religion I would say the vows but not necessarily follow the obey word. Words are what they mean to you not necessarily how it is used this is why there is a-lot of miss communications.

I agree with you it is not a bad thing. You do know women control most everything LOL. As old as my mom and dad are and they been married for 30 years or longer they got married through those vows but my mom basically does what she wants and I laugh at my dad when he says that he is the boss LOL.
 manthere
Msg: 23
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:09:47 PM
To the OP.

Why does this suprise you? That "Obey...." vow and others, have been around for a long time. It's nothing new.
 Lady Tigris
Msg: 24
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:13:15 PM
Now is being spanked a bad thing just a little. Just kidding. It could be fun LOL. you are right women should not be treated as children. Even though it is fun at times LOL.
 indigo rose
Msg: 25
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:15:00 PM
Take one hell of a man to get me to obey
.................hear that cowboy?
 BeachPerson
Msg: 27
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:22:41 PM
Wedding Vows

During the wedding rehearsal, the groom approached the pastor with an
unusual offer.

"Look, I'll give you $100 if you'll change the wedding vows. When you
get to me and the part where I'm to promise to 'love, honor and obey'
and 'forsaking all others, be faithful to her forever,' I'd
appreciate it if you'd just leave that part out." He passed the
minister a $100 bill and walked away satisfied.

It is now the day of the wedding, and the bride and groom have moved
to that part of the ceremony where the vows are exchanged. When it
comes time for the groom's vows, the pastor looks the young man in
the eye and says:

"Will you promise to prostrate yourself before her, obey her every
command and wish, serve her breakfast in bed every morning of your
life and swear eternally before God and your lovely wife that you
will not ever even look at another woman, as long as you both shall
live?"

The groom gulped and looked around, and said in a tiny voice, "Yes."

The groom leaned toward the pastor and hissed, "I thought we had a
deal."

The pastor put the $100 bill into his hand and whispered back, "She
made me a much better offer."
 solstice621
Msg: 28
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 3:25:11 PM
Personally ~ I love the word from the right person. I was born in the wrong time, I've always known that. I have written wedding vows for people who have thought differently, It should reflect your own ideals of what your relationship is. You don't want to know what my feelings are...some may even say i am hypocritical, I'm not . it is exactly why I am here
 Dell
Msg: 29
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 4:11:07 PM
I'm with Lady Tigris, a spanking administer correctly can be fun. lol And obeying can be fun too. It's all in how you look at things.
 PepperStar
Msg: 30
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 4:30:00 PM
A lot of places let you write your own vows. From my experience, lots of folks don't follow the "love, cherish, honor, 'til death do us part" version, either.
 Red Bird
Msg: 31
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 4:32:44 PM
What reason would there be, in love, not to obey?
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 9:53:31 PM
If you're getting married in a church, hypothetically you're a member of that church. If it is a Christian church and you are a Christian, then you should know that a woman is expected to be obedient to her husband. If you don't follow that doctrine you have no business being married in that church as they are not community meeting halls, but a place of worship for that particular faith. if that fiath doesn't follow Biblical doctrine then all bets are off, of course.

1 Peter 3
1. In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives,
5. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands;
7. You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.
8. To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;

1 Corinthians 7
2. But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.
3. The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

This last is where the "obey" comes into play....

Of course if you know more than God or are not a Christian, then feel free to write your own vows as it is basically just a legal contract unless sanctified by the church.
"I, the party of the first part, do hereby contact with Matilda, the party of the second part...."
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 6/29/2005 9:58:26 PM
(barbie wrote:) "So there are still men who treat women like children."

That's because so many women ACT like children: bratty, petulant children. That sucks. When I was managing people there was a theory that "if you treat them like adults they act like adults. If you treat them like children they act like children."

With guys that seems to be the case. I can't say the same is true with women in general. the trick is finding the one(s) who WANTS to pull her/their own weight.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I will OBEY you???