Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Wow, that's just like those Brit cops who prevented anyone from saving a family of three from burning to death in their home.
 barbee1970
Msg: 5
I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!
Posted: 4/6/2009 11:23:11 PM
Breed makes no difference. Media sensationalizes
how bad these dogs are. The dog needs a trainer or to be trained somehow. All dogs need to know who the "alpha" is. I have a Shep/Staff mix who is 7 yrs old and never a problem. The dog lays around all of the time.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/7/2009 2:30:12 AM
I think abby was meaning she needs to be trained when to turn the attack dog off. most attack dogs have a "Heel" word, once said by the owner the dog remains reposed.

likewise there is an attack word...your dog just is on attack mode.
 Pyro74
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:26:31 PM
OP, my advice is to contact your emergency services, and have them flag your phone number(s). They need this info, and then they can send animal control to restrain the dog. Also you should probably have your dog be friendly with your neighbors, so they could restrain her should the situation arise. Other than that, sounds like you have a nice dog. Kudos on rescueing her.
Now to address some of these posts. Here's a quote from the OP:

<div class="quote">As a single woman,I am proud to have a dog who will protect me
Amazingly, people on here think that this dog did something wrong, that it is an agressive dog and needs professinal training. The dog did it's job, period. Even the most highly trained dogs will go into defensive mode with their master is down. And from the OP's other posts she herself states that the dog is trained. Why do some people completely ignore facts just to state their opinion?

<div class="quote">Now that your dog has learned he can "protect" you when you're down using aggression, he might apply it in other situations.
This has to be the most ignorant and completely clueless statement on this post. So wrong on so many levels. Do not take advice from this poster.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!