Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Let GM go bust.....no more money for them....seriously they are out o      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 8
Let GM go bust.....no more money for them....seriously they are out of touch!!!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think we all know that the gov't is not going to allow the vehicle manufacturers in this country to fail. They can't afford to allow it.
That said, it will be bail-out after bail-out. The car market will be heavily subsidized....those cars not bought will be recycled.
They will build a certain number of cars every year, with a gov't subsidy, and all those factory workers will be keeping their big pay, big benefits jobs.
I don't know why the gov't didn't do that before....
Could have saved a lot of time, effort and trouble.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 10
Let GM go bust.....no more money for them....seriously they are out of touch!!!
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:34:46 AM
The American auto makers need to shift much of their attention from the American auto market to the Chinese auto market. There is gonna be big time money in the Chinese market as more and more Chinese are driving cars each year.
 slybandit
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/10/2009 9:54:57 AM
GM and Ford are basically a cancer, for all kinds of reasons.

1. They have proven they are incapable of being competitive. The management will blame over-inflated union salaries and 'inflexibility'. The unions will blame overpaid and incompetent management. **Both sides are right.**

2. In the short term, we're already in a near economic collapse. The alternative to financial support for GM and Ford is welfare benefits for the people no longer employed there-- which is essentially what financial support for Ford and GM is: workfare.

3. In the medium-term, the auto industry is an ecological cancer that is poisoning our environment, from greenhouse gases and global warming, to ever-growing tire dumps that will last millennia. The whole industry should be phased out and our transportation infrastructure redesigned so that people do not need cars to get around.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 12:05:44 PM
To be fair to GM management, they didn't approve the P.U.M.A. in the last 6 months, it was approved years ago when GM was still making scads of money off Hummers and Suburbans. The timing of the announcement may seem a little odd, coming as it does now in the midst of bailout discussions, but they probably thought it might make them look "greener" to announce it now.

If you look at the history of GM's concept vehicles, they have shown no lack of innovative ideas, going back as far as the 1930s. Some of the concepts explored as early as the 1950s have been eerily prophetic. The problem in the past 50 years, since Harley Earl's ouster, has been a succession of "bean-counters" making the big decisions at GM.
Frank Winchell, in the 1970s and early 1980s, sponsored the GM "Lean Machine" concept development, which nearly made it into production- but was scrapped upon his retirement.

As I remarked on the GM Fastlane blog, I personally think the R&D dollars would have been better spent improving golf carts, which is basically what the P.U.M.A. is (take a ZTR mower chassis minus the mowing deck, convert to electric operation, add a weatherproof cabin... 1% of the development cost and no new scary "balancing" tech features...)

They also just announced a new "crossover" SUV, the Traverse (basically, an ugly, boxy station wagon) and a restyled Buick Lacrosse, for those who hate the P.U.M.A. and other innovative ideas.
 oddandy
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:20:19 PM

You wonder why after market parts is such big business? Because all North American brand vehicles are GARBAGE! They are all built like Bic lighters.... throw away when it dies, and that's because it all comes down to a numbers game. Who can build the most and sell the most.

Amen. I sometimes wonder if the yahoos were thinking along the lines of a pyramid scheme. They *HAD* to know they could never keep up with the pensions and insurance (and fantastic salaries) they gave their worker. I guess they thought as long as they kept producing they could keep outselling their own debt?

In any event, I agree. In my lifetime I've experienced nothing but grief from domestic cars and never had much trouble at all with imports. Luck of the draw? Maybe, but I think not.
 barbee1970
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/10/2009 11:35:36 PM
The whole bailout idea was dumb. They should have given to tax payers
Banks we trust with our money and they can't manage it. AIG gets bailed out twice and they are in the Bahamas!

GM should take notes from other automakers as to why their cars are more marketable. Better gas mileage and they hold up better than GM.

Fords I've had were not that good. Always defective brakes or something wrong.

At work they have a '93 Chevy Pick up and a 2007 Ford F150 Pickup. The brakes on the Frod always squeak and squeal while the truck is driving. The truck sounds lke it's 100 years old. A stingy co worker holds the keys to it--he can have it!

I take the old beat up Chevy and it runs like a champ! I almost fell out though cause the door was loose, not catching at all. They fixed it though.

I never thought I'd say this, but I always had GM cars. I traded my Pontiac Sunfire in due to not so good fuel economy. It was a 4 banger with no pep. I now have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid and I love it. Handles great, rides smooth
 nipoleon
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2009 3:32:31 AM
People need to realize that GM isn't in the automobile business.
GM is in the restructuring business.
GM has been complaining for 40 years of almost being bankrupt. All they have done since the 70's is moan and complain, ask the UAW for sacrifices and concessions, and beg the public to please buy a few of their cars.

It isn't a matter that GM and Ford suddenly started building inferior cars.
The problem is, the Japanese built a better car and the Americans never caught up or even tried to catch up .

It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of engineering. The Japanese engineering is simply better, the design has been better from the start , especially the engine. It's as though a Japanese spy snuck into GM's complaint department, stole all their files, took them back to Japan, and they built a car which answered all the complaints.

GM needs to be sold off to somebody who wants to be in the car business.
 yna6
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/28/2009 7:18:12 AM
I heard one worker on TV saying she was refusing to take 14 bucks an hour building cars because she could go anywhere and make that.
Perhaps, seeing the gov't is stepping in big time, they could cut prices and rents, and thereby allow the average worker to actually keep their lifestyles while making a lower pay.
Sure...allow the big car manufacturers to fail...and watch the economy tumble right into the toilet even further. All those jobs, plus the spin-off jobs gone! For every worker lost, 5 jobs in other sectors could be lost...from parts manufacturers to truckers to the person selling coffee to them to the retail car parts shops...it affects a lot more than most people think about. But....given the right circumstance, GM could be flushed and allowed to fold. Take some of their patents and ideas that they have "vaulted" and start working on them.
I heard that one company is trying to develope a "biodegradable" car. Most of it would break down over time, rather than filling a landsite. Totally dumb idea! I want a vehicle that will last 10 years...not start rotting because it is biodegradable.
I probably won't see a car built to last for 10 years...without having to make payments that long on it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Let GM go bust.....no more money for them....seriously they are out of touch!!!