Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Dad sued by daughter after grounding      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyin-high
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Dad sued by daughter after groundingPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)

WOW I'm blown away, what business do the courts have in how parent/s discipline there children?
I’m blown away that you actually believe everything you read.

Do you honestly think a 12 year old opened the yellow pages and found herself a lawyer… and of course she knew the difference between corporate, criminal and family lawyers. I can just picture the conversation she had with the receptionist at the law firm... “Hi, I wanna sue my dad cuz he grounded me”

Or… maybe her disgruntled mother, who lost the custody battle, put her up to it.

This is exactly what happens when two parents use the kids to get even with each other. If the parents can’t decide how the child should be brought up, the courts will decide for you.

I fail to see the “WOW” factor in this story.

juan mo oclock
Msg: 4
Dad sued by daughter after grounding
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:25:29 AM
so she defies him, and the consequences of living under his roof and he's the a hole?..........sounds to me like the mother wants to be the friend instead of the parent and the father is taking the high road here.............as for the courts becoming involved, thats the real f/up here.............
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:44:31 AM

Do you honestly think a 12 year old opened the yellow pages and found herself a lawyer… and of course she knew the difference between corporate, criminal and family lawyers. I can just picture the conversation she had with the receptionist at the law firm...

This part of the article wasn't posted before:

That's when the girl asked for help from the lawyer who represented her in her parents' separation, and petitioned the court to intervene in her case.

"Going to court was a last resort," said Lucie Fortin, a legal aid attorney who represented the girl. "The question was that there was a problem between the father and the mother, and the child asked the court to intervene because it was important to her.

"The trip was very important to her."

I think any family where everyone has their own lawyers should be considered dysfunctional.
 flyin-high
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 12:00:51 PM
My point was, the courts only get involved when the parents can’t agree.

The story makes it sound like the Canadian legal system is just barging into people’s houses and telling them how to raise their kids… this family brought it upon themselves.
 susan_cd
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/8/2009 8:51:16 PM
So now besides not being able to administer corporal punishment ( ie: a spanking) parents now can't discipline their children by withdrawing privileges and/or grounding them?

Next I guess the authorities will be issuing their govt. apporved scale of what an appropriate allowance is, and what chores the child doesn't have to do....
 susan_cd
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/9/2009 4:02:59 PM

And now isn't ironic that people as adults now seek "discipline" at the Black and Blue Ball.

Dunno about you, but I haven't sought discipline there the times I've attended; I've just used the opportunity to wear and view outlandish attire. And what's this court case about adults seeking the right to S & M ?
 1northguide
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 12:14:56 PM
she learned from the best ??? great attitude,,,

it is a reflection on our society as a whole,, throw away this that ,and everything,,

maybe daddy can't ground her,, but when she is 19 has 3 kids, and lives on welfare which taxpayers will have to pay for, she will look back, and say ; gee , dad kind of knew what he was doing,, but than again, she learned from the best , so probably not,,,
 susan_cd
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/11/2009 3:31:36 PM

maybe...just maybe the Dad was being a pr#*% and overreacting and imposing his discipline without balance, fore thought and consultation with her mother.

Infact, that pretty much is why the court rejected his discipline.

You're missing the point; why does the court have any say whatsoever on how a parent ( or parents) discipline their child? Unless the parent is doing something illegal as their discipline, the court should have no say whatsoever. The parent should be able to decide who their child can & can't see, where their child can and can't go, what time their child has to be home and in bed etc etc.

The father found his child on websites the father had blocked, and he ( th efather) said she was posting inappropriate pictures of herself online. Perhaps she wasn't posting pictures, but she was going to sites he had forbidden her to visit, so that in itself warrants disciplinary action.

Heck, a parent could choose to ban their child from going onto the internet altogether and it would be the parent's decision & choice, not the child's.
 flyin-high
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:10:28 PM

why does the court have any say whatsoever on how a parent ( or parents) discipline their child?
In this case, the court has that right because the parents voluntarily went to divorce court and asked a judge to make those decisions for them.

Lesson of the day: If you don’t want to see your kids in court, don’t drag them into the court room.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:22:47 PM

the court has that right because the parents voluntarily went to divorce court and asked a judge to make those decisions for them.

Consider this case:

18-year-old can seek custody of young brothers in brainwashing battle

An 18-year-old will be allowed to seek custody of his younger brothers to help rescue them from their warring parents and therapists who hope to deprogram them, an Ontario Court judge ruled yesterday.

Judge Steven Clark expressed optimism that his precedent-setting move may help shame the parents into recognizing the destruction that they have brought upon their family.

..Jeffery Wilson, a lawyer for P.F., told Judge Clark at a hearing last month that his client's plan to raise his brothers on welfare - augmented by support payments from their parents - is feasible.

..."P.F. is essentially seeking to rescue his brothers from the professionals who are trying to deprogram them and, if necessary, to wrest them from the parents who are battling for control of them," Judge Clark said yesterday.

theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090410.BROTHER10ART2222/TPStory/?query=divorce
 susan_cd
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:31:59 PM

In this case, the court has that right because the parents voluntarily went to divorce court and asked a judge to make those decisions for them

In such a situation, the parents are abrogating their parental authority to the judge, so it isn't the court taking control of said discipline, it's the court being granted control by the parents. The judge should have scolded the parents for wasting the time of the justice system and thrown the case out of court ( it should never have gotten that far in the system in the first place).
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:40:00 PM
just goes to show that all involved have their own agenda............maybe the answer is to have court appointed observation to decide the best course of action........this can be done on a in house or surveillance case as needed...................bet a lot of mothers would be against this a lot of fathers for this .........wanna take bets?...........
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/12/2009 2:15:27 PM
yea and those assesments are based on what?.........a one hour interview after the apprpriate coaching by one's lawyer?............
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/12/2009 6:24:24 PM
not coached by one's lawyer?................bs...........thats part and parcel for any lawyer.............as for the one hour thing i am sure it is longer but who actually does the assesment and what training and creds do they have?.................suppose the price of admission to osborne house does not involve charging the spouse with abuse?...........cmon, the wraps are slowly coming off the sisterhoods ways of doing business in family court............and with more women on the bench hopfully the crocodile tears won't tip the scales in their favor...................if there is actual abuse fine, but a guy losing his temper because of out of control spending and shouting at the wife and her packing up and leaving is nonsense...........and yes it does happen.............btw, what is the wps policy on domestic disturbances?...........
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/12/2009 6:59:41 PM
it's refreshing to see an even handed viewpoint from someone in your line of work.............5 years ago it was all the man's fault no matter what............now really, are you going to stand by your claim clients are not coached by their lawyers?..........think this teen wasn't coached by her mother via the lawyer?................i'll understand if your job security involves towing the line.........and i am sincere in respecting that..........
 armaegis
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 7:28:37 PM
I'm just happy to see discourse on a dicey subject that hasn't dissolved into flaming.
 susan_cd
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/13/2009 1:29:29 PM

Instead, the father should of told his daugter of his concern for her safety instead of barring her from her trip.

The issue wasn't concern for her safety, it was her deliberately disobeying him & going/posting to those internet sites he told her ( and blocked her) to not visit.

She disobeyed, and he disciplined her ( or attempted to discipline her ) by telling her she couldn't go on the trip. After all, not much point in punishing her by telling her she can't do something she didn't want to do anyway.

Guess the lesson here is either a) parents are not allowed to use spankings or groundings to discipline their children or b) the court system has so much free time they can take on cases they have no business getting involved in.

Btw, as the case was whether or not the daughter could go on a school trip, how the heck was the case able to be heard/decided before the date of the trip? What cases were sidelined and delayed so this spoiled angel could avoid having her life disrupted?

I hope the father has the judge's cell # so next time the little darling does something wrong and he wants to discipline her he can go right to the judge to make sure it's ok.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Dad sued by daughter after grounding