Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Y dont guy's post there pic in profile??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Unchainthenight
Msg: 6
Y dont guy's post there pic in profile??Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I don't have one uploaded and even if I did, wether positive or negative, I like to take advantage of this unique opportunity to get to know someone and showcase my personality without my appearance involved in the other's person's perception of me. A load of crap you say? Well I dated someone who I met from this site for 4 months who never saw a picture of me in the first 2 weeks of online chatting before we finally met in person and because she also didn't have a pic in her profile, I declined to see one of her when she offered with this same explanation. When we met, she was very pleased and we remain great friends even now after having been appart for a 3 months or so.
We called the romance quits after about 4 months for ONE specific reason in case you're wondering but if anyone ever questions my logic here, I can use her as a referrene...LOL
She now has a picture up in her profile. I never will. My appearance has NEVER been a problem for me, just the opposite...but it's ultimately up to the person if they care to take that chance. Those who have have been pleasantly surprised..I can prove that.
 Unchainthenight
Msg: 7
Y dont guy's post there pic in profile??
Posted: 10/13/2004 3:43:45 PM
Sheeeesh!!! *Edit : reference
 brundle
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:28:00 PM
Y dont gals post there pic in profile??
 felldownstairs
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:25:30 AM
I can say that I don't post my photo, because I would prefer a woman to be interested in me for my mind first, and then my looks. As for my looks, I'd say I'm about average, so it really means nothing to me anyway about the photo. But all it takes is a person sending me a message, saying: "I'm interested, may I see a photo" sure thing. You read my post, that was enough to interest you, fine, now you can see a photo. I also find that way, you also can see how shallow the person is, because if they don't write back you after you show them the photo, then you know they are all basing it on looks anyway.

However, I can't say I've ever had that happen, as I haven't even had anyone message me to begin with. I get the feeling that most girls on here don't even bother looking at the people without photos. I personally always go straight for the accounts that don't have photos, it makes me more curious. Someone sticks a photo up of themselves, big deal, doesn't tell me anything about them. I'd rather talk the ones who can stimulate me mentally without me even knowing what they look like. And I'm not saying that I don't discriminate against looks either, it's very hard to force yourself to be with someone you aren't attracted to, but sometimes, it takes getting to know a person before you find that "wow, I am attracted to them" A photo doesn't tell the whole story. And I find that a lot of people are probably missing out, by just skimming for the photo accounts and disregarding the ones that they may find unattractive at first.

Just my opinion, take it or tell me to piss-off, makes no matter.
 GoatSmell
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/17/2004 10:21:58 AM
I'm with Felldownstairs....I'm not here trying to pick up chicks based on my (erHUM) rugged (koff) good looks. My character is my strongest selling point, so I advertise that.

Never got mail from Africa before. Though I am ranked very high by European and East Indian males. Scary...
 knight2016
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2004 3:20:23 AM
I think a lot of people are worried about someone they know seeing their pic on a dating site. But you know what? To see your pic, they had to be browsing the site as well. Hmmmm.
 Silly_Boy
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/21/2004 9:49:55 AM
Probably something to hide. Maybe they're already attached.

===

I dont get it , y dont guy's post there pic in profile, i can understand the ones that are just looking for sex but what abt the other ones... U read in there profile am a sexy, attractive blah blah..... THEN y not post it if u are all that???
 Apryl_Dawn
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/25/2004 1:51:38 PM
That's Y I post pics,2!!! No disappointment>they like what they see THEN reply..I think looks + personality go hand in hand...u need 2 be compatible in both...I'm not worried & U guys shouldn't be,, `cuz everyone has their own preferences & varying tastes, SOMEONE's bound to like ya 4 both!! & dont go by ur average rating, go by who has rated u 7 or more, its betta that way...Cuz sum fine honey's think highly of moi, & that's awesome 4 me...The 1's who voted me poorly, just don't know tho...PEACE
 Clarence
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/26/2004 11:20:31 AM
so you won't know how they really look!
 rockarollawoman
Msg: 63
i have a suggestion to likeaparasite
Posted: 11/9/2004 5:44:24 AM
you don't need to have a photo on your profile to generate replies. i don't and get mail everyday.

my suggestion, liven up your ad - redo it. instead of saying all the usual crapola people always say about themselves, tell it the way it is, or did you? PUT YOUR PERSONALITY AND FLAIR INTO THE PROFILE LIKE YOU'RE UP FOR THE BIGGEST ROLE OF YOUR LIFE IN A MAJOR HOLLYWOOD BLOCKBUSTER AND JULIA ROBERTS WAS PASSED OVER FOR YOU!

am i getting through to you?

if you can't get into it go rent school of rock and let yourself out, then go rewrite your ad!

as for why guys or women, either one, do not display their pic it's usually down to personal choice isn't it? i met one person who if they had put their picture up many fellow actors etc would have recognized them. i have my reasons, too. personally, for me, i want to generate interest based on my personality reflected in my profile and posts, not my wonderfully funny and sweet good looks (that was me being sarcastic)

rock on
 freemind
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/10/2004 4:07:15 PM
I don't post my picture becuase of a botched facelift. I have to strain to produce a somewhat tolerable expression on my mug. My tongue permantly dangles, when I speak I need a chalk board to express my words and my feelings like this :( ......

So you understand why I prefer to play it safe and make sure that the person I meet in person will have depth and be attracted to me without eyes. I won't post my picture but I have it on file just in case I want to scare off all the shallow ones that would otherwise hurt me :(
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/13/2004 3:06:53 AM
May be we got some aliens or witches (if at all it's true that their images don't get captured in a photo)
Anyway, don't know, i guess it's personal preference, may be he could have dissed you and you meet him up somewhere and slap him
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/13/2004 3:22:36 AM
Jackson, in your "any help" thread it was clearly stated that it's the situation with your pic and it appeares as though most people agreed on that, Change the pic and smile for the camera this time.
 rockarollawoman
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/13/2004 6:32:18 AM

to the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world

that's the coolest expression i've ever heard in my life!
 Kellysexybabe
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/14/2004 7:28:48 AM
guys do it too..
here are some rules for pictures

no pictures of you eating
clear pictures are good
no pictures of kids(not good)
the more naked the better

whats with the pictures with flowers and other stupid things thats what i want to know?????
 the_big_bad_wolf
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/14/2004 10:43:29 AM
o k maybyer if i had the proper eqiuptment to post a pic if i knew how and also why post your pic? if someone doesnt like you they have your pic!! think about it..
 MrFrankenstein
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/13/2004 1:51:01 AM
giggleparts made the good point that people should be comfortable with themselves.
I agree.
(However, I know Im not, and many people aren't, either :)

But having a pic on the profile is the only real way to be 'seen' - is this shallow? Yes.
A bit vulnerable? Oh yes :)
But its the way things seem to work generally.
So I grit mah teeth and up the pic and hope.

(If you don't see my pic, its still awaiting approval.

I'm not one of the 'no pic for me' team :)
 MrFrankenstein
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/13/2004 9:31:50 AM
I'd respond with something sensible but I'm too busy with the rush from the compliment from rheanna .. :)

actually, coming from the country I do, I can sort of understand why a lot of guys dont post their pix - it can be seen as an admission to the world that 'Hi, I'm a loser and single - and I cant really find a soulmate in real-life'. Now I know that isnt true, but dang, the little twinge experienced inside when I hit 'send' to upload my pic, tells me that I have a whole bunch of conditioned idea's and preconceptions about online dating that I have to override. Are my neighbours or co-workers going to see this and s at me? Is this an admission of failure in real life? You know, all those dumb thoughts that we never talk about :) (Then I look around at whats available locally, and realise, its the only sane option left to me :P )
 marcostranostra
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/13/2004 2:02:24 PM
See, this one is quite easy to explain I myself have had friends who have done this and not because they had some pretruding digusting bloated wart or growth or something but because they are just too d*mn cheap and their poor broke a** cannot even afford the busride let alone the 20 bux to shell out to get to the Walmart to get a Camera!
The Truth Hurts...Marcostranostra..
As much as I do not want to admit it I myself have had this problem at(weep...weep)one time..yes believe it I was and still am dirt cheap.....thank you this is my first post .
 Martel
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2004 3:25:19 PM
Hey Vanni -

Just ask! Some people may simply want to get to know whom the real person is before getting into superficial physical details. Of course, some people are all about the physical, and that's fine too, but there really is more to life than that. I know that I look good (well, decent well, decent, anyway) and if a woman responds to what I have written about myself without having seen a picture, then I am more likely to want to get to know her. Certainly i am like most people in that I need to be physically attracked to a woman before there could be a romantic connection, but the funny thing about physical attraction is that it changes if there is an emotional, psychic, or intellectual attraction. Personality really is very attractive, unless all one wants is sex. Nothing wrong with that at all! But, if that is what drives a person, then that person needs to be honest about his or her motives.

Martel

If some one will not send you a picture after you have made contact, however, then DELETE!
 honestly
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/20/2005 3:03:10 PM
I posted my pic. Does that mean girls will msg me now? Oh yeah, I'm a movie star too...
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 125
Posted: 11/26/2007 1:58:57 PM
When I dont see a picture at least in the message someone sends me.. it tells me Im going to be disappointed. Only once have I ever seen someone who didnt have a profile picture, and found her to be attractive.

I just recently made pictures manditory for initial contact. I am not interested AT ALL in engaging conversations with someone who is hiding. And usually, from my experienece, it's for a reason.

Pictures are as important, even more important than profiles. Just like the old fashioned approach at dating... your sitting there somewhere.. someome catches your eye... you find them attractive... your eyes meet... the rest is history.....
 EagleEric
Msg: 135
Posted: 3/7/2008 12:51:26 PM
I can only speak for a couple of examples I know of:

1. Guy is fat and hideous and ashamed to post his pic. He's hoping his not abundant charm will attract the lady. It won't in most cases. Occassionally he'll snag something, so even the horrible can find something.

2. Guy is very ill and also very appearance challenged. He just wants some company via email. He'll string you along forever without you ever meeting him.

3. Guy hates women and this forum gives him a perfect outlet to attack them. Of course, he wants to remain anonymous as possible, since he might run into his victims in the grocery store or wherever.

The Eagle
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 139
Posted: 8/6/2008 2:16:28 PM
There is not excuse for not posting your photo on a dating site. No matter your profession, if you are looking, you are looking! Who cares? Unless you are hiding your non so attractive looks or you are married, there is no reason not to post your picture on dating sites.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 142
Posted: 8/7/2008 2:17:52 PM

let me explain and if you do not understand then i would never be interested anyway.my story is differant.i date models i know the only reason they date me is because how i look and there is much more to me than that.i want a women who wants me for me.because i am kind caring understanding just a good guy.most women who meet me or just into the looks what about am i a nut or crazy.when women meet men like me or look like me and things do not work out the women says he is a nut.thats why i say looks or overated and therefor no picture if you like me as a person my looks are a bonus.i have given women pictures though but i will not post one.nothing to hide not a secreat life or something and i get alot of emails and dates not because i am goodlooking no because i am a good guy.bye the way were is your picture i have jokes too.

So you don't post pictures just because you "date models". I have dated models too and I post my pictures. You want women to look at you not for a picture because you think you are good looking. But by the way you write, with all those gramatical errors you don't sound as intelligent as you want us to perceive from you pal!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Y dont guy's post there pic in profile??