Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Who has used dental dams for oral sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newblue1970
Msg: 1
Who has used dental dams for oral sex?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I know to be 'safe' and 'careful' we're all supposed to use condoms for vaginal and male oral sex, but what about oral sex on a female. My biggest turn on is giving oral and I just cant imagine using a dental dam. I think it would lose all the intimacy and fun and feeling that I get from performing oral sex. Licking a piece of plastic wrap is so NOT exciting!

Has anyone ever actually USED a dental dam? How was it from either persons side?
 shipoker58
Msg: 2
Who has used dental dams for oral sex?
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:04:55 AM
I have, in the early days of the AIDS pandemic. But it was just silly to me. I did it once and thought it wasn't worth the effort, although I taught their use, as an HIV prevention instructor.

one of those do as I say, not as I do situations

...JMO
 abelian
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:11:26 AM
I can say that I'm not ever going to use one. In 25+ years I've never contracted anything, so I'm going to continue relying on judgment. There comes a point where you have to look at the real risk or you would start worrying about how to protect yourself from lightening strikes and not go out when you hear thunder.
 celts123
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:09:52 PM
I would rather not give / receive oral sex than use condoms or dental dams.
 abelian
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:19:53 PM

Just one question thats all i wanted to post, but what is a dental dam

In practice, it's a piece of plasic wrap that a person performing oral sex on a woman uses to create a barrier against mouth/tongue-to-genital contact.
 LCangelofmusic
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:25:06 PM
Personally, the idea of condoms and dental dams to me, sounds pointless.

Unless I am in a monogamous relationship, I use condoms for sex. And generally, do not engage in oral just because it is possible to contract diseases.

I think it is important to use judgment, assess risks and know the person you are involved with sexually.

But it would be nice to be in a monogamous relationship with a clean individual where condoms and dental dams are not necessary.
 whytwater
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:17:12 PM

Having a slight latex fetish

LOL! Kinda like mentioning that I have barely noticeable homicidal tendencies during debates. But, I can make it work. Lol.
OP, I've never used one. Would be alot like chewing on the crotch of her jeans, only slightly more effective than going through the tongue motions at a distance of 20 yards, and nobody gets happy about that.
 widowsdesire
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:49:37 PM
I invented a cherry flavored tongue condom. It works better than a dental dam.
The next thing we are going to hear is don't kiss anyone because of the risks of kissing,
and this device works great! Just kidding.

As a medical professional I know what is suggested but in reality, I don't follow the guidelines. I was married for the last 18 years in a monogamous relationship up until the death of my husband. I knew with certainty my status was clean at the time of his death. I am so out of practice with dating and dealing with the process of screening a potential partner, that I like the previous gentleman said, have a "do as I say not as I do" attitude. I do not engage in casual sex. I have not gotten involved in anything sexual without knowing my partner well and knowing what I was engaging in was not being taken as casual. We are currently involved in a monogamous relationship. I am afraid with all my knowledge of risk, the two of us had the STD discussion after the horse was already out of the barn. Feeling pretty dumb about it, but its a little late now and can not undo what is done. Hopefully this relationship will be my last one. If it is not I will try and be smarter next time.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 8:34:14 PM
Ok a dental dam is for performing oral on a woman w/ a piece of latex that is supposed to cover the exposed area.

Does making a dental dam out of a condom during an oral presentation in college on safe sex and wagging your tongue at the class thru it count as using one? That's the closest I have come to it and no partner was involved. The looks on my teacher's and classmate's faces was priceless! Then again I think the latex flavor of any of them would also be a fun killer in that activity.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:45:50 PM
Working in reproductive health, dental dams these days are thinner and bigger, not like the ones from the 80's or 90's . Some people use double layers of Saran Wrap. Remember we are talking about non monogamous folks and those who haven't or wont get tested. And for women with genital herpes and other vaginal health concerns, using a dental dam can protect the giver as well as the receiver.

~Beth~
 Romny
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:19:51 AM
dear newblue...

here's an idea...

DON'T GO SOUTH ON ANYONE YOU DO NOT TRULY KNOW...

what a concept eh?
 newblue1970
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:13:30 AM

DON'T GO SOUTH ON ANYONE YOU DO NOT TRULY KNOW

Thanks, but I got that already. And no junkies or streetwalkers for me either, BDJ. It was just a question if anyone ever used that kind of protection.

There seem to be lots of people that are so militant about STDs and safe sex (not that that is really a bad thing) but I was curious if they or anyone else actually used dental dams. I think its a bit hypocritical to use condoms for STD prevention, but then have unprotected oral sex.

I'd rather know the person and their history and then take the 'calculated risk.'
 ZenBeth
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:06:41 PM

azalea7 :I've used two and three layers of plastic wrap. Slick it up and it can be fun.I used it with partners who I knew were contagious. I didn't want to make them pariahs just 'cause of that. Dental dams and stuff are called barriers, but I don't think of them that way. Safe sex is freeing.

Also shows a sincere concern for ones partner and not just oneself.

Azalea I am liking you more and more every day. Classy lady.

~Beth~
 marissais5
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:40:10 PM
As I shake my empty plastic wrap box and ponder the idea of my full box of tin foil? hmmmm......lmao.......I get tested and I am more then welcome to whip out my no std report to anyone who I am with in a monogamous relationship.
 OnionHead68
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:44:51 PM
I think they are ridiculous! They take the best part out of it. I prefer the cake and eat it too idea. I want whats cumming to me when she is ready.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:46:47 PM

Well iv never heard of them before, why call them dental dams though if they are purely for oral sex? why not call them something more fitting for protection against oral sex than something i would ask my dentist for. Maybe there called something else here in the UK.

Called that because that is where they came from. Dentists use a small piece of latex when working on some teeth for some proceedures.. normally those that produce a lot of excess waste or are *messy*. The original form has a small hole in it that is fitted around a tooth, the excess material forms a barrier inside the mouth containing the waste from the dental proceedure. Some smart person decided that it would make an excellent barrier for oral sex. Only it's larger and no hole. *big grin* I've seen them in the pharmacy right beside the condoms.

You can use a condom in a pinch, or as some others have noted plastic wrap. It's suggested to mark in some fashion the *up* and the *down* side and always have the *up* facing upwards... further increasing the prevention factor. Presumably if you keep your partners side to your partner, then you can't catch whatever might be lingering on their side of the dam. I've also heard the suggestion to use lube on the underside to increase sensation.

I've never used them...
 longlocks40
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:06:44 PM
People never seen a dental l dam or they think it is made up.
I volunteer for planned parent hood at events and hand out dental dams out... guess what people do not have a clue what they are or how to use them. I give them the lubricant sample and tell them place the lube on the skin and then place the denatl dam on it. People are shocked.
 TOwoman1
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:57:08 AM
I'm glad that it was clarified that these are made of latex, not plastic. I rarely have people ask for them at clinic, although I have been asked to provide them during workshops. They can also be used for rimming.
 StraightTalker2
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/23/2009 8:46:06 AM
7Rainbows
They are called dental dams as dentists use then to catch the stuff they grind out of teeth. Swallowing the old mercury laden filling materials is supposed to be bad.

A wide open mouth had a lot in common with a, well you know, and so they became a preferred item during the early AIDS/HIV hysteria.

marissais5
That certificate is only as good as the day it is printed. With a 3 month incubation period whipping out the paperwork does not count for much. I will be happy to be corrected on those figures though.

I feel there is enough research to prove that the risk is negligible, not zero, but low enough for bare-back with either sex.
 TOwoman1
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/23/2009 12:04:30 PM
StraightTalker2 uses the term "bareback". This misnomer may lead people to think that he is talking about vaginal or anal intercourse without protection. Let's be clear about risks with unprotected oral sex on the vulva. Yes, it is low-risk for HIV (although, for men having multiple unprotected oral sex partners, their risk for contracting HIV is much higher, because many have already gotten syphilis this way). The most common STI contracted with unprotected oral sex on a woman is herpes (with a "giver's" history of cold sores leading to HSV-1 on the genitals). Not the end of the world because it is generally less frequently recurrent than HSV-2 and often not as painful. No amount of paperwork is going to help you out here.
 Ice-ey9
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/23/2009 12:38:24 PM
Never used them, and never will. I don't believe in using condoms for oral sex either. I believe, if you have doubts about a partner's sexual history, then either get tested or refrain from sex.
 Eye have you
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:12:36 PM
While were at it lets put condoms over our tounges when we kiss too. General rule going down on someone is not a hand shake, you dont do that to every partner. Just the ones your seriouse with.
 HazelRose
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:59:09 PM
Hey there are some tasty condoms out there! Don't knock it until you try it! People, make a habit of checking in from time to time at adult stores like The Secret and Good Vibrations (aimed at women) or Spencer's (aimed at everyone). There are some things there for every taste.
 undulating
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/23/2009 5:08:11 PM
I prefe to use a grocery bag, "plastic please". Every now and again, I'll use paper. I just spit on it and it sticks, like my favorite merkin.
 gtomustang
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/24/2009 4:58:33 AM
From what I remember, microwavable plastic wrap (do they still make that?) WAS NOT a good substitute for a dental dam, due to its increased porasity in order to be microwavable.

Betcha they don't put THAT on the box....

as for using one, well....yeah....I'd rather just use a finger w/ no cuts on it, than tasting plastic all night long. Crunch crunch crunch. Somehow just the sound seems less romantic.

risky, I know....but driving w/out ABS in my old car is also risky, so....we plan ahead, and take our calculated risks, right?
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Who has used dental dams for oral sex?