Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 surely im shirley
Msg: 2
Beauty over 45 - Susan BoylePage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I guess we have to watch the video to understand this.
 best kept secret
Msg: 3
Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle
Posted: 4/16/2009 10:05:25 AM
It was wonderful to see her blow the skeptics away with her amazing talent!

What a sweet woman...every time I watch it, I sigh
 bernta
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:34:28 AM
I know it's cliche', but Susan Boyle is the perfect reason to "not judge a book by its cover".

We, collectively, talk so much on here about attraction, looks, weight, height, etc. etc. but this woman, in one moment of brilliance, showed that all of that really means very little in the face of true beauty.

Her performance is stellar! Her beauty is undeniable. Her gift to us is the chance to see with new eyes.

If you haven't watched the video...treat yourself!
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:03:26 PM
Fabulous voice.

Fabulous performance.

Fabulous woman.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:03:41 PM
I saw just a quick speil on this gal last nite. Simon Cowell (sp) was a judge. When she came out, you could tell the panel of judges thought "Oh, yeah, here we go" another waste of time. Then the lady began to sing! Their jaws absolutely dropped! And Simon was quoted to have said that he knew she had an awesome singing voice the whole time. This poor lass has been through so very much in her life. I hope she goes all the way and finally begins to enjoy life!
 ringo17
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:22:34 PM
Many years ago, I went to a club in town called Blues Alley and they introduce this kinda chubby blond, who I'm sure very few people there had ever heard of before. It was Eva Cassidy and I've loved her since that day. The art in music or anything else for that matter is transferring pure emotion to others. Janis Joplin wasn't very pretty, but she could make you laugh or cry at the sound of her voice. Some people are good singers but they don't make you feel anything. I had a friend who was technically a great guitarist and never missed a note but he could not emote. Another friends father played piano for the NSO and had two Steinway's in his basement, he played a Rachmaninoff concerto for us one night and I was literally struck dumb by the beauty of it. When he finished, I could not speak.
 cfb62
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:41:36 PM
LOVE Love LOVE her!
 ringo17
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:58:18 PM
Okay, I watched it,I'm crying, are you happy now OP.
 lorelei540
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/16/2009 2:09:34 PM
Ringo I went to high school with Eva Cassidy (& her brother Danny). They were both so shy & unassuming, and so incredibly talented. She had to be coaxed onto the stage for our low-rent "battles of the bands" back in the day. I wonder what she might have produced had she lived longer, but what a gift it is to have the few recordings we do have of her incredible voice.
 ringo17
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 2:46:17 PM
Lorelei, I've had quite a lot of fantastic musical experiences in my life, but that night in Georgetown was in the top five of my memories. I was mesmerized by her voice and even though I was in a trance, I remember it vividly. I guess she hypnotized me.
 ringo17
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:03:44 PM
FFS... Find the one with her and Chuck Brown, you'll love it.
 ringo17
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:45:54 PM
I don't know if I was really crying... I mean there is a lot of pollen here now... and... uh...you know.....
 Ron9
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/16/2009 4:27:29 PM
Tears ran down my face ......... TWICE when I watched the video the 2nd time.

I am so very very happy for that lady.
 SueCat51
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 4:29:01 PM
I've seen the video several times. You can't help but fall in love with this woman! She's funny, she's full of confidence, and like she said "I will rock the audience". I have no doubt that she's got contracts lined up. I pray that they don't do a make-over (physical) for her. Her curly hair, her eyebrows, and her whole features are what makes Susan, SUSAN. I hope it isn't taken away from her.

Last but not least, the video sends a message to each of us, not to give up on our dreams. If you work hard, persevere, and believe in yourself, one day it will happen.
 Feather Sandwich
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:06:39 PM
She was wonderful, really touching. Reminded me a little bit of Rita McNeill, the plain-looking, shy & awkward, yet confident , woman with the beautiful voice.

I gotta ask you guys though, since the topic is "Beauty over 45", would you have dated her before you knew she was probably going to be really famous?
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:29:19 PM
My seventeen year old daughter put it perfectly when we watched the clip...she said that she (Susan Boyle), looked like all she wanted out of auditioning was to have her one moment in the spotlight.

I think what is so beautiful about her is the fact that she doesn't seem to have a clue as to why she was loved so much.

*mae* flowers
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/16/2009 7:38:29 PM
...It was indeed one of those 'feel good moments' it brought me to tears...and I felt a sense of sadness too, to know she was nearly 48 and had never been kissed. Makes one think does it not?

...maeflowers
 Moonchild51
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 7:45:25 PM
Yes Miss Mae, I too found it said this darling gal hasn't ever been kissed! I just now watched the video in full, and yes, she made my teary! What a wonderful wonderful gift this lady has! I truly do hope her life changes direction now, and bring all of the good things to her. Shame on the judges for judging her based on looks. Think it could teach us all a lesson!
 OldFolkie
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:07:19 PM
Like all of you, and millions more around the world, she literally took my breath away with that performance. I'm not ashamed to say that I cried when I heard it, and again the second time, and the third. What a glorious example of the triumph of the human spirit.

I think what I love most was the expression on Simon's face when she began to sing, and the stunned, then tumultuous reaction of the audience.

I heard today that she has been offered a recording contract. I hope that we will be priveledged to hear more of her music.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:12:03 PM
I have played music as a professional hobby ( it means I made money) for 25+years (retired not long ago) and have worked with my share of local pretty package singers. What people seem to forget is that we hear with our ears not our eyes. A pretty face may fill the house but the voice is really what the musical part of it is all about in this case. Susan Boyle was a reminder that we hear with our ears and not our eyes. Kudos to those who are remembering this.

Oh and its okay to cry no matter what the gender when the idea behind the song it to move you to that point. If it has then it has achieved its goal
 Feather Sandwich
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:17:07 PM
But guys, would you date her? Would you be the first to kiss her? Take away the qualifier, "before you knew she would be famous" in my previous question.

Knowing she had that voice, is she beautiful to you now and would you date her?
 best kept secret
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:36:28 PM
Well, very rarely do people either, classically beautiful or not get to show off their inner beauty...and many a good man has fallen in love with that, so you never know...she may get her honey and a first kiss yet!
Besides, I bet she changes her appearance for the better now with the help of some very caring folks!

They're playing her clip again on TV as I write!

I, also heard that Simon already has plans for her.....

EDIT:
I just heard she has been ask to appear on the Oprah show....get ready Susan!
 hellosara
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:36:43 PM
What a beautiful voice, very talented. I hope she gets a record contract. I read one of the replys, and yes this is a time when you see with your ears and not with your eyes.
 Feather Sandwich
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:43:03 PM
*Starstuff*, I think my question was very relevant to the title of the thread and considering that we are on a dating site.

I agree that Susan Boyle is a remarkable woman with admirable strength and guts, and inner beauty. Not to mention the voice of an angel.

Those are all beautiful qualities to possess and to be in the presence of. I wondered if they made a previously-unkissed woman more desirable, considering how much drivel gets spouted around here about looks not mattering & inner beauty being the real prize.

Don was honest enough to say not and I thank him for that. I don't feel that a whole thread on who would or would not date Miss Boyle is necessary.
 lbiker
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/16/2009 9:10:01 PM
I so admired her courage, and loved how she delivered that song. She never appeared to notice how the people looked at her. She was so amazing, and to see her experience her dream, is breathtaking. What a wonderful video. I wish her the best.

Lbiker
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle