Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you love your job?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 1
Do you love your job?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do you love your job? Do you even like it? Do you dread going to work, or do you look forward to seeing your co-workers?

One thing that strikes me with the people that have millions and billions is that with that much money it has to be ego-driven, or something. How much money does a person need to live a satisfying existance?

I lost an elderly friend to Leukemia last December. He was 87. He always talked with fondness about the restaurnant he managed and his customers and his wonderful employees. He kept in touch with them and they with him thirty years later, and they brought their children to see him. He had great job satisfaction!

Then I discovered Morrie Schwartz, who was a fireball of a man. He passed away in 1995 of ALS (Lou Gehrig Disease). He was born to be a teacher, and he did that pretty much right up to his last breath, and beyond because I did not get my lessons from him until 2009. [Tuesdays With Morrie: a book, a movie, and three Nightline interviews with Ted Koppel]

Many things he that he taught Mitch Albom, not about dying but about living, resonate constantly in my brain. One thing he said was that living is about doing what you WANT to do instead of what you think you HAVE to do.

I have a co-worker, with a wife that is in her thirties that was just diagnosed with ALS, which is a guaranteed death sentence. "It melts you like a candle."

For me, right now, this is an interesting conversation, and a lot of Soul searching, hopefully for everyone that might read and respond to this thread.

We make families and have obligations. The economy sucks. Do we choose benefits over peace of mind? Are we happy? How much money do we really need to pay our bills? Do you really need that boat? What makes you happy?

Do you not like going to your job, but know that is what you HAVE to do. Now let me ask you this: Are you more happy or unhappy, overall? Do you think you might be happier if you were otherwise employed, but feel completely stuck, and you witness your blood pressure rise, your health suffer, and your temper often flare for no reason.

My car is six years-old, but only has 31,000 miles on it. I can drive this car easily for at least another six years. I have one very good, trusted friend, and when able we have both extended ourselves towards each other in times of need. I did the math, and with all of my bills paid off, I could actually live off $15,000 a year. Do I aspire for more? Well, I should hope so, but that is the minimum I need to keep me happy!

Is keeping up with the Jones' (as they say) causing you more stress and distress? The Wilkinsonson's just got the latest whatever, and got a new car, and so on. The point I am making is that if there are so many people on POF and other dating sites, when there is still the old-fashioned way pre-computers, perhaps maybe our focus has gotten blurred. How many have grandparents or parents married for fifty years, whereas now marriage is like leasing a car! (That is a little off the thread topic, but related, because when we are always seeking more, we will never be happy with what we have!)

If you could take a cut in pay, but go to a job you love, would you? If you love instead of dread going to work, it isn't like work at all!

Then, we have to ask another question. A man with whom I work has a wife that thinks money grows on the trees in the back yard. She went spending crazy even though this man works like crazy to maintain their house and the tuitions and the sports. I supppose if you are here on POF, that marriage or whatever isn't anymore; however, if you came home and said, "I am tired of being a slave to a job I hate, and I am going to go after another job that pays much less, but I will be happier" that could cause some strife, also.

Life is all about choices. I hope that I am able to look back and say that I think I made mostly the most beneficial ones, because sometimes right and wrong are relative terms.

GOOD LUCK, AND PEACE, HAPPINESS, and GOOD HEALTH TO ALL!
 Got Trance
Msg: 2
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:51:22 AM
I sure do love my job.
For the past 10 years I have been delivering pizza. Talk about a no stress, easy and fun job.
I get to be outdoors, interact with customers and have time to myself.
Took the job part time when I got divorced to pay child support. Several months later the day job I had working 40 hours a week closed their doors. Three days later I got a job working 40 hours a week at a plastic blow molding company.
All the while the boss kept telling to quit delivering pizza. That it was a kids job. He was going to make me a shift manager. Which meant more money per hour. Just not enough to quit delivering pizza. I really needed the extra money for child support.
I was working around 75 hours a week and had no life working both jobs.
I did the math and decided I could deliver pizza full time working 40 hours a week.
I would have a life again and still have money.
10 years later I'm still at it.
 oddandy
Msg: 3
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:10:08 AM
I love my work, and honestly that has made a HUGE impact on my life. I think a lot of people tend to forget that how much we like or dislike or jobs has a great impact on our overall happiness.
 Gladys Friday
Msg: 4
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:14:21 AM
Yep, I love my job! I'm retired so I do nothing. I wake up in the morning & think "dang I have nothing to do today", then I go to bed at night & think, "dang I did nothing today" & it took me all day to get it done. My boss thinks I'm soooo good at it she has me do the same thing the next day! I love my job!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 5
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:26:41 AM
Yes, I do.

One thing that strikes me with the people that have millions and billions is that with that much money it has to be ego-driven, or something. How much money does a person need to live a satisfying existance?

Usually people that have aquired jillions of dollars through hard work and long hours have become rich for the fact that they do love what they are doing and that is what gives them a satisfying existence. Maybe they started out with the money not being a factor one way or the other. To stop what they are doing simply because of a monetary figure would be to stop doing what they love, basically stop living and following what makes them happy, in essence to quit existing altogether in the style that they know.
Whatever driving force that propelled them to the higher echelons in the first place is so powerful that it doesn't one day just stop. And especially when a pre-judged numeric value is attained, making many of them the people who aren't in it for the money.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 6
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 9:39:12 AM
Gladys is retired? You make me stink!

I'm lucky to have a job and it would be perfect if people weren't so messy and lazy

NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 7
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:26:53 AM
I have some family firends that are completely into money. He said that he wanted to be able to touch one million dollars with his fingertips before he dies... He has done that, and they have a house with a gate, a tennis court, and a swimming pool. They treat their workers like doo-doo on the bottom of their shoes, even people that have been loyal to them for thirty years.

These are people I have known since I was about eight years-old, and they sadden me. They have a "Don't you know who I AM?!" demeanor, and are not all that nice to the loyal workers that have worked for them for a very long time.

I am thrilled for the people that are happy in their jobs, but I think I have presented fodder for thought for the people that begrudgingly go to work.

Money is a necessity to survive, no doubt. Could you relinquish a job that is dissatisfying, take a cut in pay, be happier while paying your bills?

The initial question stands, "Do you love your job?" If not ,then why do you stay?
 jibgirl
Msg: 8
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:31:41 AM
I hate my job.I am a reastaurant manager.Iworked a full serveice restaurant for the last 17 years.I loved my job.I had such a passion for it.It was really like my second home,we were all like family.I had such a good crew,everyone was there for 3 plus years.I of course made lots of money and spent lots of money.Always wanting the finer things in life.Life was good,until hurricane ike came along and destoyed the restaurant.Since than i,ve bounced around here and there.Having a hard time finding something that payed well,i was going in debt really quick,my bills were piling up.Found a job that pays extremely well,but i am so unhappy,but the bills are getting paid.I keep saying a couple more ,months,and i,ll be financially caught up,to take that pay cut,but its hard to hang in there one more day,let alone months down the road.I like your friends wife,thought money grew on trees.I could afford anything i wanted,always had money for vacation,out to eat,that cute outfit at Macy,s ,I really had life good.If didn,t have the money i charged.Didn,t need a man,for what,my kids were grown,i didn,t need him financially,so i stayed single,after all men have left a bad taste in my mouth for quite awhile.Now 6 months later,I really have taken a hard look at myself ,I definitely am not the same person i was a year ago. i ,ve been knocked down a few pegs ,which i needed,sometimes you forget just what side of the tracks you came from.So although i,m still miserable at my job.I,m a much better person today.I truly believe everything happens for a reason
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 9
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:42:55 AM
jibgirl,
It sounds like you have experience and skills, and I wish you the BEST!

You are the first person tonrespond here and suggest that while your bills are being met, you would be happier elsewhere.

Sorry about Ike, but that means so little....
 ripley65
Msg: 10
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:47:46 AM

Do you love your job?

Absolutely! Been working in nursing homes for years now and wouldnt want to do anything else! The pay sucks ( am currently attending college to upgrade, but same line of work) and its a constant struggle to pay bills. Living check to check sucks a**, but im happy right where im at. Do i drive a new car? Oh hell no. My house needs work done on it, and i do my shopping at Meijers. lol But when my alarm goes off at night and im getting ready for work, i do so with a smile on my face knowing im going to a job i love.
 joanne1357
Msg: 11
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:58:42 AM
I did- really--- til I got laid off-- then had a heck of a time finding anything. Took a position in a nursing home doing federal paperwork. So far its not what I expected & am quite unhappy . However if I get more of an orientation perhaps it will turn out ok. Right now its paying the bills. Am hoping for the best
 HoneyI`mHome
Msg: 12
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 11:04:01 AM
i absolutely love my career!.. i`ve been doing it now for over 20 yrs!.. and as for my co-workers.. i absolutely adore them (these are the ones that make me wanna go to work)!.. there are a few i don`t care for (but thats to be expected).. when i first started in the dept i`m at now.. it was a pay cut.. i felt it (trying to make it as a single parent isn`t easy).. i was getting paid more in a different dept. (i work in a hosp) before i had started in this one.. but since i`ve been there (almost a year) i have gotten 2 pay raises!.. when your dealt w/a pay cut.. you learn how to live w/what your given (well i did).. my 2 children & myself made it!.. i have never lived 'outside of my means'.. i give credit to my step-dad for teaching me to keep grounded threw anything!.. i haven`t changed since i had gotten my 2 pay raises.. i still buy clothes, food, foot wear, makeup, etc on sale.. sure i could choose to live outside of my means.. but then what would that be teaching my children?!.. ..
 james_21
Msg: 13
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 11:12:18 AM
I used to work for a Secoundary school (High school) as a Junior IT technician

I loved the job but i started to hate the people that were supposed to be my work colleagues, the team i worked with were great, but the teachers who we were ment to be equal level with treated you as tho you were a lower class, for people that were on a much higher salary then i was they had incredible debts, i was on £40 a week as i was only a trainee and was on this for two years before i was giving the option of a raise, but they constantly slanted the work we did for them, it actually took about a year before i made some actual teacher friends only because they were junior teachers themselves and were giving the same stick as us.

But i did love the job, but i had to move on because i had become so unhappy with the treatment i recieved, i now work at a agency that supports national health service but i feel actually more human again, and the pays better but the job is a major downgrade from what i did before and i dont feel happy with what im doing anymore. Starting to think more of do I love my career then my job as i feel i have to jump through alot of qualification hoops now because im self taught but i dont have a piece of paper to say im trained in something

Sorry this is long in the tooth isint it :), but i i think its right people look at how much money there getting and see that as a payoff for bieng unhappy, that and a kind of social status badge as well.
 Erai
Msg: 14
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 11:15:12 AM

"Do you love your job?" If not ,then why do you stay?

I'm not quite sure what you're espousing? That everyone must have a job they love. There would be a massively high unemployment rate if that were the case. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a thing they love that could potentially be a career. I don't.

People constantly aske me, if you could make money doing what you love what would you do. I love sleeping and eating... do they pay people to do that? I don't think so, so I do the next best thing. Work at a job, which, whilst I don't love, I certainly don't hate, for one third of the time and that means I can spend the other two thirds doing what I like to do.
 barbee1970
Msg: 15
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 1:07:24 PM
Actually, I am a high school janitor, but I do love the job itself. As for certain co-workers, the immature, childish one I can do without.

He won't stop bad mouthing me. He's been called on it, but he won't shut his mouth for anything. We only work together, nothing more. His mentality is that of an 8 yr old. Otherwise, for the most part, I love my job!

I have full benefits and can retire at 55 if I wanted to. I doubt if I'll be ready, though.
 tarantino_fan
Msg: 16
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 1:21:47 PM
Currently I work in a kitchen at a Boys Town, the job itself is easy. It's not that hard to count and to cook. The part of my job that I dislike: Lazy coworkers, the children that come in and yell at us, call us every obscenity in the book, and the people that are house parents. I get paid 10 bucks an hour to cook, the get paid 10 bucks an hour to get beat up. Who do you think has it made?

But this job will be short lived, as I'm going to cosmetology school in July, and need to find another job that I can work in the evenings.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 1:23:26 PM
another one who HATES her job!

i babysit tax auditors and it is as boring as it sounds...
 james_21
Msg: 18
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 2:27:19 PM
I have a image of grown men in diapers throwing financial statements at each other now
 DivineBovine
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 2:32:24 PM
^^^^ nothing so interesting...

almost all of the audit staff in our department (retail sales tax for the government) are in their 30s. i've never seen anyone throw financial statements around, but when you see the way some businesses provide their records to us, there are times when we are sorely tempted to have a bonfire and roast marshmallows!

james_21
Msg: 20
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 2:45:21 PM
I thought those were company training days

sorry to lead the topic off

Maybe its the people that seem to crop up all the time in different jobs that make it not feel worthwhile sometimes
 geeleebee
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 2:55:26 PM
I am a Sign Language interpreter, and I work at a high school with Deaf and hard-of-hearing students, most of whom are mainstreamed. Our department has five interpreters and one teacher of the Deaf at the high school level, and it has been the best experience of my 27 years in public education.
We all agree that coming to 'work' is a delight. The kids are amazing with each other and with us.
I love what I do--I always have. I am one of the rare few who can't wait to get to their job. That has much to do with the blessings I receive from the children with whom I work.
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 22
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:05:30 PM

I would like to HAVE a job!!! Anyone need a secretary who is great at computers?
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:14:04 PM
i work for a huge law firm. i run copies of briefs, depos, contracts and closing documents. very detailed work, it requires diligence and focus. i handle documents with thousands of pages that i have to keep in a precise order. i also scan and bind documents.

recession? you wouldn't know it by the work we do. real estate keeps me hopping, with multiple closings daily. and litigation has some huge clients, including an enormous university and several medical centers.

i love the pace and the amount of work. i always have something to do, with little down time.

someday i hope to do something a bit more in line with my background...maybe a part-time position in a greenhouse or garden center. but my work does make me happy and i enjoy participating in work that supports the overall well-being of the community.
 toyoux
Msg: 24
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:30:15 PM
My current "job" doesn't pay well.........in fact, it doesn't pay at all! I don't have one! I'm going back to school to study in a field I find fascinating..........SO! I'm pretty darn happy!
 Mike324
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Do you love your job?
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:43:13 PM
I've been at my job for over 11 years. I love it. I don't exactly make a fortune but it pays the bills and gives me some extra spending cash. With the current economy, at least we still have jobs right? (no offense to those who don't)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you love your job?