Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > helping a teenaged girl get fit      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 maybeangel
Msg: 1
helping a teenaged girl get fitPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I am wondering if anyone has some unique ideas on how I can get my almost 15 year old daughter moving.

She is a little overweight, and it is starting to affect her more and more. We are working hard on nutrition and healthy eating. We try to walk in the evenings, and she does take a dance class.

I am looking for tips and ideas that can increase her confidence( she isn't very co-ordinated) and help her to want to be more physically fit. We are on a budget, so we need ideas that we can try without a big start up cost.

Thanks for the help!
 eschec mat
Msg: 2
helping a teenaged girl get fit
Posted: 4/22/2009 1:05:03 PM
It sounds like you are on the right track! The fact that your family is watching what they eat, made a lifestyle change is such a great thing! You are walking with her, that is wonderful! Dance class wow! I think you are doing a great job. The only suggestion would be to see if you could get her to join some clubs. Drama club is a great club to bring you out of your shell. I know a really shy friend of mine joined, actually that is how we became friends. She lost weight, changed her hair style, started wearing makeup, and really blossomed.

Keep up the great work!
 goatzilla
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/22/2009 1:30:34 PM
Here's a little tip.
If you're on a budget, go to a garage sale and get a stationary bike, you'll be amazed what you can find.

When you daughter wants to watch TV have her ride the bike while she watches.

I belong to a great fitness center and that's what we all do there. Get on the aerobic machines and walk or ride while we watch TV.
An hour of exercise goes by and you don't give it a thought:-)
 ~vhdc~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:20:27 PM
I'm going to disagree with the above poster on the stationary bike. GET HER OUT of the house and into the world. Go hiking, Walk the dog a few miles...do anything but don't encourage her to sit in the house on a bike.
 Strapping_Young_Lad
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:42:27 PM
I actually quite like the bike-TV idea - why not kill two birds with one stone? She's going to watch the TV at some point; she may as well be active instead of just vegging out on the sofa, plus it's an easy way to make 30 minutes of cardio seem like nothing (and fun). The extra walking and dance classes are enough, especially at her age with her crowded schedule - you don't want to overwork her and make her get burnt with the whole fitness idea. Everything in moderation, one step at a time. Most of the weightloss will come from proper diet, so don't fret too much on the excercise regime as you seem to have a decent balance already.
 Munsterbear
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:53:13 PM
Sometimes it the little things that can really help.

Keep lot's of filtered water in fridge. And of course drink it. Being chilled with actually cause the body to burn a few extra calories heating the water in your body and can help stop snacking

Not eating after 7 or 8 in the evening. etc etc but it sounds like you have being doing the healthy eating.

I personally find it distracting to be watching TV and exercising but I love to use a lot of visualisation. Eg. When I run. I know the distance of my route and the land marks like this corner is 800 metres etc etc. And in my head I'm thinking of being in an Olympic race and the crowd are cheering etc. Maybe I'm just a bit mad ha ha

Light toning work is great. Women are often afraid they will bulk up. But keep the reps high and the weight low. Chest Press and Chest Flyes are great obviously for your chest and therefore your breasts and toned arms are so hot! Plus the fitter you are, the more calories you will actually burn so keep the motivation going, it can get easier.

But well done it sounds like you are doing a great job
 goatzilla
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/22/2009 4:20:18 PM
Thanks "Textures Awake"
I didn't have to come back and do the explaining, you did it for me.
cheers
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/22/2009 5:14:38 PM
...She is a little overweight, and it is starting to affect her more and more. We are working hard on nutrition and healthy eating. We try to walk in the evenings, and she does take a dance class...

Juts keep doing what you are doing.

No need to complicate things.

Healthy eating with moderate exercise will work for 90% of the population.

Main thing to remember that no amount of exercise will make up for a poor diet, so do not look at exercise as a replacement for it, but an addition to a healthy lifestyle.
Posted: 4/22/2009 5:41:56 PM

Not eating after 7 or 8 in the evening.

This is a myth. Your body has no clock and does not have any idea what time it is. When you put food into your body it is processed according to your metabolism. The only reason to avoid food in the evening is if you gave reached your calorie total for the day.

Light toning work is great. Women are often afraid they will bulk up. But keep the reps high and the weight low.

The vast majority of women simply do not have the ability to bulk up. They do not have enough testosterone to bulk.

The "toning" by low weight/high rep theory is another myth. Toning is simply a matter of having a low body fat percentage. The low body fat reveals the muscle.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:24:21 PM
Last night on Dancing With The Stars they noted the amount of calories the dancers use up practicing 2-3 hrs per day. And I know kids who get the use of the fitness center in exchange for 2 hrs of free work. Around here we can use the schools gym for basketball and local parks for tennis and soccer. And in the teen years when kids are growing so fast, its not unusual for them to be less than coordinated. Also check the local freecycle.org groups near you for free fitness equipment,

~Beth~
 eschec mat
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:33:53 PM
Actually the eating after a certain time has to do with when you go to bed. What happens when you sleep is everything slows down including digestion and you burn very few calories when you are sleeping. Next you wake up needing to eat regardless of when you had your last meal. You need to eat breakfast for metabolism to work right. So the stopping eating at least 2 -3 hours before you crash is a good idea.
 maybeangel
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:16:23 AM
Wow. Thanks for the responses. I guess that I am worried that I am not doing enough. But I am going to keep on with what we are doing, and try to be patient.

We skip most of the middle of the grocery store, try to focus on the produce section, whole grain breads, chicken, fish...and portion control has been the hardest!
We love a heaping plate of spaghetti and meat sauce, with big chunks of garlic bread with cheese....oh well.

Any suggestions on being encouraging without, well, being harsh?
I worry about giving her a complex-- do you tell a 14 year old girl she needs to lose weight? I know that she thinks she is fat-- and I don't want to add to that. I thought that I could just go along with her-but we do have times when being with me- is NOT incentive to do things....I want her to do things on her own- without me chasing her.

With the weather being so nice- we are more likely to be outside--- we decided that we are going to walk for groceries instead of driving for the spring and summer, another little step.

Maybe part of me was hoping that someone would have one of those magic, instant fixes :-)

Thanks again!
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:41:49 AM
There is no magic, instant fix...... It is all about building a healthy lifestyle and learning to make the right choices.

Rather than focus on her weight focus on her health. Encourage building a healthy lifestyle for the future. As a matter of fact, I would avoid the scale. Don't promote scale watching. Promote focusing on how she feels and how her clothes fit her. Weight is such an arbitrary number. I am in excellent shape, but at 5'7 and 185 lbs i am way off of any height/weight chart. So, I really do not worry about that number. However, I know when I put on that extra 5lbs buy how my clothes fit and feel.

Exercise and a healthy lifestyle are addicting. Once you make it a part of your life you will want more. I enjoy it so much that I have to make myself take days off from the gym.

It sounds like you are doing a great job so far, so keep that up. She is still young enough that leading by example is very effective. Keep making those important lifestyle changes in your life and she will see what they do for you and follow.

Good luck.
 kpooks
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 10:10:05 AM
Planet Fitness for $10.99 a month. Have her concentrate on cardio, the treadmills, cycles, hiking machines. Have her bring along her favorite music to give herself a rythm to get herself "in the zone". It's really not all that difficult. When she realizes that there's pleasure in working up a good sweat, and the strength and endurance that results, hopefully she'll be her own motivation. But she might need you there to "spot" her.
 maybeangel
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/23/2009 11:21:15 AM
I know that most magic is just fantasy----but isn't fantasizing healthy?

When it comes to the scale issue-- I don't actually have one at home. At least I didn't before we got a Wii fit. Now we all know how much we weigh (lovely).

We have only been working on this for a couple of weeks. The problem started when I was asking-- had she done this- or had she done that....it has turned into something that I am making her do.

I am struggling to find things to do that are fun. I confess that I am not athletic either.
My son is helping me with that- baseball, golf, he even had me on skates trying to play hockey. But my girl-- she turns up her nose at this, and I am really struggling to get through to her.

I checked into the Planet Fitness- but we don't have one in town. Any of the gyms around here- she has to be 16.

Hopefully the little changes will make a difference!
 eschec mat
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/23/2009 11:57:41 AM
You are aware of what is going and making a difference. She is dancing, she is walking, she is eating healthier. Becoming healthy doesn't happen over night. People that drop weight too quickly have health issues because their body can go into the starvation mode and the metabolism won't work right. Really I think you are doing a great job. Wii can replace the TV too! Another great thing!
 maybeangel
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/23/2009 12:04:50 PM
Monfil-
Thank you very much!
Maybe I just needed some reassurance after my ego has taken a beating from a moody teenager.
I never thought I would be encouraging my kids to play video games!
 sweetest
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 3:49:03 PM

She is a little overweight, and it is starting to affect her more and more.

^^^How is it affecting her?

portion control has been the hardest!

^^^Yes it is the hardest but once you start doing it, it's also probably one of the easiest things to weight loss. Teach her how to do it. It’s no magic bullet; but personally, I think most of the battle is in portion control; without making any other changes you can lose weight by simply doing this.

Healthy eating with moderate exercise will work for 90% of the population. Keep doing what you’re doing

^^^I agree with James.

In my opinion, self-esteem is the most important thing to protect in a14 year old girl. Your entire family should also incorporate any changes that you want to make to benefit your daughter’s weight loss, that way she will not feel singled out.

Aguaya
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/23/2009 4:09:47 PM
I am losing weight now by simply changing my workout routine. They say change it up every 6 weeks. I switch from biking/jogging/swimming/dancing/weigh lifting. But the motivation comes from inside and maybe your 15 year old daughter just needs a Crush. Have her read Twilight. Maybe she is lacking nutrients like calcium, she needs to be taking daily supplements to support her natural growth.
 maybeangel
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:03:36 PM
It is affecting her mostly in confidence levels. She used to love to experiment with fashion,but is going more and more for track pants and hoodies-things that hide her shape. She doesn't like to participate in any games or sports that require too much activity. This year there are boys in her dance class-she almost quit from the fear that they might do lifts.
It is also affecting her basic motivation, although I think some of that is being a lazy teenager.

I agree that her self-esteem is the most important thing to protect, and all of the lifestyle changes have included me and her brother.

As for the crush....that stuff has already started. We liked Twilight-but she thinks Hayden Christionson should have been Edward :-)

We take multivitamins---I will look into other types of supplements- I didn't think of that.

Thanks!:modhammer:
 Huntington24
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:07:43 PM
Stop eating processed foods, period. Cook it yourself, steam carrots, grill some chicken breast. If you drink, drink vodka, no chips or mayo.
 maybeangel
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/24/2009 6:21:34 AM

If you drink, drink vodka,

lol

I am not actually going to pass that on to my daughter--- but thanks!

Chips, however is one of her enemies--- and those damn vending machines at school.
I have suggested that she not take money to school--- she is considering that---but- it meant that I stopped taking money to work-- and always, always bring my lunch.

This is going to be good for all of us, I am sure!
 Jackie78
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/24/2009 3:04:00 PM
I haven't looked to see where you are from, but you can go on a site called meetup.com. It's free to join the site and is basically a big list of clubs. Everything from boardgames to athletics to muscle cars. My area has a couple of different hiking meetups - no need for any special coordination, just get out in nature and tramp around. It can be a great way to meet new people and get moving more, depends on which meetup you join.

Otherwise, you could look around for other community based things like walking in charity 5ks or whatnot. You can use the deadline of the event as motivation to keep on exercising daily and you can join a group that is raising money for a good cause.

You can also look into local volunteering opportunities, if she's interested in that kind of thing. If your family decided to volunteer at an animal shelter walking dogs, you get exercise while having fun and helping animals. If allergies are an issue, you can try to find other physically active volunteer situations. I recently read about an organization that asks farmers for gleaned produce, and they actually go out and get it.

If you go the meetup or volunteer route, you don't even have to mention her being a little overweight just say it's something that sounded interesting to you that you thought she'd like.

Good luck!
 xxmaybethistime
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/28/2009 10:54:46 AM
wii fit!! lol

i would just try takin her out to parks and going for walks with her or bike rides

maybe buy her some smart ones frozen dinners (they are like 2 dollars not very expensive) it will help her learn about meal proportion and will give her the appropriate amount of calories per meal..

i would also quit buying junk food if you are and maybe replace them with some 100 calorie packs.

she probably just needs some extra motivation.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/28/2009 2:16:48 PM

she probably just needs some extra motivation.

And the extra motivation will come from...boys! OP, my daughter's the same age and she couldn't have cared less about weight or fitness until her teenage hormones started to kick in..lol..
You're doing everything right - but lead by example. It's hard to motivate her if you're not eating right and exercising regularly.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > helping a teenaged girl get fit