Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Looking for a good Ham Roast Recipe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 red_relaxed
Msg: 2
Looking for a good Ham Roast RecipePage 1 of 1    
I'll devulge my secret to yummy ham.

Boil it first, to get the salt and fat out of it. Put it in a large stock pot, or dutch oven and make sure it's covered in water and bring to a slow boil, turn the stove down and let it bubble gently for an hour or two, depending on how big it is.

Pineapple juice, ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar mixed together and poured over the ham before you put in a moderate oven 350 and roast it for a couple hours. Baste it every half hour after that. You should roast any meat, 20 minutes per pound as a general rule.

If you like pineapple, pin them over the ham with toothpicks and roast it the same way as above.

You can make a killer pea soup (or as we call it "sea poop" with the ham bone and left overs. Doesn't sound like you'll have many though.

Cheers!
 Dovelett
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Looking for a good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 4/24/2009 1:16:22 PM
Not sure what ham unposter talking about works their ingredients work on any ham. Don't think I ever tried fresh side of ham with craway seed-will have to try it. Thxs.

In my opinion the fresh side of ham "UNCOOKED" uncurd ham is the best ham.

You know excatly what and how much salt is in the ham ...The taste is great n you can smoke the ham yourself too. Pecooked hams are just easier for some n some enjoy the taste n how they are packed...of course... their choice..
 mik1950
Msg: 10
Looking for a good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 4/26/2009 5:54:28 AM
an uncooked, uncured "ham" would simply be a pork roast taken from the pigs leg...in order to be a ham it should be either cured with brine...injected with nitrates and then smoked...or a combo of the above...smoking is either done hot or cold...cold smoking just adds a smoky flavor...hot smoking will actually cook the meat...
robert...if it says uncooked on the package...bring the internal temp of the meat up to whatever temp you normally cook pork at...
for a glaze...personalize it...brown sugar...mustard...ground cloves...add whatever you think might taste ok...i use honey and dried mustard quite often...but i dont glaze the ham until the last half hour or so of cooking...dont want the sugars to burn...
for a nice visual effect...try scoring the skin on the bias...making diamond shapes...at each intersect...insert a whole clove...then take canned pineapple rings and skewer them to the outside of the ham using toothpicks...then stick maraschino cherries into the holes in the pineapple...i usually empty the pineapple juice into the roaster and loosely tent the ham with foil and bake...remove the foil for the last 45 minutes or so
 Molly Maude
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 12/21/2011 2:22:24 PM
I'm reviving this old thread because I'm planning to bake a ham for Christmas ... I think I'll go along with Red Relaxed's suggestions for the pineapple, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and brown sugar ... (but not planning to boil the ham first) ...

this sounds closest to what my Grandmother and Aunties used to make for Christmas ... last time I baked a ham was probably 5 years ago and just couldn't remember exactly what I used ... I may have added dry mustard powder, too ...

I'm thinking they probably used maple syrup, too ... can't remember for sure ...

any suggestions? thanks!

MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 12/21/2011 3:39:29 PM
First, I pour a can of coke over the ham then I use regular prepared mustard......rubbed all over the ham.
I mix the cinnamon, ginger and clove in with the brown sugar.....than pack that mixture onto the ham.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 12/22/2011 6:22:16 AM
I have to save this thread..OMG, such great ideas here. You all rock for the info that you provide...thank you all so very much. And to all my cooking buds?
 Molly Maude
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 12/25/2011 8:54:55 PM
after giving this a lot of thought, I didn't want a huge ham hock ... I just wanted the HAM ...

so ... I decided to buy FOUR thick ham SLICES of uncooked ham with bone in, stack them together and put it into a 325 degree oven ... calculated out the weight and time at 20 minutes per pound ... put it in the oven ... after that time, it still wasn't quite as done as I'd like ... so put a glaze on it and roasted for about another 30 to 40 minutes ...

glaze I used was crushed pineapple, brown sugar, dry mustard powder and cloves ...

yummy ... perfect ... in fact everyone SAID it was perfect ... had one guest who'd never tasted ham at all, ever ... she loved it!

yay! ...
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Good Ham Roast Recipe
Posted: 12/26/2011 6:30:37 AM
...I think there's a lot of people that don't know that a cured ham (Hot cured) usually has been heated to a temp that essentially cooks it. So when roasting it, you're basically reheating it, then glazing it, not really cooking it. Glazes always go on in the last 20-30 minutes of roasting...and there are hundreds of recipes. Anything from mustard glazes to rasberry or pineapple glazes works. I actually prefer not glazing a ham, but it does add a touch of decadence that works in the holiday setting.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Looking for a good Ham Roast Recipe