Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Proper Blocking etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 4
Proper Blocking etiquettePage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
If someone read/doesn't read/deletes your first email, why even bother with a second? As far as being rude, that person has probably been bombarded with second emails from people who sent first emails that were deleted without an answer.

I have only blocked a couple of men: one was after a first email that was threatening, accusing me of being another woman and that he would "be watching me." I think he used the technique into intimidating women to respond to him protesting that he had the wrong woman, then he would admit his mistake and they would both be "relieved." The other was a man who was extremely rude when I said I wasn't interested. In this case, my problem is that there are some emails that I should delete without reading, but curiosity always gets me, so--BLOCK.

But I have been blocked on several occasions, and it always is funny. Most of the time it is from a man who emails me, I say I am not interested, he gets verbally insulting, I respond (hey, if they are that idiotic, I'll play with them), he gives me a coup de gras such as "I lied when I said u r preety, u r realy ugly [sic]." And then he blocks me.

What is even more amusing is when they forget they block me, and approach me again in a few weeks or months--I can't respond to say, "Hey, dude! You blocked me!"

The other man who blocked me is one who lied about his age by at least eight years and slipped up when we met. I emailed him to ask what his REAL age is, and he never answered. Some time later, I sent another email asking again, he had blocked me.

If they read/delete, don't contact them again. It's just that easy. If the delete were a mistake, they can find you on POF.
 pizzic2
Msg: 9
Proper Blocking etiquette
Posted: 4/26/2009 3:45:59 PM
Yes, tigerdreamer you are new.

When we do that after the first email message, than we get bombarded with all the nasty/insulting messages following our polite, "No Thanks"!

That being said, is the main reason for not responding.
 ryansmsk
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/26/2009 4:35:52 PM
there is really no proper way to block someone , well without causing some trouble or annoying the other person . blocking should only be used in the most necessary cases or to end contact with someone that you have zero interest in . but to just block people for little reasons is going to cause grief anf trouble .
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2009 7:22:35 PM
POF says some people get too many emails to read them all. That would tend to promote followup email to those not answered. I would suggest, instead of leading someone on, delete their email to let them know your are not interested. A blocked email is more of a "your scum" response than a "not interested" response.
 dub08
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/30/2009 7:49:37 AM
I dont use the block feature - luckily I haven't felt the need to. However, I arranged a date with someone and messaged the next day to confirm the time etc to find he had blocked me - go figure!
 packagedealx3
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 6:14:47 AM

I wish the POF mail system would alert you before you try and compose a new email.

Amen to that. It is funny, when you don't fit someone's e-mail criteria, the system lets you know that and doesn't even bring up the text box.

I don't get people with the blocking, unless someone is sending you enough e-mail that our computer is about to blow up, why do you have to block them? Either just read those suckers or let them sit there until they fall off the system.

The only reason I would block someone was if they were totally hateful or a perv and if they were incessantly e-mailing me after I had stopped responding to them. As yet, three years and I have never felt the need to block anyone. Since we can delete people without even reading what they write, blocking seems more than a bit silly to me.

I used it once, when I found out a woman was not only married, but married to a guy in my command who was away in Iraq! I sent her an email saying why I was cutting contact and she kept on emailing me.

That's career death for me right there, and she didn't care. Pretended to be single, but when I saw her post on a friends Facebook wall, I clicked on her profile, and every third post was "I miss my husband" or such.

This is a reasonable reason for blocking someone because the continued contact had actual repercussions beyond being a nuisance.
 celts123
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:54:43 AM
Some men may get mad and send a woman a rude response because she didn't respond to them. Perhaps this is why she blocked you.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/1/2009 4:18:26 PM
Re sending a second email... I have done this on a number of occasions but I always am super polite and non pushy. Sometimes a woman will mean to have responded and forgotten. Or sometimes, as a former poster said, need that second little "nudge". I don't think it's pushy as long as it is done politely... and never more than once. I actually had several women apologize for not getting back to me, and I think a few even ended up as dates!
 Ender330
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:10:24 PM
I have been on here for 3 years now and only been blocked 4 times:
1. By a girl because she used the word Wigger in her profile and I emailed her about using that word and the way she used it int.

2 By a women that was upset with me I believe because I told her I am interested in knowing more about her but as for as dating...I thought maybe our age difference would be a factor.

3. One women because I guess I made the mistake and assumed she didn't date black men. I didn't come across nasty at all with it...more playful than anything...but she emailed me this nasty letter of how she is hooked up with a black man darker than me and blah blah blah...probably was a like but who knows.

4. Today I was blocked I guess because she sent me a not interested email and I replied back with some questions...and then she replied with questions also...in all she wrote me 4 emails and on the 4th one I guess she had enough and of course the last word so she blocked me.

So what I gather from this is that most women who block people have come kind of issues. Or either the person she is blocking has some kind of issues. Cuz your an idiot if you think blocking someone is going to cut down on the emails you get daily...ha ha...sorry ladies but new people join POF every minute
 Ender330
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 8:42:52 PM
*nats*,

Those seem to be really go reasons to block someone....
I had a girl who emailed me and wanted to know if I she was my type. She liked what I aid on my profile and seemed like she just needed to talk. I told her that I was not really interested in dating her but I do not mind chatting and making new friends.

Anyway after a few emails back and fourth nothing romantic just general conversation...she stopped emailing me...maybe she was trying to gain my interest thought continued communication but I think when she noticed that I was not working...she moved on. It NEVER crossed my MIND to BLOCK her...I really think that would have hurt her feelings and it didn't cost me nothing but 1 minute a day to return her emails and answer her questions.
 Civil Guy Orlando
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:39:27 AM
It is interesting that people say they can't find anyone but they block at the first message of hello. I know they are looking for Mr. Perfect, but maybe when they are in the retirement home alone they will realize that Mr. Perfect doesn't exists or found someone better then them. Honestly i have met and dated women and are still friends with that didn't respond until the 3rd or 4th message and it was my persistance that they liked. Women who block at the drop at of hat are the ones that are going to be home alone on Saturday night so i don't worry about it.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/10/2009 1:38:46 PM
I have to admit that I petulantly block people (men) sometimes. And I have blocked a couple of females because they were abusing me, too. I have just unblocked everyone (well, "everyone" being 5 people, ever).

I guess I should just be a little more adult about it and ignore them like people do to me all the time.

Wait, that doesn't sound any more mature. FRIG!
 PacificStar
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 12:33:42 AM
If someone emails me; I will read his profile and some of his posts. If I don't want further contact I block them. Persistence is not something that works with me .

I have seen people on this site that I have seen shall we say being less than desireable elsewhere and I delete them email or not.

If I read a profile that I know I am not going to be interested in that person I generally delete them also. Why set someone up to write that you are not interested in.

So if someone deletes me I assume it is the same reason. I don't take it personally. But then again I don't try to flame anyone; just not worth my time.
 glennwih
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/12/2009 8:43:37 PM
If a man writes to a woman, she owes him a reply. How the reply is written is up to her. Ignoring a note is rude by anyone. And if a woman is on this site to find a man, stop being rude and write back even if it is to say no thanks. As for blocking, never, never block someone unless they are vulgar or mean. Blocking someone and then checking out their frontpage everyday is a sign of stupidness. Yes, I have had several women block me and never have had contact but they keep on looking at my frontpage everyday. Get a life chicks.
 CrimsonRealityXRS
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:02:59 PM
I usually don't block people unless they ask me in the first or second email for my phone number or to meet up, and they don't listen to me when I say that I am not interested.
 james912
Msg: 48
hi
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:39:00 PM
i dont think is rude guys should get the messege , when a women see the pic and shes not atracted to that pic , why waste the time and write back . i dont think is rude .
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:14:23 PM
I think its extremely rude not to answer someone's love letter as a common courtesy. I respond to all my messages. Because I am a decent human being and I respect the feelings of all those with the good taste to message me. But I must say being hit on is a real turn on for me. Why? cause I'm lazy! And I'll only shoot down a girl if she is fugly or too long distance.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/10/2009 12:43:52 PM
I was blocked twice this morning!

First, a guy from Canada with a hunky pic on his profile contacted me. I told him when he moved to MO, contact me again. He said that I was too "blunt" and because I am such a ****y feminist, he was sure no man really wanted to meet me. When I tried to reply to his nasy note, he had blocked me.

He was out for cybersex with an older woman. I bet the pic was not him.

Second time, a guy from MO who had NEVER contacted me previously wanted to know if he could come by and spend a couple of days. I told him he needed to change his approach and that most women wouldn't acquiesce to a man they they didn't know coming by to spend a couple of days. He said I needed to look at my profile.

When I tried to reply, he had blocked me.

I know what my profile looks like, and because my pics display legs, it doesn't mean that every man who contacts me appeals to me.

Both of the blocks were by men who couldn't take rejection and who were childish. They couldn't bear to hear me rip them apart, so they took the coward's way out. Amusing.
 cyberian_huskey
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/27/2009 9:58:52 PM
Etiquette:

I believe that it's ok to block someone if you don't know them, haven't talk with them, and aren't planning to...ever.

I think it's bad etiquette to block someone after you've say, gone out on a few dates, bugged the person to get to that stage, make the person feel like you meant something by it, and then after a few dates, when everything seems fine, dropping off into space, and with no explanation at all.

I find that any attempt I make to find out what happened, even if I hold off for a week or so, so as to not seem like I'm chasing or worried or obsessed, STILL seems to make the person NOT tell me anything. In fact, they BLOCK me all the more. And yet I may have asked only once in the politest way.

Why do men come in by storm and parade, act as if they've known you for a million years, and then leave you cold and keep it all a secret to themselves?

I know I don't do anything weird or wrong. I'm just sweet.

I think it's a little unfair, to be pushed to open you world to someone who chased you like a maniac, and then after a few happy moments, disappear and chop you off like you did something terrible!

or it feels like that.

I think blocking should be reserved for emergency situations. Like men who are child molesters or men who act creepy and make you frightened, or people who are extremely rude and won't be polite when you ask.

I feel that blocking is cruel. If you've been nice to the person, and blocking to me feels like they think you were harassing the m, or threatening them. To me blocking feels like a last resort of the person is threatening, sick minded, and so scary, you are afraid to deal with them.

However, after dating someone, and I've actually been so cool, and been so nice, baked them apple pie when they came by or something sweet....it's like a slap in the face.

So I don't know what's with guys. why they see a need to BLOCK after dating them, or else attempting to use them. It feels immature.

Like what if one day, I became a boss of a department, and they applied for the job. And I interviewed them and realized this is the person who BLOCKED me...I guess they aren't getting the job! haha.

Similarly, that's what I think about people who burn bridges...pretty foolish.

So UNLESS there is some really really good reason, like, you feel your life is i danger, don't block people. Or unless they are rude and you don't know them anyway. Right?

That's my opinion. There is no harm in blocking someone before you meet or speak with them, but after you've dated, it's rude as can be.

You can be respectful and tell them that you aren't interested in any more dates and are going your separate way. Any mature adult can grasp that, and move on feeling respected and treated with dignity.

lets do that.

-Deborah
 m14shooter
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2009 11:07:55 PM
I have blocked one woman here, she has contacted me several times and then just stops answering messages and then starts again like nothing happened. The straw that broke my back was when she wanted to know more about me so I wrote about six paragraphs and she comes back with "you are long winded lol" I ended the problem and just blocked her as she is a time waster.
 merelymortal
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/29/2009 8:34:40 PM
I've never blocked a female, probably because I've never been harassed, and because after reading an email that is vague and not interesting, I don't feel obliged to respond.

I wouldn't assume if you get blocked that its really something you should take offense to either,

maybe its more of an issue of who your emailing being paranoid of large block of the male population for whatever reason?

I've seen lots of profiles that just flat say they wont talk to older men... vague to a certain degree how much older is "older men"... and I've also seen profiles that wont respond to smokers, maybe they aren't listed, but people who are/aren't religious, are of a certain race, ect. other picky things that you cant control and probably wouldnt change about yourself if you even could

just don't take offense, and remember, if she looked like "the one" or something, there probably was something about her that wasn't quite right anyway (at least that should help you rationalize it be it true or not)
 Cynderella
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2009 1:25:55 PM

I have actually had some success with second emails.

Bingo

For a couple of reasons...
1. Squeekie Wheel
2. Sh*t happens
3. Computer glitch
4. Busy world
any number of things can happen and when some ladies get way to much mail that second mail can show that one is more interested than not.

I would say...the lady for which did this, seems to be very picky or a bit rude.
I have been here forever and never once have I had the need to block anyone and believe me there are a few who came very close.
Even then I still give someone the chance at a second chance!
 Turtleherder12
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 3:50:06 PM
Maybe it would be useful if POF would publish a little ditty on blocking etiquette. From direct experience, I know:

1. Some women actually believe they've sent the equivalent of a "No" by not responding.
2. Some women contend they have to get more than one email from a guy before taking him seriously. In fact, one told me she NEVER responds until after she's heard from the guy three times.
3. AND, I recently talked to a woman who felt guilty about not sending at least some reply to each email....and she had 612 emails at that moment.

And, I never would have believed that any adult would follow up with a rude email after not getting a reply, but now I understand why blocking after receiving an initial email could be useful. However, I'd encourage all users to avoid appearing like a town near an airport by blocking someone because of the assumed meaning of a phrase without first checking it out.
 ForumsCreeper
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 7:57:50 AM
If she doesnt respond to your first email, then has no interest. Why even write a second? Just move on. If you had, you wouldnt even know she blocked you. :)
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:48:05 AM
It really saddens me how inconsiderate and ignorant some people are in this day in age...

Ok If someone sends a very respectable message and you're still not interested in them, at least give them the benefit of the doubt and be honest.... If someone keeps coming at you than yeah Block him...or her..

So common today though for people to only think about themselves, this goes on all the time in relationships as well.... I think more people should put the shoe on the other foot and realize that we are all humans and all have feelings and such..... I cannot stand games and bullshit and quite frankly 90% of people play them...

I think its about time alot of people grow up..and Speak up !!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Proper Blocking etiquette