Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Stupidity Knows no Bounds!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Direlight
Msg: 1
Stupidity Knows no Bounds!Page 1 of 1    
I read a cool little news story.

The military's most expensive project "Joint Strike Fighter" was recently in the news.

Apparently some genius thought it was a good idea to connect TOP SECRET electronics data on the aircraft to they internet. Guess what happened?

Somebody in China (they are not sure who) hacked it, and downloaded tons and tons of data, and probably sold it to the chinese government.

Good job! I hope no one gets fired over this, just like when a chinese sub broke the security net of an American battle group, and was within striking distance of a US Aircraft Carrier.
Or when no one was fired after 9-11.

America for teh win! l337 h8xOrz!
 Direlight
Msg: 2
Stupidity Knows no Bounds!
Posted: 5/2/2009 2:27:38 PM
Hahaha, the reason for the vote delete on this one, did you read it

"non-english/nonsense" ROFL.

Yea, who cares about top secret data being stolen, what a lame topic jeez.

Or was it really not in english, i guess i woke up with different language?

20 bucks says the person who started the vote is one of those "i'm bitter at the world, so i'll use the internet to destroy people emotionaly!"

Go cheat on some mulitplayer games too, don't forget that! Or maybe spread some computer viruses around, as you don't spread enough in RL yet , lololololol.
 abby156
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/2/2009 6:10:36 PM
I wonder how much misinformation was hacked?
 Go Rin No Sho
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2009 6:12:00 PM
China did not hack into anything. An individual with access to the project was paid enormous amounts of money to connect the computer and access an IP to download all the data.

The Chinese sub was able to penetrate the US battle group because the administration at the time decided to "declassify" the secret technology that makes sub's screws hard to detect on sonar. Chinese subs now run as silent as our own.

That would be the same administration that granted China "most favored trading nation" status shortly after a bunch of Chinese monks made huge illegal campaign contributions. The bag man, by the way, went on to win a Nobel prize.

China now owns more of our national debt than any other country. This is not due to stupidity. China is just collecting what it has already paid for. The United States.
 chrono1985
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/3/2009 3:27:05 AM
Go Rin No Sho - Submarine vehicles used by military forces haven't used screw based propulsion for silent mode for a long time now. Take a look at Magneto Hydro Dynamic Thrusters some time, they are surprisingly simple, slow, but reliably silent. In fact they are so declassified that in 1990 a box office movie used them as one of it's critical plot devices.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:16:13 AM
What about that 'mock mission' that was approved by Louise E.Caldera (who was on the Bush Administration which pretty much explains everything) to have an Air Force One look alike accompanied by two F-16 fighters and have them flying low over New York and not tell anyone about it. Brilliant! But that's the US government ya. Doing things and not telling you about it till they get caught! :P
 Merrylass
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 8:19:13 AM
Um. Information being 'on the internet' is not a big deal, if you understand encryption. All means of communication can be intercepted; its safety depends on how well it's disguised in transit.
 knightwhosaysnih
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/3/2009 9:57:41 AM
There was a story in the news a year or so ago, describing how Montana border officials were using mounted patrols to cover areas four wheelers couldn't reach. The headline said it all.

"Use of horses increases homeland security intelligence."
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:41:55 PM

History shows that no military "secret technology" has ever remained secret.

How would you know?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:52:26 AM

If you disagree, then please tell me about one "military secret technology" that was used widely enough to make a difference, but was not copied or somehow imitated by others later on. Your example can come from any place on Earth and from any time period (when humans existed)
Here's two off the top of my head:
1.) The Longbow. Invented by the Welsh, adopted by the English, yet never copied again. When used as artillery in an age before gunpowder weapons were reliable, it was devastating to mounted knights and cavalry.
2.) Greek Fire. We still don't know the actual recipe, although chemists have suspicions about some of the contents.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 11:58:50 AM
There are many such weapons in use today and I am guessing many that have been forgotten without ever being revealed. Those few I know a little about are pretty scary. I worked on them before their potential for weapons uses were dreamed up and they became classified and disappeared from sight.

After WWII, the US navy towed some of the captured Japanese fleet, including a couple of super submarine aircraft carriers, to deep ocean water and scuttled them without engineering analysis to discover their technology. More than a few US weapons developers were not happy about it. There were also US secret development projects in early testing that were terminated and records destroyed at the end of the war. The point was that almost any weapon that makes it into the battle field will soon be copied and the US was tired of war. We will never know the extent of some German weapons programs but some of those we know about became the foundation of both the US and Soviet space programs.

The cold war had many new secret weapons never revealed but the reality was that the cold war was an economic war pitting technology against technology. One Soviet technology we almost never discovered was an bugging scheme that involved hiding passive transducers throughout the aggregate of the concrete the building was being built with. Unlike active electronics or even passive electronic devices, it could not be easily detected nor could it be jammed or blocked. I don't think the actual technology to used the scheme was ever found but it theory, it was possible. The entire US embassy in Moscow was rebuilt because of it. There have also been analysis of Soviet chemical and biological warfare masks having chemicals whose purpose was never discovered. What secret weapons were they for? The ties of Saddam to former Soviet scientists had the Washington spooks worried about his possible WMD developments for which we would have little defense. Many of these former soviet scientists have been assassinated in various places around the world where they were trying to sell their services. Must have been Israeli agents huh?

The "Start Wars" program created many weapons that are currently shelved and secret but may be abandoned as obsolete but still dangerous if in the wrong hands. For this reason, they stay secret.

Working on black-ops equipment is interesting. The stuff goes out the door to never return. The concern is that returns for warranty or repair might lead to tracing its history of use.

It all makes for lots of paranoia and movie scripts.
 Direlight
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/4/2009 2:56:18 PM
Yes we do know what Greek fire is.

Although i do not know all the ingredients (to make historical accurate kind). You can make a fire that spreads when you throw water on it.

Most oil fires, and anything containing Sulfuric acid will spread when mixed with water.

As far as the person defending this idiotic move, wow... lol Internet security is a joke, if you want to keep data safe, unplug the ethernet cable, period end of story, i'm not arguing with idiots on this.

China owns YOU, and our debt, ask yourself where you would be without them, 80% of what you see at the stores is from china, imagine how long we'd last if 80% of the stores inventory disappeared.

Why do you think they get away with crap like this?

According to military doctrine, we've all ready lost if we are this reliant on our enemy.

At least china is my enemy, not sure about the rest of you, i wouldn't every ally with a country that tortures its dinner (they eat some of their food while its still alive). And thats probably the most moral thing the chinese do.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2013 3:45:29 AM
It was Linda (from the TV show Becker)
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Stupidity Knows no Bounds!