Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Are silly testimonials a deal breaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Are silly testimonials a deal breaker?Page 1 of 1    
If I happen to run across a profile that says, "Don't favorite me without contacting me first or I will write an intersting testimonial", well, I'm the kind of guy who wants to see what you will write. I used to have more, but those members deleted their profiles and I currently have 2.

However, I met two women earlier this year who told me they never would have agreed to a first meeting had they read the testimonials and I've had other friends tell me to get rid of them.

So, my question is, if you ran across a profile with tongue in cheek testimonials, would that stop you from responding to emails or making first contact?

Bob

I'm especially interested in opinions from women in the 40-60 age group. Since I'm not trolling for page views, here are the ones I currently have on my profile.

Randominternetguy is a great guy, and looks very sexy in a black bra and panties. He keeps trying to steal my shoes and handbags, but at least he can put on makeup. It is disconcerting when your man looks better in lingerie than you do. He should have read my profile closer, before he added me.

* is so right, Random does look so hot in bra and panties! And talk about a big cable :wink:. He keeps talking about his 12" . . . Be warned, he is currently involved with two sisters and he has a hot tub fetish!

And here is the first one I ever had:

Wow, talk about an interesting date! We met at a local Burger King where he insisted on tipping the person taking our order. The employee did get a little upset though, when RandomInetGuy vaulted over the counter and placed a big wet kiss on his cheek. He's quite the conversationalist too. We talked about everything from how big my a** was to what color thong he was wearing. But it was a bit much when he kept insisting that his bra was prettier than mine, and loudly demanding that we have a contest in the middle of the establishment, letting the patrons vote. The parents who called the police, as well as the little crybaby kids, over-reacted, as did the cops who were overly rough as they tackled him to the floor and yanked his pants back up. He's going to make some lucky lady VERY happy.
 DocElffington
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are silly testimonials a deal breaker?
Posted: 5/2/2009 9:41:56 PM
Well Bob, yes and no.

Some women think testimonials are tacky. Other women like em because some else knows you here and may even know you in person(which means you aren't necessarily someone that spends their life online).

Some women read way too much into testimonials, others don't.

Bottom line: It's your profile. Put on there what YOU want. If someone doesn't like it? They weren't meant for you.
 cfb62
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 6:52:46 AM
I'm not a fan of them.
But everyone has different opinions.
 horses44
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 9:40:45 AM
Would a testimonial be a dealbreaker for me?

Actually it probably would, I look at them as childish - sort of "MySpacey"

As always....to each his own
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 1:05:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who has provided input, I can see I have some thinking to do. I think there is some misconception about them, and that in itself is enlightening.

Some of the responses seem to indicate that there was more to the testimonials then there is. These testimonials are the first communication I had with them. I think one of them didn't even read my profile, but wrote the testimonial and removed me. I can assure you that none of them has had the opportunities they write about. It's what they chose to write in response to me making them a favorite without contacting them first. I don't do that anyway, but I made an exception in these cases specifically to get a response. I guess women portraying me in bra and panties is supposed to be the ultimate insult, but I see them as hilarious. (Do they make a bra in size 52A?)

I'm not interested in meeting lots of women, and as some of you have noted, I'm never going to have that issue. I'm not interested in women who feel the need to make derogatory comments, or (and I have had this happen to me) actually write me to tell me how much my profile sucks. I'm willing to limit myself to women who find my profile amusing.

I don't see this as an issue about changing myself, but rather, what I choose to display on my profile. My preference is not to say I have a sense of humor, but rather display it. However, if most women, in my age group at least, seem to take this in the wrong context, I do need to rethink their value.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions.

Bob
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/3/2009 1:30:52 PM

I don't see this as an issue about changing myself, but rather, what I choose to display on my profile. My preference is not to say I have a sense of humor, but rather display it. However, if most women, in my age group at least, seem to take this in the wrong context, I do need to rethink their value.

I don't think it's age selective. Most don't get my sense of humor either. I've had quite a few different profiles here. Until this one, they were all humor-based. It was a really fun thing ~ for a while. I recently did yet another re-write and the difference is really quite shocking. It completely changed the tone of the email I received. My testimonials are not tongue-in-cheek, but I do love your's. I think they're very funny. That works for me, but I've learned something since being on POF ~ not many have a raging sense of humor when it comes to written words. I've gotten very DRY emails, only to have phone conversations that were to die for funny. I think something in the middle is best and even then, it will likely only "speak" to a select few. This site is really tough when it comes to "meeting" someone ~ I do much better elsewhere. The numbers game here is insane. Maybe try a couple of the other free sites and see if that changes anything. Good luck to you!
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Are silly testimonials a deal breaker?