Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Have you ever recognized someone from POF on the street?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shortanddark
Msg: 1
Have you ever recognized someone from POF on the street?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hi there, I'm new to this whole online thing and I am originally from a small community so I'm used to the lack of anonymity - there's nowhere to hide so this whole thing has different rules.

Have you ever met someone at the grocery or bank or in an elevator whose profile you saw on POF? I find it fascinating that every day, this whole process confirms that online dating lets you meet people you wouldn't ordinarily meet; whether they are from another town or just different circles.

If you have met someone, what did you do? Acknowledge them or just see how they move?

Thanks.
 MaybeSquirrel
Msg: 2
Have you ever recognized someone from POF on the street?
Posted: 5/4/2009 6:15:52 AM
Haha!! I work in retail and recognized one of the fellas I had been 'talking' to online. I even spoke with him, and he didn't recognize me. Lol--it was a good thing.

It did cause me to pull that profile and pic and come up with this anonymous one..... The folks at work had also found my profile, and that was a little weird.

Once upon a time, when I first joined up here, I went dancing almost 2 hours away. When I got home, I had a message from a fellow that had recognized me from POF. That was just a little freaky. He said he was on a 'first-meet' and couldn't come introduce himself. Still freaky.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/4/2009 7:01:59 AM
I have at work not on the street.

Cowboy
 _seven_
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:10:04 AM
I have. And it WAS weird! I felt very uncomfortable, especially 'cos he had shown interest on POF and I'd told him I wasn't interested. I was at my "local," and could see him looking at me. Then I got a message from him later when I got home asking if it was indeed me. I felt rather embarrassed, actually!
 thatnickguy
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:27:37 AM
Kind of.

I was working at Blockbuster a couple of years ago. One of my co-workers was, well, I'm comfortable enough in my heterosexuality to say he was a good looking guy. A lot of young women came in really just to check him out, etc.

Anyway, he tells me this story about going into Sears to buy a new watch. And the girl working there is flirting with him relentlessly. I mean, to the point of leaning onto the counter and showing off a lot of cleavage, etc. The flirting ended when he mentions a girlfriend. Apparently, he said that upon hearing that, she almost immediately straightened back up. Hilarious.

So, she starts coming into Blockbuster (he had gone into Sears with his work shirt on) every night that he's working. Talking with him and flirting with him. I think she forgot that detail about him having a girlfriend. Totally harmless, though, and she was a good, regular customer.

Cue to about a month or two later. I get an e-mail on PoF from her. She butters me up, saying that I have a great profile, but who she's REALLY interested in is 'ol Matt and wants to know if he still has a girlfriend. She even goes on to say something like "If his profile is even close to as great as yours...!" Before replying, I asked a friend of mine for advice on the situation, as I was feeling kind of resentful that she contacted me, a single guy on a dating site, about a co-worker. My friend said, "You do NOT have to respond to that", but I took the high road and politely replied "Nope, sorry, he's still happily taken."

Of course, I told Matt about it the next time we worked together. He shook his head and had a good laugh about it. I guess her flirting was becoming more and more obvious each time she came in. Of course, we didn't see her much after that.
 ak443
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/4/2009 9:33:01 AM
I had a somewhat creepy experience just this last week. A guy had contacted me a couple times saying that he was interested. I hadn't replied to any messages, due to lack of interest, but didn't feel the need to block him because they were polite.

I came online the other day to find a message from him saying he saw me at a gas bar and how beautiful I was. He then said he was out of town at the time but we could meet up later if I wanted. Needless to say he is now blocked.

Weird thing is I don't go to the gas bar he mentioned but my grocery store is next door, so if it was me he actually saw, it was from a creepy distance. Definitely an uncomfortable feeling, especially in a city so small, knowing he could have easily followed me home.
 Me Scuuuusi
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 1:02:27 PM
Yeah she actually recognized me at a club, it was weird cause i stopped talkin to her but she was actually cool once we talked
 OutMind
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/4/2009 1:49:00 PM
There are a couple of very cool restaurants that serve Tapas, you can sit outside in intimate tables and later on the place has a live band. This place was, and still is so popular with people that do internet dating that you could run into at least 4 to 5 women in one evening. What was even more amazing is that then you contact one of them. They ask you who was that chic, and set up a date with them. You go out only to a month later run into several girls you dated in the restaurant and them talk about you.

Some odd things I learned from that. A woman that practically blocks you online, once she sees you with a very attractive woman, then approaches you and now wants to go out. ]
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 3:19:27 PM
Yeah, happens now and then.

I've seen women out on the street (and a few guys) who I've recognized from PoF.
Either because I've looked at their profiles (or they've checked me out), or I recognize the face from the forums.

I'll usually just go up and say hi. Let them know I've seen them on the site. Ask how they're doing, how their search is going. Just basic smalltalk.
Most of the time, it ends up being a decent conversation. Chat for a while. Now and then, go grab a coffee or something.

A few times, it's led to something more. I've gotten a couple of dates that way.
Of course, I've gotten dates just approaching a woman out in public and striking up a conversation anyway. :p

It's funny though, as some of the women I've run into, are ones I've actually contacted on PoF. But on the site, they've told me I'm not their type, or I don't seem "interesting" enough for them. Yet face to face, they can't seem to get enough. Just shows you can't just write someone off at a glance.

I've also been recognized plenty of times. Especially when I'm out in my PoF t-shirt. LOL!
Sometimes it's someone who checked out my profile. Once or twice, it was a woman who was interested in me, but didn't know how to make that first contact. Heh, then they bump into me in the street, and shyly let me know. I admire that. It does take some confidence to approach someone in person.

Then there's those times when I hear "Hey! You're that guy from the forums!".
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/4/2009 5:48:51 PM
In a Wal Mart parking lot, a man stopped in the middle of the row, got out of his car, and loudly asked, "Gwendolyn! Is that you?"

It was me (surprise!) but I didn't know him. He explained who he was and I finally "recognized" him.

I have also had at least one email from a man who recognized me and mailed me after the fact, but he didn't speak to me.

I am a very friendly woman and might speak to someone whom I recognize, but it depends on his demeanor.
 Golfer38
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/4/2009 6:49:09 PM
I have seen a few people that I know on this site. If it is appropriate then I say hi but otherwise I let them be.
 val0214
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/4/2009 7:07:38 PM
Yes,

Both I've recoginzed someone (who's picture was the REALLY GOOD version of him and on the bus he looked like a total pothead). I did NOT acknowlege him.

I also moved to a place where in conversation with a man outside my complex and we both kept looking at each other in recognition. We were not compatible but became friends although I felt it was a bit intrusive. But we did become very supportive of each other trading dating advice, etc.

I would say I've recognized about 4 or 5 men from work, on the street, etc. Funny though, I've had female friends & relatives on this site and I was shocked because I had no idea! It was kind of interesting to learn their point of view, but where co-workers were concerned, I was even more aware and cautious of my forum comments.

I don't recommend you unnaturally go upto them though, chase them down & point

If you correpond with the person already, you could offhandly mention that you thought you saw someone who looked like them the other day, and let that be that. People still like their privacy until they are ready to share more of themselves.
 Veronicaxox
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/4/2009 9:07:52 PM
It was the strangest thing.
A few days after I signed up for this site, a guy messaged me saying:
"Were you downtown on Granville St. last night with a two girls, a black and a white one."
I said yes....
And he's like, yeh I recognized you from this site. I was going to say hi. You ended up at the cellar right?

(the cellar is a club.)

I stopped responding, it was a little bit too creepy for me!
 sexygirlcanada
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 10:54:29 PM
he recognized me when he went shopping where i am working and i asked him if he need any help and then he asked me if i remember him and i told him yeah but i forgot what he does he had to give me a clue and then he asked for my number so we could get together after work for a few drinks from this day we became good friends
 teejay83
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/5/2009 3:32:05 AM
I have recognized a woman from POF at the local library, it was a strange experience to put it.
 Mikey7619
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:55:24 AM
I dont understand whats so creepy about recoginzing someone from here and saying hello.... Its not like the guy knows where you live.... So he knew you went to a club one night... big deal....

People are scared of their own shadow sometimes... oh my gosh.. the big bad man from online dating will come and stalk me in a city of a million people even though he doesnt know my name or knows where I live!

Cripes ladies! To solve any problems hire a bodygaurd to take you everywhere you go...
 Mikey7619
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/5/2009 6:00:56 AM
and Veronica. Oh my god the guy knew i went to the cellar.. doesnt know whereyou live.. so why do you care so much

But I'll show a picture with my boobs hanging out for all these internet guys to look at.....

By the way ladies........ you cant get a address without a last name.....
 ak443
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/5/2009 10:09:52 AM

By the way ladies........ you cant get a address without a last name.....

That may be true but some of us live in places that are fairly small, and someone could easily follow us home. Granted most people aren't stalkers.. but some are, and I live alone so I have every right to be cautious.
 shortanddark
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:08:21 PM
I sorta agree. To me, POF is only a means to an end. So if someone sees me online and then recognizes me in person and comes up and talks to me, GREAT. Just by that one move, we've eliminated weeks and weeks of emailing back and forth and wasting time, right? Isn't the whole point to eventually meet people?

I acknowledge that I'm a very social person so my attitude will not hold true for everyone but I think that unless the person is rude or obnoxious or creepy, just say "Hi". It might give him/her confidence to get out there and take a chance on someone else, who knows?

Just my $0.02
 MarkoBF
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:39:41 PM

If you have met someone, what did you do? Acknowledge them or just see how they move?
Not from POF, but I saw woman I met speed dating. I just smiled at her, she smiled at me and we went about our plans for the evening. We didn't even talk.
 Fashion_Barbie
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/5/2009 5:48:48 PM
no.. but i do believe one person has noticed me before..one word embarassing!lol
 TruthinessIncorporate
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/5/2009 7:36:18 PM
I did!!!
It was this guy actually, he posts here quite frequently, I just couldn't help but think...really, this guy says nothing when he does post, nothing that actually adds to any conversation, and if anything, comes off as a complete jackass...then, I realised, It was me I was looking at, caught my reflection in one of those mirros at the mall...
WHAT A LOSER!

Truth, I always feel like, some bodies watching me-TruthinessInc
 lueren
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/5/2009 10:18:06 PM
I don't think so, but I do have a story and he'll get mad I posted this when he sees it.

This guy emailed me here about 6 months ago. I thought he looked familiar and it took me some time to realize we work together! I didn't know him that well, but I did email him back saying, "Um, hello, I'm in -X- department!" Now we're cool friends.
 nolamichelle
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/5/2009 11:21:19 PM
No, but out of interest, a person on here made a list for people to add to their profile who is a dud date or a player and well as a point of interest, every dud that I have ever met or had contact with was on the list. Most have 2 profiles running....it is almost as though I had made the list up myself...hmmmm.
 ck1time
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2009 12:10:48 AM
Yeah, a few times. 2 professional women were embarrassed, said it was 1-time try-out.
Another had a totally different hairdo/color. ( a major metropolitan Kelly Girl Manager.)
It's never a biggie, unless 1 exaggerates/lies to the max.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Have you ever recognized someone from POF on the street?