Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > New way to scam      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lisalsb
Msg: 1
view profile
History
New way to scamPage 1 of 1    
Hey everyone ... Just wanted to give the ladies a heads up ... Okay, it may good for the guys too. I'm sure y'all have heard about the people from Africa and other countries that are looking on dating sites for Americans, when actually they are just trying to scam people out of money ... Well, I personally believe these people are using a new method ... Everyone has their suspicions right away when you hear someone is from another country, especially Africa due to the Scams that have been reported. I suspect they are now saying they are living in this country, may claim to be a citizen of the US but in actuality, they're not. It's just a new way to scam! I know, I have no solid proof, but here's the reason why I'm beginning to think this is happening ( and other people I have told this to also believe it's a new way to scam money out of people )

I began chatting a guy on a site (No not this one) who was from a bordering state ... He claimed he was an independant contract and in construction and we had talked for a couple weeks online. He had pictures of him, his son, told me a lot of information about himself, letting me get to know him (Yeah I know, people will tell you anything they think you want to hear) I honestly believed what he was saying since everything he was saying was a possibility. My stepdad was an independant contractor and did business outside the US so I had no reason not to believe this guy. Well, he tells me he won the bid on a contract he was going for and had to go sign the contracts. Okay, once again believable. He explains he should be out of town until the following week and when he got back he wanted to take me out to dinner. Of course I insisted I will meet him at the resteraunt so we can meet in a public place and yes, I do let friends and family know all the information ahead of time and always have my cell phone close at hand. Well, he calls me one day while he's on this "business trip" and tells me things are going great, he's signing the contract in the morning, yada yada yah. Then he calls me 2 days later and THIS is where I realized what was going on. He tells me he's waiting for the money they owe him for the contract to be put into his account but he's "stuck" in this country until then. And then he had the audacity to ask me for a personal loan to help him get back into the country. I had to cover the phone so he wouldn't hear me bust out laffing and after calming down, I apologized and said I didn't have it. Needless to say, I have heard from him twice since then and he's still telling me how's he's having a hard time getting back. And where was the country he had to go to? Yep, you got it!! Africa!! I didn't know this until AFTER he left.

So be careful girls. They may tell you they are residents/ citizens of this country, they may be sincere and tell you want you want to hear, but be on your guard. They are figuring out another way to scam money since people have caught on to the other way. Yeah, I'm looking for someone, but I am NOT desperate, I am NOT stupid, and I am NOT guillable. There are some women out there who are very lonely and want to give/get love so badly, they fall for this crap. If I can help just one woman, then I can feel good ....
Good luck in your search.
 previouslyme
Msg: 2
New way to scam
Posted: 5/7/2009 9:31:44 PM
I introduced my sister to POF a couple of months ago.... she lives in another state. She started talking to someone claiming to be from within a couple hours. For some reason she started talking, long enough to exchange numbers etc...he deleted his profile. He was out of town on business, when she was home for a visit here. She started talking about it and I told her about a guy from match that was a scammer... I even put his pic on my space and named it scamin Fred! I told her what to expect, she didn't believe it. But within 48 hours he was at the grocery store and called her because he forgot his wallet and they had a western union there... never heard from him again! DO NOT GIVE OUT LAND LINE NUMBERS! You are easier to trace that way! When I got my scammer, I knew it right away. How many guys are totally ready to relocate to be with you as soon as they get back to the US?

I think your scammer sounds exactly like the one my sister found on this site!
 previouslyme
Msg: 3
New way to scam
Posted: 5/8/2009 12:06:28 PM
They usually wait at least a month, then when you are on phone level... then they ask...

At the bottom of new email that you recv there is a link to report a scam....
 Lisalsb
Msg: 4
view profile
History
New way to scam
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:35:20 AM
I started questioning certain things but like I said, my stepdad was an independant contractor so this guy's story could've all been possible ... but as soon as he asked for a "personal loan" and I just KNEW it then!

I think it's sad ... There are people out there so wanting to give/ get love and then you have these scammers that will swoop down like a vulture and just take advantage of these people ... But they forget ... what goes around, comes around .. All in good time
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 5
New way to scam
Posted: 5/12/2009 3:21:55 PM
Wow....I think a good rule of thumb would be...anyone asking for ANY SORT OF MONEY that needs to be wired, sent overnight, etc...is BAD, FAKE, BOGUS, a SCAMMER.

I mean, would YOU ask a TOTAL STRANGER who you have yet to meet, for money? Wouldn't you ask your family if this were legit...or even MORE obvious, wouldn't you have your OWN emergency cash and credit cards if you were travelling abroad as a LEGIT contractor?

The saddest part of all...is some fall for this. They are REALLY...ummm...what I like to call a few clowns short of a circus.
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 6
New way to scam
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:39:18 PM
The saddest part of all...is some fall for this.

How incredibly unfortunate! Whereas I realize that some people online can be real dogs, I'm just glad that I've found someone truly special. He's a former Nigerian PRINCE and is actually paying ME to let him use my bank account so that he can deposit $40 million into it after he completes all the red tape required by his government to get the money out of Nigeria. How lucky am I? My cut is $3 million (just for giving him my bank account number! ) so it just goes to show you that not all guys that contact you online are scammers!

HarleyKat~
Msg: 7
New way to scam
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:51:51 PM
**snorts** **wheres the piss my pants emoticon??*

You know, Sue-De...I bet you have done the VERY SAME DEAL as I just got offered! They send you a check for $3000 and all you have to do is deposit it in your own accout, then go to WalMart to send a Money Gram for $2700....you get the remaining $300....for a few MINUTES of work!

I'm telling ya'...I have gotten so many of these "checks" in the mail, I should be a millionaire by now!
 TheKidof72
Msg: 8
New way to scam
Posted: 5/14/2009 10:03:23 PM
Wow, so you mean that the man who say: i saw your profile i do love to get to know you so much i do feel for your pretty sexy sweet face you are beautiful so much i will love you to be my angel and stay by me i am honest and caring man i do want good and honest woman i do care to get to know you better reply me back.
or the guy that says: Hello Preety, I was just going through your profile and your picture got blood jumping around in my veins like a ball on a roller coaster...Complimented with a beautiful profile...I momentarily knew i had to meet you...... I'm Richard by name... i do a lot of things and most especially among them is this( I have fun all the time) Lets get talking, you may just earn yourself a friend who'll treat you like a godd*mn precious piece from China....I am 49years old...I am from Texas...I do build log House...I am single..Have one kid...I will love to get to know you.

These guys think I'm so beautiful and special to them that they are going to make me so so happy and I will be wonderful wife and they will love, honor and obey me and make lots of happy children and we will live happily ever after, but first they needs me to send him $2700 so he can come to America and meet me and he needs me to send him another $5800 next week so he can bring his child here as well.

And now you all are telling me these are just scams! And here I thought I had found me, not one, but 2 amazing men who could make me happy wife, it's just going to cost me a little bit money, but then they would pay me back, right!. Guess I will go back to fishing. Here fishie fishie fishie.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 9
New way to scam
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:25:54 AM
Oh nooo...there are PLENTY of women doing it too...and I think they are actually more successful at such. Men seem to fall for this sort of thing, easier...probably combination of being the "breadwinners" and women having that old fashioned mentality that they are NOT gonna pay a man's way.

Ugh to em all, I say!

Gawd, Theresa! Did you copy and paste that??? If not....you most certainly do a GREAT imitation of it!!!
 previouslyme
Msg: 10
New way to scam
Posted: 5/15/2009 9:24:48 AM
I did a little survey on craigslist..actually 2. Men get a heck of a lot more "offers" that are spam than women. Actully, the women got zero, men get at least 10 from one post on the 1st day!
 chazmc9
Msg: 11
view profile
History
New way to scam
Posted: 5/15/2009 12:44:07 PM
I like the ones that use Celebrity pictures trying to pass them off as their own picture.
 jussweet
Msg: 12
New way to scam
Posted: 5/15/2009 4:52:25 PM
I do know a guy who a woman ask him for money after a few months of talking and not meeting. Of course after he didin't get her the money she quit calling! It's just sick what some people will do.
I was wondering too if everyone is getting the letters in their regular email about a trust fund or such set up in their name from Nigeria? I have been getting at least 4 or 5 a day! If I could only have $1 for each I'd be rich by now. The latest said it was from Catholic Charities and that really upsets me. I think of all the older people who might just fall for it! Everyone be careful and safe!
 semovictory
Msg: 13
New way to scam
Posted: 5/16/2009 9:06:23 AM
I placed this add in the paper...wasnt technically a scam though.

Wanted older blue haired lady for marriage, must be wealthy, generous,and in poor health. No other dependants preferred. Send replies to goontakethemoneyandrun@email.com.

Can you believe not one reply...shrugs
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 14
New way to scam
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:37:53 AM
^^

Thanks....now I have that song in my head...gonna have to break out the Steve Miller Band CD for a bit!
 tallshyman
Msg: 15
view profile
History
New way to scam
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:40:50 PM
A woman that I use to date fall for a money order scam and she is out 450.00 and bank wants there money or she will end up in jail.

And this happen on a dating site!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > New way to scam