Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Being friend with someone of the opposite sex      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thenewlife
Msg: 1
Being friend with someone of the opposite sexPage 1 of 1    
I just realized that I do not have any friends of the opposite sex. Haven't had one since I was a child.

I cannot be a friend to a girl/woman I find myself attracted to because it would really kill me to know that there could never be anything more, so therefore I do not have friends of the opposite sex.

Do you feel it is possible to be friends with people of the opposite sex, why/why not?
 kirk763
Msg: 2
Being friend with someone of the opposite sex
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:31:01 AM

I cannot be a friend to a girl/woman I find myself attracted to because it would really kill me to know that there could never be anything more, so therefore I do not have friends of the opposite sex.

You have varied tastes then! You are attracted to every living female...
 thenewlife
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:50:00 AM
Okey that was maybe not the best way to put it, the reality is I never approach a random woman hoping to become her friend.
 sassysuzzy
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/10/2009 4:23:18 AM
iv always got alng better with guys ,i find it easier,their less ****y than we girls can be but lately iv cut contact wit 2 of them ,one iv been pals with for years and now we cant even look each other in the face cause he got drunk one night and tol me he was in love wit me,i didnt know wat the hell to say,but it became so awkward that wer now barely talking which is an awful shame after all these years..the other guy who id been friends wit for about a yr tried to kiss me last wkend after showing no signs of even being remotely intersted so i think for a girl she sees no harm in having male friends but i do think a lot of ye guys(not all)just cant accept that a woman can hang around wit you and not wanna **** u senseless so dont ruin a good friendship by trying to get ur leg over
 thenewlife
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/10/2009 4:59:54 AM
When I was in New Zealand I hung out with another girl from my hostel and we also met up in a few different places in NZ during our travels, then one night in Wellington New Years eve 2005/2006 I tried to kiss her but she pushed me away. Hanging out with her was very awkward after that night. I still see her about once a year like in dublin or london but it is still awkward.

If you are a friend with a girl and you're also attracted to her that is very easy to confuse with what people call love.
 justlittlestaryme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 10:56:59 AM
I dont have any male friends who havent tried to get their leg over at some point, and it ruins the friendship
 jlo007
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:39:15 AM
Of coarse they can, I think they're called **** buddies, lol. I suppose it comes down in the end to the differences in men and womens attitude towards sex, like the saying goes, men will do anything for sex, they'll even love you, women will do anything for love, they'll even have sex with you.
 MalaSam
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/11/2009 2:16:57 PM
^^^^^^^^

Same as a woman needs to feel loved before she sleeps with him,
A man man needs a woman to sleep with him to feel loved.

Men use the friendship card as a sneeky way into your pants!
Ladies beware............... if a guy says hes your friend and he wants to call round for a DVD...........he wants in your pants.
 madtigger
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 2:43:54 PM
im sorry but i must speak my mind here. is the only reason you cant have a female friend is that you keep over stepping the mark ???

well sorry but were all not 5 years old in the park. so put it back in your pance and go enjoy life . get both male and female friend and a dog if you wish...
 jlo007
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/11/2009 3:57:36 PM
So what happened malasam did you give up watching dvds or renew ur membership of extravision lol
 thenewlife
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/11/2009 4:09:28 PM
So any girl who wants to come home to me and "watch a movie" I downloaded from thepiratebay.org?
 sungoddness
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/12/2009 7:28:08 AM
ive always had more male friend s then female i was the girl guys came to with the girl problems,,,,,,,,,,, and yes i think it can happen! u can get a different view from the oppsite sex and it can get very interesting
 MalaSam
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:24:01 PM
I got barred from x-tra vision, something about not wanting the place to look like the red light district........I have know idea what they were talking about?

Anyhoo, after thinking about it, I do have quite alot of male friends, probably due to the fact that I was in a class in school with 32 boys and 1 other girl, and the ratio in my college was 4 men to every girl, and the majority of my workmates are male, but a friendship with a guy is completly differnt to a friendship with a girl. No way Id ask any of the guys round to mine to watch the latest Jonny Depp movie with a bottle of wine and jim jams.......... but they are really handy when it comes to fixing my car.
 xbabyxangel705
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/17/2009 2:52:00 PM
i know how you feel.
most of my friends are guys.. they always have been, i just get along with guys better than girls.. i probably have like, only 3 or 4 close girl friends and all the rest are guys.

but ever since i grew out of my overalls and ponytails and bike riding and grew up, all my guy friends just want one thing from me.. so its hard to keep a friendship with them these days because they chase after sex and they dont look at me for friendship anymore. its hard.
 MalaSam
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/18/2009 3:21:54 PM
Ya, I know what you mean, but I have found that as men grow older they do grow out of the skirt chasing phase............or maybe they just get fed up chasing me after the constant knock backs and just give up?
 GDAE4u
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:52:51 PM
Occasionally women have something more interesting than sex to offer and as a result friendship can blossom!
 luvs_history
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/30/2009 4:01:52 PM
no, one always wants more then the other at some point. why would you be friends. either they are attractive to you and you are interested , mabye you are interested but they are unavailable or you are unaviable so you say "friends" to keep them around incase you become avail. or they do. or the other reason is they are just too nice and you like the attention and feeling nice people give. so you keep them around for that.

theres always a member of the oppisite sex in a group of friends youll wanna get with. so whats the point in having them as "friends" thats what a girlfriend is for.
 Munsterbear
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/30/2009 4:09:38 PM
It is possible to be best friends with the opposite sex. One of my best friends is a great lass. And I have the honour next year of being "maid of honour" at her wedding next year.
 cinderfcknrella
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:19:06 PM

Occasionally women have something more interesting than sex to offer and as a result friendship can blossom!

Wise words!!

My best friend is a guy!

Ive known him since i was like 5, and he is the one who i can talk to about anything, and believe me, we can talk some shite!!

I would never do him, nor him me, we are like siblings, and will be best friends til the day we die, our mothers were best friends, and our fathers were best friends, and we continued on the trend next generation, and my son is best friends with his son, so we are a family of sorts!!

A lot of people actually think we are together cos we are joined at the hip most of the time, and are often amazed to see us with other people!!

But we will never be anything more than friends, ever, and im so blessed to have him in my life!!
 79skye
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/5/2009 3:17:16 PM
I have more male mates than female and I think that is cos I have 3 brothers and so got use to hanging around with lads. Though I also have some v close female friends.

Were you not exposed to girls when you were younger? Did you go to an all boys school where you were brought up in a world that females are only to be looked upon as a means of procreation/romance?
Just wondering as it is normal to have friends of the opposite sex and not view them as potential gfriends/wives etc..
 GDAE4u
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/7/2009 8:18:38 PM
Simply me being me:
thanks for the vote of confidence! When I think about it friends that I really value are about half and half men and women. One of my very best friends is a woman. One of the joys of friendship is the intimacy which is platonic in nature and also involves real affection. Real love exists between friends without the urge to make it sexual be they male or female!
Also real friendship has a tendency to last a lifetime. It (friendship) probably has a much better track record than marriage/relationships any day!
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Being friend with someone of the opposite sex