Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > 8 months on PoF, 10 emails, 0 connections      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 setuid
Msg: 1
view profile
History
8 months on PoF, 10 emails, 0 connectionsPage 1 of 1    
I've been on PoF for just over 8 months (and on Match.com for over a year), and while I send out dozens of well-written, thoughtful emails every week, I'm not getting any responses at all in any way.

I realize that it takes hundreds of emails to get that first quality response, but I've sent out more than that since I've been here, without so much as a hint of interest from anyone.

I've written and rewritten my profile, and had lots of people look at it from the outside, but it still isn't really turning any heads.

Am I saying too much? Not enough? Not enough of the RIGHT things?

Is being 100% real and honest killing my chances of meeting a quality partner?

It seems like such a dead-end. :(

Can someone take an objective view of my profile and see what might be lacking?

Thanks in advance.
 setuid
Msg: 2
view profile
History
8 months on PoF, 10 emails, 0 connections
Posted: 5/10/2009 10:25:23 AM
All good points indeed, eyeseek. I'll cut back on the pics of my daughter and remove the "FairyLand" paragraph.

As for the schmaltz, I guess I could tone that back a bit too.

My photos are all very recent, ranging from mere months ago to a few years back. I look exactly the same as I did in high-school, including my weight and body style/type. I've been stuck with a cyclists build for the last 20+ years.

I'll try to look at it again through your "lens", and see if I can reduce some of the "padding" a bit.

The reason I went with a slightly longer profile, is to filter out the dead-end people who would normally be attracted to me if I said less, or showed less in my photos. I'd rather have a small handful of quality dates, than dozens of dead-end ones.

Thanks, er... "Cheers!"
 setuid
Msg: 3
view profile
History
8 months on PoF, 10 emails, 0 connections
Posted: 5/10/2009 2:34:52 PM
The problem is that it seems to take several hundred emails per response, and that's exhausting (in other words, sending out 200-300 emails to different women and receiving 1-2 responses in return, most of them "Sorry, not interested").

I've talked to other men and women on this site and the "other site", who have very superficial, very short (a sentence or two) profiles, and they're getting hundreds of profile views, winks and dozens of in-person dates per-month.

At this point, I think I'm going to conclude that my profile is too "real", and far too long. I'll probably cut about 90% out of it and see how that fares.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > 8 months on PoF, 10 emails, 0 connections