Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kinextions
Msg: 1
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
•First let’s understand the goals of Abdominal/Core training. Crunches are primarily performed with the intention of the traditional “6-pack” look.
•Core training (EX: leg lifts) is primarily performed for stabilization and sports specific reasons.
•An example of Abs training would be for the purpose of “6-pack” spot training; core training might be performed by boxers who require strong midsections but not necessarily for looks.
•The Thoracic spine is generally capable of 30 degrees of spinal flexion.
•During the action of spinal flexion the Rectus abdominal contracts pulling the ribs toward the pelvis. Also taking place during the crunch is the action of the Posterior Pelvic Tilt.
•When the traditional Crunch is performed, the ribs move toward the pelvis and thus the “feeling” of upper Abs is experienced.
•When reverse action crunches are performed, the pelvis is moved towards the ribs and the “feeling” of lower abs is experienced. In actuality you can’t separate the upper and lower sections during any movement.
•While performing spinal flexion, not only does the thoracic spine flex but so does the lumbar spine.
•Every muscle of the core (Rectus abdominis, internal/external oblique and transverse) works in spinal flexion. Each side muscle will contract to assist in flexion and keep the spine from rotation.
•The Psoas Major (hip flexors) origins are attached from the spine and inserted into the lesser trochanter of the femur.
•ABDOMINALS ARE NOT ATTACHED TO YOUR LEGS so it is impossible for the abdominal muscles to pull the legs up.
•During the lowering phase of the leg lift, the abdominal muscles will isometrically (iso-same, metric-length) contract to protect the lumbar spine from increased Lordosis.
•Lordosis is when the spine increases the curvature and leads to bulging of the disc. During this action, the CNS (central nervous system) will send a signal to the Abs to counteract the action and protect the spine.
•If the goal required leg lifts to train for stabilization then the matter of keeping the lumbar spine from rising off the floor would be a priority. When the lumbar arch increases, the abdominal are no longer able to support and protect the spine from compression.
•If we wanted to concentrate on lower abdominal actions, we might try flexing the hips as to take the psoas major muscle out of the way and then performing a reverse crunch (posterior pelvic tilt).
•SLOW DOWN when doing crunches, why are ABS the only exercise that we try to do faster then the rest?
•Bottom line; ABS are created in the kitchen with proper nutrition. Many exercises are designed for variety but little thought was put into the relationship of spinal movements and excessive repetitions.
 kinextions
Msg: 2
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/11/2009 5:28:30 PM
There is not such thing as Upper or Lower ABS. It's just a matter of origin or insertion moving towards the other point. And remember, ABS AREN'T ATTACHED TO YOUR LEGS.
 kinextions
Msg: 3
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/11/2009 6:34:56 PM
How is this a copyright violation????????????
 kinextions
Msg: 4
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/11/2009 6:55:21 PM
I am J nicholas Tortoriello.....LOL.

I cant copyright something that i wrote.
How did you find my article and how do I prove i'm me??????????
 kinextions
Msg: 5
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/11/2009 7:10:45 PM
HOW IS THIS SPAM.....i'm trying to imform people of doing leg lifts as a way of working the ABS and the risk vs. benefits of them.
Isnt this just a simple post to inform??????

And how did you prove its me.......thats cool....LOL.
 kinextions
Msg: 6
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/11/2009 7:20:42 PM
Can't we just comment on the article and not worry about "SPAM". As a therapist I'm just trying to give advice and not promote anything or anyone.

Wanna delete it............go ahead.........LOL.
 itechman63
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:35:20 PM
Why the heck did Copyright and Spam even come into this discussion?
 kinextions
Msg: 8
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/18/2009 1:51:07 PM
exactly, which is why I state that ABS are created in the kitchen. We all have 6pack ABS under a layer of fat......but some people are very lean and the muscle shows thru.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 9
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/19/2009 7:44:06 PM
Personally I like hanging raises and variations for direct ab work. But if you want functional core strength, try overhead squats.
Supposedly standing ab exercises are generally more 'functional' than those done lying down.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 10
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:07:19 PM
Actually the so called fitness consultants at my gym...the ones that sell personal training always try to get new members to try it. And then when they fail to, they say that's why they need personal training. Yet, I know for a fact that none of the trainers can do them. LOL!
 AwP
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:53:30 AM

How did you find my article and how do I prove i'm me??????????

I'm not him, but it's really easy to do, I found it too. I just took your entire first line of the article and googled it, you are the first link. As a side note, the pic in the article looks like you, so I believe it's you and not a copyright violation.
 kinextions
Msg: 12
Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!
Posted: 6/29/2012 3:52:29 PM
Still love my article after all these years.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Abdominal MYTHS!!!!!