Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HO2
Msg: 1
How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
This may be a skewed survey since its already under the "health/wellness" forum.
During a week of 168 hours available to everyone, how many minutes do you actually truly exercise ?
That means not getting ready, drive time, juice bar time, shower time, --real physical movement only, please.
 HO2
Msg: 2
How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??
Posted: 5/12/2009 8:00:55 AM
Damn......you want POF readers to do the math totals in addition for you......
 zarathustra00
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 9:05:26 AM
Does stretching count? I usually hit the gym 10-12 times per week... about an hour of weights and then stretching 4-5 times afterwards for 15-20 min. My cardio is at most 10 min. So around 13-14 hours I guess.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/12/2009 1:58:01 PM
...How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??...

My Averages so far for 2009

Minutes Exercising: 377 per week
Minutes Exercising: 75.4 per session
Calories Burned (start of 2009 till May 9th): 65,612 calories
Calories Burned (Ave): 3645 per week
Calories Burned (Ave): 729 per session
Calories Burned (Ave): 9.68 per minute

Data via: Suunto t1 HR and then I upload my data to an Excel spread sheet that allows me to track my progress.

In the summer months my minute exercising will go up as I also include mt bike rides, Usually adds ~80mins per week.
 PeterPanInHeart
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 2:17:45 PM
Mmmmm, various exercises (push ups, plank, bodyweight squats with weights) 20 minutes twice a week, stationary bicycle 25 minutes twice a week, biking outside on Friday 3 hours, and 30 minutes running on Sunday.

So total around 5 hours a week.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/12/2009 4:27:01 PM
This depends on what you consider "exercise"?

If you consider only time spent in a gym to be exercise... I have been slacking greatly in the last two months.

However, please understand that not all work outs and exercise take place in the gym. I work a retail store 8 hours a day. I am constantly standing and walking the distance of the store all day long. Carrying clothes. Many times several pair of jeans. I haven't taken my pedometer to calculate just how many steps I take in a day... but I will tell you I have lost 3 pant sizes since starting this job in January.

On my days off, I have been rearranging furniture then going on hikes with my friend and her great dane. Then when home, I wrestle with the great dane.

If/When I am in the gym, I spend a total of a half an hour in it. I go there specifically for the weights. I don't have a work out buddy. So I am alone there. No need for me to stay any longer than to do several sets of each machine for the area I am concentrating on that day. I walk to the gym... then walk home. I prefer my cardio much more outside.

Not all exercise is IN the gym.
 HO2
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/12/2009 5:09:19 PM
None of my exercise is in the gym --mother nature throws in the variables for me.
There are a zillion ways to get resistance training without ever setting foot in one.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/12/2009 5:35:15 PM

None of my exercise is in the gym --mother nature throws in the variables for me.
There are a zillion ways to get resistance training without ever setting foot in one.

I have learned that I become healthier mentally and physically when I do what I can out side. The two mile walk to the gym can sometimes be the most rewarding time of my day.

What kinds of things do you do that are not in the gym?
 artist_48
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/12/2009 8:34:28 PM
weights/ cardio- 4-6 hrs

playing (kayaking, hiking, etc.)- lots (8-10+)- active, real physical movement
 jaqi
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 1:12:48 PM
oooer never broken it down in this way before

cardio 60 mins
weights 176 mins
stretching 210 mins
dancing 480-720 mins
face exercises 77 mins

very physical job...on feet most of a 13 hours shift up and down flights of stairs and walking.

extra curricular exercise...often as possible
 Wolfguard
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:11:11 PM
Depends on if I am contest ready or off season.

Off season 12 weeks or further from a contest:
Monday: 1 hour
Tuesday: 1 hour
Thursday: 1 hour
Friday: 1 hour
Saturday 2-3 hours This is my strong man event days

12 weeks or closer to a contest

Tuesday: 1:15 min
Thursday 1:15 min
Saterday: 3-5 hours strong man event day

On event day I train with a group so there is a lot of rest time during events
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/13/2009 4:53:48 PM
14 - 17 hours for 3 weeks a month and 7 - 9 hours during recovery week.

3 hours of weights the remainder cardio.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/13/2009 5:14:42 PM
My lifestyle is varied enough with all my outside activities, gardening, building stuff, walking here and there that I don't count minutes but look at the overall day and know that I get hours of movement in a variety of ways. Not a desk job person. Reminds me of an Amish friend who back in the 90's commented that he worked from early morning to evening on his farm and was fit and healthy, yet he would see these men and women in their running outfits running along the road and he would often wonder why they didn't have enough stuff to do around their home that would provide a full work out.

~Beth~
 HO2
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/13/2009 7:09:16 PM
With all due respect, nothing in day to day operations around my house causes me to break a sweat.
I consider exercise anything over and beyond the generic stuff all of us have to do anyways.

Breaking it down , logging it in , opens many peoples eyes as to where all the time actually went.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/14/2009 5:25:23 AM
^^^^^^

Agree! There is 'activities' - working around the house, golfing, leisurely walk, kayaking for fun, etc. Then there is 'exercise' where one raises their heart rate significantly for cardio purpose or working on increasing muscle strength, etc.

Activities are good for you, that's for sure, better then sitting on the couch all day, but they are not workouts.
 Craig%%78
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/14/2009 5:36:35 AM
about 6-7 hours of vigorous exercise in a week. plenty more time doing low intensity stuff e.g. walking, active stretching
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/14/2009 9:22:10 PM
Elliptical, Stair-stepper: 100 min/wk;
weights: 100 min/wk;
running, 80 min/wk;
biking 50 miles per week, or maybe substitute a good hike with lots of (~3000') elevation gain, and only count going up -- 200 mins per week.

All told, maybe 480 minutes per week.
 boloteee
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/15/2009 4:21:47 AM
Skewed is a good word for it HO2.

I do not have 168 hours available to me, in a week, for exercise. Nor does anyone else.

Unless you :

1. Do not sleep. Ever.
2. Do not work.
3. Do not have kids

The list goes on.

How many minutes a week do I actually exercise.......you want minutes?

It varies, Im sure it does for most people. Its unlikely we all exercise to the minute -- Exactly the same as the previous session.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:06:59 AM

...It varies, Im sure it does for most people. Its unlikely we all exercise to the minute -- Exactly the same as the previous session...

Unless you are tracking it you are just guessing how much work your are doing.

Going to the gym for 2hrs a day means nothing unless you can quantify how much work you are doing when you are there.

That is why I use a HR monitor to track how much work I am doing.
 boloteee
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:17:22 AM
Bottomtooth

Your post pretty much sums it up. Ridiculous to even guess how many *minutes* combined - in a week- from every session- from 168 hours that arent even available.

Ho2. Im curious what your *survey* is for?
 HO2
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/15/2009 10:40:41 AM
Message 20

Breaking it down , logging it in , opens many peoples eyes as to where all the time actually went.

Ridiculous - hardly = most people don't have "clue" what they actually do in a week !
They think they do a lot, the reality of it all is they spend only a short time actually physically exerting themselves.

Saying you go to the gym for an hour 3 times a week rarely means 180 minutes of physical exertion, thats all.
 boloteee
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/15/2009 12:32:47 PM
Was your survey everything you hoped for HO2?

For those of us who know you well....this is par for the course for you.

HO2
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:43:36 PM
You don't know me at all.............just that extra cocky knee jerk reaction thing you got going on.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:48:06 PM
Hi H2O

These days to be honest I'm spending about 7 hours a week on a bike. I've been playing with my 11 month old nephew alot, but that doesn't really count. When I waa serious about making gains in my sport I'd train for 25-30 hour a week in a base training phase (cycling, skiing, skting, weights ++) and in season my training hours would drop to about 12 hours a week (all on bike). I think my biggest weeks ever were back packing/tramping and hitch hiking around New Zealand for a couple months and it seemed that I was on my feet for 10 hours a day, most days with about 30 kilograms on my back.

good luck with your survey

cyclingmonk
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:49:47 PM

I consider exercise anything over and beyond the generic stuff all of us have to do anyways.
Before I answer the original question, please confirm that THIS is the definition of "exercise" you are using for this thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How much time (minutes) per week do you exercise ??