Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Don't like vegetables      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jaqi
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Don't like vegetablesPage 1 of 1    
I find it hard to understand those who don't like vegetables as I personally love them. A colleague of mine doesn't like the texture of some and she doesn't eat any salad items either but with respect to her when she sees my lunch box full of colour she invariably will have a 'try' of something.

Avocados are full of good vits, mins and protein but not palatable to a lot of people so if you try one choose a nice soft one that will be spreadable and use it instead of butter. They are great spread on wholewheat toast, on bread and then filled with salad or meat, and great mashed in to nice baked potatoes.

For another baked spud filling try sauteing a small packet of cherry tomatoes cut into halves in virgin olive oil until really soft and add fresh basil and tarragon leaves and pour over the spud.... they taste so sweet and it makes the skins taste fantastic..yum! The spuds are best put in a hot oven unwrapped so the skins can really crisp up... takes about an hour.

There are plenty of books on how to cook veg and also on juicing and smoothies....
Which brings me to another fab way with avocados.... spoon out quarter of a melon... preferably peso or honeydew and put in a blender with a whole ripe avocado and blend until smooth then pour into a bowl over blueberries....mmmmmm.... lovely!
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 11
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:04:52 AM
Maybe try some low carb GOOD protein powders....mix with water or low carb milk. I myself stay OFF the carbs for the most part, and the days I do have them it is followed by a good 40 minutes on the eliptical and then one or two body parts a day of free weights. In my opinion, there really is no substitute for vegetables. I am also very diciplined and once I stick to something I am normally pretty good for it. A lot of what you are trying to do is mind over matter. Maybe find one or two vegetables you DO like and work from there. But there is more to dieting than vegetables. E mail me if you want some suggestions. I eat a certain way as a lifestyle, I do not like to call it a "diet" any more. A lot of meat, 2 small salads a day, an avacado, and protein shakes. My BMI is going way down, and I feel awesome. Again, I am working out like a dog 5 days a week...lol
 AwP
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:23:04 AM
Hide your vegetables in other food. Mashed potatoes are great for hiding foods you don't like, so are many sauces.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 15
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 3/19/2014 3:09:13 PM
Add some olive oil and crushed garlic or other things like grilled onions,mushrooms, Liquid aminos, vinegar,rosemary
( other spices).
Cook with a bit of chicken or uncured, un smoked bacon or turkey bacon.

I think the issue is lack of spices/ and a bit of fat, and not experimenting with variety.
Water chestnuts add crunch if the veggies are cooked.Most of us love a bit of crunch.
Also seeds or even nuts or nut oils
Sprinkle with a bit of cheese, throw in fennel,bok choy and salsa
Make it colorful with different textures

Just get them in.
Don't get in a rut.Broccoli, cauliflour and carrots aren't the only mix out there, although my freezer would disagree at times.

It takes about 5/6 times of eating something to acquire a taste for it.
A wok could help.

I'd try experimenting with the veggies, there are soooo many different types of vegetables and just as many spices and recipes to go along. Some veggies are like beer and are an acquired taste in my opinion

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So true
Remember your first beer? Ugh.
But by the 5/6th time..hmmm, not TO bad.

More ideas?
 JoggerGirl02
Msg: 16
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 3/19/2014 5:20:50 PM
When did we lose sight of the fact that the main function of food is fuel not fun?
What can I say really. I would love to eat cake rather then carrots but the idea is to give your body what it needs, not your head/emotions what they crave.
Just eat them...lots. With gravy always helps them go down :-)
 JoggerGirl02
Msg: 18
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 3/20/2014 4:29:03 PM

And gravy is a "healthy" add on...

Sure is if you make it yourself....try using your veggie water, onions and mushrooms blended together..awesome.

Was I meant to answer that seriously?....I'm never sure in here. :-)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 20
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 3/20/2014 5:30:59 PM
* cup of organic apple juice
* non-fat fruit Greek yogurt
* big bag of fresh kale/spinach blend
* frozen strawberries
* whey protein powder
* several slices of fresh ginger
* ice
* BLEND!

You won't even notice you consumed four servings of fresh vegetables. Enjoy.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 21
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 4/10/2014 3:14:44 PM
I know what you're trying to say...you want an easy way out. Sorry, no can do. Eating lots of carbs will keep your blood sugar elevated, then your body produces more insulin to try to keep up, it stores fat on your body, the pancreas wears out from all the extra work, and then you become diabetic. If you want to lose weight, keep your health, and have a good future, you need to change your eating patterns...there is no choice. Vegetables have micro nutrients that other foods just do not have. Nothing can replace the natural source of nutrients.
Mark Hyman, MD, Joel Fuhrman, MD, Neal Barnard, MD all have websites regarding blood sugar control. They also lecture on PBS during membership drives and are pretty much on the same page when it comes to nutrition. I would suggest you start to research, research, research. Learn about what you are putting in your body. Look up glycemic indexes (the lower the number, the better) and start to take care of your body...one step at a time. Learn about GMOs and processed food poisons/additives, including the sugar that is in all fast/processed foods. This won't be easy, but you have nothing to lose (except weight) and everything to gain.
And while you do all this, I would suggest you start to walk, go up the stairs, and move. This will help you feel better, sleep better, and hopefully give you some motivation. This is a lifestyle choice and it's forever...not a diet.
Been there/Done that.
 Coma_White
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 4/13/2014 10:58:22 PM

I am trying to lose weight and usually eat alot of carbs I have been told. I do not like vegetables other than starchy vegetables. I have seen an Adipex diet for 1500 calories that only eats vegetables once daily but how do I get myself to like them or what can I replace it with that will give me the same thing if there is anything out here that will. I hope you understand what I am trying t say I dont mean to ramble on. Heather

You get yourself to like them to eating them for a few months. No one ever acquired a taste for something by eating it for one day.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 23
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 4/14/2014 3:25:59 AM
I find its harder to get how much I want in every day in the summer at times when I want cold fruit/foods more.
I make cold salads with them, like broccoli salads, cabbage, carrot,cucumber with onions with a bit o vinegar or grated cheese at times and maybe a healthy dressing.

Green smoothies can get in some of the alkaline veggies as mentioned by Eric, it may be easier for people to get adjusted to the taste by making smoothies.

No one ever acquired a taste for something by eating it for one day.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly.

If I were living to eat, instead of eating to live, I would choose bacon, fried chicken and watermelon at most meals.
But I am crazy about the cabbage family of veggies.
Most dogs seem to naturally LOVE green foods/veggies.

Even my son, as a toddler would grab broccoli off my plate after he finished his. Then came "school food" to run his "taste" and then he preferred the starchy vegts.

Just do it.

You can also turn those broc , green bean and asparagus casseroles into a healthier version as a start.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 24
Don't like vegetables
Posted: 4/14/2014 11:46:40 PM
simba lover-you can find one serving containers of vegetables in the frozen section, buy several different kinds, you will discover several that you like, from there, go to the nearest farmers markets and buy them fresh. Try asparagus, I love it, my other faves are string beans and peas. Start going to salad bars, they offer a large selection, just be careful of the dressings you pick, light or no fat are your best bets :)
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Don't like vegetables