Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Must You Be At 100% To Go On A Date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 red_relaxed
Msg: 7
Must You Be At 100% To Go On A Date?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

Heck, sometimes you just feel grumpy for no reason at all.

I don't. There is always a reason I'm grumpy and I can identify those reasons.
Usually it's because I'm hungry.

Don't look at myself in terms of percentages. So your scale is utterly useless to me.
I clean up pretty good, and am quite engaging, and I've found that most people enjoy my company. So, I'm more inclined to think that it's a matter of compatability and mutual comfort level before I agree to meet for a date. Then it feels right for both of us.
 cannpeters
Msg: 9
Must You Be At 100% To Go On A Date?
Posted: 5/16/2009 11:03:48 PM
I'm not a moody person. If I'm feeling down, there's usually a reason for it.

If you are not feeling up to a date, then you can cancel. Doesn't mean the person will reschedule the date, but you have to decide if you want to take that chance.

Personally, I think if you are finding moodiness to be a problem, then it might not be the best time to be dating. Maybe you need some time off the dating scene.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:14:27 AM

Normally, it takes some time from the first contact with a potential date to the actual meeting, meaning that most people don't land a date on the same day that they contact someone. During that in-between time, so much can happen that will affect one's overall mood or enthusiasm for that first meeting. Heck, sometimes you just feel grumpy for no reason at all.

People's moods can change all the time; in an established relationship, we're understanding of it. But if you're about to have your first date with someone and find yourself in less than a great mood, what do you do?
Do you go on the date anyway, hoping your mood will improve if the date goes well? Can the date go well if you're not feeling like you're at your peak? Can you fake it?
Would you cancel the date and reschedule for another time?
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a great mood), at what number do you figure you'd be better off canceling the date?

If someone is so moody that they cant' be pleasant and courteous or have a good time if they arent' at 100% then they should cancel the date to save the other person.

If someone is that self absorbed they are in trouble.
 PAClassyLady
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/18/2009 4:22:12 PM
I agree that a person who cannot control their moods makes a poor potential date. I also agree that circumstances beyond our control dictate moods to a degree. Last week, a few hours after a wonderful weekend with my sweet BF, my beloved dawg was killed by a car. Definite downer, yet he came this weekend and we spent a great time together even though I was feeling a little low (understatement). Just being with him lifted my spirit. Background: I am seriously ill and he knew this from Day One. We live almost an hour apart. Our first date was scheduled before he went to TX to visit his grandchildren but I was ill that weekend. I informed him I would love to meet him at my house but wasn't very up and didn't want to "go out". We spent a lovely afternoon chatting in my living room and it's obvious that the chemistry enhanced my mood and shone through my illness. We hope to be married! Bottom line: If it's an occassional bad mood and you're going to be with someone long-term, bad moods will come and go. Go for it, your spirit will shine through them! Even on a first date...

Happy fishing to all!
 Cod57
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/19/2009 9:10:54 AM
I wouldn't cancel a date unless I was sick or there was some type of emergency. Even if I was angry about something, I can usually put that aside and try to enjoy the date. Perhaps the outcome of the date would be put me in a good mood.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 11:42:42 AM

Can you fake it?

Heck, I can fake a whole relationship.

Faking a date is no big deal.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 12:22:43 PM

...getting out makes me feel better immediately. Why sit home and mope?

That's exactly the point! All of us can get a little blue now and then, especially those of us that are single and live alone. The cure for that almost always is to get your ass out the door and go do something, take a walk in the park or a drive somewhere, wander around the mall or go to a local pub and watch a ballgame, just so you're out amongst other people. Like I said, it happens to all of us at some point. Although I can't ever remember an instance where I was feeling down enough to cancel a date; usually going on a date is something to look forward to with a positive outlook. Sure, being physically ill or family emergencies are perfectly acceptable reasons to cancel. I've also had a few dates that I was less than enthusiastic about, family fix-ups and such. Once I had a woman cancel on me on very short notice when I had tickets to a show I wanted to see. I made a few calls, and ended up with a FOAF (friend of a friend) going with me, who I didn't think was my type at all, but who I knew would at least enjoy the show so the ticket wasn't going to waste. The funny thing was we really hit it off, and ended up in a relationship for almost a year. Its all about attitude I guess, and being open to possibilities, and that can't happen if you're sitting at home on the couch feeling sorry for yourself.
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 3:38:49 PM
I'm never in a bad mood really, so I may not fully understand your perspective. I do know that hanging out with a fascinating woman always brightens my day though!

If I had come down with swine flu, I'd probably ask her to reschedule though!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Must You Be At 100% To Go On A Date?