Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what do men consider overweight?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 michaeld70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
what do men consider overweight?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
To me it depends on the person, I prefer small to medium builds. I've seen thin looking people with no muscle tone, bellies that hang over the pants, everything jiggles, etc. another person who looks twice the size may be solidly built, barely anything to pinch lol. I dont use height/weight because that can be deceiving. With men, would a 6 foot body builder weighing over 250 pounds still be classified as obese because they are X pounds overweight?

Me, I'm overweight, I got a small belly but the rest of me is solid, I dont consider myself at 5'11" and 200 pounds to be obese, although in my pic I was about 30 pounds heavier, wow, that was the biggest I've ever been.

WanderingRain
Msg: 6
view profile
History
what do men consider overweight?
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:56:57 PM
I am overweight, but definitely not pear shaped.
To me, overweight means when one can no longer sit on a regular airline seat.
 techgirl27
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:30:33 AM
I dont see the point? Esp. when I am overweight by the book, but all my pants are a size 6. Yes I'm overweight and a size 6 (and take a medium or small in most tops).
 red_relaxed
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:41:15 AM
Tough question. I don't know what men consider overweight.

I would hope that they're not superficial enough to care if a woman puts on a few pounds, meaning 10 or 15 which isn't a big deal to me. Some men really like bigger women, and some prefer athletic, some want bone racks.

Wouldn't likely attract a man who doesn't like my body anyway. As long as my guy is satisfied with what he's got, that's all that matters. The trouble would start once he wants to change anything about me. And likewise.

I like a man with a little meat on his bones.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:58:32 AM
OP, as most posters have said, you can't get a definitive answer to this question because it varies from person to person. In my time of dating, two men have found me larger than their taste and had the nerve to say so, but one of those men subsequently had a three month relationship with me and we are still friends. My sparkling personality, wit, general attractiveness, and intelligence made up for my 20 extra pounds. He was shorter than most men whom I usually see more than once, but I made allowances for him, too. (Evil grin.)

Other men seemed to find my weight NO problem.

If I have to use a crane to move a roll of fat to see a patch of hair, I'm not going there.

For the love of god (any god), Buzzy, don't you KNOW any line besides this one?

Obese people tend to be lazy and lack self motivation and tend to battle depression. I know, I work with both.

Then your lack of compassion is appalling.
 celts123
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:17:15 AM
Overweight is to me when a person clearly has excess body fat especially on their waist. A few extra pounds is not a big deal. Some women with a few extra pounds can be very attractive. But I'm not attracted to obese women.
 ron62449
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:31:06 AM
There is nothing wrong with a little over weight, as long as they know who to carry it, dress, and self confident about them selves. I've seen some over weight women carry it very well and look GOOD. While I've also seen some fat women walking around in clothes that show every pound. Seen them in spandex tights, pant/sweatsuits that show huge overhangs and rearends. My god, dressing good makes a lot of difference.

Ron
 celts123
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:58:42 AM
Yes, girls are less picky on this. We look for personality and that is what makes them goodlooking. With a touch of whatever we can't describe

I disagree. Women in general can be just as picky about looks / weight as men are. There are dating sites that cater to BBWs. Therefore there are some men who don't mind and actually prefer larger women. For the sake of argument, even if men were more picky about weight, some women can be very picky about other things such as height and income.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/17/2009 1:26:29 PM

Men tend to put on a little belly weight this is usually seen as acceptable by women, as long as it's carried well.

What's a "little" belly weight?

I don't mind a man with a few extra pounds, but I simply cannot stand those men who look like they are pregnant or whose belly enters the room five minutes before the rest of them. They look like frogs. Interestingly enough, I have heard those same men make derogatory remarks about fat women.

My deceased ex father-in-law used to brag that he could wear 34 inch waist pants. He never seemed to notice that the pants barely covered his private parts and though his legs were skinny, he looked as if he were pregnant with triplets.

However very few men like women carrying weigth on thier tummy. Mostly as it appears as rolls so to speak.

Ya know, I see women who look like this all the time, and they are with men! It must be difficult for all those physically perfect men to be with women who are so imperfect.
 gudtogo21
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:08:51 PM
Overweight is when one can pinch more than inch.

I'm making tent with my bubbler in case I ever find my self in a survival situation - yeah that's the ticket.

I was visiting Budapest a few years ago, looked around the airport, and was shocked to realize, I didn't see one overweight person. I mean not even 10 lbs over weight.
Come back to America, and 5 out of 10 people are not just over weight, they are triple wide with a bag of chips.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/17/2009 5:39:13 PM

I just wonder how people can let themselves go like that.

Obesity occurs because of several factors--and not necessarily because a person is lazy as one poster is fond of reiterating. It is about self esteem, personal worth, and a feeling of hopelessness. As we age, we are subject to creeping obesity--you gain five pounds in a year, no big deal, right? The next year, another five pounds, and so on. This doesn't usually result in morbid obesity, though.

Because I used to weigh 250 pounds, I know all about the reasons why people are obese. I was unhappy with my life but felt powerless to change it. Losing weight was one of the things I did to gain power.

I also love food, the taste and the texture--and some studies show that obese people don't know when to stop eating.

Look at most TV sitcoms (and I know not real life) but why do they always have a goodlooking woman with a funny guy? Probably cause that seems to be the norm. Most girls are looking at personality (and a confidence within them) and that is how the guy is attractive.

Since when are sitcoms mirrors of real life? In the 50s and 60s, how many families were really like Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, or Leave it to Beaver?

I am an inveterate people watcher, and I RARELY see a beautiful woman with an obese or ugly man!

I think those TV shows are to placate the common man, giving him the illusion that he, too, COULD have a gorgeous wife. They also send a silent but pervasive message to women that WE should settle for the ugly/fat, inconsiderate but "funny" guy.

Women are concerned about looks, and if they are smart, they also look at financial status--NOT so a man can support them, but so they don't have to support a man.

Call me jaded, but also call me realistic.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/17/2009 6:17:15 PM

to me, most guys think there are two categories of women, sticks and bbw. you either are a stick or you are not acceptable.

Thank the powers that be that I don't know the same men that you know. This is simply not true--or most people in the US would NOT have partners.

In fact, most of the men with whom I have consorted, on romantic and platonic levels, say they don't like stick women. It doesn't mean that they want fat women, either, so there must be some categories in between.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:21:06 PM

He probably didn't realize HOW overweight he had become, the same pants size fooled him.

Nah, his doctor told him if he didn't lose weight, he was going to die of a heart attack.

And he did.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:44:16 PM

I was visiting Budapest a few years ago, looked around the airport, and was shocked to realize, I didn't see one overweight person. I mean not even 10 lbs over weight.

My sister and I were discussing that when we were kids, we NEVER saw grossly obese people--overweight, plump, yes, but not those who weighed in excess of 200 pounds or so. Now, it doesn't matter where you go, you see people in excess of 300 pounds.

We have become a fat nation, in part, because of the availability of food. I wonder if nations who are still "skinny" are so because of health consciousness, culture, or the unavailability of food. If people can afford to travel, it probably isn't the last aspect.

I am also curious about people from other countries assimilating into the US--how long does it take for them to begin to get fat, or do they? For instance, second and third generation Asians are generally taller than their parents--will they eventually be fatter?

yes! that is what i can't stand. when ugly, overweight men insist on petite, supermodel-esque girlfriends.

But when we see an ugly, fat man with a good-looking woman, we just know he has money.

Right?

(Evil grin.)
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:32:19 PM
This is absolutely no slam on the above poster, but a flat stomach without brains and personality is just a flat stomach!

Same for a pretty or handsome face--but yet I know as well as anyone that looks count.

For me, there must be a balance of looks, intelligence, creativity, and a couple more factors.
 evrybdy
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:35:40 PM
The convenience argument is definitely something I have seen in some of my family too. I don't have a car so I walk everywhere outside to get the exercise I need for my nerve-damaged legs (and cause I love walking!) and most in my family (except for my grandma, bless her heart) wouldn't even go walking with me, even though they all say they need to lose weight. They would rather take their car across the street than just walk it and it's just across the street! LOL I don't honestly get that. I may not be the best of health yet (gaining more weight though, so getting there!) but I truly hate sitting at home every day, I get anxious and need to see the outdoors!

M
 Man In New Hampshire
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:23:11 PM
Gwendolyn2009 has the best attitude Iv'e heard. And although she lists herself as a few pounds over, her few pounds are deffinately not a detrament.

It is all based on life's experiences and how we percieved attractivness when first starting dating.

Of course I am just an old guy that has always been more interested in who the person is rather than how she looks. And who she is and her self image will affect how she looks.

Just an old guys opinion.
 celts123
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/18/2009 11:06:07 AM

Celts I have to diagree with you. Look at most TV sitcoms (and I know not real life) but why do they always have a goodlooking woman with a funny guy? Probably cause that seems to be the norm. Most girls are looking at personality (and a confidence within them) and that is how the guy is attractive. Yes there is the hot guys we all say ohhhhh!!! but how many of them end up with a so called over weight person. More in real life will you find an attractive fit girl with the average guy. Then the hot guy with average girl. Online might be different cause we don't know personalities and we go on pixs and some made up profile. So looks are important. True to say about income, but most ladies don't just look at that. Gold diggers in all excluded. Usually if a guy has made money it is built on his personality and smarts so that personalilty will show through before his looks. Which makes him attractive. Just my take on things, but some will diagree.

That's fine. We are entitled to our opinions. But based on what I have seen, when an attractive woman is with a below average looking man or fat man, it is often ( not always ) largely because he is rich, famous, powerful or he had gained a lot of weight after they had started dating each other.
 Landra
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/18/2009 11:35:37 AM
Just look around.... you'll see what I see.
A handsome young man with wife who's shaped like a little apple with legs.
A tall, thin man with an equally tall, thin wife.
An averaged-size older man with a woman who has a body like a 12 year old girl.
A slightly heavy man with a trim, toned girlfriend.
A man who's 30 pounds overweight with a woman shaped like Marilyn Monroe.
A tubby white man with a flat-chested, thin Asian woman.
A short, slight man with an equally short, slight woman.
A 5'6" man with a tall, shapely blond bombshell wife.
A very big, tall man with a petite wife nearly 2 feet shorter than him.
A heavyset man with a heavyset woman.

Who can say what's attractive to one and not the other?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2009 11:57:18 AM
It's such a subjective thing. Two women of the same height and weight may look very different, so in the end it comes down to individual attraction. However, there are some generalities that can be made that are true for many people.

BMI is not perfect - there is no perfect way to assess this. Someone who is slender with a low BMI can be very unfit, yet someone whose BMI indicates overweight could be very fit.

Standard BMI ranges are these:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Typically, many men are most attracted to women whose BMI falls in the 18 to 21 range, if I recall those numbers correctly from a study I read not long ago. In that range, there's not much room for awkward distributions of weight!

I've encountered women with BMI around 27 who were fabulously beautiful, and some at BMI 20 who looked unhealthy and unattractive. It depends totally on the individual and the observer.
 fishfood!
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/18/2009 4:33:29 PM
it depends on height really......but if you can pinch an inch your ok, if you can pinch 3+ inches you better go and exercise.
 michaeld70
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2009 7:24:17 PM

Read my profile, 4th commandment.

WOW, what an "interesting" profile.
 NoQuarterGiven
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/19/2009 2:08:19 PM

Men don't care about weight.
They care about shape.

Exactly. It's how a woman carries that weight that's important. If it's all in areas that are unsexy when big like arms, thighs, neck, then it doesn't look good. If it's in her hips, ass, breasts, then rock on. There are limits though. There's only so much weight each frame can handle before things start to sag, protrude, and hang over clothing. Not sexy!
 dallasdoer
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 5:39:43 PM
I will get blasted here for the truth but it is obvious that playboy models are the prototype and everything bigger than that is just a matter of what a man will put up with. Nobody really finds fat attractive unless they are abnormal and it probably has to do with some psychic anomaly. Lucky for fatties but by definition those guys are not main stream which may be indicative of other potential deviations.
 forum101
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 12:05:21 AM
micheal70 """"Me, I'm overweight,''''""""
why do you classify yourself as overage??
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what do men consider overweight?