Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > 5 to 1 ratio of women to men in Vancouver      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 3
5 to 1 ratio of women to men in VancouverPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
5 women to 1 man and only a few a good men. It is women who should be alarmed, but this isn't news to us. Do you see why we are on online dating sites?

I have heard the ratio of women to men favours women on these dating sites, but the problem is then we are only dealing with half a good man.
 icicool
Msg: 7
view profile
History
5 to 1 ratio of women to men in Vancouver
Posted: 5/19/2009 10:58:23 PM
Careful, I am scared for my life!!
I keep getting the feeling I am being looked at like a peice of Meat or something, and it is degrading, I feel dirty, I feel ashamed of myself....

Yea right, cause this happens..

Damn I missed the forums, I think personally it doesn't matter if its 5-6 to 1 or 1 to 1 - the point is, whether you've been a part of the dating scene of not ( it don't matter how long you've been out of it ) talk to people, converse, socialize!! The worst thing that could happen is someone walks off on you, then you count your blessing you didn't get involved with that $&^#$@# and you move onto talk to someone else. The Key is to NOT be looking for someone to date but rather someone to get to know.
Oh, be yourself and be confident, with 5-6 to 1 ratios, your going to make alot of friends and who knows where that will go.

homes01
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:10:00 AM
well i fthat is the ratio,well it goes to show you some of these woman just may have some issues,maybe just a half a woman,so you put the halfes together and the ratio drops,works both ways
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 12:05:49 AM
Holy Moly!... I don't like STATS!!!!

put it away..that is not a good thing to post for gosh sakes!!!!

you think I needed to drop into a deep depression!??????????

all I know is that men my age don't want a serious relationship.... no matter what they say....they just want good companionship... no more marriage stuff. They and I have Been There... Done That...and didn't even get a crappy t-shirt for time served.

any man my age who wants a long term...wants a maid... someone to do his laundry...clean his house.

Just the view from where I stand.... or lay.
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/13/2009 6:07:41 AM

men my age don't want a serious relationship.... no matter what they say....they just want good companionship... no more marriage stuff.

^^^^ I have to ask. Why would you consider a serious relationship and marriage to be one and the same ????? Maybe just me,,, but I don't believe I have to be "married" to be in a serious monogamous relationship.
I would also like to say that any man my age has gained enough experince to know and understand that if we wanted cleaning to be done around the house we sure as hell wouldn't be asking any the women in our age group. Some of the women I know break into a cold sweat as soon as someone mentions the words cooking or cleaning.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:49:45 AM
In reference to men my age.... totally a out there general statement by me.... I know this.

I was eluding to men and women in my age range who have left a long term relationship... a marriage of 20 plus years.

for me..it was 26.5 years with my Ex....an I don't know if I could be brave enough to enter such a relationship again.....babysteps for now...and got to find that right person first!
 TonyVu1985
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:07:03 PM
I think it depends where you go

sometimes you go places, and there are more girls than mangoes in the phillipines

and then sometimes you go places, and its a sausage fest like them swedish oktoberfest whatever things

and also make sure you have a real "women" - cause I done seen girls from behind, but when they turned around, **** had a beard and I think I saw a bulge in the crotch (tranny alert)

and also there are some parts of town where its literally gay - like there are no breasts, vaginas, pretty faces, and that warm feeling you get when a lady is around

another thing about girls here, is they buy you drinks....man, I love girls;)
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:03:42 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ OY!!!!!!! you got me all confused Tony!

Meatballs and Mangoes.......and Sausages?.........I think that's Bavarian Oktoberfest btw....

but I got the general sense of things.

I find that gay night clubs are great places to find interesting pple ...and be totally confused by the Ratio Thing....cos you don't know who is who...and what is what when you are on the dance floor. I find that half of the patrons are hetrosexual and just there for the dancing and laughter and the body grinding.
I lot of straight gals there too...just looking to have a body to rub up against when they dance.

Hey Tony....can you give me directions to this Swedish Sausage Fest please.
 Bush Pilots Daughter
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/13/2009 7:18:49 PM
Well I guess I chose the wrong city to move to ( Victoria ) . I moved here a month ago from Edmonton and there are more men than women here by far ....that said if there is a person for you ,you will find him / her .......why worry about numbers
 Walts
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/4/2009 5:49:17 AM
^^^^^^ What???? No percentages of the number of neutered nuns???? I'm guessing that number would be a tad high.

MWI
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2009 3:45:23 PM
All you have to do is look at the ratio of women to men replying in this thread to see that ratio is untrue.

Dating sites favour women because the ads for the sites target men.

Here's one of the ads that I always see when I login to POF:
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CLjnp77m9ubZXhCsAhj6ATIIL0j4A9RfEPM
(Note that's a jpeg image, not the ad itself)
"Join Vancouer's only Dating site with 80% women, Established Men, sugar dating dating"
That ad makes me mad. There is another version of it that says 4:1 ratio. I wonder how they get women onto the site? Show ads on womens sites about guys willing to buy them Louis Vuittons?

Most of the third party advertisements on POF are these like this.

Dating sites however don't work very well for shy males (for for anyone who is too shy to even put a photo up,) since the assumption is that males will message women, and women will only respond to those they want to. They only work well for those with high self-esteem. If females want to find a nice guy, they need to message guys proactively as well, otherwise they may only be contacted by guys that they find are too aggressive.

Just my opinion.
 PiggyT
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/3/2009 3:56:27 PM
^^^ You mean all I have to do is put a picture up???? But I think my snout is too big and my tail is too small...
 MWI
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2009 7:25:36 PM

^^^ You mean all I have to do is put a picture up???? But I think my snout is too big and my tail is too small...

Ah but such is the case why people use the online sites and not the ads in the newspaper. It's so much easier for one to dismiss someone based on appearances with a social networking/dating/community site. A pictures worth a thousand words.

Someone looking for a friend may have less interest in a photo. Virtually every forum I've ever visited has a "real photo" thread somewhere of what the members actually look like. In some cases it strokes their ego's, and in other cases it dismisses people as potential dating material, even if the site was never a dating site to begin with.
 Moanie
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/3/2009 7:51:04 PM
^^^^ I think MWI makes some great points....

Personally I think everyone worries about the same things, snouts, tails, fangs...
There are many women who feel the same as the men....they don't post their pics because they feel they will be rejected based on their looks.....

And that is a shame, because I think when you post your picture, you give the women the confidence to post theirs too.

Cripes I read these profiles and think, OH NO, most of the men spend all their time at the gym! Why would anyone like that be interested in me? And for those that don't post their pics, you run the risk of being thought evasive, as though you have something to hide

I doubt the stats are that different on here from the rest of the population, except for those over 60, when the stats probably increase slightly for females.
 MWI
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2009 12:57:10 AM

Cripes I read these profiles and think, OH NO, most of the men spend all their time at the gym! Why would anyone like that be interested in me? And for those that don't post their pics, you run the risk of being thought evasive, as though you have something to hide

Haha, yeah.

The matching algorithm for POF seems to keep matching "extreme athlete" women for me and I'm like "How?", Nothing wrong with that either. I just don't see how I'd be a match for them.
 MWI
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2009 8:27:23 PM

Any chance you've been viewing profiles of "extreme athletes" ?

There's your answer

Of course, because that is what POF was showing me :) The first time I saw the "Your matches" most of them were like "I like to goto the gym, do the grouse grind, Yoga and I'm looking for an activity partner who can keep up with me, etc"

I would like to try new things, but I don't really see myself being able to keep up with them.

MWI is my new hero, although i think he should change his do like section to do want.

Aw thanks. It's not "Do Want" because that is pretty much a bunch of AND/OR. The profile was so much longer but I felt that maybe I was just saying too much.

On the other hand, there isn't a whole lot of deal breakers, I may seem not picky, but I find it's actually ones personality that I'm more likely to not like than what they look like. The only thing a profile says about ones personality is how honest they are.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/5/2009 3:38:26 PM

ohhh and I will say this .....Victoria is very white

A few people have said that Victoria is the 'Satanist capital of BC'. Apparently that's where their headquarters is. I wonder if this has any bearing to why Victoria is very white. Maybe the Satanists are sacrificing all the ethnic people.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/5/2009 10:08:42 PM
I don't know about Vancouver. I wonder what the ratio is in Kelowna? Anyone know?
 MWI
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2009 11:04:34 PM
It never dawned on me how white Victoria was until I moved to Vancouver. Maybe it was because I grew up somewhere that was far more white.

And that Victoria rumor is because of the book "Michelle Remembers" , google it if you want to know more.
 Mobiledj
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2009 11:07:56 AM
If there are 5 women to every guy in Vancouver someone has taken my share

Re: the comment on people in BC being more fit is because we get better weather out here than ab. If you look at the world as a whole any place that has hot weather people are generally fitter and thinner. For example you look at the spanish in South America and the people of Florida compared to those in inlands southern states. Now thinking about it maybe places that have a lot of beaches make the difference.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:00:33 PM
mmmmm....Fresh Meat has arrived......let the Cougars in to feed.

be very careful what you wish for McFish.....very careful....and yes, be afraid ...be very afraid.

With so little fresh meat about it's just a feeding frenzy at times....they are not looking for 'The One' though luv.... it's all about feeding the libido.
 silibus
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/30/2009 11:00:30 PM
And as well, Vancouver has the earliest spring every year in the whole counrty which seems to last until late in the summer and tends to work against men who are sincerely looking for more than just sex but a lasting relationship. I now understand why so many in the GVA have a problem differentiating love from lust. Sex, by the way is a commodity that can be bought, especially in Vancouver. Love on the other hand needs to be intentionally nurtured and few have the patience to go through the whole dance from first glance to first kiss. If you do not have the patience to spend Enough time in courtship but rush straight to the mattress you may never experience Love. And That Is a Grand Loss. Love cannot be bought anywhere on this planet. Not even in Vamvouver. Sorry.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/3/2009 11:20:16 PM

No wonder I find myself replacing 5 broken Basement Windows every Year ...
 Ed Bear
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2009 3:18:29 AM
Dance meets draw more women than men because men just don't seem to want to dance after high school. The breakfast meet I attended had 2 women present and over 20 men; the ride meet had one woman and six men; only four men actually went on the ride.

Most large cities have very even gender balance - even 3 or 4 percent has significant social effects. Many suspect that Vancouver has a slight male excess because it's a favoured lifestyle location for gay men.

On PoF, we hear lots of allegations of female numbers but women get many, many more contacts and responses than men. If one looks through photos in the ratings section, one gets fifty to sixty men for each woman... are men that much more prone to posting lots of photos? Are women refusing to be rated? In the Approvals Ratings, which are not self-selected, I see as many as 100 men to one woman - but all the gross nudes and pubes they try to post probably mean they have to repost very often. :)

Ed Bear
 MWI
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 1:20:52 AM

On PoF, we hear lots of allegations of female numbers but women get many, many more contacts and responses than men.

I'll be honest and say I've only had one contact the entire time. I haven't contacted anyone first yet. But in terms of people "looking" (from the "people who viewed you"), usually a few of those each time I login. I'd say women likely can just wait for the right person to contact them, or find someone. Guys on the other hand may only have the option of "find someone."

I know I need to get more photos. I have no idea what women believe is eye catching.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > 5 to 1 ratio of women to men in Vancouver