Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating in the workplace?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thwipp89
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
dating in the workplace is generally not a good idea. when it ends (and it usually does end- you're probably not gonna get married), it'll be awkward and someone will probably want to quit. do you not mind finding another job when this happens? it could be several months or it could be 1 or 2 dates.

also, if you ask her out and she is seeing someone, that's another awkward stumbling block- you'll see her every day at work and be the dork who asked the taken chick out. i'd do a little asking around to find out if she's single, first, romeo =)
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:52:54 PM
No question has to be awkward. It's all in how you ask.

Me: "So any hot dates for the weekend?"
Her:
- If she's interested, she'll definitely say something like "No, no - Man, I haven't been on a date in a long time!"
- If she is dating but is still interested, she may be a little flustered with her response and that's a good sign for you.
- If she's not interested, she won't have much to say to that question, but you haven't lost anything. Heck, you could be more blatant and ask "So, are you a single girl or what?" and you still haven't offended her or caused tension in the workplace - It's just a simple question, yet still a powerful step towards the conversation you really want to have.

You get a lot of information back from a simple, completely risk-free question - If you just know how to listen! The worst that can happen is her answer is "Yes, my fiance is flying me to his Hawaiian mansion for the weekend!", and you get to move on with your life.

Never just sit back and let life happen to you, or you'll always be losing out!
 bmore_goat
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 5/18/2009 8:42:58 AM
I'm a firm believer of not dipping your pen in the company ink, but you are 19 selling popcorn in a one screen movie theater. Hardly a career choice in the scheme of things.

Ask her out for coffee after your shift, see what happens.
 thwipp89
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 5/20/2009 1:50:36 AM
"I learned my lesson to never get your money and your honey at the same place!"

there's another good saying:
never sh*t where you eat.

you get the idea.
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:42:26 AM
**Clarification alert**

He's 19, working the popcorn stand at a one-screen movie theatre. He could sleep with the manager (or the manager's wife) and I'll wager it wouldn't have the slightest impact on his future career.

Go for it, and have fun!
 luckygreentiger
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:23 AM
well considering you're working at a movie theatre and still pretty young--at least ask her if she's seeing anyone to test the waters. generally i'd say dating people from the work place can lead to Bad Things (tm) more often than not because your work and personal life will start to overlap and if it ends bad it will make work hell. but at this point in your life, live a little.
 avpd
Msg: 33
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 8/9/2009 9:52:18 AM
I would do a calculation: Is it easier to get a date or a job? If the economy is good or if you are so highly skilled that it is easy for you to switch jobs then dating where you work is fine. If you have a few dates with that person and you want to get serious then just move to another job.

The other part of the calculation is how hard is it for you to get a date. For some people it is very difficult. In that case it would be difficult and probably unwise to turn down any opportunity.

However if if is both difficult for you to get both dates AND jobs you may want to consider becoming a monk.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 35
Dating in the workplace?
Posted: 8/17/2009 3:48:01 PM
It doesn't even have to be at work or school - just someplace where you see the person regularly or at least bump into him/her often. I've gone through two such experiences in a "simple" place as the gym. It's the "silliness" that follows once things don't work out, e.g., ignoring each other. Neutral ground is always best even though we rarely get to choose.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating in the workplace?