Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > WEEKLY BLOG: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FatPersnalTrainer
Msg: 1
WEEKLY BLOG: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUPPage 1 of 1    
CERTIFIED SHORT GUY SAYS...

HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID

Alrite everyone, we have a national crisis on our hands. No, Im not talking about gas prices, or how a single bottle of my Michelob Ultra costs $5.25 at many restaurants, nor am I talking about how DC teams cant seem to win anything. No, Im talking about the High Fructose Corn Syrup Crisis!

You may hear people say theyre cutting down on fats and carbs, but I bet you’ve never (or rarely) heard someone say theyre going to cut down on High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). Like many things, there are studies saying this ingredient is horrible for you, and there are studies (mostly by the people who make it) saying its no worse than sugar. But from my own experience (Sure I’m 23 years old, but I have a wide variety of experiences) and from people I know, cutting down on this stuff will actually help quite a bit with trimming down, along with a healthy balanced diet.

So by now you may be asking ‘What is this High Fructose Corn Syrup stuff?’ Well, its a group of corn syrups that goes through a process to convert its glucose into fructose. Afterwards, it gets mixed with pure corn syrup so that it tastes sweet. (If that confuses you, try reading the scientific description, even Steven Hawking would say “huh? I don’t get it.”) Unfortunately, this stuff is beginning to replace sugars in many processed foods, mainly because its cheaper, (mainly because companies want to save money for some odd reason).

High Fructose Corn Syrup’s main ingredient is (I bet you’d never guess) fructose. So scientists decided to put this stuff to the test, to see if it really does make us more fat. And who better to test it on than, umm, mice (you can see the similarities between a mouse and a human…apparently). So when scientists fed mickey mouse high quantities of fructose (that’s HFCS), they realized that it increases obesity, makes the liver produce triglycerides, and induces insulin resistance. After a few weeks, mickey mouse showed signs of fatty liver disease and type 2 diabetes. Does it mean anything for us human-ites? Who knows, they’re just mice. But I will say this, after introducing HFCS to the world, the obesity rates HAVE climbed. So my suggestion is to read labels. If it has High Fructose Corn Syrup, AND more than 8 grams of sugar, Id keep the consumption to a minimum.

That’s it for now. Lately I’ve been trying to find out the effects of mass quantities of alcohol on humans, so im going to travel to Australia to give mass quantities of alcohol to koala bears to see what happens.
 outdoorsfuninsun
Msg: 2
WEEKLY BLOG: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
Posted: 5/20/2009 6:02:09 PM
it's amazing how many things at the local groccery are packed with HFCS.
 thisisrightnow
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:59:31 PM
I avoid HFCS at pretty much all costs and all those vegetable oils. I get annoyed when my family buy stuff with it in it. For example I make my own Italian dressing and my step dad would buy regular vegetable oil, so I had to go buy Canola oil instead, cause I refuse to make my dressing with vegetable oil. It's funny how much my eyes have been opened to nutrition since starting to eat low carb two years ago.
 techgirl27
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:39:10 PM
Cutting this down to next to nothing in what I eat is the one thing that made the biggest difference in my waistline. The day I started avoiding this stuff, my clothes started getting looser without any change in exercise. This stuff causes inflammation. When you cut out what is causing the inflammation, your abdominal size will shrink. I learned about this about 3 years ago from the "YOU On A Diet" CD's. Those are great CD's.
 Andrew_2424
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/20/2009 9:19:46 PM
What if they came up with a High Fructose Corn Syrup, that tasted like HFCS, but was good for you? That would be awesome.
 Mystie_Dragonfly
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/20/2009 9:44:31 PM
What if they came up with a High Fructose Corn Syrup, that tasted like HFCS, but was good for you? That would be awesome.

They do! It's called honey :P

It's 100% natural, sweeter than HFCS, and a whole hell of alot better for your entire body!!

...in moderation of course :)
 techgirl27
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 11:05:42 PM
it tastes just like sugar syrup. Actually its blech until its flavored with something you're used to like maple flavoring or chocolate flavoring or ketchup (tomato flavoring). Its mainly used in products as a thickener, sweetener, and/or shelf life extender. Not very attractive by itself.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/21/2009 6:10:09 AM
You know they feed animals this stuff til they develop diabetes, so that they can study them. So if they are doing that to animals, causing this in animals...what makes you think you will not develop this as well. From what i read..seem like average of ppl consume about 145lbs of this stuff a year...and we wonder why so many ppl are sick
 Belle Requin
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/21/2009 7:32:06 AM
I'm allergic to corn and it's derivatives, so I avoid it at all costs, however, has never made a difference in my weight. That being said, you'll virtually RARELY see anything on a Cdn shelf with the ingredient HFCS. We refer to it as "glucose-fructose"; it is a corn sugar, and it's in almost everything. All major brands of soda, pretty much every fruit****ail beverage, most jams, sauces, and icecreams.
 PlanelyCrazy
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/21/2009 11:30:20 PM
Ah, corn. That wonder product. Originally grown by Native Americans as maize; helped keep the original settlers alive. Exported quickly around the world by the Europeans, it soon caused pellagra in Europe and elsewhere because the original Indian method of treating corn with lime (to avoid the niacin deficiency) wasn't understood. Easy and cheap to grow in abundance but difficult to transport without spoilage, it was soon found to be more economical to ferment and transport as corn liquor. Cheap and plentiful liquor, of course, lead to a crisis of public drunkenness in the U.S. in the late 1700's which naturally led to the equally overboard sobriety crusade 120 years later: Prohibition. Corn starch hydrolysis invented after the Civil War, corn syrup and corn sugar around 1900, high fructose corn syrup in 1967, and ethanol in the 1970's. The ultimate commercial crop, fed in abundance to livestock and accompanied by a brilliant marketing campaign touting the benefits of 'corn-fed' as superior to grass-fed. Supported all-out in the U.S. by huge subsidies to corn farmers while maintaining high tariffs on sugar imports, making it well-nigh economically impossible to create a more diversified agricultural ecosystem. Now you're telling me that consuming massive quantities of this stuff after enzymatic processing is making us all fat. Well, imagine that
 mr_substance
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/27/2010 11:53:42 PM
I have found an amazing nine part series on YouTube about Fructose. If you really want a complete and thorough understanding of this toxin including statistical data as well as a complete breakdown of exactly how Fructose is broken down in our bodies. There are also the exact same breakdowns of Glucose and Ethanol to show you just how similar Fructose is to SUGAR MADE FROM ALCOHOL!! Fructose is a TOXIN! Please watch this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxyjcvW7RE

I am also planning on starting a YouTube group to spread awareness of this poison in our food supply. And what sinister companies Coke and Pepsi are!!! There is no healthy alternative to drinking a cola. You either drink the regular cola with Fructose or you drink the diet version with ASPARTAME!!! Down with Coke and Pepsi!!!

Live healthy! Eat for your blood type! Refuse to eat the crap our governments allow big corporations to feed us in mass quantities!!!
Joe
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > WEEKLY BLOG: HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP