Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If your profile is 2 lines don't expect a long first message!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
If your profile is 2 lines don't expect a long first message!Page 1 of 1    
Here's a question. Why e-mail a woman with no info in her profile at all? I never understood this. If you don't like a profile with nothing in it, then don't condone it by sending messages....sigh.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 4
view profile
History
If your profile is 2 lines don't expect a long first message!
Posted: 5/22/2009 10:06:18 AM
I can't stand that, so I can relate. I have no time for anyone who does not take the little effort it takes to write a profile and come up with a list of interests. Love the ones that say "Just ask!," like everyone else should do the work necessary to get to know them. Gimme a break!
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:34:33 AM

Seriously, what is it with women that manage to put two sentences in their profile and one of them is "Be creative, don't message me with something like 'Hey baby' - I won't respond"?

What picazzhole said: they think just showing up is sufficient.

I've noticed one whose profile consists entirely of "sdgdfgljasdfljsdfaj asfljasdfjaslfj" -- and she's got 140 faves, so it must be working for `em.

It's part of that Cinderella Syndrome thing they've got going, that "The One" will instantly see their "True Inner Beauty" and be so smitten that he'll break down all the barricades in order to sweep them away to Happily Ever After Land. Or something like that. I try not to think about it much.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:41:44 AM

That's certainly a valid argument but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I had a good experience with someone on here that started with "Hi how are you?" messages.

Oh ok well I guess it depends on who you ask. I like to know about a guy before I even talk to him, and the profile is a chance to do that. When I see a guy with no information at all, I assume he:

1. Doesn't really want to find anyone
2. Doesn't want to make an effort.

In most cases, it's been pretty much on the money. One or two haven't been that way, but that's not enough for me to spend time on any future blank profiles.

I just refuse to spend any more time on making first contact than they did.

They contact you first? I'm not clear on what you mean by this based on the OP.
Now as far as sending the second message - that was an experiment, as I said, specifically to prove the point.

Ok, I assumed this was about first time contacts...not people you've already established conversations with. Nevermind.
 Sheldon86
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 10:46:27 PM
Ya the two sentence profiles drive me half mad you might see someone you have interest in whether it be sexual or the little he/she has written there is really interesting but it's hard to make a good reply with such little info.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:02:49 PM

RE: brown_eyed_woman: Consistency is supposed to be a virtue?! What kind of standard is that?

Maybe it's a virtue in some people's eyes. We all have things that make us take note. I'm an accountability fiend. I don't know that I'd call my end of it a virtue (respecting accountability) but I'd certainly say that's a virtue when one possesses the necessary wherewithal to be accountable.

~OT~ One liner profiles work for a LOT of people. I'm too wordy to pull it off, but that's just me. I set my character restriction in my email settings to avoid the dreaded one-liner emails. It works wonders. Probably a little shocking when someone tries to send a "Wazzup" only to see the white screen of death that reads: Message to short to email this user. Oh I do love options. JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > If your profile is 2 lines don't expect a long first message!