Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > How Can You Tell If A Man Is Hitting On You?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 who_the_fox
Msg: 1
How Can You Tell If A Man Is Hitting On You?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I seem to be completely oblivious when a man is trying to hit on me. My daughter is forever rolling her eyes and telling me I am an idiot for not being able to tell when a man is flirting, but unless he is REALLY straightforward....like "I think you are really pretty" I have absolutely no clue.

So guys, when you are hitting on a woman at the gym or wherever, what kinds of things do you do? Is offering to move a bench for me flirting? How about admiring my full muscle bellies? Getting me to spot your bench and asking about your form?? Please PLEASE, I would really appreciate some tips!
 who_the_fox
Msg: 2
How Can You Tell If A Man Is Hitting On You?
Posted: 7/2/2005 12:59:14 PM
It is more that I just think a guy who talks to me is just talking to me...that he is being nice, not that there is any interest.
 bigsexyteddybear
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2008 12:13:53 PM
Does saying "nice rack" count? lmao...j/k
 whytwater
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:20:40 PM

I seem to be completely oblivious when a man is trying to hit on me. My daughter is forever rolling her eyes and telling me I am an idiot for not being able to tell when a man is flirting, but unless he is REALLY straightforward....like "I think you are really pretty" I have absolutely no clue.

In my humble opinion, everything you just mentioned was a flirting attempt. Have you gotten any messages or IM's on POF yet? All are hits. Your profile is not available, and we have only your mention that you have a sexually aware daughter as an indication of your age. Unless you are Elephant Woman, I suspect that every word, and almost every look, from a man, is a hit.

Now, you may disbelieve this advice, but if you accept all of the foregoing, you will, whenever a man "hits" on you, respond differently, and magically, and each such slight contact with you will in reality become flirting, at the point you receive and return it, even if his "hit" was not originally intended to be so.
 duckling
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:31:33 PM
It's difficult to tell from the generic descriptions you gave, For me, offering to move the bench for you or even commenting on your abs would likely just be polite conversation. When I'm flirting, I'd ask more personal questions or attempt to steer the conversation to you. If I'm interested enough to flirt, I'd want to find out if you're married or dating anybody, and what you like to do. It may be an age thing. I see attractive women every day, but the one's I date have to have compatible interests.
 Blondecharmthe3rd
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:47:32 PM
General rule:

If you smile and are happy, people tend to smile back too. Not necessarily is it flirting.

Instead, if you are interested in someone why don't YOU flirt so you don't have to strain yourself wondering "is he or isn't he".
 MsMicki
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 8:59:52 PM
When they say...."Get in the truck b!tch"!!

Valentino.....I've had that line used on me!!
Then he realized I was barefoot!!
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:21:39 PM
If he moves his lips and sound comes out, it's a 93% chance he's hitting on you.
The other 7% is gay.
 Shadow67733
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/17/2008 10:45:11 PM
LMAO her daughters radar is tweaked to sensitive because ever since high school boys are most likely approaching her all the time and prolly badly. You kinda get the idea after a while, that and teenage boys are def not smooth and socially clueless compared to the girls at that age. My best indicator if someone is hitting on you is eye contact and physical proximity to you. Most people who are polite look at your face when they talk but they don't look into your eyes unless they are hitting on you usually. Also looks for guys to find any excuse to move closer to you and more into your personal zone, look at their posture as well and how they react to you. You are a women so attention to detail normally comes much easier to you then the guys(it took alot of effort for me to be good at reading women and catching everything). Women and men react very similar if they like someone with some notable exceptions although ur only asking about men so thats another topic.
 DLo!
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2008 7:53:52 AM
this is funny.....I don't even know when I'm hitting on girls but they seem to think so.
 windloverr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2008 4:38:56 PM
If you are parked on his foot; and he asks you to move your car...he's not flirting. Otherwise, if he says hello, he's flirting.
and you as a woman do not give any indication of interest,,,
...a reaction I frequently get from women I'm flirting with. Personally, I like that one better than when they run screaming and pulling their hair.
 whytwater
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/18/2008 8:39:27 PM

If he's talking with you...can't he just want to be friends and still be straight?

Probably only if you met him at work, or some similar environment, imo. If you meet on a dating site, on the street, at a party, etc., and without previously having met in a "sideways" way, then he is talking with you with at least an eye on the friends-plus prospects.
 Mrblackromance
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/18/2008 9:32:16 PM
When I was younger I used to try all kinds of clever lines. But the method that works the best for me is being direct and truthful.

If I am at the store and a lady catches my eye I will walk up to her and let her know what it is about her that caught my attention. I will usually preface it by saying I don't mean to be rude however I just couldn't let this moment go by without telling you that you have incredible eyes or something to that effect. If she seems flattered I will go further and ask if she has some free time I would love to get to know her better over ice cream or Starbucks or whatever is really close by. It works more often than you would imagine. Sometimes just meeting someone and sometimes it turns out to be so much more.
 gtomustang
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:22:15 AM
He's flirting when he's trying to get your attention. Usually b/c you got his first.

Of course, not all flirting is an attempt to get a date. You may have an outgoing personality, and attract others with the same...and what the two of you engage in will be....flirting behavior.

Flirting is just showing someone they deserve more attention from you, than you give to the average person.
 setuid
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2008 5:26:38 PM
"I don't even know when I'm hitting on girls but they seem to think so."

This is a common problem, actually. Any time a man talks to a woman he's never spoken to before, she goes into "He's hitting on me" mode.

I tried to ask a woman on the train the other day what book she was reading because I was genuinely interested, and she just held out her limp-wristed hand to show me that she had an engagement ring on.

I said "Nice ring, but what book is that you're reading? Are you saying I can't ask what book you're reading because you're going to be married soon?"

Another time in Penn Station, I saw a woman massacring some good sushi because she didn't know how to use chopsticks. I walked over and said "Has anyone ever shown you how to use chopsticks before?" and she said "Wow, I've never been approached with a line like THAT before!"

So I said "Believe me, I'm not hitting on you, but you're destroying some perfectly good sushi with your current technique."

I'm a pretty open and social person, but why is it that every time a man talks to a woman, she thinks she's being hit on? Seriously ladies, don't pat yourselves on the back so fast. We're not all trying to score your phone number, get a date or hit on you. Sometimes we're just being human and talking.
 Cynderella
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:57:38 PM
I am the one running as soon as one gets to close...

So...NO CLUE!!!
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:00:31 PM
some women have difficulty knowing the difference between a compliment and a hit. compliments are general. hits are specific.

compliment - you're got pretty eyes.

hit - you have sexy eyes.

get it?????
 whytwater
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/20/2009 2:12:30 PM
I gave my neighbor's friend some left over cookies and now I can't talk to him without him asking me out.

Maybe he just likes your cookies. Carry some with you, and whenever he inhales in your vicinity, give him some. You can escape, if necessary, while he scarfs the treats. Lol.

involuntary body language signs when you meet someone that tell you if they are interested. One being a quick eyebrow raise. You have to really watch for it though, it can't be controlled and happens fast.

If you're gonna zoom in and put your face in mine to watch for "signs", I'm sure you will get a quizzically raised brow. Lol.
The idea that you ladies can make our bodies do things "involuntarily" intrigues me, more than a little. I've thought for quite a while that you all do have some witchy powers.
OP, not sure this helps, but I read once that if a man, in a social setting, is speaking loudly for more than 10 seconds, there's a woman close by that he's trying to impress. Buuuutttt, I give my dog longer bursts than that, and always put ample diaphragm behind my words, whether there are other humans within earshot or not.
 setuid
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 7:22:48 AM

If a guy you don't know comes up and talks to you, he is interested! Why else would a man, out of the blue, strike up a conversation with a woman?

Or not.

I've walked up to complete strangers and striked up a conversation, knowing full well I was NOT interested in them at all, or attracted to them in any way.

That's a pretty common, arrogant myth that is floating around. Sometimes we just want someone to talk to, or want to share an experience, or find out something about the local area. Just because you're the one we talked to, doesn't mean we want your phone number or are interested in you.

Men don't usually just want to make conversation about the book I'm reading or how I'm eating my food (most really don't give a shyt about stuff like that).

You need to find real men. We're out there, and we don't always want to get into your pants. Maybe we ARE interested in the book, or what you think about the book.

Most that do come up to me, do eventually indicate verbally (and via the eyes grazing over my body) that they are interested and can they take me to lunch, dinner, have my number, help in the yard...they are very clear as to their interest.

Must be nice, but please don't classify the entire gender as being a part of that flawed minority. :)
 Rick0691
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/26/2009 1:08:28 PM
If he starts a conversation with you or sends you a drink , he is interested. It is definitly men who have a hard time with a girl who is flirting or just being friendly.
 anniecat13
Msg: 21
new here
Posted: 4/26/2009 7:50:32 PM
hi why do guy keep playing dumd
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > How Can You Tell If A Man Is Hitting On You?