Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My boyfriend always needs to diss me      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cfb62
Msg: 3
view profile
History
My boyfriend always needs to diss mePage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Move on.
Get a boyfriend who treats you right.
Geez!
 OutMind
Msg: 6
My boyfriend always needs to diss me
Posted: 5/25/2009 10:46:51 AM
Try using a different brand of dishwashing detergent.

You definitely do not want relationship suds.
 tbuddha
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2009 10:52:13 AM
hmmm....seems to be working. You can't stop thinking about him. Guys, take note.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 11:04:38 AM
Would you be friends with this guy if you weren't doing him? People that do this have low esteem and make themselves feel better by making others feel poorly. Two months in and read what you wrote, you cannot possibly ever please him because he will find a new thing to harp on when you "correct" the last thing he was harping on.

Unless you actually like this on some level, find a new boyfriend, you are too old to put up with this crap from anybody (not a dis btw, I am older, lol).
 blonde chickie
Msg: 14
Exactly...
Posted: 5/25/2009 11:32:08 AM
I had no idea the OP was 41, I thought this thread was coming from a younger girl, like 19.

You just need to leave him or maybe u just like him dissing you.
 CMonster
Msg: 15
Exactly...
Posted: 5/25/2009 11:33:13 AM

I need to start a thread of my own asking what is this thing that compels people to stay in relationship that don't involve children or wedding vows if they are not happy...

Some people feel that's it's better to be in a unhealthy relationship than to not be in a relationship at all. Sometimes they feel that at a certain age, society will believe that something is wrong with them if they aren't in a relationship.
 star*tossed
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:07:50 PM

I started doing the same with him.

I don't know what else to do,

Never lower yourself to someone else's depth.

Dump him.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:39:20 PM

Because he keeps dissing me, I started doing the same with him.

When you fight with a pig you both get dirty - but the pig likes it.
 readyornot57
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:43:53 PM
My daughter has a boyfriend like yours, OP.
She is twenty.
And getting very close to having enough of it.
Which makes me very happy!
 stone-1
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:57:28 PM

Because he keeps dissing me, I started doing the same with him.

When you fight with a pig you both get dirty - but the pig likes it.

I wish I said that...

Stop doing what he is "dissing" you about. Thereby giving him nothing to "diss" you about.

That's not possible because he disses me about things that are not even true

I think he was being facetious...

There's really nothing to add to what's been said here, except this:
There are worse things than being alone... Don't believe me? Stay with this wonderful man, marry him...
 Zerenity
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/25/2009 1:12:13 PM
If you have to ask for suggestions, then you know it is time to move on. You told him you did not like it, and he continued, he don't care about you.

Breakup, cry for a day, have a one night stand and move on.
 chameleonf
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/25/2009 1:27:35 PM

...you're 41 and asking this? Really?

Yikes! Sorry, but I have to agree with the above. I didn't view the profile first and was picturing someone who was incredibly young. Condescending behaviour is being experienced which isn't being taken as a "joke" after stating it's hurtful and yet it continues. It's the same thing as banging your head against a wall...it feels great when you stop. Stop allowing it by staying with the person with the bad behaviour. If you get this from a new relationship, just how do you figure it's going to be even more wonderful as it goes on, assuming this is the guy's new relationship best behaviour stage.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/25/2009 2:16:45 PM
You are 41!!!! You are a middle-aged adult! And you still put up with, and now participating in, this passive/aggressive behavior?? Get the hell out of the relationship. If you think it will end, you are kidding yourself. It will only get worse.
 daynadaze
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 2:23:22 PM
You've only dated him a few months, heck he's not ever really a boyfriend, you hardly know him, but now you do know that he's disrespectful and he gets his ego from beating you down, so he's insecure and rude. Why do you want him? How hard up are you to have a 'boyfriend' that you keep seeing this idiot? What kind of self-respect do you lack that you would date him at all? Don't blame him for being a jerk, do something about yourself for being lonely enough to date a jerk.

My suggestion, pick up your dignity off the floor and cut off all contact with this guy, then work on your self-esteem so that when you are ready to date again, you don't attract nor are you attracted to asswipes. If you continue to see him or other men like him, then know that you enjoy drama and bad relationships and stop whining about being a willing participant in them.
 barbee1970
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/25/2009 2:50:51 PM
Put him to the curb and find someone who respects you. I wouldn't stand for that.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/25/2009 2:55:48 PM
"Because he keeps dissing me, I started doing the same with him. "

One other thing you want to be aware of is that you risk getting into the "dissing" habit. Do you want to take this into another relationship and hurt someone with your attitude?
 RazzleRoadRunner
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/25/2009 4:39:28 PM
Men diss women for several reasons:

1. He is jealous of your abilities and dissing will hopefully lower your self-esteem, so he can more easily control you.
2. By dissing you, it makes him feel better about himself.
3. By dissing you, he wants you to change in some way.........actions, thoughts, etc.

Either way, it sounds like a pretty TOXIC relatonship to me and if someone tries to change you, then look elsewhere because your not with the right person anyway.
It is best to
 Gideon_70
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/25/2009 5:27:07 PM
What does "dissing me" mean?
 theforumfiend
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/25/2009 9:04:09 PM
From the Urban Dictionary:

1. diss - a shortened version of "disrespect"
Why you be dissin' me?

2. Diss - Verb. Slang word that came from, and therefore shares the same definition as "to disrepect".

To lack respect.
Stop dissin' me or I'll kick your ass!
dissing dissin disrespecting insulting mocking

3. Diss - A form of disrespecting someone, their homies, or thier mama.
Don't diss on me, cause you aint me.
 michael feir
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/26/2009 8:15:04 AM
Sounds like you should find a new boyfriend. If there's no respect for you, then there's nothing substantial and lasting between you. It'll only get worse as he realises he can get away with it.
 Gideon_70
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:39:58 PM
Well, I had some punk say "You dissin' me?" and I assumed he meant disrespecting. I think I replied, "Shall I submit my remarks before I make them to see if you approve?" He didn't understand that. So I clarified. I said, "I have zero respect for you - you haven't earned it, and will only offer you the simple casual courtesy I offer anyone." He understood that... I think. He did turn a little red.
 star*tossed
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/29/2009 6:30:37 PM
Here's my thought. You go to Wal_Mart. Buy one of those clever rubber hammer things the men have back in the "Tools" section. Carry that baby in your purse. Next time he disses you - pull out the rubber hammer and hit him. Solid. Like right on his nose. The bridge of it. Just BUMP! With that cute little rubber hammer. Don't SAY anything. Then put it back in your purse and go on as tho nothing happened. Each time he "diss"'s you - pull it out - hit him again. Eventually he'll get the message that what he's doing may not meet with your approval.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/7/2009 1:21:53 PM
what the heck do you mean what else can you do? lol; how about break up with him?

He doesn't respect you so now you deal with it by doing the same. There isn't a law that says you have to stay together.

It's amazing how poorly women get treated but they still stay with the guy no matter what; it's a fact with some women that you can treat them bad, and they will never leave. Then when they get burned "all men are dogs!". No just the ones you and others pick are.

if a woman treats me with disrespect, I would give her an ultimatum and if it happens again, I move on. A relationship without respect is nothing but casual sex and EXTREMELY dysfunctional in my mind. good luck.
 want to travel
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:59:38 AM
your 41, very immature , you need to get over the bad boy phase
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2009 12:05:34 PM
I've got 2 words = DUMP HIM!
Now, question why you let someone treat you that way. You think you're going to win in the 'dissing' game?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My boyfriend always needs to diss me