Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What frugal things do you do to save money?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TooShadows
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What frugal things do you do to save money? Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I had a pretty tough winter. No work for me or my wife,and only me collecting EI,which just wasn't enough. How to save money? Stay home,don't go anywhere. I live in the country and have a ten mile round trip just to get my mail,so I had to limit my trips to one a week. This may sound funny,but if you have a bit of extra money for groceries,buy in bulk. You'll save over the long run.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What frugal things do you do to save money?
Posted: 5/26/2009 3:14:51 PM
Make a list of what you have to do so that you make one trip instead of several. Buy a membership to one of the discount stores and buy in bulk where necessary. Cut down on your meat portions and use more rice or pasta with your meals but do not cut out the veggies. Buy fresh whenever possible and avoid those prepackaged items (they are not healthy for you anyways). Rent movies instead of going out to the movies. Invite others over for games instead of going out. Thrift store shop and clearance racks can get you farther and still keep you clothed in some nice clothes. I just purchased a lot of nice baby clothes for my granddaughter at a mansion in town this weekend (garage sale) and paid very little for them. They look new.
 *Sanscheyle*
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/26/2009 3:25:09 PM
I know this is terribly cheap of me but I'll buy a 24 pack of bottled water and recycle the bottles with my Brita purifier....but..ummm..(cough) my friends no longer come over and ask if I have any bottled water.

And yes, I do rinse my bottles in warm water before re-filling them..

Sans
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 5:36:15 PM
Learn that there is a difference between what you want and what you need.

I want a boat, an ocean-going "cabin cruiser" with twin diesels.
I don't need a boat, so I don't "need" a big SUV to pull one.
I want a new suit.
I don't need a new suit, the old one just needs to be dry-cleaned and pressed.
I want new shoes.
I can wear the old ones a little longer, I don't neednew ones yet.

To reuse plastic drinking bottles:

To a clean gallon jug of tap water add 1/4 tsp of laundry bleach.
Bleach kills bacteria; while it is a caustic, it is not toxic to humans or most non-aquatic pets.

Fill the empty drinking bottles you want to reuse with soapy water, empty and rinse with clean tap water; you can make better use of the soapy water by filling an empty bottle with soapy water from the one you cleaned previously. (To be effective with killing bacteria the rinse water should be at least 140 F, some plastic bottles won't take the temperature. Not to worry, bleach is even more effective at killing bacteria than hot water...)

Fill a drinking bottle with the bleach water, empty it into the next clean drinking bottle, repeat until all the drinking bottles have been washed with soapy water and rinsed with tap water and then rinsed with bleach water. The bacteria that weren't killed by the soapy water have been killed by the bleach.

To review:
Wash with soapy water (kills most bacteria)
Rinse with tap water (to remove the soap)
Rinse with bleach water (kills remaining bacteria)

Fill the drinking bottles (you sterilized the lids, right?) with purified water.

If you aren't sure of the purity of your water source, you can add 1 tsp of laundry bleach to 5 gallons of clear water to make it safe to drink.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 9:48:58 PM
I replaced all my incandescent bulbs with spiral "bulbs" 5 years ago, and noticed a drop in electric use. I also haven't replaced a "bulb" in 5 years.
Just as bright, use less electricity, last 10 times longer.

You actually can heat a place with incandescent bulbs, if it's tight and well insulated. A 100 watt bulb is, after all, a 100 watt heater, and that's over 300 btu.

Put one under the oil pan of the car overnight in the winter to help it start in the morning, it makes a difference.
 Got Trance
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:01:04 PM
Unplug all "wallwarts" in the house. Those are the little transformers you use to charge your cell phone and other items. They use electricity even if the phone or other item is not plugged into it. I also have my tv, dvd player and satellite tuner plugged into a surge protector. All those items also use electricity even when turned off. The surge protector has an on/off switch on it. I turn it off when I am not home or not watching the tv. I have the same setup for my computer. In fact, when I am not at home and when I am asleep the only thing in my house that runs is the refrigerator.
Try this. Turn on the tv and the computer, then go outside and look at the electric meter. Then tell someone to turn off the tv. Watch how that meter slows down. Then turn off the computer. Turns even slower now. But it is still turning. Now unplug all those small appliances and wallwarts and watch that meter almost stop turning. Just about anything plugged into the wall is using electricity.
When you actually watch that meter slow down when unplugging things you will have a better understanding has to why your electric bill is so high even though you are not using the A/C or heater.
 FL CO
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:34:57 PM

This may sound funny,but if you have a bit of extra money for groceries,buy in bulk. You'll save over the long run

That or since you said you live in the country, just grow a garden and eat some wild game. I'm looking at some property now, that I plan to have a small garden on, with citrus trees, and hopefully get a few critters to wonder into the yard. Where's its at though I'll doubt I'll see any deer, and know I won't see any hogs.
 barbee1970
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:39:55 PM
I save aluminum cans, take to scrap yard, shop Dollar Tree (Everything's $1), unfortunately eat left overs, don't drive anymore than I have to. I try to squeeze everything into one trip.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 22
Stop buying crap.
Posted: 5/27/2009 12:05:27 AM
We have a cool thing in my town. It's called a library.
I think my membership cost $10. I usually walk there.
So far this year, my consumption of books and films has cost me about 27 cents each.
Including a couple of late fees.
 michaeld70
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 1:14:56 AM

cfl lightbulbs isn't any cheaper, because they throw off less heat, causing you to in turn turn up your thermostat?

I found that when I got my new computer and got rid of the old room sized one that I actually had to go out and buy a furnace. Dam new technology...crap...old days...

I havent really been much of a pop drinker in 10 years or so. Now when I drink I get hicups
replaced 95% of bulbs with CFLs when they came out.
LEDs r out, but at $15 each or so, thats not gonna happen anytime soon.
agree with toilet paper, splurge when its on sale lol.
dont do dollar store, many inferior products and some can be bought cheaper elsewhere.
shop sales in fliers, may go to 3 different stores, but...
got rid of debts years ago so now only pay monthly bills, no interest, less stress....
 cookie22222
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 7:36:55 AM
No cable at my house - and no cell phone either. I watch the grocery store ad, buy what I use when it's on sale, and use coupons. Turn off lights, etc, and keep things unplugged for the most part, unless I'm using them. Buy food items that can stretch (e.g. a whole chicken is dinner one night, a chicken casserole the next, chicken salad for lunch, and finally a pot of chicken soup).
 FL CO
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:18:46 AM

I found a place where all of my utilities, cable and internet are included for $40 a month. Yes that can be done. Negotiate people

That means you're renting though. Renting is ok when you're younger and just starting out, but I don't want to still have a large monthly expense like rent when I'm 50-60+ years old and wanting to retire.
 FL CO
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:47:07 AM

^^^^^^^ ya I see your point on that, but some of us just aren't interested in owning. It is a great investment for down the road, but for now it costs to much with today's economy. It's not just me saying that, I have seen articles on Yahoo that prove it.

I'm in the process of trying to get a 1900sq ft house on 4.5 water front acres. It'll need some work, but the bank just dropped it to $115k. Last appraised value was $200k in 2005, just before/right at the beggining of the market shooting up. Even if it has a value of $160 in todays market, I'm still ahead of the game going in. Unless I get a 2nd mortage on it at some point, it'll be paid off when I'm around 55 (if not before). With the job I have now, I'll be able to retire with a 90% pension at that age.
 kickingfate
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:58:17 AM
I plan my meals..well as much as possible. I bought a small chest freezer so if something i like comes on sale i'll get a few extra, just found out you can freeze butter.

By planning what im going to cook that week i control my spending better and saves me $$.I always go after my Cable,phone and internet providers every year and tell them i am paying to much and can get a better deal else wear..most of the time i get a "good will" cut in my rates..Don't ever accept what your paying is the best deal.

I switched insurance companies for car and property insurance..saved me 40 bucks a month. I basically never go to a movie theatre anymore, I wait for it to come out on dvd and rent it. I was brought up going to a restaurant, or Mcdonalds was a treat..not a staple.I cook at home and almost never buy prepackaged toss in the oven crap anymore..I can cook it myself way cheaper, healthier and far more tasty.

I swapped all my lights over to the new ones(spiral) and my hydro bills went down. I went from using 2 x100 watt incandescent and a 60 watt in the living room in the winter , for a grand total of 260 watts of hydro sucking light..to a measly..ready for this..34 watts and i have the same amount of light.

I wear long comfy track pants and a sweater around in the winter and although i have electric baseboard heating in my apt my hydro bills in the winter for everything...heating, cooking,tv, computer ,lights..all of it..never see past 90 bucks a month and no one comes to my place saying its cold either.

walk , don't drive when you can. If i had the choice i would dump my car to the curb and never own one..there money sucking black pits where money disappears anyways.

i live in a 2 bedroom apt and not a house...but seriously ...for a single guy on his own...how much space do i need. I have everything including a nice office(the second bedroom) in an adult building , Top floor corner unit of a 3 story walkup ...laundry on second floor all for 700 bucks a month.

My most important lesson i was ever taught in life by my grandmother..

Don't live within your means, strive to live below them. You make 50,000 year,live on a 40,000 year budget. surprising how much you can actually squirrel away using this thinking.
 FL CO
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:01:53 AM

Come live in Seattle where you would literally pay 5-6 times more than that.

I have a buddy who makes over 75K and he struggles to be able to get into a house here unless he wants a 30-40 mile commute, which = about 1-2 hours each way. No thanks.

Cost of living does play a factor, but so does median income. I'll admit that this is a pretty good deal (foreclosure). Its also only 15minutes from my job and another 15 to get into downtown of the closest "major" city.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:09:50 AM
Lessee....

paid cash for the truck, paid off Prius (used for over 90 percent of driving) early, and drive the prius using fuel efficient techniques while combining trips.

Heat with wood that I cut on the property. That's what the truck is for, mostly.

All CFL's in all fixtures.

Freezer full of deer meat, garden, plus harvesting local wild plants like ramps, wild onion, wild garlic, morrel mushrooms.

As appliances have worn out, replaced with the most energy efficient options available. This has more than halved my electric bill.

Pay extra on the mortgage principle every month. I hate interest!

No TV, netflix for movies, my only splurge is satellite internet, the only option out here other than 15k dialup.

Turn off hot water heater when I travel.

Buy reading glasses at Dollar Store (the only thing I'll buy there). Do my own vehicle maintenance whenever possible. Make my own lumber from trees that die on the property for projects like a new deck, etc...

Shop at the ReStore, a Habitat for Humanity source of low cost home improvement supplies.

And just generally think twice before making any expenditure, and buy things that will last when I do spend. My wardrobe is pretty minimal, but my tool collection is extensive!

Dave
 aleon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 10:08:39 AM
I used to take all the one dollar bills out of my wallet at the end of the day. When the stack got to fifty, I'd roll it up and secure it with a rubber band, then put it in a cigar box. When the box was full, it had 450 dollars in it. Seemed a great idea until one of my cop buddies heard about it and warned me that if for any REASON a cop were to search my home and find it, he would likely assume it was drug money and due to the RICO statutes, he would confiscate it, leaving me holding the bag and being suspected of illicit deeds.
 evrybdy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 11:09:48 AM
aleon, I was just about to mention something like that, but that sux they would suspect you for trying to save your own money!

I got an one of those 1.00 bottles for water at Target and started the "shower" fund. Every shower I took 1.00 or all the change I had would go in the bottle to pay for my shower. Since I showered every day, I got to 100 dollars pretty quickly and that paid for a lot of xmas things last year.

I love to be out and about, so it does get to being costly. Here are some things I do to make it last -

Eating out - 1.00 menu items, or look into coupons and specials in the mail, some have e-clubs to join and you get a free meal. I got one coming today that I am going to enjoy. Build your day around your very cheap or free meal. I don't have a car so I walk it or bus it. It seriously is not going to kill you to walk to the place if it's nearby.

Movies - Someone mentioned matinees and I do those all the time. You can also try early bird, which is the first showing of the day, you get to see the movie for about 5.00. I just saw "Angels and Demons" at this price.

Museums - Many offer free admission on the first whatever day of the month. Look into your area's tourism bureau site and learn more about what options or even specials or coupons might be available. Visit a hotel in your area and go right for the brochures. I did this all the time in Seattle and it served me well.

Clothes - I might have to disagree with the second-hand when it comes to clothes. At least in Seattle prices at a Value Village were the same or higher for a shirt I could get at Ross brand new. So, find the stores that you like and watch their sales. For those who say Ross would wear out fast, I am still wearing many shirts I got there 3 years ago. If you knew me, you would know that's ancient clothing! LOL

The Sunday paper and some women's magazines - a virtual treasure trove of free, cheap or interesting ideas and ways to save money and have fun!

I guess my list was more of how to have fun cheaply! LOL Hope it helped!

Oh, and I use a pay as you go phone. No more phone bills for me!

M
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 6:52:58 PM
- Get into the habit of comparison shopping for groceries and other things. Most stores post their flyers and ads online now so it's easy to do even if you can't afford a newspaper subscription.

- Avoid shopping at convenience stores like 7-Eleven where everything is overpriced. I am surprised by how many people shop there when less expensive alternatives are just across the street.

- Use coupons and maximize their value by buying items on sale during double/triple coupon days. You can get stuff for free or nearly free by doing that. A lot of coupons can be found online, newspapers, etc.

- Read the bargain hunter websites like fatwallet.com and slickdeals.net. People often post incredible deals on all kinds of stuff. There's no excuse for paying retail.

- Find used stuff on Craigslist. It's possible to get stuff for free because people just want to get rid of stuff. There's a section just for free stuff but you gotta be quick. Lots of cheap people out there.
 Padawan61
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:43:34 AM
Avoid shopping at convenience stores like 7-Eleven where everything is overpriced. I am surprised by how many people shop there when less expensive alternatives are just across the street

Why spend actual money and shop at all?? I just go "across the street" to the local foodbanks/homeless shelters/soup kitchens and plea poverty. That way, I can freeload on the charity of others. It's not hard to do in this economic reality. The money saved could be put towards more important things ... like Internet service.
 Got Trance
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:05:54 AM
Using Craigslist and e-bay are just two ways to save money using the internet. The 'net is a great way to compare prices without having to leave the house. Several years ago I was shopping for a tv. I found it online for a little more than $200 less than I could buy locally, and it was free shipping. I am always looking in the free section of Craigslist. People give away so much good stuff.
E-bay is another great source of getting items for a lower price than I can find locally, including shipping.
I use Cricket for my cell phone provider. But I do not use their phones. I bought 2 Sprint PPC 6700's from e-bay (only $99. each) that are flashed to use the cricket network. I can use all the services, send/receive pics and videos, text and use the internet all for about $52.00 a month. Try that with the big name providers for that price.

Randy
 raxarsr
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:14:08 AM
fortunately....in my area....theres are 2 or 3 "salvage" stores............very cheap food..........i can livve for a month on $100........or less.
another way is to lower your heat to 60........or less...............i havnt had heat in my bedroom since i lived here......................you can buy a couple of comforters for less than heat costs............and you can keep useing them...................think about it....when its 60 in the spring or fall........your comfortable..........

keep lights off as much as possible............use energy efficient bulbs
cook larger quanties and freeze leftovers
 Got Trance
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/29/2009 12:00:10 PM
My job requires me to use my own car. Therefor, I use a lot of gas. One thing I do to save at the pump (literally) is I put one hundred dollars or more on a Walmart gift card. I use that only for gas at the pumps at Walmart. Saves 3 cents a gallon.

Edward
 michaeld70
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 2:52:23 PM
I found a few funny ones today looking around.

"My uncle was so cheap [that] before [he went] to bed he removed the battery of his watch and put it back in the morning to save the life of the battery."

"My father-in-law recently came to live with us. He will squeeze two dimes together to get a quarter, but this was a bit too much. When he moved in he told us that he sleeps on one side of the bed one week and the other side of the bed the next week just so he is not washing a clean side of the sheets and wasting money."

"I caught my boss running out into the rain to wipe down his Audi in the rain. He admitted he was doing it to save the price of a car wash."

"I used to have friends who were so cheap that after you finished having salad at their house, they would funnel the leftover salad dressing in the bottom of everyone's salad bowl back into the bottle to be used again. Gross, needless to say. I brought my own salad dressing after that and just told them I like mine better."

"My dad's uncle is so cheap, he uses a teabag and then dries it and uses it again."

"One day, three of us at work went to lunch at a pizza joint. We were in line ordering. The first co-worker in line ordered, paid and went to sit down. Next was my cheap friend. He presented a buy-one-get-one-free coupon. He said, 'My friend that just ordered is with me, so I guess I'm the free one.' He never offered to go half with the other co-worker."
 Got Trance
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/30/2009 7:44:33 AM
When I find articles online that I want to print, I set the printer program to print what would take two sheets of paper onto one sheet. I also set it up to print on both sides of the paper. What would normally take four sheets of paper is now on one. Saves a ton of paper and ink.

Albert
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What frugal things do you do to save money?