Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Hijabs, Burqas and Niqabs - is it fashion or religion?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Got Trance
Msg: 2
Hijabs, Burqas and Niqabs - is it fashion or religion?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Keep that crap out of America
 AwP
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Hijabs, Burqas and Niqabs - is it fashion or religion?
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:43:13 PM

Keep that crap out of America

So in other words you oppose freedom of religion, one of the things the U.S. was founded on? How unpatriotic and unamerican of you. You realize that not all muslims are the crazy extremist fanatics, right?
 seenitall
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:47:15 AM
Consider the source. Islam. A barbaric cult fabricated by a 6th century pedophile and murderer.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:01:21 AM
It's probably both.

It seems to me that it has developed as an understanding of the Koran, and so, it might be considered religious, but also has cultural connotations, based on how we see the ideas of modesty.

I imagine some wear it purely for religious reasons. Some wear it for culturals reasons. With so many wearing it, some may even just wear it for fashion.

That doesn't make it less worth wearing.
 bodybuilder83fl
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/27/2009 6:48:41 PM
I think its just silly that people with that mindset want to live in america. Im originally from pakistan and if i felt that way and i was that backgrounds i would have just stayed home.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/9/2009 6:38:49 PM
Consider the source. Islam. A barbaric cult fabricated by a 6th century pedophile and murderer.

who told you this?

you didnt read it anywhere because if you did, you would have stated your site or book...

If your gonna talk smack...back it up...

....................................................................................................................

America there are women that wear dresses to the shoe and blouses to the neck and sleves to the hands...just there head exposed because of there faith, whats the difference...

LLDS, Pentacost

EvilLolli
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 9:02:45 PM
Isn't it up to the individual how they dress and what the way they dress means to them? Honestly, it may be cultural, religious, or symbolic.

You are also forgetting that most religious followers of any faith have a madonna/whore complex. There are women that are attractive as wife/mother figures and those that are attractive for a "good ol' time". To some it may be a way to adhere to their faith, others a way to honor thier culture/heritage, and still more that it is how they grew up and what they feel most comfortable in.

It's no different than the habits of nuns(which range from classic to modern), the Amish attire, the collar of the clergy, or the robes of a monk of any religion. It's a way to express themselves and their beliefs.

As for wearing the cross as a symbol, it(and variations of its likeness) has been used, perverted and corrupted by many religions and factions that perhaps it should just be a fashion symbol. It has been a symbol of faith(Christianity), fanaticism(the swatika), torture(the Romans), and perversion of the Christian faith(upside down Satanic symbol). At least the traditional clothing of many religions haven't been perverted or corrupted as much. Fashion symbols cause far less harm(peace sign, male & female symbols, fertility horns, etc.) than religious ones.

It's really all so superficial in the end. A saint could be stark naked and true to his religious beliefs, and a sinner could cloak his wrong doings by donning the robes of holy office.
 LunaSlave
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 9:28:19 PM
the Hijab is actually something inherited from Christian Byzantium. When the Islamic faith first spread, one of the key factors of it was a reaction against the local tribal conflicts that plagued the Arabian peninsula...

Adopting certain cultural aspects of a civilization considered to be far more progressive and enlightened was a natural part of this...and that's where the traditional "Islamic" head covering comes from - eastern Christianity.

as for the Burqa, that's something different entirely, it comes from Pashtun tribal culture in Afghanistan and is not Islamic in origin, however some fundamentalist Islam has embraced it because it's seen to be in compliance with Purdah - a HINDI word meaning the segregation of the sexes - which Islamic scholars have agreed with over the ages, note that again, Eastern Christianity, a huge influence on Islam, emphasized this principle as well.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/10/2009 5:56:39 AM

You are also forgetting that most religious followers of any faith have a madonna/whore complex.

lolli...I think it may be the ancient and still prevelent idea of woman being either...Virgin, Wife, or Whore...
 slybandit
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/12/2009 12:29:08 PM
Well, I was going to write something but LunaSlave beat me to it.

It's straightforwardly accurate that Islam inherited the Hijab from Byzantium, and that the Burqa has it's origins in Pashtun custom. Something similar can be said about nearly every aspect of "Islamic" religion or culture in its various manifestations around the planet.

But obviously, both are fashion and religion.

There's no hermetic (word chosen with intentional irony) separation between fashion and religion, or religion and broader aspects of culture generally, they're inter-related and heavily influence one another.

Nor is there a hermetic separation between various religions, despite various desperate claims to the contrary. If you're a Muslim, you think the Qu'ran is a 'purified' version of what appears garbled in various Christian and Jewish religious texts. If you're a Christian or Jew and have done a significant study of Islam, you likely think that the Qu'ran is a plagiarized mish-mash of a wide variety of different Christian and Jewish religious texts, re-arranged in a different order and presentation. And that's just 3 Abrahamic religions taken as a limited example.

In fact, even an atheist is an atheist of a particular culture or cultures, with a mindset that reflects the influence of a particular religion or set of religions.
 thrums
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Hijabs, Burqas and Niqabs - is it right in the western world
Posted: 7/10/2009 12:51:54 PM

We ban Motorcycle helmets from areas of payment in our shops and i am sure if i dressed in black entered my bank with a balaclava hiding my face i would meet some resistance and rightly so.]/quote]

Yes! because they think you are going to rob them while trying to hide your identity from the security cameras. The ban on motorcycle helmets is purely for security reasons and has nothing to do with this thread.

The way we are,our laws ,our way of life,what the majority find normal is not respected by wearers of head scarf's,balaclavas or hoodies .

During the 40's and 50's the majority of women in the UK wore head scarfs(including my mother) watch any movies depicting that era! Balaclavas are very useful items of clothing especially in winter in norther Scotland(I believe they were very popular with Scott's expedition in Antarctica!!!). I believe the anorak brigade(train spotters) of the 60's were the originators of the 'hoodie'.

They should be banned on the basis that they are not sociably acceptable in the western world and wearers give the impression of an unwillingness to communicate to the society they live in.
The majority decide the Goverment/Law so if the majority dont wear and you want to be part of there society then intergrate with your new neighbours and communicate in the way they do and we will all get on just fine.

Define 'sociably acceptable'? Here in Georgia(USA) you are only required to have a license plate displayed on the rear of the vehicle so may people display something else on the front. I have seen many Union Flags, Welsh Dragons, Scottish Saltires(white X-shaped cross on blue background) and Lion Rampant's where the front license plate would be. Why is that any different to an item of national costume(here Highland Games are very popular with many people wearing kilts who have never been to Scotland and who's ancestors left there several generations ago)
Cinco de Meyo(not sure of the spelling) is a very popular holiday/celebration here(Mexican origin) as is St. Patrick's day(Irish).
People can integrate into a society without completely giving up their cultural heritage.

Respect our culture and we will respect yours.

What is YOUR culture, is that of the Anglos, Saxons, Normans or Vikings not forgetting all the other citizens of the former empire who choose to make the UK home. Integration means adding your culture to what is already there and creating something a little different not throwing it away completely and adopting something new.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Hijabs, Burqas and Niqabs - is it fashion or religion?