Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Its Football Season      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Its Football SeasonPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I came here to get the skuttle butt about the Riders....and no one has brought it up.

Has Rider Pride gone on vacation?

Are people getting discouraged about supporting a team that is getting bad plubicity?
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 2
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/4/2009 8:24:36 PM

I came here to get the skuttle butt about the Riders....and no one has brought it up.

The Saskatchewan forums are pretty much on life support right now.

There are a lot of changes on the team. Until we get some more reports out of training camp, the pulse of the team isn't really known at this time. There was a lot of excitement about Clermont coming in, but with losing half our linebackers coupled with losing our defensive genius... well, there's a lot of people holding their breath right now. Not that there's anything wrong with Etcheverry... he did pretty good when he was here the last time. But he was working with Richie then too. I'll be interested to see what Denetay Heard does this year. I remember hearing his name mentioned all through training camp and the pre-season and then he never made the team. I think he may be the reason they let Jones go in pursuit of another backup qb.

The key this year is going to be maintaining a solid offensive line to protect whichever qb starts so that they can get the ball to all of their weapons. I mean we've got what... Clermont and Fantuz in the middle with Dressler as a deep threat? I'm sure he'll be even more explosive this year than he was last. He was only supposed to be a back-up last year and probably didn't train as hard. Getzlaf will likely see more playing time as well. There are a lot of WR's for them to choose from. But again, it's going to take a few reports out of training camp to get an accurate gauge of who's going to replace the likes Flick and Dominguez.

One thing I'm anticipating soon, however, is that Szarka will be gone. Whether he's cut or traded, I don't know. He hasn't seen many touches since 2007. That won't feel too good as he's a pretty well respected player. Much like the Dominguez situation. I wish he'd just hang 'em up and come on as a receivers coach. He's got to realize his health is more important than trying to prolong his playing career. He has so much to offer in a capacity that won't result in him being confined to a wheel chair by age 45.

But we've got Hughes, Foord, and Cates in the backfield. With the way the 2 Regina boys stepped up last year, that'll take a load off of Cates and hopefully will result in him staying healthy for the entire season.

Overall I think there's an equal amount of apprehension as there is anticipation. Nobody really knows what to expect. I get the impression that we're going to have a much better team than most people think, but it's going to be a lot of young inexperienced guys. They're going to rely heavily on the guidance of guys like Davis, Clermont, Makowsky, and O'Day.
 crazyindian69
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:32:28 PM
Saskatchewan Roughriders are in a building mode this year. They dumped the senior talent and lost the GM.
 EhV8R
Msg: 4
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/19/2009 1:12:09 AM
Well, the defence is rebuilding for sure. I know the Edmonton game was pre-season, but our D was just carved into pieces. If the D cannot handle things, the offence is gonna have to score, and often to keep things close.

The first couple of games ought to give us an indication where the season is going to go.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/20/2009 4:15:21 PM
RIDER FANS:
Thats it? No complaining! No recommendations! No big whining !

Head over to the Manitoba Forum and check out the the Blue Bombers....those biggest of whiners are now cheering on their teams big win.....AND THEY ARE RE BUILDING!
We surely should be more invested than them!! LOL!

Serious question though...whats with the Rider players and coachs? Surely the type of things that they have been accused of has been going on in other clubs....so why is so in the forefront with the Saskatchewan football club?

This is not to excuse whats been happening....surely someone in the organization must be able to keep it in their pants...legitimately!
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 6
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/20/2009 9:43:36 PM
Well, one thing that's for sure is that we've got a great receiving core. Perhaps the best non-import receiving core in the league! Can the QB get the ball to them, and can the D keep us in the game like they have the last few years? Those are big questions...

Time will tell, preseason means nothing. I'll be watching carefully. :)
 EhV8R
Msg: 7
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/20/2009 10:45:52 PM
Well, I am starting to wonder about QB. I know it was pre-season, but Durant didn't exactly have a great game, either under or overthrowing receivers. Jyles seemed to have his head on straight and played well in relief. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jyles start against the Stamps this week.

I'm really not worried that much about the offence, it's the defense I am really worried about. Again, pre-season, but still, there has to be some concern. Maybe just guys not knowing their spots right now, who knows........but they will have their hands full against guys like Copeland and Rambo.

Bomber fans can cheer all they want....they will not be a factor at all in the east. I just hope that their coach is wearing a cup when he comes to Regina on Labour Day this year!
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 8
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/20/2009 11:07:21 PM
Don't stress preseason... half of those guys won't make the team. And of the ones that do, many won't see game action except in special teams.

Preseason is all about evaluation. Had they just played starters and won the game, it wouldn't have proved anything.

If they're still playing crappy 4 games into the regular season, that's cause for concern!
 EhV8R
Msg: 9
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:08:44 PM
Yeah, that's the stance I am taking too. If we bomb the first 4 games straight, then we have a problem.
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 10
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/22/2009 8:29:31 PM
The last time the Riders won both their pre-season games, I believe they finished with a 9-9 record. 2007 they had a 1-1 pre-season.

What was the difference? Barrett was giving the starters most the reps where-as the following year Austin was auditioning guys to see who was going to make the team.

I agree... pre-season is your chance to see who's going to make the team. There's no need to push the panic button. They didn't have Durant on with the #1 offence, but Jyles had them for the majority of his reps. They're doing a good job of splitting it up so starters and rookies all get a chance to get game experience with each other.

There is a certain degree of rebuilding going on, but there is still a lot of talent on the team. I don't know that there's much to worry about just yet.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/23/2009 6:04:23 PM
Ok! I love to confidence and votes for "lets not panic" ....thats all good...

But really how much impact is appearing the loss of the miracle worker GM (by the way are charges still pending or has he been proven the perv?)...AND the loss of one of the best defensive (if not the best) defensive coach in the CFL?

Come on Regina people ...there must be some scuttle butt being passed around???
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 12
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/23/2009 7:08:56 PM
When it first happened, I think a lot of people were concerned. However, if I've heard correctly, Tillman is still helping Miller make a lot of the decisions. He hasn't had a trial yet so he's still out and able to collaborate. I think Miller is also getting a lot of help from Alex Smith.

Richie I'm sure will be missed, but I'm sure he'll be back some day. In some ways I'm glad he went somewhere else to have his first head coaching gig. Look what happened to Ron Lancaster. I'd rather we get Richie back when he's a winning head coach than drive him out too early tand watch him win Grey Cup after Grey Cup with someone else when he's in the prime of his head coaching career. He can come back here and win them with us.

Of course there are concerns this year. But there have been ever since Kent Austin left. I think we've got a good team, what we need to see is who's going to take over the leadership role(s). If our leaders step up, I think we'll do all right. The beauty of pre-season is that everyone has a chance to win the Cup right now.
 EhV8R
Msg: 13
Its Football Season
Posted: 6/23/2009 8:36:37 PM
Ah, I think the stuff with Tillman is moot right now. He's not been proven guilty....yet (not saying he is or isn't), but at least he still is working in some capacity with the riders.

Losing Ritchie Hall was both bad and good. Bad as we lost a great defensive coach, but good for his career as he has deserved a shot like this for years. I am also glad it is not with the Riders though. Doesn't mean I think he would have been a bad coach here, but Edmonton presents a good challenge for ritchie as there are many proven players there....it will be interesting to see what he does.
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:29:37 PM
So no one has ANYTHING to say about a very important and decisive win??

Come on Rider fans!! What did you see good ? What did you see bad? What looks promising?

Get your heads out of this whol;e "DATING" and lets talk about something important!!
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 15
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/5/2009 10:40:27 PM

So no one has ANYTHING to say about a very important and decisive win??

Didn't seem very decisive. We're not going to be able to continue to play like that and expect to win games. We're just lucky that B.C. was equally inept.

What did you see good ?

We didn't lose half of our receiving corps in the first half of play.

What did you see bad?

Durant was making some extremely bad reads for a guy who demanded to be starter last year. Belton Johnson went down. Didn't check to see what his status is yet.

What looks promising?

Defence looked better than I think most people expected. Offence actually wasn't that bad except that it reminded me too much of the 90's, in particular drive that went 70 or 80 yards to end in a goal line interception. I was half expecting to see Slack, Mason, or Jones on Durant's jersey.

I did like how Durant got that one ball out of bounds when there was no play to be made. Now he just needs to read defences better so he's not throwing as many picks. I think there's hope for these guys. They're not quite where they need to be, but it's early in the season. Hopefully the story won't be the same mid-season, or playoff time.

I guess overall they did better than most people expected. I think there was a lot of concern that the team wouldn't go anywhere this year. They've at least shown some signs that there's no need to write them off just yet. That said, I don't think B.C. is all the tough of an opponent this season. These past two years are the first time in a long time where Buono hasn't had a star-studded line-up of qb's in his arsenal. He isn't quite the same coach when he's only got mediocre passers. Pierce is good, but he's nowhere near the talent****nson, Garcia, or Flutie ever were.
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 16
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:11:36 PM
The Bad:

Durant looked terrible. 3 picks and a fumble? *wince* I'm not going to say much more about him until week 3. But if things don't improve, we're done for.

BC are the weak sisters of the west. If we played montreal, calgary, edmonton, or even toronto (who look much better this year) we'd have had our helmets handed to us.

I actually think BC should have beaten us, had the receiver caught that ball with 2 minutes left, they would have.

The Good:

I don't know if this qualifies... Our defensive front looked really strong. Is that an indication that they are really strong, or just that BC's O line has to get together after the loss of some of their starters (murphy) from last year? Time will tell, but at least it was positive.

Also, Dressler and Fantuz looked good. We'll need them to be (if Durant can get the ball within catching distance)...

Promising:

In true rider fashion, the most promising things to happen to our team are due to opposing team's injuries. With Lumsden and Geroy Simon both out, we could end up second in the west - provided Durant pulls himself together.
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 17
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/7/2009 2:53:37 PM
ian smart also went down... that injury looks bad for BC.
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 18
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/9/2009 9:36:11 PM
Geez... with the way Edmonton played tonight, I'm wondering if the East is going to be the powerhouse this year where we end up with only 2 West teams in the playoffs. I wish I had seen the whole game to see just how bad they were, but I only caught the fourth quarter. I suppose every team has at least one bad game like that each season. I remember the years when our bad games were against Hamilton and Winnipeg when they were cellar dwellers incapable of winning even a third of their games. 2 of their 4 wins in a season would be against us.

Hopefully the Riders can pull one off on Saturday. I know defence has been pretty solid so far, but I'm kinda surprised they haven't gone after getting Reggie Hunt back yet after he was released. Or Armstrong for that matter. With as crappy as Edmonton receivers appeared to be tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see them snag up Armstrong quickly. But if the Riders have any cap space left to play with, I can't see them not pursuing Hunt before he signs elsewhere. I'm sure BC will be in the thick of that hunt (pardon the pun) as having Aaron there would be a big incentive as well.
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 19
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/9/2009 9:56:51 PM
Armstrong was taking a shot to his knee before games for each of the past two seasons. He's damaged goods, and the attitude doesn't help his case.

Yeah, I agree, Hunt will probably end up in bc. Besides, we need O Line help now, not defensive help...
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/11/2009 5:17:10 PM
T.O. is T.K.O.'d !! Ya dudes! They made the Joseph look like the Bishop!

Wally Boner has a real problem with McAllum out!

What's with Richie and his Igloo defence? ICED!!! Ray is being touted to be replaced by Maas. Not good! Not good at all!

Calgary can't be counted out but its nice to have two steps on them. Maybe they been doin to much two-steppin at the Stampede!

Wee 's play off bound again this year! Hopefully the guys can peek at the right time. I recommend getting a good back up to Durant....I have seen better Saskatchewan "O" lines but so far they have been respectable. Charles is a great relief for Cates! Frazier hurt?? Once again we need some depth in the defensive back field.

Next week will be the real test! Montreal is likely to slap the our green boys back to reality.....BUT being in Regina also see "Cabillero" being slapped back to the reality that old guys like him are not supposed to be playing the game! ha!
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 21
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/12/2009 2:12:30 PM
Yeah... I think the Riders showed what they're made of Saturday. It's nice to see them clicking in all 3 phases of the game. I hope Clermont's injury doesn't keep him sidelined for too long. I'm hoping to be at the game next weekend. Sure would like to see him out on the field.

Durant looks like he did some learning after game 1. That was just a brutal game all around. It's good to see that it was (hopefully) a one time thing. I'm sure we'll have one bad game this season where we get our asses handed to us, but I think I have a little more confidence in the team after watching their performance against the Argos.

The Als will be a tougher test, though. I'm still not 100% what to expect in that game. The Riders seem to do good against the Als at home. But then again, the Als don't have Armstead around anymore to hand the ball over to us in the 4th quarter.

Losing Frazier sucks, but I think the team proved last year that they've got depth. I mean just look at the O-line. Makowsky is out and how much pressure has Durant really been under? We've got a lot of good, well-coached players. Sure the young guys are bound to make mistakes, but they've done a very good job at minimizing them. They're also playing a fairly disciplined game too.

But it's good to see "Frank" back in Calgary. Watching him the last 2 games has reminded me of his time here in Riderville. I remember the one guy sitting beside me at one of the games years ago joking, "We should send Burris to Iraq! He'd have no problems overthrowing Hussein!"
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/19/2009 11:23:28 PM
Ok ! Now back to reality.

What exactly was that ? I am not sure whether half the team didn't get the message that they needed to show up...particularily the offensive half....mind you they were quite offensive , if you know what I mean...what you think?
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/25/2009 9:40:22 AM
Come on back and get on this Band wagon!!

So which team shows up today?

We have one consolation...no matter how bad it could get today....The Riders would have a lonnnggg way to go to have as bad a game as yesterday's Bomber/ Toronto game.

Oh and look out! Calgary's back!!!!
 TEMPT YOUR KHARMA
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Its Football Season
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:53:19 PM
I see after being away for 20 years nothing changes in Saskatchewan....

When the Riders are losing NO ONE WANTS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE LOSSES!

Then suddenly we are the greatest fans in the world when they are winning!! Yes 'em are fighten words!!

Hell ! No one is even going to bring up that Michael Bishop may be starting in Winnipeg!!! Labor Day is right around the corner...you won't want to miss THAT one!!

Come on get your head out of this dating thing...its way too over rated. Lets talk about something really important!
 a_little_nervous
Msg: 25
Its Football Season
Posted: 8/10/2009 7:16:00 PM
Brutal, as we should have expected. It was so bad it reminded me of the Ray Jauch, Jim Daley, and Cal Murphy years... and those were some pretty dark times.

Sign a big name like Clermont, and then have him sit on 60% of the plays. When he is out there, only throw him 3 balls a game. I have to question that.

Also, we're "developing" a quarterback. What happened to all the other quarterbacks we developed over the years? Oh, right, Glen, Crandel, and all the rest are gone now. Where will Durant be in a few years? Traded for someone else and released by the team we traded him to, that's where.

Even Joseph, a decent enough quarterback (who isn't worth the money he's being paid, but is a solid enough guy), is stuck behind a porous O line and a terrible system. Had we stuck with him (and had he accepted a reasonable paycheck for his skills) we'd be competitive right now... Oh, well.

Management has commitment issues, and it's the fans who pay the price. I guess management wants to look like they're trying by playing musical chairs at the most important position year after year... Perhaps we'll actually develop a quarterback this time, and stick with him long term... Perhaps not.

I wonder what Ray Jauch's kid is doing now? Perhaps we should invite him back to play quarterback again?

Interestingly, our 5th string quarterback may be starting next year, this new kid from the states... He's the biggest coup since Honduras.
Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Its Football Season