Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gaddflye
Msg: 1
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
It would be great to get some guidance from the ladies on how a man can put his best foot forward when writing his profile. What do women over 50 look for in a man's profile? What do they not want to see?
 moraima
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?
Posted: 6/4/2009 2:49:26 PM
Not in profile please:

Dead or dying fish

Children especally babies

Fancy dress costumes

Dogs that Paris Hilton would like

No average guy comments

No I look so much younger than my age

No I'm the one your mother warned you about

In profile

Hobbies and interests

What you are looking for

Recent close up picture

Vacations that include international destinations.

.........you asked............this is said tongue in cheek......for the most part.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:06:21 PM
Well, Gaddflye, a photo is always appreciated.
And, if you're referring to your profile, the stuff about wanting a woman in her early 30s when you're 66 is just silly. And stating you don't want Barbie to be larger than a size 8 (and ideally a size 4) is verging on the ridiculous.
Women of any age would like to read something they can identify with, Gaddflye. A long list of physical attributes is not exactly inspiring. Believe it or not, most women do think they have more to offer and are looking for a man who can appreciate they are more than the sum of their body parts.
On a personal note, I appreciate the way you are unfailingly polite, no matter how abhorrent some women find some of your posts..lol..This is definitely a positive.
Gaddflye, if you really want to attract quality women into your life, give them something to show you are a quality man.
 Nyda
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:08:09 PM
First and foremost, post a picture.

Saying that your physique is athletic when it dunlap (belly dunlap over the belt). I like a man who is a little porky, just not porkey the pig.

Saying all the things you do - in your fantasies (sky diving, gator wrestling, flying off to rio, etc.) Let me know who you are inside and what you really enjoy. Lying gets you np where.

NEGATIVITY - in any form. How you are just getting your life back together after that two timing so and so took everything you had; Tell me why I should like you without being arrogant or self righteous.

Do not want to hear about ex-wife or how your wife died in you profile. MAJOR turn off. You have not gotten over whatever got you here.

Keep extremely personnel comments about yourself to when you actually develop a relationship. As soon as I see a person write about how sexual/passionate/physical (use whatever term you want) it is an immediate turn off. It says to me you are looking for a VERY short term relationship between the sheets.

Be who you are. Be what you are. Like who you are and what you are.

Lastly, when someone write that you don't like, Don't be cruel. Be polite. Be Kind.
 moraima
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:13:37 PM
Well....................I and my friends are from size 2 to size 6................see nothing wrong with someone having a preference for those sizes.

If you want BBW, by all means say that too.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:20:16 PM
so ... you want "some guidance from the ladies on how a man can put his best foot forward when writing his profile" ???

you mean you want us to TELL YOU what to write? why not just be honest?

if you take everyone's advice and change your profile so that it doesn't actually reflect who or what you are ... and then you MEET someone ... isn't she going to be puzzled when the REAL you and the profile you don't mesh?

be yourself ... don't lie ... don't exagerate ... don't mistake fantasies for realities ... and like that ...

like I should advise YOU? no one's beating a path to MY website! I still think honesty is best ...

moraima
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:22:44 PM
My guess is that this thread is just for fun and not designed for the OP to change his profile.

There was a what do men over 50 thread. OP gave us a women over 50 to discuss.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:27:50 PM
What I have noticed is many women's profiles do not reveal what men want to know or see and vice versa. I plan to make an effort to write a profile which tells women what they want to know about a man. I want to be truthful about who I am. I also want to avoid negatives which I see in profiles in both sexes.

Some of the suggestions already posted are quite helpful. Thank you.
 breath~
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:33:48 PM
In a profile, seeing "I don't look (or don't act) my age" .. just bugs the crap outta me.

There are a lot of other things that make me go "pffft" and click off profile... but that one just sets my teeth on edge.

Tell ya the truth.. a LOT of profiles I stumble on, I find really interesting and I'd like to nibble on the fishing hook thrown out.
But then I always get to the part about "looking for a slim active woman" (or something along that line) and I say well, there goes my chances.
I'm active... but they want someone to climb the mountain with them while hiking. I'll be the van driver, I'll cook over the campfire, I'll listen with interest to the talk going on after the mountain hike, but I can't climb the mountain.
And I'm not slim.

Seriously... looking for slim, attractive, and active are the words in many men's profiles.
Ah well.
It's their choice and nothing wrong with that.
 halley888
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/4/2009 3:54:55 PM
I like a man to be honest and talk about his interests and what he's looking for whether it be a long term relationship, dating, etc. I'd like to know what type of music they like, name a few artists, talk about what kind of sports you like, movies, and what you like to do on a date.

Whenever I initiate contact by sending an email, I don't get an answer, so I've given up on that. I wait until a man sends me an email first.

A lot of men over 50 are looking for women in their 30's or 40's, or younger. I've dated younger men mostly - not because I wanted to, but that's who I have more in common with and who I attract. Some of the men over 50 need a younger woman to boost their ego, I guess.

I don't understand why men over 50 have photos of themselves with their buddies at a bar, with women on a vacation or out on the town, with their shirt off, etc. Some come on strong in their email wanting to meet right away. Some of their profiles are too long. If you can't say it in a paragraph or two, don't say it.

I just wrote to a 66 year old who wanted to meet me after the first email to see if their was "Chemistry." His first sentence was that he didn't want to get married, but he wanted a long term, exclusive relationship. He said the youngest woman he had ever been with was 49 and that he just got a divorce in August of 2009 and had been married twice in 35 years. He said he had a little "devil" in him and that he might me too fast for my liking. I wrote back and said he was a little old to be a "Bad Boy" and that his email came on too strong.

What are your experiences with these over 50 men? I haven't had much luck.

Halley888
 SueCat51
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:02:01 PM
What I want to see in a man's profile:
#1 - current photo. Full body shot & a close up (head shot)
#2 - no negatives. Hey, we all feel like we get crapped on from time to time, we've encountered liars, cheats, and thieves. Does it really need to be re-inforced in the profile?
#3 - laundry list. If it's too long, I'm going to get bored. Hey, I know we all live by OUR OWN "Laws of Attraction", but if the laundry list has 100 physical requirements, prepare to join the Lonely Hearts Club.
#4 - vague profiles. If your profile doesn't list any interests, I'll start to wonder if you have a pulse.
#5 - age ranges. If a man lists he's interested in women from ages 20 to 99, I'm going to run. He's either desperate or he doesn't know what he wants.
#6 - photos. Almost the same as #1, but do I really want to see you in a photo with some "hot young thing", that I don't know if she was your former wife, is your daughter, or your Maid? Sell yourself, not the women in your life. I'm not interested in them.
#7 - photos. I know, I'm repeating myself about photos. Lose the caps and the hats. I know you possibly can't sleep with them on. How would you like for my mug shot on POF to show me wearing my hair curlers and God forbid, cold cream on my face!
#8 - spelling. If every other word is spelled incorrectly, I'm going to assume you didn't pass 8th grade. Hire a Secretary or install spell checker on your computer.
#9 - THE BOTTOM! I'm not talking about your rear. I'll check the bottom of your profile to see if you've posted to the forums. I'll read your forum postings. If you constantly whine, if you bash, or come across in a negative manner, I'll either label you as a Troll or a Woe Is Me, of which I will have no choice but to refer you to a phone number: 1-800-WAAH. I suppose there are Drama Kings in this world.
#10 - sex. There is a time and a place for sex. Your profile isn't the place to mention your black book. Face it Gents, we all want to kiss, cuddle, and even get lucky to make it to a home run. If you've got to mention sex or you're into love making on your profile, I'll have to assume you are thinking with the Wrong Head. Quite possibly, you may need to fire the person that wrote your profile, and start from scratch!
#11 - photos. Here I go again. SMILE! When you post your mug on a dating site, you've got to smile. I'm talking about showing some teeth. This isn't a funeral here.
#12 - be creative! Take some time to be creative with your profile. It tells me that you've really taken some time to tell the world about yourself. The more creative the profile is, the more interested I become.
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:13:05 PM
Was just lookin....

Heck Mr. Gaddflye..............

You WAY out numbered......

No way I'm gettin involved in this....

You stay here....

I'll cover you at the other forums...

Ain't NO way a male gonna win on this thread....

---SoldierByte--...outta here.....
 bayman47
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:24:32 PM
Why did anybody even bother to reply, he doesn't get it, actually most people don't get it lol.
 daffie
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:32:40 PM
no 1?.....you must post a CURRENT PHOTO.
without a pic., i won't bother to read a profile so nothing else they say matters at all.....i'm sure i'm not alone in this.

i have been reading your posts on here for the past year or so. from what you have said in the past i am puzzled as to why YOU, of all people, need any help.
you always seem to be a magnet for beautiful, young successful women. what has happened for you to seek assistance, are you going through a lean period at the moment?
 Epona65808
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:38:20 PM
I like to see a photo - with no naked men, no dead animals, no vehicles, no children (for the primary).

I also like to read what they like to do. Your profile is a bit dry in that regard.

You have every right to ask for a blonde Barbie. Good luck with that.

Perhaps you should have posted this under profile review.

RockDrummer_2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:45:26 PM
Whooooo Do Me...Do Me I really don't want to do profile review from some generic person of undetermined age. Would rather have it done right here, by the people that I write to & read about everyday....pleazzzeee
Be gentle...
No, don't be gentle...
Be firm...
No, don't be firm...

Heck w/it...just be honest
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/4/2009 4:55:22 PM
Hey..!!!
I hate to be a "me too"...
BUT...
Mr. RockDrummer_2010 said it ALL...

had mine (profile) reviewed by a "Barbie" type that
talked, looked, and acted like one of my daughters..!!
Rather deal with the gals I know...
(and this next line gonna make me gag.. )
and that I respect...............
Anyways....
one of my favorite lines I utilize in bed....
Guess I can utilize it here too....

do me.. do me.. please.. do me toooooo...

Now .. I'm outta here...
---SoldierByte---
 Gaddflye
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:14:28 PM
I am not asking for a profile review. What I would like to know are what women over 50 look for in a man's profile and what they do not want to see. I know photos are important and that women do not want to see trophy fish, trophy dead animals and photos of trophy former wives or girlfriends in a man's photos. I also appreciate it is important to be positive and witty in a profile women over 50 will enjoy reading. But what do women over 50 enjoy reading in a man's profile and what do they not want to read?
 desert wildflower
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:18:45 PM
seeing that you asked...................

I see that you took out the lines about most your exes being models, and that many of them were referred to as Barbies. This is good. Those particular sentences (for me) put you on the top of the list for having the absolutely most arrogant, self absorbed, superficial, letcherous profile on all of POF for all of time. I do give you however that you are from OC and that is kind of a niche for arrogant obnoxious sexist self serving pigs, and considered acceptable in that market. To be honest, once in a while I would pull up your particular profile, just for sh*ts and giggles after a night of being out, and meeting one of your fellow good ole boys from your club.

Ther other issue that you will only consider dating women 12 to 31 years younger than yourself also kind of puts you in this same category as a looking for a trophy arm candy jerk guy. Again, consider the region, pretty normal.

So , if you do have all of these physical demands, I sure hope that you can meet a similar standard to that, being an average of 20 years older than who you prefer.
More typically, guys that I have met in this age range, with those requirements, I refer to as the pregnant Tommy Bahama boyz, Having to tilt the steering wheel in their Porche all the way up, in order to fit his steak and martini filled distended abdomen under it. Oooooooo, baby, that`s hot! Maybe they have a few bucks but that certainly doesn`t make them attractive in my book.
:

At 66, you are cutting off at 54. Why do you ask what over 50 women want? I doubt if you want them. Having probs getting the hot 30 year olds in your stabile? Well, in closing, you are who you are. I think you should put the Barbie and model remark back in there so women know what they would be getting into if they accepted a date from you. Be Real. If you want to be a Hugh Hefner, go for it. I`m sure if you spend enough you`ll get a few takers, especially in Southern California. Women here have seemed to develop a pretty strong stomach for arrogant horney old viagara dogs.
There is sure enough of them around.

You asked. Best wishes finding that trophy to dangle.

Edit: FYI------a few of the ladies on the forums, including myself have actually emailed other lady posters and told them to look up your profile, just to laugh at the level of arrogance and ridiculousness of it. Just being honest.
 the SoldierByte
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:33:17 PM
WoW....................!!!!!
Jeepers Ms desert wildflower......

I've never looked at his profile.. (no guys for that fact)..

But now I'm having second and THIRD thoughts about
yous reviewing mine...........
Are you sure you are not my fifth wife in disguise..??
Talk about "assertive"...
You scare me........
But that's how I like em............!!!!
Wanna date....????
If you act right....
we could become "an item"...
but no slapping..!!!
cause that bruises my delicate skin..........
And if you gonna yell at me.......
Please.. not in public...
and only AFTER I fall asleep...
That way.. we'll get along just hunk-dory..!!
I'm waiting at the phone for you now.
More later...
---SoldierByte---
(me thinks this thread will be deleted..
way too much chit-chat here.. )
 Moonchild51
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:35:18 PM
Oh Jaysus Dessert? What more could be said after what you said?

I do understand what Mr. Flye is trying to convey, never mind his own personal issues. And I for one? Don't think it matters a rat's azz what men say in their profiles. The minute you begin to chat with them, then the usual comes out. They all think this "dating" site is a booty site. Either that, or they are married and want to email, email, and email....Fack....who really cares?
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:37:18 PM
Op, I want to find a sense of the man...who he is..not what he owns.

I dont have a problem with a man who post his trophies...I think it says alot that he is proud of himself for what he has done. While I might not be a fisherperson I can appreciate a great catch. I don't ride a motorcycle but I can appreciate a good looking machine...however when a man is just showing off his *goods then I look for clues that he is looking for another possession vs a person.

We are each unique individuals so I think men should post their interest....it helps define who they are and if all guys were to post the same type of profile then how boring would the world become.

The one thing I just hate is the really really long boring profiles...especially with their list of what they don't want.
 RockDrummer_2010
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:45:02 PM
Whoaaaaa Soldierbyte dude....man, can we pull outta here?
Between Desert and Alana, they're eatin' this dudes lunch. They passed up brutally honest, & just went straight for brutal....I skeered
They're aiming right at the male ego - I bet 'ol boy felt his penis shriveling up by end of Desert's post, then Alana kicked him while he was down.

Quick - RUN Soldierbyte RUN
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:51:52 PM
Ok I'm close enough to 50 so I think I can answer here...................

No photos of your wedding, ex wife/wives/girlfriends, hot women you met at a bar, children.

No need to talk about how you like sex in your profile....................as Homer would say DOH!!!!

daffie
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/4/2009 6:00:30 PM
wildfire......

that was belissimo!

next?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?