Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > I broke my rice cooker, which brand for a new one?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 all8cylinders
Msg: 1
I broke my rice cooker, which brand for a new one?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
The most ghastly thing happened to me this week. My trusty rice cooker that's been with me for 10 years has broken down. I eat rice at least 5 days a week and I honestly can't really live without it. I've been eating potatoes or going out to eat (which is not great for my training!)

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for me? I'm pretty old school when it comes to rice cookers (white canister, black feet, silver metal inner bowl and a small tab out front to turn on, orange light) and I'm thinking about getting a more modern, new style one that a lot of the Japanese and Korean brands have out.

Thanks!
 JWG86
Msg: 2
I broke my rice cooker, which brand for a new one?
Posted: 6/7/2009 2:05:57 AM
I...I just use a pot to cook rice in. Actually no, I buy the microwavable instant brown-rice. However, all of my friends where I used to live who were Filipino were VERY particular about their rice-cookers, and held them in high esteem. I can imagine your pain. It is like, if my george foreman were to take a dump. I suggest an online store to meet this need. Perhapse even E-bay? I don't know. I cannot refer you as I have not purchased a rice-cooker myself.
 djrdx
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2009 8:27:01 AM
hmmm
well, i'd reccomend a 'national' if you can find one,
this ones been in the family for about 20 years now i think, still going strong, cooking that rice well.
 mik1950
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/7/2009 10:36:01 AM
my rice cooker is a pot with a close fitting lid...2 cups salted water...bring to a boil...add 1 cup rice...stir till it comes to a second boil...cover with lid...set on low simmer...cook 20 min without lifting the lid...after 20 min...fluff with a fork...done...perfect rice every time...

Actually no, I buy the microwavable instant brown-rice

and you are the guy giving nutrional advice to someone?...dont make me laugh
 mik1950
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/7/2009 11:46:04 AM
lapilot...not saying they dont have their place...i just dont own one...to me they fall into the same category as bread makers...if ya got it...use it...i've always made rice by simmering it...never had a failure yet...i'm sure the OP could google it and/or buy one online...or visit a chinese deli?...
if i ever get so bad as to use minute rice or microwave rice...please put me out of my misery...
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 5:10:24 AM
Zojirushi makes good ones. I have one of the higher end models with the fuzzy logic. Makes perfect rice everytime and keeps rice warm for a couple days. You can also make congee with it.

You can find them in Asian grocery stores.
http://www.zojirushi.com

Look for the ones with the Silverstone type of non-stick interior - they last longer. The old style ones with the aluminum bowls will flake off within a year.
 mik1950
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/9/2009 5:49:57 AM
dude...i'd be very careful if you are keeping rice warm for a couple of days...cooked rice builds up a very nasty enzyme in a very short period of time and it will not produce pleasant results...cooked rice should be refrigerated asap after eating and kept no longer than 3 days in the fridge
 Park_Guy
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/9/2009 6:39:37 AM
I can't exactly suggest a brand, but mine died a year ago or so and I was in the same predicament... searching for a new one.
A couple of things I can suggest from the ones I tried:

1. make sure its at least a 10 Cup unit. I tried a nice cheap Blank and Decker 6 cup unit, although I only usually cook 2-4 cups at a time, I almost never use water alone, I usually sub beef or chicken broth and I found that the 6 cup one even with 2 cups of rice usually "spat" out of the top steam hole and made a mess everywhere. Its fine if your using washed rice and water, but if you add anything else to the rice it tends to foam up and boil over.

2. Make sure it has a glass top with a hole in it. Glass top so you can see whats going on (I'm nosy) and the steam hole as some don't have one and they just steam up around the rim of the lid and make a mess.

3. Forget the digital fuzzy logic. I mean, come one, its rice! I cook brown rice, white rice, add veggies, use broth, I've never had a problem with my rice cooker burning or not making rice lol. I tried one of the Zojrushi units, it was a nice rice cooker, but at 5 times the price the only thing I can say is that a brown rice setting is nice, but it took too long to program each time, and I was always concerned about the boilover or drips running over the control panel and ruining it. Simpler is better, less parts to break. Although, the programmable delayed start was neat, really, it only takes a couple of minutes to make rice, do you need to really set the start timer?

4. Probably the most important, a well made, non stick removable liner. One I tried (a friends) was only a couple of months old and had the nice shiny aluminum looking non stick liner, it was already scratched and showing wear. Mine (I'll have to look up the name when I get home, its escaping me) has a well made dark Teflon liner, nice and solid, washing machine safe and works great. Oh, another thing to look for in the liner is does it have the heating element in it? On mine, the element is part of the liner, better heat dissipation and no hot spots where it can burn, others the liner sits on the element and you can get hot spots, as well they're not as efficient.

5. A minor thing but I like a removable cord, I can take the cord, the scrappers etc... and put them all inside and put it on the shelf. My old one didn't have a removable cord, it was always getting in the way.

Good Luck! I'll pull mine out when I get home and see what it actually is lol.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:28:59 AM
The use of the term 'fuzzy logic' just means that it uses a computer to control the temperature and, among other things, is the reason why rice can be kept warm in the cooker for a couple days. I wouldn't do that in an ordinary rice cooker. The computer can be programmed to cook different types of rice, hard or soft, wet or dry. With the ordinary rice cooker, to do the same thing, it's more or less trial and error until you get it right. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary rice cooker if you want rice cooked the same way every time but the computer controlled ones make it easier to cook rice with different textures more consistently.

VVV Been using the keep warm feature for more than a couple years now and have never had the rice go bad on me. And I'm still alive to talk about it. 2 days is the limit - 3 days and the rice gets hard and dry.
 mik1950
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/9/2009 7:37:22 AM
dude...the safe holding temp for hot food is 140 F...but you knew that...are you really gonna leave rice at that temp or higher for a few days?...i mean really now...why on earth would you want to?...i'd think after a couple days at that temp...and assuming you have the sense to add moisture to it to keep it from drying out...that you would be left with a thick, gluey mess...hardly appetizing...just make a fresh batch ffs
 Park_Guy
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/9/2009 11:34:20 AM
I'm quite sure I know the term "Fuzzy Logic", I build HVAC automation and temperature control systems for a living. When it comes to a rice cooker, having different programmable options is yes nice, but not really required. The Zojrushi units use the term "Fuzzy Logic" improperly really, they don't do any type of PWM control on the induction heating element and only use a differential control on the keep warm mode, but thats getting off into a whole other tangent lol. They should really just call it a programmable rice cooker. It does have nice programs and has adjustable hold and boil times for different modes which does make it nice, but for the price difference its at least for me not worth it.

As to keeping Rice warm for days, even the Zojrushi manuals say to not keep rice warm for more than 12 hours, FDA rules state that a safe holding temperature for any foods must exceed 140F, and the Jojrushi units have a hold temperature around 120-125F, Bacillus cereus loves temperatures below 130F to breed, I wouldn't risk it myself, but if your still alive its working for you lol. Also, a rice cooker won't kill B. Cereus, it takes temps over 121C for at least 20 minutes to kill it, Rice cookers top out at just over 100C, the boiler temp of water.
 leadpipe1958
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/26/2009 12:33:22 PM
I use the small microwave cooker.
Rinse the rice and add water swish the rice around till it is level on the bottom.Add or remove water till it reaches your first knuckle form the top of the rice ( put your finger in to measure). put on lids ,set microwave for 15 minutes .it comes out perfect every time..
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > I broke my rice cooker, which brand for a new one?