Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Random compliments not a good thing?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 steve217
Msg: 10
Random compliments not a good thing?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Well... Goes to show that just because a woman is beautiful...
Doesn't mean she isn't nutty.
 spot4username
Msg: 14
Random compliments not a good thing?
Posted: 6/10/2009 8:25:13 AM
Is he hot?

Just kidding. Her response was over the top. I don't take compliments well. It is not a skill that I have acquired although I won't take your head off (usually).

The only - very far fetched - excuse I can come up with is that she learned this in a self defense class. They do teach you to be leery of strangers approaching you even in well lit areas. Letting someone get close enough to touch or show you a weapon. One thing they teach is to scream or yell something loudly. Most "bad guys" will move along and look for an easier target.

Or....

she could be a nutter.
 AwP
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2009 9:18:16 AM
Too bad he couldn't see inside her personality, or else he would have realized that she wasn't beautiful at all.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:46:45 AM

Well.. if she was a Jersey girl.. then she HAD to have flipped him the bird.. it goes with the attitude!!

"If you're not going to pump my bleeping gas then don't bleeping bother to bleeping compliment me!! Ya bleeping bleeper!!"

Remind me to never go to Jersey. I think I prefer the "kinder, gentler" girls of the west coast!
 cookie22222
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:57:43 AM
LOL @ the Jersey girls...

I can't imagine why someone would react like that. Especially to a harmless remark like that - God knows I don't hear anything so gentle when I'm walking to work!

I once was doing a big spring cleaning and ran out of something, so off I go to the store...dirty in raggedy clothes saved for cleaning only, no makeup, hair all yanked back in a scrunchie - and this guy outside the store just looked me up and down and said - I bet you clean up good. I laughed. Guess she's either the nasty B* word or was having a bad day.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/10/2009 11:02:18 AM
I have a feeling that (a) she wasn't a very nice woman, and (b) he didn't come across as smooth as it may appear.

Regardless, every once in a great while you walk into a public environment someone might give you a dirty look for no reason at all. Some people are just in a really bad mood. You shouldn't let that stop you from giving out drive-by compliments... doing those drive-bys help boost your comfort zone of talking to strangers. It's the first phase before taking next steps, like starting conversation with a pretty gal at a bar and whatnot.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/10/2009 12:06:31 PM

Ohhh come on baldy!!

It was a joke!!

Yes. I know. So was mine.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/10/2009 12:55:05 PM
If a strange man came up to me and pleasantly gave me a compliment, such as your friend did, and then graciously left, it would brighten my day. What a lovely thing to do. I'm so sorry that the woman to whom he spoke wasn't as beautiful inside as she was on the outside.

Tell him not to change. He can brighten the days of other women who WILL appreciate the kind thought.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:09:31 PM
Oh come on! New Jersey's not that bad...

There's um . . y'know . . and, well, we've got . . uhh . . like, well . . . er, y'see, I'm sure there's...

Yeah, maybe I should've stopped when I was ahead.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:42:49 AM
I think it's a sad sign of the times. Everyone seems to be so "on guard" at all times. I've seen many people react downright rudely to others for no reason. Even when the person was being kind.

I have no problems giving someone a compliment.
I've given them out to people at supermarkets, at clubs, gas stations, restaurants, etc...

Usually I get a blush and a thank you.
From time to time, it will lead to a conversation. They'll thank me, and start talking about... whatever...

Once in a while, I do see those who give me an evil look, or cuss me out as if I just called them a whore or something. :p

I've gotten random compliments myself. Most commonly I'll find a woman gazing into my eyes, and compliment me on them. I will thank her, kiss her hand, and usually compliment her back (I usually don't have any trouble finding SOMETHING to compliment someone on). ;)

Sometimes, sure, I can see that someone's complimenting me as a pickup. There's a noticable difference (at least for me) when someone is giving a heartfelt compliment, and when they're just schmoozing. :p
I still take it kindly and thank them. There's nothing wrong with someone thinking you're attractive enough to come on to. There's no cause to treat them like they're a rapist or something.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2009 4:26:14 PM
Y'know, I remember being at this bar where a band was playing.

After the show, some woman came up to me and said "I just had to tell you that you have a really great ass."

Ms. Etiquette, Dear Abby, etc., have never even remotely touched on the proper response for this sort of thing, so I just, with a big smile on my face, replied "Thanks."

I wasn't really going to do much more than that, as she was somewhat inebriated, and, well, she did arrive with a guy who had a significant mass advantage over me. Sure, he MIGHT have just been a friend, but my health plan's not generous enough for me to have taken a chance on that.

Actually, come to think of it, that might've happened twice.... different occasions.

In any case, I wasn't even remotely offended.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/11/2009 9:23:41 PM
Meh, it was one broad. You can't question yourself over that. 10 in a row? That's reason to check yourself.

I happen to like compliments about my appearance more from people who I know because I know they aren't looking for anything in return - but mostly I like compliments about what I accomplish and have some control over.

I don't scream and drop F bombs over it tho...
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 3:12:37 PM
Come to think of it, if I were in the OP's friend's place and gone through the same thing, after her nasty reply I'd've walked right back up to her and said something along the lines of:

"Madam, I do truly apologize for misjudging you so. I truly regret my compliment, and was sorely mistake, because, as it turns out, you are in fact an incredibly offensive, unpleasant b!tch, whose inner ugliness mars any sort of external, superficial beauty you possess. Good day."

Ok, I probably wouldn't be that exaggeratedly graceful and elegant, but I would've been relatively polite, if bluntly honest.

I'd like to think that's how I'd be able to counter it, anyway.
 _allen_
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 3:34:12 PM
NotElvisJunior:

"Madam, I do truly apologize for misjudging you so. I truly regret my compliment, and was sorely mistake, because, as it turns out, you are in fact an incredibly offensive, unpleasant b!tch, whose inner ugliness mars any sort of external, superficial beauty you possess. Good day."

I would have said the same, some where along those lines ... but I would have used more profanity. Would have ended it with the phrase: " I ain't got time for this" and walked away agressively stomping my feet and talking to myself. You know, to freak her out 'cause she ain't the only one that can get crazy in a public gas station woth 20 or so patrons

I'm just joshin ya. I wouldn't have cared enough to respond to her rudeness.
 RoadTrip3500
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:03:44 PM
NotElvisJunior:

I would say this:
"I guess no one is simply nice to you very often... and now I see why. Good night."
 Vannili
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2009 9:20:44 PM
Msg.1:
I apologized for that woman's behavior,she's got no class and poise... Or she has a mental issue.

So much for being nice and giving random compliments,eh? Whatever happened to the ole' Thank You?????

Civil people knows how to use the word, Thank You...
 Strings6
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:44:59 AM
Perhaps she was just a typical **** acting like a typical ****
 DIVISION77
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:27:19 AM
Baldy is right.

Women out west are generally receptive to honest compliments.

Out here, there's a shortage of men who do such a thing.

ditto on the Jersey girl thing, not my type.....

NotElvisJunior
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:47:58 AM
RoadTrip3500 wrote:
I would say this:
"I guess no one is simply nice to you very often... and now I see why. Good night."

But that is because you're a concise writer/speaker, and I tend to be . . ah . . shall we say "excessively wordy"

I like yours way better!
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:57:29 AM
I can't believe it didn't work out for your friend, OP. I mean, walking up to a random beautiful woman and telling her that she's beautiful. And that didn't compel her to throw herself into his arms in response to such a meaningful and original comment?

The girl was a beyotch for sure, if indeed that's how it all went down. But complimenting women just for the sake of doing so will just empower women like that even more, making them feel they have complete control over men and entitled to treat them like garbage.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:02:56 PM
You have to keep in mind that attractive women have to deal with every loser in the world spewing garbage out of their mouth just because a hot woman happens to walk by. It's got to get old for them. Of course, you'd think they'd adapt to it a little better and more appropriately and just say thanks or something, especially if the guy was not being sleazy about it.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:19:24 PM
I talk to a lot of people in a day and if I think someone is dressed nice, their hair looks good,the color they have on compliments them, I will tell them.I stopped a lady in Superstore one day and told her...I just have to say, I love your hair, you've probably heard that before, though. She had white hair,cut in a funky style...long on one side and short through the back and the one side, with a black streak on the long side. She was 65 and looked about 50,I found out this from the long conversation we had after that ,and she ended up giving me her hairdresser's card.

I have been told by the guy that works at the gas station I go to that I am a good looking woman, I just smiled and said thanks, and once in the bar a stranger came up to me, asked me my name and told me I was beautiful.I asked him his name and said thank you.Made my day, both times! Why a person would react negative to a random compliment is way beyond me.What harm is it going to do to give a person a compliment or to take a compliment, given to you, graciously?
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:40:48 PM
Ugh - I hope not . . I'm not a talented enough actor to even fake that!

Maybe it's the decade I grew up in...
 Vannili
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 6:30:56 PM
Maybe she was a he, and he regrets changing his sex into a woman, how dare some dude said she was beautiful when he doesn't feel it, because he still have weanie dangling below his belt.~~~~~~~~

Oops! corny joke, I have to tickle myself to laugh at my joke.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:43:09 AM
We dont know your friend so its hard to determine things here, if a guys hot than a woman might like it if hes not she will probabaly be more offended, women are like that!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Random compliments not a good thing?