Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > UNIX/Linux Utilities / Apps      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lotuswrench
Msg: 3
UNIX/Linux Utilities / AppsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
You definitely need elinks or lynx as one of your browsers, very helpful when you somehow manage to break X

I haven't played with Mplayer much outside of Geexbox, but VLC does a very good job of handling anything I throw at it, plus transcoding and streaming.

aMSN is pretty cool, what with it's ability to end voice clips

and yeah, being FOSS, there's a billion others that I'm probably missing out on
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 5
view profile
History
UNIX/Linux Utilities / Apps
Posted: 6/12/2009 2:34:13 AM

OMG, people still use IRC?!!! I didn't know that. That's like the punchcard of chatting. How secure is that, anyways?

it's not. But it's used a lot as an adjunct to a lot of technical mailing lists, for both support and development discussion for many open source projects.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:30:11 PM
PC Linux OS

Inkscape

The GIMP

Xara Xtreme

Bluefish

Screem

Kompozer

Amarok

Fire Fox (Chrome if they ever release it for Linux)

Compz Fusion

Kopete
 PlanelyCrazy
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:45:26 AM
Gentoo
Vim
Firefox
OpenOffice
gcc
Octave
Gimp
Blender
Inkscape
Scribus
Dia
Ardour
Audacity
K3B
vlc

For entertainment:
Stellarium
TuxPaint (when the niece was younger)
Scorched3D
X-Plane (commercial)

Oh, and I need to get a better TV card, I bought a DTV tuner, but of course its not linux compatible... even though I read it was. Boo.

I haven't had any problems with my HDHomeRun from SiliconDust (silicondust.com). It's a standalone product that delivers full resolution HDTV over ethernet, so there aren't the usual hardware driver issues you tend to get with Linux. The GUI could be nicer, but all-in-all I've been very impressed with the quality and compatibility of the product. Full-screen 1080p HDTV on my widescreen LCD monitor is nice! Uses about 10% of my quad-core for decoding at 1920x1080 resolution.
 Woodsmoke and Oranges
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:40:27 PM
I got into Linux since I wanted to play with; Geographic Resources Analysis Support System or GRASS GIS back in the mid 90's. I have used RH, SUSE, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian etc...and now I use Kubuntu.

Gotta love Tux Racer!
 sweetpassiongrey
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/18/2009 12:55:45 AM
Nibbles is a standard game. It's very innocent, nice for children. In Ubuntu it's under Games by deafult or you can download it from Synaptic Manager.

Kurt
 sweetpassiongrey
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/18/2009 1:01:28 AM
I think I remember that a "nibble" is four bits. . .
So, nibble, like many words, have multiple definitions.
If you want to play Nibble, don't hold your breath. It's mostly for kids.
 luckygreentiger
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 1:39:29 AM
Unix/Linux Flavor
Desktop - Ubuntu

Browser - Firefox
Office Software - OpenOffice
Imaging Software - Paint.NET (but not windows)
Instant Messaging - Pidgin
eMail - Thunderbird
Multimedia - Audacity, Totem, MPlayer
Other - WINE, LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP)
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > UNIX/Linux Utilities / Apps