Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > He seems like a gentelman, but neglects his dog : red flag?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moraima
Msg: 8
view profile
History
He seems like a gentelman, but neglects his dog : red flag?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Oh sure.............the dog will hopefully end up in rescue..................sigh...........don't be rescuing the man..............kick him to the curb and tell him why!
 ForumFilly
Msg: 9
He seems like a gentelman, but neglects his dog : red flag?
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:01:38 PM
Any person who would intentionally neglect or hurt an animal is NOT someone I would want to know. It goes to the man's intrinsic nature and that is more than a red flag. You're talking sirens, helicopters, flashing red and blue lights and a P.A. system yelling "WARNING!!".
You can tell him yourself that you believe his dog is being neglected and that you cannot stand to see this behavior to continue. If the situation doesn't improve, tell him you will call the Humane Society. This is liable to end any relationship you may be forming with him (no great loss, IMO).

Or you can just go ahead and contact the Humane Society right off the bat. They will investigate your allegations.

Would you even have to ask this question is it were a child involved? Why should an animal be any different?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/11/2009 7:15:07 PM
Sweetie: NOT a red flag. STOP SIGN. Do not pass go, do not collected $200.

I hope you live some place with a humane society or a SPCA. If not, report him to the sheriff's office. NO excuse for this kind of chit.

You can do better. Promise.

SueCat51
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2009 8:00:50 PM
He is NOT a gentleman. Hells bells, this guy doesn't even qualify to be called a human being. YOU've got to ask??? Time to get your gray matter (between the ears) checked, and kick this guy to the curbside. It's your gut telling you something. I'd also turn this guy in to the ASPCA.
 Ron9
Msg: 27
He seems like a gentleman, but neglects his dog : red flag?
Posted: 6/12/2009 2:52:11 PM
People have different ideas about pet treatment.

What is meant by neglects his dog?

I currently have about 27 years of toy poodle care (male for 14 years this female for 12.5) and .... I am sure some would consider what they often look like as >>> neglect.

- never have had their toe nails painted
- never did they look like a poodle
- never have not looked more like junk yard dogs

foo foo ? ......... GET OUT OF HERE
 fairyaway
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:11:45 PM
maybe he dont like the dog?..just a thought..x
 Moonchild51
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:29:44 PM
^^^^Well isn't that an intelligent comment? Never ceases to amaze me how some folks are!

OT: Have to agree that the way a man or woman treats their pets is a true sign of how caring/compassionate they are. Animals cannot take care of themselves. What is shown to one's pets, is what can be shown to humans.
 Rythmn
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:34:48 PM
clean up the dog and the mess, offer to take the dog from him and find it a better home--unless you perform a miracle. perhaps the man was neglected as a child and needs someone to teach him?

i find it hard to believe that this is a man with an otherwise clean home and who takes care of "anything" properly. what the heck attracted you to him, his smell?

also check your state and county laws. here, for example, you cannot "chain" a dog for any length of time. ask your local shelter folks what you can do "legally" if he refuses your help and the situation continues.

maybe you will luck out, if you find a way to discuss this. how long have you been the bystander/observer? i could never "date" a man who treats his dog this way. but, bet your bippie, my rescue strategy would be in place on day one.

btw, the same happens with children. how many neglect or deny that sort of situation?

it takes a village!!!
 Miss W
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:53:01 PM
It is so unfortunate that there are many people in this world who have living things in their lives whether it be pets, children or other relationships where they are ill equipped to take care of and nurture. Knowing one's capacity and the ability to think things through and be able to care for what you bring into your life tells me a lot about a person...so yes, it is a red flag.
 TryAgan
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 9:38:24 PM
Well, he doesn’t look like a responsible owner, and both of them would be better off, if he found a new home for the dog.

In the meantime, you can show him, how it’s done. With a shovel and two plastic bags, you can clean up the yard in 10-20 minutes.
Then use the water hose to dissolve any remaining spots and finally aim the hose at the pooch and give him a good shower. He’ll duck and cover, but don’t slack off, drench him thoroughly for 10-15 minutes. You many need a raincoat or bikini.

If you really want to feel good about the dog and yourself, shampoo him (baby shampoo will work great), and wash it off again. No need to dry him off.

Finally, when the boy friend shows up to inspect the situation, corner him and use your just obtained expertise to do the second washing. He may need assistance with drying off.
 Yankee again
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/20/2009 9:52:30 PM
REd flags for me, how they treat the pets, the kids and the neighbors.
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:15:49 PM

Yeah, if he neglects his dog, he'll probably neglect you too. Major red flag.

so true, so true, especially if he/she is cruel and unkind to his pets.

Bliss
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/22/2009 11:28:30 AM

I told him when he found a woman who was as happy to see him as Zoe, my dog is, he's found a keeper.

wow, thats the best sign i've ever heard... gotta use that one. when i think back on previous relationships, that would of let me know when things were going south. (on both ends).
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/23/2009 8:23:36 AM

Someone who has no empathy for pets?
It's up to you about how this makes you feel about this person.

reminds me of a girl i dated, on the 2nd date we went to her place to watch a movie. and her dog was barking at me, and she screeched at it to shut off. TOTALLY turned me off to her.
I would expect the dogs to bark at a stranger. you dont screech at your dog to shut up, you calm them down and let the person introduce themselves so the dogs not afraid of the new person in their home.
I did think, if this is how she yells at her dog, what about when i do something wrong (i'm a guy, it'll happen). Yes, that was the last date.

shadow
 moraima
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2010 1:22:25 PM
Before you run, take the dog and lose it (at your house), then run. Criminal maybe. Humane definately.
 TryAgan
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2010 7:46:46 PM
The original post was written 7 months ago.
If the owner didn't change his ways, by now the dog could be dead.
 moraima
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2010 8:09:45 PM
"Have you ever noticed that the people that can least afford an pet normally have the largest they can get, maybe overcompensating for lack of self confidence"

Poster//////////you go with that theorie...................personally, I will put my finances, and my physically labor into taking care of dogs..............can't do it..........piss off!Yes, multiple dogs die.................and multiple people work all their resources, within the country and internationally.

Have an opinion when you can do that!

"maybe overcompensating for lack of self confidence"

This isn't about me or you...............want to have a pissing contest..........bring it on..............as you would say in NA. (Grow up!)

This is about animals..................can't do enought for them.
 nu2u8
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/5/2010 9:57:39 PM
That's not a red flag......that's an atomic bomb. Report it to the Humane Society!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > He seems like a gentelman, but neglects his dog : red flag?