Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm going to defy convention and suggest you look at Live Right for Your Type by Peter Dadamo. If it says your blood type does well with vegetarianism, go for it. If not, then follow the diet in the book, or choose another diet. I just know it helped me find a way to eat that I feel entirely healthy and got off of 4 prescription meds.

While Dadamo may not be right about everything, I do believe some people are better suited to vegetarianism than others. I for one will stay a healthy omnivore.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 9
Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:56:45 PM
I personally would never make it as a Vegetarian. I like my meat. And a lot of it. I also read Peter D'Amo's book, "Eat Right For Your Blood Type"..I found it very interesting if anything. And I did fall into the "Atkins" type of eating...I do not eat all the "fatty" stuff, but I keep my carbs to 20 or 30 grams a day, do a lot of working out, and have to tell you, it keeps me lean. And did for years before I was in a second horse wreck a few months ago. I do not call it a diet, I call it a "lifestyle". Way too many people out there who start all these bullshit diets, lose weight and get fat again, if not worse. You can lose a lot of body fat and be fit if you do it the right way. And there is no "easy way" either. I make a lot of sacrfices by going to the gym, eating right and living this way. It is a choice. E mail me if you want some ideas or help...:)
 satx78218
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2009 7:17:37 PM
Going vegetarian or vegan is probably the best thing you can do for your health, esp if it's coupled with cutting out all the crap (Doritos are meatless, but they're crap, as is everything from Frito-Lay and all industrial "food" corps).

"Eating you way to health".

Vegan is a lot harder, but vegetarian with occasional eggs, chicken, turkey, small fish is very sustainable. I've been doing it for 35 years with no negative consequences.

The energy equation is very simple, (good) calories in must be less that calories out/burned, you lose weight necessarily, totally separate from any artificial calorie burning like exercise. The overwhelming reason Americans are increasingly fat@sses is too many calories, and calories of low quality.

yawn, this stuff really get repetitive. :)
 MrTwistedPersonality
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 9:41:17 AM
I tend to agree with most of the people up here. Been a vegetarian for about 7-8 years. Personally, I would start first by identifying your lifestyle. Normally, the key to losing weight is figuring out what your body needs. My problem is I work swing shifts so I do not have a set time of eating (it is either feast or famine), have a nasty sweet-tooth, eat out too often, and I usually can't get off my fat butt because I am either too tired (some days I work/study up to 16+ hours) or too unmotivated (see too tired).

Overall I think vegetarianism is healthy for the fact that it does strip some fat out of the equation, but you can do the same by just eating less high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar, high-cholesterol food (both processed and non-), eating only when you are hungry (and stopping when you are not), and have regular cardio-vascular activities (walking those couple of blocks rather than driving, etc.). Vegan, however, I think is a little too extreme as it cuts necessary proteins and fats that are only found in animal products such as the omega fatty acids (and for those of you who are going to say that there are supplement pills for this, think- where do these supplements come from?) . I am probably more extreme in the vegetarian aspect because I do not eat fish or poultry, but still have eggs (got to get those necessary vitamins somewhere).

It is possible that, since your friend went vegetarian, perchance her sense of smell and taste has been enhanced as it has been with me? I have noticed those senses have become more acute after switching from an omnivorous diet to vegetarian, and as such, I have more appreciation for the food I eat. As such, one theory about your friend is she actually enjoys the olfactory and gustatory experience of her food, causing her to slow down eating, perchance causing her to feel full earlier in the meal?

Again, just because some people recommend a vegetarian diet, doesn't mean that it is right for you. As I suggested, see if you can switch out some lifestyle habits for healthier ones. Instead of eating that burger, swap it out for an avocado with a dash of salt (sorry, been craving avocados), or have a salad with light oil and vinegar instead of the dressing loaded with salt, sugar, and mayonnaise.
 d8withf8
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:12:57 AM
Ide say you will lose weight but alot of it will be muscle as well because veggies dont have much protien.
 d8withf8
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:13:58 AM
I think you will lose alot of muscle as well as fat because veggies dont have much protien
 eyes4u21211
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 8:55:35 PM
Actually there are plenty of ways to get protein from a vegetarian diet. Consider soy protein powder, or tofu, for example.
But I'm not here to advocate for vegetarianism. American food is over processed. How hard would it be to only eat things you actually recognize as once being alive? Who can identify the McNuggets on a chicken, or the "sticks" on a fish?

Read labels. Try to go a week without consuming any High Fructose Corn Syrup; it's in everything! Really --go look in your cabinet right now. It's in your bread, your baked beans, your soda, the pasta sauce, the salad dressing, and the fruit juice.

HFCS isn't the only enemy, but if you can eliminate that, you'll eliminate a whole host of other things that aren't particularly good for you.

I like meat. Mostly I use a pressure cooker with a rack above the water line to make quick, flavorful, tender and low fat meat dishes. Even a cheap pressure cooker will melt most of the fat out of a pork roast or dark poultry meat, and be done in 1/4 of the time of roasting.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/19/2009 5:13:57 PM
BBQ season also often leads to alcohol on patio or beer while BBQing season... was red meat the only change you made during bbq season?
 satx78218
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2009 11:18:12 AM
Playing the old protein deficiency card. :lol
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:18:34 PM

If you can outline for me a vegetarian diet that does this WITHOUT soy

The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier
Posted: 6/30/2009 2:25:59 PM

I agree that you CAN do it vegetarian/vegan, but it's a whole lot harder

In the beginning, absolutely it is.

As a vegetarian working my way towards vegan I recognize some people NEED animal protein to be healthy. You asked for a soy-free vegan diet, I recommended one.

OP: Vegetarianism can be an excellent weight-loss tool, if done healthily. Keeping in mind, one can have just as unhealthy of a diet being vegetarian as one can eating meat. I believe there is no sense giving up meat, if you truly love it, just to lose weight. You will only feel deprived, go back to it, and defeat all your gains.
 Ideoform
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 3:57:39 PM

"The first change that I made about four months ago is to cut out fast food, soda, and red meat. I lost 15lbs the first three months, and then when the "BBQ" season rolled around, I began eating red meat again, and gained 5 lbs back."

Congratulations on committing to make a postitive change in your life for both yourself and your son! Your son will benefit from the long term effects of what you are doing now. Eliminating soda alone will also help your wallet. Just be sure not to substitute high-sugar fruit drinks for the soda...go for a whole orange, rather than orange juice with sweeteners added to it. Grapefruit juice is good, but not the sweetened kind.

I think eliminating soda, fast food and red meat is a really good start, and perhaps if you stayed on this for a while longer you can continue to loose some weight. Adding and hour of exericse every day that gets your heart rate up is good -- plus, if you work off some calories, you can eat a bit more so you won't feel so deprived.

I was vegetarian for 14 years, another year as a vegan (no dairy or eggs) and another year as a macrobiotic vegetarian (was considered an anti-cancer diet at the time.) I was thin most of my life, until I had some unavoidable stress in my life. Stress can cause weight gain, because your cortisol levels go up (causing both men and women to gain weight around the waist), and lack of sleep can make you gain weight.

I can say from experience that vegetarianism is not going to automatically help you loose weight. I think giving up red meat works because of the growth hormones given to cattle are still in the meat you eat. You could try eating red meat only as a flavoring to foods (like a small amount in a stir-fry, for instance) and choose meat that is organic, free-range and hasn't been fed growth hormone (BGH). It is the fat from the meat that is the worst. Drain off all the fat, and if you need more moistness, use olive oil to coat the meat before grilling it. Fat is the way animals (and humans) tend to store all the toxins (which are fat-soluble). Take the skin off the chicken.

I think vegetarianism is not going to make you healthier, or anything, by itself. It is the awareness of what you are eating that will help you eat healthier. Vegetarianism is a way of life. It is sometimes a political stance, can be a religious stance, it can be a way to help the planet, and it is a way to clear your body to be able to meditate better, or hone your spiritual gifts better. If you are not interested in any of these things, it isn't going to necessarily help you. Many groups that are vegetarian live longer than the rest of us, but they also do other things that protect health, like they strongly advocate avoiding recreational drugs, caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.

If you do choose vegetarianism, you can benefit if your diet is healthier in lots of ways other than just giving up meat.

I just lost 30 lbs after going on an elimination diet to find out which foods were my problem. I eliminated all the foods that people typically have an allergy to, or are sensitive to. This includes, wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, shellfish, corn. I found I was sensitive to wheat, dairy and a little to soy. These were the foods I ate the most over the years as a vegetarian, and looking back, there was probably a time when these foods made my health worse instead of better, even though I had given up meat.

I had trouble loosing weight the usual way (diet and exercise) because I felt bad all the time and had no energy, so it was hard to exercise, and I had cravings for things. After eliminating wheat and dairy, my energy came back, I could exercise for two hours every day, and I lost all my cravings (yes, even for chocolate!)

I think that no diet is "one size fits all" and you have to discover what works for you. There is a reason you are the way you are. It might be that you are an emotional eater, or eat when you are bored, or that you don't get enough deep REM sleep, or that you eat things that stimulate your appetite, like MSG, high fructose corn syrup and some other flavorings like aspartame.

Try giving up all the appetite-stimulating things first and see if that helps you with craving more food than you need.

Manufacturers of processed foods have figured out a way to get us consumers to buy more food than we really need for our health. There are many ways to do this, and it works. Advertising works, too. Try to avoid food commercials. Get things on DVD without the commercials.

The things I think cause the most problems for dieters are:
* MSG
* Aspartame (a neurological stimulant)
* High Fructose Corn Syrup
* Trans-fats (all margarine--unless labeled trans-fat-free) Try Smart Balance Margarine
* Anything fried; high temperatures change the nature of the fats into something more difficult to digest and eliminate.
* Foods with a high glycemic index (processed white flours, sugars, etc.)

Fat itself isn't bad, in moderation, just don't heat it up really high, and choose high-quality olive oil or small amounts of flax oil on your salads. (Don't heat flax oil.)

Try to also avoid preservatives (they will hurt your digestion of foods -- plus who wants to eat "old food"??), food colorings (just makes average -- old -- food look better than it really is,) and artificial flavorings (ditto - makes average-tasting food seem to taste better.)

You don't have to go to great lengths to get enough protein unless you are doing muscle building exercise. If you are, there are many ways to get protein cheaper than by buying prepared vegetarian imitations of meat products.

A previous poster listed many good higher protein sources that are vegetarian.

I suggest taking a B12 supplement if you are cutting back on meat. Actually, B12 is a good supplement to take regardless.

Other supplements that can help with weight loss are Coenzyme Q10, Chromium Picolinate, and B6.

Another reason you might have gained weight during BBQ season is that BBQ sauce has a lot of sugar in it. Avoiding processed sugar, and the kind of carbs that have a high glycemic index will also help (white flour, white rice, processed sugar, etc.)

You can inadvertently train your body to become "insulin-resistant" by giving yourself high spikes of blood sugar every day. High blood sugar is very toxic to your body, so your body will pump out lots of insulin to keep it at just the right level to give you energy, but no more, and then it puts any extra into fat cells to get it out of the bloodstream. After a while, you will wear out your pancreas doing this (the organ that produces insulin) and also cause your entire body to respond to sugar differently (hypoglycemia being one of them, diabetes another.) Try to only eat very small amounts of sweet things at any given sitting. Better yet, save it for only an occasional snack once a week or so until you are more in control of your weight.

For instance, you can eat one 1 inch square of dark chocolate a day without spiking your blood sugar, and you can make that a part of your dinner. Don't eat the whole chocolate bar.
 Ideoform
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 4:09:31 PM
I forgot to mention, that alcohol has its own calories. A lot of calories. Alcohol is a carb! But they are "empty" calories, in that they actually require the body to come up with certain B vitamins and enzymes on its own to process it. So you are actually depleting your body of nutrients when you drink, while also adding calories. This is a double-whammy to your health, plus, the "depleted" feeling can make you crave more food, then.

Avoiding alcohol while dieting also can help you with your will-power. As alcohol can make you "forget" you are on a diet, particularly at parties where both alcohol and junk food is served.

Caffeine is another appetite stimulant. If you avoid caffeine, you will sleep better, as well as eat less.

Plan ahead!
Have a plan when you go out. Bring food with you some of the time, to have as a back-up in case everything served at a social event is a problem. Then the social event is more about the social and less about the food.

I find that bringing food (and/or drinks) to share with everyone that I can eat, and that I know everyone will like is a good thing.
 sgtljb
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 3:37:08 PM
You are a big guy that's a whole lot of greens to get the nutrients you need. it is possible but if you are a carnivore like myself you wont be happy.

If you seriously want to do this and be semi happy check out:

http://www.healthychefalex.com/index.htm

This is the wife of Morgan Spurlock - the supersize me guy...

She has excellent creative recipes that will keep you interested. at least for a little while till it gets too expensive or too time consuming making the hard recipes.

Will it work? (here is where I'm gonna get jumped on for being politically incorrect)
go to the village in NYC walk around look at the hippie vegetarians, most of them are not exactly tiny... As a vegetarian and a man you also have to worry about being anemic most vegetarians are.
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

If you decide you want to be a vegan read their bible lol :
The Face on Your Plate
The Truth About Food
Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Just please don't get all psycho and join PETA and start spray painting fur, picketing slaughterhouses and processing plants and try to ruin it for us carnivores... because if it comes down to it and you take away all our protein sources we will then have to eat the weak and frail anemic vegans...

that was a joke people, or was it... just laugh

Hope it helps....

Sincerely,

Louis J. Bianco
 arctor
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 3:24:52 AM
Nope you'll probably just eat more carbs, as no one really likes vegetable. Was vegetarian for a year or longer didn't loose any weight. eat smaller portions of food more often high protein low fat low carb high fiber No fizzy drinks (YES beer is sadly a fizzy drink) not even diet ones as they in no way aid weight loss. Muscle burns fat so do a bit of weight training if not do squats.

Good luck
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 6:09:31 AM
It isn't a Tool, It's is a Lifestyle you can choose or Compromise on - but those who don't eat fresh fruit & vegetables as part of their diet every day for life will regret
~sc~
 arwen52
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2009 1:21:23 PM
You know, you can have just as bad a diet being a vegetarian as being an omnivore. Fried foods, cheese, butter - all are vegetarian and high fat. Bananas are very high calorie.

Eating more vegetarian *can* be a healthier choice but it completely depends on the food choices you make. If you're substituting a grilled cheese sandwich for a burger, you probably haven't improved your diet at all. If you're substituting tofu and veggies, then yeah, you're substituting lower fat, higher fiber, less calorie dense foods for that burger and you'll be better off for it.
 Ideoform
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 4:00:20 PM

"I think that after listening to all of the advice, I am not going to go the Vegitarian Route. . . . Looks like portion control, more frequent meals, lower carbs, and continuing to keep off the red meat, soda, and sugar will do it for me."

There's this guy, Mark Bittman, who is a food journalist for the New York Times who has written a lot of books on food and cooking and has had his own TV series where he cooks with Chefs from around the world.

Over the years, he gained some weight and had some health problems after a while. He changed the way he ate, and lost the weight. His style of eating is socially responsible as well as being healthy, without being fanatical about it, and he's very particular that he eats food that tastes good, since he is a "foodie" (the term used to be "gourmande"). He explains a diet that is reasonable and well-thought-out, and includes some meats. You might try his style of eating. It includes more vegetarian type foods, but isn't vegetarian. I like what he calls it; "Lessmeatarianism." He doesn't advocate his way as "The Only Way" to do things...

His last book is called: "Food Matters"

http://www.markbittman.com/books/food-matters
 Ideoform
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 5:45:22 PM
I posted about the book "Food Matters" on another vegetarian thread months ago, but I guess it is OK to repeat it here. He just wrote an article for "Men's Health" called "The Carnivore's Guide To Vegetables."

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=nutrition&category=food.for.fitness&conitem=14842ba02ab65110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

And if you sign up for it on his site, you can get a 7-day meal plan in your e-mail from him.

I don't eat chicken much anymore, but I do prefer my chicken to have seen some daylight in its lifetime so it's not deficient in vitamin D.

I love putting eggplant, sweet corn, baked potatoes and portabella mushrooms on the grill. If you marinade them or put spices on them first, grilled veggies are quite delectable. Then I pig out on cherries and virgin Pina Coladas.
 pieomy
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/20/2009 1:50:06 PM
i wouldn't sacrifice meat to lose weight, just certain types like most red meat, or anything really fatty. Kinda a no brainer, eat more meals in a day with less content in each meal, and exercise..
 Belle Requin
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:44:10 PM
Considering a cup of shredded lettuce has 5 calories, go nuts and eat 20 portions worth for 100 calories worth in one sitting
I'll have my small portion of steak while you chew yourself silly. 100 calories per steak = approx. 3.5 grams of fat and 17 grams of protein

If you believe that people with canine teeth don't need much protein, sure, enjoy all the lettuce. I'll definitely take my steak, albeit perhaps on a bed of romaine. I do believe 1.5 ounces of steak will be digested much quicker than 20+ cups of lettuce.

And it's called a pluot.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/24/2009 11:20:59 AM
Is lettuce more easily digested than steak? Of course. But we're talking 1.5 oz of steak, vs. 20 cups of romaine. That's probably at least 4 heads of romaine. I'm quite sure that I'll digest 1.5 oz steak (which is more likely a piece of stewing meat than a steak) faster than I'll digest a head of lettuce.

I don't think Furhman was advocating eating 20 cups of lettuce at once. I think the steak vs. lettuce statement was intended more as an example to show how people's mindset is developed through ignorance and misinformation.
I think Fuhrman is creating ignorance and misinformation. Three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?