Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Birth Control Failure      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 1
Birth Control FailurePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have heard so many women claim they got pregnant on the pill, i wonder why the pill has not been recalled?
According to the American Pregnancy Association, and my OB/GYN, the pill has a 5% failure rate.

However, at my last mommy and me group, a discussion of birth control pill came up, and a woman stated she got pregnant on the pill. Then about 15 other woman started all chiming in "me too"!!!

Whilst DJ'ing in a strip club last night, one of the strippers was showing me photos of her new baby, her third one, and stated veyr loudly "THE PILL DOESNT WORK FOR ME"!!!! (Not that i had asked her to begin with.)
The little gaggle of sequined g-string clad dancers nearby all chimed in "OMG me too the pill didnt work for me either!!!".

I have also heard many women with children utter the same statement over the years.

Ok so at this point I call BS. How in the hell can the pill be failing SO MANY women???
And still be on the market?
Are these women just ashamed to admit they did NOT use birth control, for whatever reason, so they blame it on a faulty pack of pills?

My OB/GYN told me that even missing one or two pills usually will not result in a pregnancy, NOT that doing so is recommended.
I used the pill and never got pregnant using it. When i went off the pill, it took me 3 months to start ovulating again, and concieve my son.

Used in conjuction with a condom and a VCF sheet i would venture to say the chance to get pregnant is virtually the same as having been sterilised.

So, women and men who have had children and claim to have used the pill, did the pill really fail you? Why? What does your doctor say about that? Do you think the pill should be recalled? Do you now use a different form of birth control (IUD, depo, ortho-evra patch, etc)? Were you using the pill incorrectly, or did you ovulate despite the correct usage of the pill?
Do you still use the pill despite the claims that every other child walking this Earth is a result of pill failure?

Men, would you put faith in the pill? Are you secure enough in the pill working correctly that you do not use other forms of birth control, and thus leave your fatherhood in the hands of a birth control mehtod known to be failing at frightening rates?
 lorelei540
Msg: 2
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:25 AM
This is like asking people about their diet/exercise or about how much they donate to charity. People will tell you what they think the "right" answer is, rather than the truth.

Are these women just ashamed to admit they did NOT use birth control, for whatever reason, so they blame it on a faulty pack of pills?

It's a pretty easy target.

This is why I tell my boys that when they do become sexually active, THEY are responsible for birth control. No matter what the girl says, even if she is on the pill, even if she says she "can't" get pregnant for some reason, even if she says she's sensitive to condoms. Each individual person has to be responsible for his/her own health and family planning.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:48:58 AM
I was on the pill when I got pregnant with my second baby....but I had also not taken them properly :)
I missed 2 days, followed package directions and got knocked up lol

Was on the pill with our first child....took antibiotics for a bladder infection, got knocked up then too....

I'm sure if I had taken them properly I never would have had kids.....I'm very thankful I screwed up
 babydoll127
Msg: 4
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:25 AM
Go for the IUD!!

I have one (Mirena) and I LOVE it. It's a bit uncomfortable to get it put in, but the pain doesnt last long so it's worth it. It's good for 5 years, doesnt cause hormone imbalances,weight gain, and the requirement of taking a pill every day. If for some reason it does cause you problems, its taken out really easily...

Oh, and I havent gotten pregnant while on it so I guess its more effective than the pill!!

SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 5
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:01 AM
Thats amazing Nevaehs mom, thanks for sharing. I tried depo too and it screwed up my periods bigtime, i briefly used the ortho-evra patch, when i went to see my midwife for a post partum checkup she asked if i smoked prior to pregnancy, when i told her i did she almost literally ripped the patch off me, and prescribed a a low estrogen monophasic pill, both to regulate my cycle and protect from pregnancy(forget the name).

I was going to go for an IUD, but then my husband died shame on him, so didnt bother as i have no sex life now, but from what i read and hear an IUD is the way to go.
Protection for 5 years, no forgetting pills, and the rate of failure is only slighhtly higher than tubal ligation (i hear anyways not speaking from experience).
Definately going to get one if i meet someone i like. (Mirena)
THANKS BABYDOLL.
 zangie
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:39:44 AM
While I'm sure some women don't take it properly...

My mother had two pregnancies while on the pill..it just didn't work for her..and she took it properly..

I was on it for ten years...but, it turned I didn't need it due to a fibroid tumor I had that just kept getting bigger, and eventually caused an emergency hysterectomy...I don't believe I could have gotten pregnant even if I hadn't been taking it..

The pill isn't 100% effective across the board, but, I beleive it is the most effective as a stand alone method..and some women's bodies just don't respond to it as they should...several women I know just get the shots now...

I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore , one way or the other..lots less stress...
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 7
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:49:01 AM
Wow. I agree where the hell is the womens choice there?
have you heard of essure?

http://www.essure.com/discover/?s=4
 heterotic
Msg: 8
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:40 AM
Birth control failure on the pill is actually caused by user error. Missing just one pill can cause it not to work. A lot of women think it's ok to miss a few as long as you take them once you realize you forgot to.

Some women get pregnant on the pill because they have unprotected sex before it begins to work.

And then you should consider that the number of people who aren't saying I got pregnant on the pill is far greater than those that do, and these women may actually be telling the truth.

The mirena IUD has a > 1% failure rate when inserted properly and in place for more than 3 months. I still got pregnant (after I had it for 7 months), and when I did a google search for pregnancy with mirena inserted and it seemed like there were way too many women getting pregnant like I did for the statistics to be correct. But my findings on google didn't reveal the number of women who had mirena that didn't get pregnant, and that number would have been far greater.
 hyoid
Msg: 9
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:25:22 AM
My second son was conceived during a course of antibiotics, after missing 1 day.

If taken under a laboratory-like regimen, the pill is nearly 100% effective.
But I don't know anyone that lives in a laboratory.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:49:50 AM
I don't know why it still is as this seems to be common knowledge but for years, women's doctors were not informing them that the pill can be rendered totally ineffective if a woman is on antibiotics. If a woman takes antibiotics while on the pill they should use condoms or some other form of birth control. I was on antiotics at least once or twice a year, probably got lucky with the birth control.

Other women are more sensitive or whatever the clinical explanation would be and can get pregnant if they forget to take it. I could always double up when I forgot and never found myself pregnant.

I think there are some instances when the pill failed because of lack of information and others when people wound up pregnant because they didn't take their pills religiously or they were uber fertile and the pill didn't seem to do it's job, that 5%.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 10:23:13 AM
I remember being told that antibiotics affect the pill so to avoid sex or use condoms. But they were told at a clinic versus a hospital. i also agree it's more error on the user than the product. And when people go get their prescription, how often do you pay attention to what the pharmacist say or read the fine print on t he birth control regarding antibiotics, that's why they ask if you take any other meds, to see if it counterproductive to the pill.
 babydoll127
Msg: 12
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:11:49 AM
bosoxfaninwa...

UT OH! I'm a little scared now. I just did a google search after I read your story and found out that quite a few women have become pregnant on Mirena. I was pretty sure that the chances were rare but was a little disturbed at all the testimonials I saw. Can I ask you what happened with the pregnancy (if that's not too personal?) I know that chances of ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages is increased with someone on Mirena....

Uh I need to stop freaking out, I REALLY dont need another little bubba right now...
 tiffjean
Msg: 13
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:27:41 AM
I got pregnant on the pill. I was religious about taking it, too. That's because of all the other meds that I have to take. My OB/GYN said that the probable reason that I got pregnant on the pill is because I was taking the low dose version and my thyroid condition (that was undiagnosed at that time) rendered them useless. I am still taking the pill but now it is the traditional version. I am also backing it up with a healthy dose of abstinence, and in case that fails, I carry condoms in my purse. I can't afford another baby right now, so I am taking no chances.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:38:33 AM
When I was in college I had an ex girl friend ask if I would take her to the clinic because her BC the pill had failed her. This was a long time ex, not my kid in the oven, I was using the condoms even before the HIV scare made them more popular also. Any way I agreed to drive her and asked her WTF happened, I knew she was on the pill and remember her **** at me about all ways using a rain coat for just that reason. She told me her doctor had given her a prescription for acne and it effected the pill. I have since heard the same thing more then once, but now the drug companies have gotten smarter about warning of drug counter actions. There are lots that can effect the pill. I told her she should think about legal action, but she said it was hard for her to even ask me for a ride to the clinic and just wanted to get the stuff over with. With birth control the more used the better, but knowing probabilities if there is a chance of a failure the longer an action is done the more likely it a failure will happen. I know two men who had vasectomies that did not take, one of the wife's divorced him because he insisted on a dna test when she told him the news. It was his kid dna check and all. None of the BC options is 100% even the abstinence one, just ask the people that believe the virgin marry story; well okay that one might work, just some people don't think so lol.
 heterotic
Msg: 15
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:15:22 PM

Where does it say "laboratory" anywhere in the directions? I'd like to know why doctors don't tell women about antibiotics.

When you get a prescription antibiotics, it says right in the information that it COULD interfere with the hormones in your birth control pills (among other things), but to consult your doctor if you are unsure. It's less common than women make it out to be. Just like a previous poster said she got pregnant on a course of antibiotics, she missed a pill. Birth control doesn't work if you do not use it properly.

I don't know anyone who has gotten pregnant on the pill because of antibiotics. I do know three women that lie and say they did, though.
 heterotic
Msg: 16
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:25:33 PM

UT OH! I'm a little scared now. I just did a google search after I read your story and found out that quite a few women have become pregnant on Mirena. I was pretty sure that the chances were rare but was a little disturbed at all the testimonials I saw. Can I ask you what happened with the pregnancy (if that's not too personal?) I know that chances of ectopic pregnancies and miscarriages is increased with someone on Mirena....

Uh I need to stop freaking out, I REALLY dont need another little bubba right now...

If you read on most of those women became pregnant either because of IUD expulsion, dislodged IUD, had only had it for 3 months or less (the hormones can take longer to affect the uterine lining of some women) or their stories are so wonky with holes that it is probably a lie. My doctor told me that what happened to me was incredibly rare and that I was THE FIRST patient she had this happen to under the circumstances that it really did fail. To be failure it has to be properly inserted and still in place (not at all dislodged), and has to have been in place for at least 3 months. She still has no idea how the embryo got to my uterus when the IUD should have been blocking it. The company has had no explanation of how this is possible and sent me a "free" spa kit for my troubles (wow, thanks I now paid $700 for a spa kit.)

My boyfriend and I had not been having sex regularly (about once a month at the time) and it just happened that ONE time fell in the middle of my cycle right before I ovulated. For me, the hormones in Mirena just had no effect on me whatsoever. This also indicates that there are certain birth control pills that will not work for me either, so it has been a learning experience.

Don't be worried about your Mirena. If you've had it for a while and not became pregnant, you won't. It really does work for 99.98% of women. Just happens that I am in the .02% that it fails on.
 heterotic
Msg: 17
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:49:21 PM

I didn't know that antibiotics came with that on the label, thanks for the info.
Nobody ever reads the 27 page documents that comes with their prescriptions, lol.

However, I'm fairly certain that the most common antibiotics do not affect any birth control pills. It used to be thought that amoxicillin, penicillin and other antibiotics interfered with the metabolizing of birth control pills. This information is incredibly outdated, and new studies suggest the difference is less than 1% in effectiveness. Also, by this logic, getting the flu or diarrhea would cause birth control to fail. The only antibiotic which has a slightly higher difference in effectiveness is rifampin, which is used to treat high-resistant bacterias that cause TB and meningitis. I highly doubt someone who is sick enough to get a prescription for rifampin is going to be having sex. And if someone tells you they got pregnant on a rifampin regimen, know that rifampin is considered pregnancy class C by the FDA. This means it can harmful to a baby's prenatal development, and can cause harm to a baby that is breastfeeding. A woman on rifampin won't be having unprotected sex, if she has it at all.

Even women who get pregnant from missing pills have to do it on a regular basis. Saying I only missed one pill after I had been on it for years is unlikely. For one, if you take it religiously, you aren't going to miss one, ever. Second, studies show that a woman who has been on the same birth control for at least 3 months can miss 10 pills and not ovulate.

I haven't been on antibiotics in 5 years, so who knows if they still print the information on there.
 heterotic
Msg: 18
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:37 PM

I don't know of a woman yet who has sucessfully used the patch. Out of all 4 women I know, all 4 got pregnant.

The patch is very dangerous, and they don't even offer it at my OBGYN.

http://www.center4research.org/wmnshlth/2008/OrthoEvra.html
 babydoll127
Msg: 19
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:30:44 PM
thank you bosoxfaninwa for the clarification...

I had my original one suddenly expel itself 2 years after insertion but luckily I knew what was happening. Ive had my second one in for about a year with no problems and I check it once a month for peace of mind. I really like it though cause I dont have to take any pills or worry about it really. Oh and my periods stopped completely so that's a bonus! :)
 heterotic
Msg: 20
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:47:14 PM

I had my original one suddenly expel itself 2 years after insertion but luckily I knew what was happening. Ive had my second one in for about a year with no problems and I check it once a month for peace of mind. I really like it though cause I dont have to take any pills or worry about it really. Oh and my periods stopped completely so that's a bonus! :)

Your periods stopping is a good indicator it is working. My cycles didn't change at all.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:44 PM
I'm way more careful about birth control when I'm not on the Pill, probably because I actually have to think about it.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 22
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:28 PM
I noticed years ago that someone AIN'T telling the truth about the pill as BC and I'm pretty sure it's NOT the drug companies.

Think about it.... 99.7% effective if used properly is what the drug companies claim. For the mathmatically challenged, that's 3 possibilities for every 1000 times a woman has sex....

... and, given that 990 times most women have sex with her partner is in the first six months to a year, and the rest of the times happen in the next 10-20 years, the odds of having an accidental pregnancy become astronomical.....

Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 23
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/17/2009 3:35:54 PM

I wonder if some of the women who claim they became pregnant while on the pill actually have to come to believe it themselves, because they've usually said it so many times to so many people.

I think Plausible Deniability is an important fallback position for many women to excuse a number of less than exemplary behaviours they engage in, so yeah, I think many do say it until they believe it.

I admire the women in this thread who've been honest about their lack of diligence.

carolann0308
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:03:01 PM

Where does it say "laboratory" anywhere in the directions? I'd like to know why doctors don't tell women about antibiotics

I took the pill back in the mid 80's and it was all right there in the pamphlets and information my Dr gave me. WebMD is great these days to help you understand failures medications can have to common things like Grapefruit juice for example.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 25
Birth Control Failure
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:26:32 PM
know this isn't strictly relevant to the joke you were making, but when there are claims made that a form of birth control is 99.7% effective, that is per year, not per incident of sex.

Holy Shit! In THAT case women are getting one fvck of a lot of sex every year for so many to have those Unlucky 3 to show up so frequently.....

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Birth Control Failure