Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The First Ammendment is now called "low-level terrorism" in the US.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The First Ammendment is now called "low-level terrorism" in the US.Page 1 of 1    
One more step to Fascism in the US. Would love to hear other's opinions on this piece of the slippery slope. President Obama could stop this but I am wondering where he is. Most of my friends are "low-level terrorists" under this new definition.

http://open.salon.com/blog/dennis_loo/2009/06/14/dod_training_manual_protests_are_low-level_terrorism
The Department of Defense is training all of its personnel in its current Antiterrorism and Force Protection Annual Refresher Training Course that political protest is "low-level terrorism."

The Training introduction reads as follows:

"Anti-terrorism (AT) and Force Protection (FP) are two facets of the Department of Defense (DoD) Mission Assurance Program. It is DoD policy, as found in DoDI 2000.16, that the DoD Components and the DoD elements and personnel shall be protected from terrorist acts through a high pirority, comprehensive, AT program. The DoD's AT program shall be all encompassing using an integrated systems approach."

The first question of the Terrorism Threat Factors, "Knowledge Check 1" section reads as follows:

Which of the following is an example of low-level terrorism activity?

Select the correct answer and then click Check Your Answer.

O Attacking the Pentagon

O IEDs

O Hate crimes against racial groups

O Protests

The "correct" answer is Protests.

A copy of this can be found on the last two pages of this pdf.

The ACLU learned of this training and on June 10, 2009 sent a letter to the Gail McGinn, Acting Under-Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, objecting to their training all DoD personnel that the exercise of First Amendment rights constitutes "low-level terrorism."
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The First Ammendment is now called low-level terrorism in the US.
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:35:12 PM
My peace loving friends, including many veterans are now deemed "terrorists" by the US government for simply assembling, carrying signs, and petitioning the government to not do certain stupid things.

Or as Charles put it so eloquently,
"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence." --Charles A. Beard

Martin Luther King, the entire civil rights movement, the entire environmental movement and yes, the tea baggers, are now "terrorists". Don't like an incinerator in your back yard..."terrorist". Don't like this or that and congregate to let your voices heard..."terrorist". This is McCarthyism with an attitude and superior firepower.

Get it now?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:38:50 PM
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Assembly and petition are now "terrorism".
 SAguy_06
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:34:25 PM

You want to translate that to English? what the hell are you trying to say with this thread?

Its usually customary to read the artical at the provided link...
 Pyro74
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:14 PM
The US government has always considered protests as low level terrrorism. But they know that the people have the right to protest, so they just back and "watch."
 AwP
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:09:34 PM
It's very sad, I await the revolution...

...Oh crap, the feds are busting through my windows right now, SEND HEL-
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:14:06 PM
Its good to have a healthy fear and suspiscion of the Government...as they do towards us.

Its the real checks and balance.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:40:47 AM

The "correct" answer is Protests.

And it IS the right answer.

The ACLU learned of this training and on June 10, 2009 sent a letter to the Gail McGinn, Acting Under-Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, objecting to their training all DoD personnel that the exercise of First Amendment rights constitutes "low-level terrorism."

Sorry, but the ACLU is a bit out to lunch on this one.

You need to take into account the audience, and exactly what they're talking about. Those documents are not talking about protests in the USA or other western countries, where political protests are part and parcel of the democratic tradition.

The audience for these documents are those people who will be sent to parts of the world that have no democratic traditions, and politics are not as they are here. In those parts of the world where the American military are sent, and actual, live, real, spontaneous "peaceful demonstration" basically doesn't exist (yes, there will always be exceptions).
Demonstrations are almost always organized by political groups with guns, who have a violent agenda (that's why the troops are there in the first place).

First - has anybody here ever had a course in crowd control techniques? The next time you see a demonstration somewhere on the tv, take a look at the fringes and back of the crowd. If you look carefully, you will be able to see a few individuals directing the action. If the protest is in Gaza against Israili occupation, you can be pretty sure that those individuals are Hezbollah. If the demonstration is in Belfast protesting British Rule, you can be pretty sure that those people are IRA. So on, and so forth. Bingo - you just identified a few people who are members of the organization in question.

Second - they are talking about INDICATORS. As I mentioned in a different thread, intelligence seldom gives you smoking gun evidence - the best you can hope for, in most cases, is a balance of probabilities. This, combined with information from other sources, can (surprisingly) quickly give you a pretty good handle on who's who, who needs to be watched, and who does NOT need to be watched.

This has nothing to do with the American constitution, or any of it's amendments, in any way, shape or form. The reaction of the ACLU is over the top, and obviously politically motivated. It has no basis in reality.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:33:05 AM
We really try to use military and intelligence in the same sentence without scoffing after the Iraq debacle. I understand your alliance to that community Gorshkov, but must disagree.

If the documents were not also domestic in nature, why would the Pentagon attack be one of the options, or racial hate crimes?

This has everything to do with the US constitution as well as human rights around the world. I know folks who were pre-emptively arrested before the Republican National Convention for thought crimes or people thinking they had thought crimes. I know folks who have been harrassed, profiled, spied on, and detained for nothing more than peacefully expressing opposition to Bush's oil wars. And let us not even get into the Uighers and the untold thousands detained in US gulags around the world.

Not that long ago we supposedly championed democracy around the world. The USA V 2.0 no longer pretends. Sucking up to the propoganda will not always protect you.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 3:28:08 AM

We really try to use military and intelligence in the same sentence without scoffing after the Iraq debacle.

The problem was not with the intelligence. The problem was with people not understanding the uncertainty of intelligence in general, and their wilful misinterpretation of it.

I understand your alliance to that community Gorshkov, but must disagree.

What alliance? Most people don't understand intelligence - what it can, and almost more importantly, what it CANNOT do.
If you see something wrong with what I said, then please point to the statement and tell me WHY it was wrong.

This has everything to do with the US constitution as well as human rights around the world.

The US Constitution has absolutely zero to do with the accuracy of certain predictors used in other parts of the world.

This has everything to do with the US constitution as well as human rights around the world. I know folks who were pre-emptively arrested before the Republican National Convention for thought crimes or people thinking they had thought crimes. I know folks who have been harrassed, profiled, spied on, and detained for nothing more than peacefully expressing opposition to Bush's oil wars. And let us not even get into the Uighers and the untold thousands detained in US gulags around the world.
None of which have anything to do with the accuracy of certain predictors used in other parts of the world.

Sucking up to the propaganda will not always protect you.

And not knowing how to tell the difference between an explanation of something and an attempt to propagandize won't help you, either.

If you think something I said was wrong, please quote it and tell me WHY what I said was wrong. Making sweeping generalizations while not addressing what I said, and casting aspersions on my motives and intelligence, doesn't accomplish a damned thing.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:16:23 AM
I was growing up durring the Watergate Era...When did we start accepting everything the Government tells us?

Is it our TV mentality, where everything is expalined to us in 30 mins...Where the cops never have the Wrong guy?

How did we become so accepting of what we are Told. By anybody
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:02:07 PM
I grew up during McCarthyism. I grew up around people who took some pride in being free-thinkers and not given to political affiliations, voting instead for people. My grandparents were 2nd generation Americans and often convened discussions on Saturday night around the table with family and friends. Most were light and full of laughter, but on a few occasions, laying under the table or listening through the vent upstairs, darker tones and lack of laughter caught my attention. I was trying to grok what they were talking about, but mostly remember the deep concern in their voices, phrases like "it's happening here now", "why didn't we learn" and other things that took years to fully understand. Their grandparents and parents left Germany and Switzerland before both world wars. Family returned to the homelands to fight people with the same last names. It really pained them. My uncle never got over the Battle of the Bulge, and died young from self-punishment.

Watergate was a wakeup call in the time of Americans shooting unarmed protesters at places like Kent State, enemies lists, spying on citizens, infiltration, and personal repercussions for political stances. With the downfall of Nixon, Haldeman and the gang, and exposure of such excess in the administration, we had a generation that thought that we fixed all that...yet again...and it would never happen again.

Many factors led us back to the age of gullibility. For me, I feel that the treadmills of the American Weigh, working so much we cannot find time to be free-thinkers and seek out alternate views of presented reality have much to do with the current situation. Spoon fed and dumbed down media replaced Woodward and Bernstein. Some papers and TV networks again became tools of the ruling class and fear is always the great unifying force for whatever new needed enemy du jour is needed. We did suffer mightily, an enemy deficit after Gorby "Torn down that wall". Our military always suffers when we have an enemy diffecit, as do most people.

This subject probably deserves it's own thread...ie. "Gullibles Travels in the US."
I thought Paul Craig Roberts hit a few nails on the head in thinking about it.
http://www.antiwar.com/roberts/?articleid=9216
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The First Ammendment is now called "low-level terrorism" in the US.