Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Why do political threads turn into name calling and insults ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do political threads turn into name calling and insults ?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
If someone is 'political' do they have to debate to the death (literally) ?

If only they literally did.

It would certainly save so many people from wearing out the scroll wheels on their mice in the future.
 privat33r
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why do political threads turn into name calling and insults ?
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:34 PM
Its because political events are distanced from our regular interactions; polarized views have no natural correcting forces. Being right or wrong has zero effect on our day to day lives as few of us have direct experience making and observing the unreported and corallary effects of high level political decisions. When there are no stakes the ante can climb to any level.

Or course I could be very wrong; I've never got why the weather channel keeps focusing on rain, snow and the outdoors either.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:35:54 AM
I love discussing politics and bashing Labour being a Conservative Supporter
when ever possible but don't on here much due to the points raised in the opening post

Whats the point in getting your point across if the thread is going to end up deleted?

I've never seen a topic on the BNP last long due to all the name calling and insults.

So its not surprising really that there not welcome on the UK forum and always removed.

The threads as well as the posters that is!
 restless_native
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 7:21:30 AM
I have two boys who tackle arguments in two entirely different ways. It is just like reading the threads sometimes.

The older boy starts with, "I know everything there is to know cos I am older than you."

The younger says, "Did you know this fact that refutes your proposition?"

Older boy says, "The person who came up with that fact is not to be believed because I don't agree."

Younger boy, "Why don't you agree?"

Older boy, "Why don't you listen? I told you I don't agree because the person who said that fact is not to be believed."

Attach those methods of debate to the intense threads on here and see how well they fit - at least when I read them I don't have the shouting that accompanies my sons' arguing though!

In the case of t'interweb google is firmly to blame.

Being able to use a search engine isn't the same as being knowledgeable about a subject. Especially when a person only searches for information to support their misguided opinions.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Why do political threads turn into name calling and insults ?