Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Celibate since April, 1992      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ted Michael
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Celibate since April, 1992Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have been celibate (if you don't count the self entertainment from time to time) since I was 49 years old. Because of medication for depression, I did not usually notice this condition. But it seems odd to have not made love for so long, especially after having been married for over two decades to a lustly woman.

I stopped making love after we separated. I never expected to go so long. I date and I enjoy life, but still this feels odd. I would not have believed that I would have enjoyed life without making love, but I have.

Have any of you similar experiernces?
 MsMicki
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Celibate since April, 1992
Posted: 6/18/2009 4:48:39 AM

Good God No!!
 mogrl42
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:01:19 AM
After I got divorced I decided that my very young children needed me more than I needed a man in my Life and before I knew it 5 years went by.
I would never ever go that long without great sex again.
 farceur
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:12:52 AM
For me it's been years and I would be content if I never got laid again, except I want a new last time better than my current last time. I just want to upgrade the memory. After that, all done, no regrets, and good riddance to reproduction and it's bag of tricks. It's called accepting the inevitable without fuss and bother. Well, unless you count my posts as fuss and bother. My last time at sex will be with a hooker if I can figure out how to hire one without getting busted. One of these days. It's not a pressing need. The memory isn't that bad. It's more the person than what happened.

The thing about sex is, women can't live up to the expectations it creates. Maybe in their eyes, neither can men.
 deerdog1
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:28:29 AM
to answer your question ..NO NO NO ...now lets delve into this a bit more ... you mentioned Medications for depression ... I an not a doctor or a psychiatrist but through my life I have dealt with depression ...to the point of being suicidal ...and have almost fell into what I believe is the trap of medications ...but having seen the results of depression meds on relatives ...I chose not to take meds ..and to deal with my depression on my own ... Im not saying everyone should do this ..but everyone I know who takes meds for depression or other psychological issues ..becomes dependent on the meds ..and the side effects are not conductive to recovery ...so I have dealt with my depression without meds and I will say it wasnt easy at times but ... as time goes on it gets easier ..I didnt need a shrink to tell me i was bipolar ...No hell I am multi polar .... but I believe that we all have what it takes to deal with our issues within us ..yes I used sex as a crutch for my issues ..but I truly think that if I had took meds that took away my sex ..then suicide would have become a more attractive option ..I found that in times of my worse depression ...I needed to go back to things that gave me joy in my early life before the depression ... and sex was one of these joys ...nature and solitude was another ...fishing ..hiking ..canoeing ...motorcycle riding and just being one with nature ..a walk in the woods ..gave me peace and allowed me to put things in order in my mind ..oh yea and sex too
 TooShadows
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:32:55 AM
Well I was a late bloomer and had some issues,and I didn't lose my virginity till I was in my early 30's. Guess you could count those years as being celibate.
 wintersucks63
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:54:51 AM
17 years!!!!!!!! holy sh*t!!! there's no way I could do that regardless of my health, gotta have sex!!!!

The longest I've gone is 3 years and that was all I could take......................
 Heathen Chemistry
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:27:37 AM
You are like a virgin. Wow.
 ICQRUCKING2
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:37:22 AM
Ridiculous....Id rather be depressed and have great sex than be drugged and celibate for 17 years??!!
 Zebra Circle
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:41:36 AM

Absolutely NOT!

I would have to ask: How did you ever keep yourself from going insane?!

I think I would have had thoughts of suicide by December 1992.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:53:09 AM
Im with Ms.Micki here and saying ,"Good God,no"....

The older ive become the more sex ive had............

I need "it" .......like oxygen.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~``~~~~~~`~~`
 LovinLife_01
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/18/2009 7:00:51 AM

Good God No!!

Yeah, what she said!

I have went for a while, and I survived....but I choose not to do so ever again unless medical reasons of course.
 Gigglemepink
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/18/2009 7:25:04 AM
Not nearly as long as you. I hated sex, so I stopped having it. I'm much happier since then. AND when I had sex I always had the urge to stab the guy. That anger has gone away too since I stopped.

I also am now on meds and I would rather be celibate for the rest of my life than feel the anger and hatred I felt before the meds and while having sex.
 Ted Michael
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 8:10:01 AM
Gosh, I am beginning to feel more than a bit or a freak. I do miss making love-intensely. But it was good back when.
 Ted Michael
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 8:14:50 AM
Who says that I am not insane? I don't think I am, but I do miss making love.
 miss_contemplative
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 9:04:26 AM
I've gone up to a year without a sex partner and that was about it. As I age though, I have noticed that the urgency to have it isn't there like it was in my twenties (omg...talk about hormones!). While I enjoy more masturbation than I ever did, the hormones don't control me like they used to and I can actually think straight now. Awesome.

I do think I get a bit bytchy though when I'm not sexually active. I hate that part.

Right now I'm a bit overweight and it's bothering me, so when I get like this, I don't feel comfortable exposing myself to someone new so I manage to get by without. Some days I feel skin starved...but I manage it by keeping busy--except when I'm here sitting on my arse which I'm doing right now LOL!

OP...Some people just don't feel the need to have sex partners as they age. That the medication is suppressing your sex drive only reinforces your lack of need. It does sound though like you are enjoying companionship. I have heard of older couples not needing to have sex in order to show affection and that they enjoy productive and enjoyable relationships without it.

While I can't imagine that for myself, I can see how it would be okay for some. I think that as long as you feel happy with yourself, that's what counts.
 Sidewinder154
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/18/2009 10:15:51 AM
OP - you are NOT a freak. As much as many of us really enjoy sex and can't fathom 17 years without it, I don't believe anyone has ever actually DIED from not having sex.

The longest I ever went was about 18 months. I wasn't on any medication but was in a very very depressed state and was going through my "all men are spineless worthless pigs" phase. I got by on the occasional "self love" bit but wanted nothing to do with sex with another person!! I just didn't miss it during that time. Now granted 18 months is a far cry from 17 years.... but my point is this. Don't let anyone make you feel like you're wierd or a freak or unnatural because of your situation. If you miss sex, then find yourself someone to fill that need whether it's a long term relationship, fling, whatever. If you can live without it and it's not bothering you all that much, then don't stress it. Live your life how you see fit.
 Spoken For
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 10:20:26 AM
The anti-depressants will kill your sex drive. Are you still taking them? I don't think I'd like "going without" for that long, but if it works for you, so be it.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 10:37:04 AM
I'm about to take up a collection to get a hooker for you man! That is just a sad, sad, REALLY sad thing! Please do us all a favor and go get laid before you get DSB (deadly sperm buildup), hell you probably already have it and if/when you are ever with a woman again ... you might kill her! Whatever you do, don't let a woman give you head the first time you do end up having sex. A condition like that is likely to blow the back of her head clean off!
 TedJMill
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 10:39:03 AM
I'm 50 years old, and I've been celibate (not counting self entertainment) all my life, including the year or so when I first dated, then lived with, my girlfriend. I've just never been interested in a sexual relationship with anyone.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:01:46 AM
Dude you're not a freak, but you should really put some thought into getting IT done. Even if you gotta take a large amount of cash and head to New Orleans during Mardi Gras or something. It sounds to me like you're finding it increasingly fustrating.
Not to make light of your situsation, but it sounds like a good premis for a reality TV show, Ted Micheals gets his groove back! You could start with a group of 12 ladies that are willing to help you with your problem and slowly eliminate down to one. The two of you could be flown off to Tahiti for a weekend.
Hey,pitch it to MTV, couldn't hurt!
 OneMoondance
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:36:54 AM
Celibacy for the sake of choosing to be celibate is a personal choice. Not one I've ever made, but some do and are content.
Being celibate due to medication is something quite different. If you don't want to be celibate, but lack a sex drive, talk to your health care provider and explore different medications options. Lack of a sexual relationship can add to the feelings of depression.
 CosmicMisfitJon
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:05:55 PM
I suffer from depression...much of it for lack of almost any sexual intimacy...since 1971. I recently turned 38 and I'm a virgin (at least the Clinton definition) because I'm terrible with women and so I joined 23 dating sites at the same time but still no luck. My last kiss was 2 years ago with a stranger at a concert who I tried to keep in touch with via email but she never responded.
 PDX Guy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:16:10 PM
Hm. Nah. I pretty much try to have as much sex as possible. It's.......fun.
 LuvTravl
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:27:09 PM
You are not alone. I don't know about meds. But I do know that years can roll into one another and before you know it you can't believe how much time has passed. Today is a new day and you are alive. Anything is possible.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Celibate since April, 1992