Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > LRO/LCROSS on its way      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stargazer1000
Msg: 1
LRO/LCROSS on its wayPage 1 of 1    
Well, they've successfully launched both missions toward the moon with the aim ultimately being to pave the way for human habitation. The mission includes close up study of the moon and impacts to dredge up material from the surface. Here's hoping it works.
 desertrhino
Msg: 2
view profile
History
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:03:20 PM
oh i just hope it all turns out great. i would love to live on a crater filled land with no available water and vegitation. this is a place i could call home. this life i live i thought could never get any better, but now i know it really can and it really will. thanks a bunch. here have a pickle on me. well its really a banana but we can pretend.

Since only the best, brightest, and possibly richest will be spending any time on the moon for the foreseeable future, you're safe. Trust me. Edit: Oh, I'm sorry... I misunderstood your "sour grapes" for actual disdain.

Stargazer: totally cool. I'm really looking forward to the results.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 3
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:06:32 PM
Uuummmmm....yeah. Okay pickle. So don't put you down for that little cottage place in Mare Crisium, then. No worries.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 4
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:06:40 PM
Uuummmmm....yeah. Okay pickle. So don't put you down for that little cottage place in Mare Crisium, then. No worries.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 5
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:00:25 AM
Yeah, damn those rich and priveleged; they're not too good to die with the rest of the species when the comet hits.

Oh...wait and minute...wouldn't that mean the species would become extinct?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 6
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/23/2009 3:07:33 PM
LRO and LCROSS both had their rendezvous with the moon today. And both at an ungodly hour of the morning! Seriously, can we not find a better time of day? Oh well. Get ready for some amazing science from the moon in the coming months.
 desertrhino
Msg: 7
view profile
History
LRO/LCROSS on its way
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:10:09 PM

If only the moon had something called an electromagnetic feild you might be able to live there without living under a 2 inch thick shell of solid lead.

Strange how the astronauts didnt come back extra crispy I dont think their space suits were rated for radiation but meh....go america for landing on the moon first!

It doesnt rotate either its locked in place by our gravity so one side is sub zero and the other is scortched. Look how hot the desert is on earth and that is only exposed to the sun part time, and we have an atmosphere to regulate temperatures. The moon is the same distance from the sun as earth minus or plus a negligable amount. Imagine the sahara desert with the sun never setting.

Uninhabitable, ever. Its a gravity well to keep the oceans from sloshing all over the continents and stabilize the earths orbit. That is its only purpose

Wow. Talk about an ignorant and uninformed statement. You'd be perfectly fine under a few inches of rock, and it's mostly the atmosphere that protects us, in addition to our magnetic field, but hey, let's not let facts intrude.

I'm going to take the second statement to be support for the "Capricorn One" conspiracy theory.

As for Luna not rotating, well, you're flat wrong. It rotates once every 27 days, 8 hours and about 45 minutes. If the side facing us was always illuminated, "Sahara with the sun never setting," it would always be a full moon, now wouldn't it?

The last statement about gravity, preventing the oceans from sloshing (actually, Luna is responsible for what little 'sloshing' there is), etc... is just dumb.

Read. Learn. Educate yourself. As they say, "Don't believe EVERYTHING you think."
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > LRO/LCROSS on its way