Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating cliches      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Dating clichesPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
walks on the beach, of course. i loved the take on this i read in one gal's profile: if it were true, every beach would be packed with couples trudging back and forth and trying desperately to keep the conversation going.

10. The gratuitous boob shot.

dude, are you nuts? how can you find ANYTHING wrong with this? a smart woman knows the most honest, classy gentlemen ever birthed still love to get an eyeful (and handful).
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 3
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 4:17:18 PM
The one's that say "I never know what to say on these profile thingys so just message me if you want to know something."
... ummm, kinda hard to start a conversation with "Wow, you have nothing on your profile that I can relate too." Tends to ruin the whole introductory kind of stuff.

"I love to laugh."
... yeah, but at what? 99.99% of the people on here like to laugh, how does that make you different and unique?

"I'm a mom of a (insert what kind and how many of kids here) and they are my life."
... kind of doesn't leave any room for anyone else now does it.

OMG ... the list can go on forever. I just wish people could be more original!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 6
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 5:29:42 PM
I thought dating was a cliche.....
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 7
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 6:29:07 PM

"Im looking for a fun, intelligent and down to earth woman"

-----No you're not. You just want to get your dik wet.

"Im a funny guy and love making people laugh"

-----Of course you think you're funny. Everyone thinks they're funny.

OUCH! LOL!
 celts123
Msg: 8
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 7:42:08 PM
I'm sick of the bar / club scene.
I'm looking for a real man ( woman ).
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 9
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 9:44:43 PM

It's funny how nearly EVERYONE on here is "Laid back, easy going, very honest (almost brutally honest), hates drama and players, likes to travel, likes the beach, their kids will always come first, want someone who is financially stable....."

I don't disagree, but would it be better if we said, "High strung, neurotic, incapable of honesty, lives for drama, has a weakness for players, never leaves the house, has a water/sand phobia, ignores children and looking for someone living out of their car"?

Probably not, right?

I think everything about dating is a cliche, but part of me still likes to date.
 BrickCharm City
Msg: 10
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/23/2009 11:35:17 PM

10. The gratuitous boob shot.

What about a gratuitous booty shot? I had one of those up for a few days (by accident).

I like long walks on the beach, candle lit, fireplaces.... Yeah okay cliche factory, next.

Don’t forget “likes to give massages” …No you like to feel people up. I like to give massages because I went to school and paid money to learn how to do it properly.

The walks on the beach get to me too. Mostly because I see this from people who live nowhere near a beach.

Right, what beach are you walking on and you live in a land locked city?

I am like next and the "must love animals" line. Why do I have to love animals? I would rather eat them.

I have two furballs so if you hate animals then it’s probably not gonna work. I don’t have this in my profile but I do mention that I have two pets. You don’t have to “love” them but you have to at least be able to tolerate them.
 ileft
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:33:12 AM
.How can you be single you're such a great catch?

.I just wanna take it day by day and see where it goes (after 8 months of dating this starts to get old!)

.I just wanna have some fun and not having anything too serious (Not what you said when we first started dating).

I hate all the dishonesty I mean why can't people just save a lot of headache and time wasting and be honest. Less chance of feelings being hurt in the long run also.
 ileft
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:08:42 AM
My goodness when you read some of these looks like we have had some pretty bad dating experiences people can be so damn shallow lol. As the to the post just before the last thanx hun lol I agree with you also no one no matter who they are can have fun 24/7 surely being able to enjoy things is being able to get through the sticky times and have a laugh at the end of it all.

Other ones I hate:

. I'm not sure what i'm looking for at the moment (if that's the case then why look at all!! take some time out to be single!)

. So many women have treated me badly and I don't know where I stand (I'm being honest with you, do all the things you say you like and you're still not happy!!! There's just no pleasing some people I see lol)
 ileft
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:18:20 AM

"I am attractive / pretty / good looking" etc. Your perception of your looks is irrevelant. It can come off as being arrogant as well.

I hate that one also I mean beauty, attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder. I mean nine times out of ten when i get that in a message from a guy aI don't find him attractive at all lol. It is very off putting.
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 14
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:41:19 AM
I hate "queen looking for my king." Baby, I'm no king, you ain't no queen, and if either of us were we wouldn't be on here.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 15
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 10:02:29 AM

I hate "queen looking for my king." Baby, I'm no king, you ain't no queen, and if either of us were we wouldn't be on here.

Actually... the implication that only 'losers' need to be here on a dating site bugs the hell out of me. None of us NEEDS to be here. We all figure we should use every available means to get whatever the hell it is that we want... nothing 'loser' about that.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 16
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/24/2009 10:28:39 PM
I don't know why but "lives life to the fullest" has always irked me. I mean, don't we ALL pretty much do that?

I also hate it when I see a woman looking for "financially secure" man. While I can understand seeking someone who is employed and not living off of their parents (or welfare), I have always found this phrase to be annoying. My thought is always, "At this point, my financial situation is none of your business!"

And finally.... "I'm a cup half full type of person." Grrrrrrrr
 RobertKoi
Msg: 17
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/25/2009 4:06:57 AM
"Dating cliches"
---------
Well, one thing that a lot of people probably don't do well enough is listen, and that includes myself from time to time. My most recent experience, or rejection rather, was "I'm not ready to let someone into my life," followed up by a bunch of other statements such as "I'm not dating right now," etc. etc. In other words: what the person is trying to get across is that he/she simply has no wish to see you right there and then. Of course the statements might just as well be true but if you don't listen you'll be deluding yourself and you stick around, hoping that he/she will change. In my case however, the way that she came out, simply threw me off completely. Her words suddenly had no meaning anymore and we got closer. One day I had to question our "situation" and I confronted her. I told her that my intention wasn't to make friends and she understood that I wanted more than that. In the end, a friendship was all that she wanted. Now I'm avoiding her as part of my attempt to get her out of my head. She doesn't text or call me, neither do I. I allowed my pride to take a serious blow and contacting her now probably wouldn't change anything.
 Inner_Glow
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:43:58 PM
Hey Pashune, seeing that you live in Mississippi, I wouldn't be too surprised that 4 wheeling, fishing, all that country sort of stuff for interests are prevalent on people's profiles.

Heck, I am from St. Louis, and I gotta weed through a lot of that too.
 thwipp89
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/26/2009 3:28:57 AM
seems like 90% of women say they have a "sarcastic" sense of humor. i rarely see that to be true. and most women seem to like scary movies (i don't). the "no games" thing is an all-time classic and usually a big, fat lie =)
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 20
Dating cliches
Posted: 6/26/2009 3:05:25 PM

l can't believe no one has said "l look/act young for my age" like there is an accepted norm for that

That's just the way that someone who is really immature makes it seem like a positive.
 Sherlock101
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 8/10/2009 9:51:26 AM
Body Type: Prefer not to say.
Do you have children? Prefer not to say.
Profession: I have one.
Smarts: N/A

About me:

I don't like to talk about myself so just write me and ask. If your just looking for a booty call pass me by.

Pictures: Blurry shot, no full body shot and a of coarse a few melon patch shots.

This was all from one profile but fits many...
 Bookbelle
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:23:01 AM
"I don't know what to put here... /if you want to know, just ask me"... if you can't independently think of something to say about yourself, then I'm wondering how you're going to come up with answers if I do go ahead and ask.

Then there was one guy who even put up a picture of him in the bath. No... just, no.

"Prefer not to say".
 Sherlock101
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 8/12/2009 9:07:58 AM

Great profile - testimonial lady - great bikini shot, you couldn't have let her go surely!!! It gives us ladies an idea of your type so you won't be wasting any time on any fatties.

Now that wasn't very nice thing to say Ginger-kitty. If you read my profile then you know the first thing I say about what I'm attracted to is an adventurous soul and I have been contacted by some women who are as you so eloquently described as fatties. Although we all have our preferences I'm looking for a life mate and it would be horribly unwise of me to just look at the superficial side.
 BigBee77
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:08:28 PM
El Mariachi you're right. Initial dating is seeing and hearing a bunch of politically correct, cliched stuff in the beginning that may well prove to be false later on. But in spite of all that STILL HAVE FUN AND GET TO KNOW THE PERSON FOR YOURSELF.

P.S. One of my favorites is"not looking for sex" when you taking pictures with your ass all over the place.
 BigBee77
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 9/17/2009 7:49:49 AM
Well Miss SweetandUnique I say "no drama" because I live drama free and not trying to involve myself in any. When I say "real women" I mea women who carry themselves with dignity and class like a woman should. Just wanna clarify that on my behalf.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dating cliches
Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:41 PM
This IMO is a huge dating cliche: "Some of the best relationships have started off with a good solid friendship"
.. In many (most?) Women's psyche good solid friendship first (google Ladder Theory) before a solid emotional and physical connection usually translates into a good platonic buddy. .. I'd say many (most?) men would agree.
 jacob8088
Msg: 28
Dating cliches
Posted: 9/17/2009 9:47:34 PM
The "I'm not into guys who play games " cliches are typical for some of them. Then whats funny is they turn around and play hard to get. Umm yeah right.
 swampbuggy1
Msg: 29
Dating cliches
Posted: 11/14/2009 12:27:41 PM
I only date men 5' 10 or taller and yet their 5' 3

I drink socialy yet every pic is them in bar drunk

Im fit and work out reguraly and take care of my self yet they smoke and drink

I dont need a man to support me yet they never offer to pick up the check

chemistry is a must, if your looking for "chemistry" go back to school

all thier pics are vacation pics with them far away from the camera and can barley see them yet they wont respond to profiles with no photos.

I work two jobs and go to school fulltime yet their looking for longterm

I just want a good man looks are unimportant yet they read and delete without giving it a chance.

Im looking for the man of my dreams......go back to sleep, you wont find it in the real world.

Looking to see what god has in store for me.... looks like going through divorce and ending up on a dating site over the age of 40 is what he had in store for you so far.

I travel the road less travelled, yet they have this cliche in thier profile.

Im just trying out this site, yet they been here for several months

Not single not lokking......turn off the computer and spend your time with your s o

Im only here for the forums and complaining about a thread being done and telling the o p they should have done a search.......Thes people need to do a search and go find something else to do, just because you read it doent mean everyone else has and if you have read all the threads on here then you really need to get a life
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating cliches