Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Affect of Recession by Marital Status      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderbaby
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Affect of Recession by Marital StatusPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
of course married couples have it easier, either one is working while the other is a housewife, which saves on daycare cost. or if both are working they are getting extra to cover things.

i wonder if they factor things such as demographics of classes, and if the single parents have help from teh other parent to help out with expenses.

I think it's a shame that they charge more than they should for health insurance, especialy when you rarely use it.
 Tealwood
Msg: 5
Affect of Recession by Marital Status
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:39:49 AM
* 79% of custodial single mothers are gainfully employed

* 92% of custodial single fathers are gainfully employed

As the article concentrates in single parents that are women, the reason they may have lower incomes in my opinion is obvious. The gender pay-gap. Until there is a fundamental culture change where women can enter non-traditional area's, including a change in working patterns to accommodate family responsibilities the gender gap will always be present to a certain extent. In the craft and trade professions the lower academically achieving girls are still pushed towards lower paid female dominated area's such as childcare, hospitality e.t.c. whereas boys are pushed towards higher paid crafts and trades such as the motor industry and construction

Can we look at the number of woman who graduated high school and compare it to the number of men? Then take the numbers of men and woman that enter post secondary institutions and compare and in North America it has i believe shown as many if not more woman than men.

So were you not pushed into something other than engineering?

One also goes where it is not dirty and where the working environment is not harsh. I think the issue is not simply gender pay gap but gender choices in respect to where they choose to work and how many hours they choose to work.

American census suggest perhaps a similar choice!

* 79% of custodial single mothers are gainfully employed

* 92% of custodial single fathers are gainfully employed
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/24/2009 9:22:51 AM
Excellent topic Futureshock, and some great replies too.

The simple answer is that of course single parent households would be affected more by a recession for the reasons noted above; primarily that there is only one income vs. two. The recession isn't good for anyone, but some feel the pinch more than others.

As for healthcare access Futureshock, I am glad to live in Canada where basic healthcare is provided for all. It is true that we all pay more tax to provide these services, but the choice is everyone pays more tax so that everyone can have healthcare; or everyone pays less tax and only some people can get healthcare.

As the CP who also pays a lot of money in support as well, I am very conscious of the recession and its effect on the industry I work in. You just have to watch your spending that much closer and do what you can to save in case this recession continues and/or gets worse.

I can't speak of the situation with job and pay equality in the UK Nothingsweet, but I would like to think that the opportunities here in Canada are substantial for women in the workforce. There are numerous programs paid for by the government that are there solely to promote women in non traditional industries. One such program that I am familiar with is the Women In Trades program where women are provided with free career training, tools, on the job experience and help with job placement into a trade career of their choice. A man wanting the same thing pays thousands of dollars for the same tools, schooling (if he can find an available spot) and then has to find a job on his own. The programs are there, it just takes people capitalizing on them to help make them successful.

PS - SagMan, high income isn't a love magnet; it may bring in a few who like to spend money though but that's not good in the long run. Trust me. lol
 freetime2bme
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 11:43:21 AM
"I really dislike most police officers."

WTF try doing their job for a week. Dealing with the trailer trash and getto crap all day. The people the deal with (using the term people, but not a good fit) are for the most part just bad. I am glad they are out there. I did the army for 25 years and my friend down the street has been a police officer about that long and he had about as many crapy days as I did. Takes a speical lot to do these jobs and if there were not these brave men and women, it would be a scary world. I really like most police officers and am glad they are doing a job few could do or few want to do.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 12:03:14 PM
The police officers in tampa deal with all kinds of trash every day. Some bad bad people out there. I got pulled over by one about a year ago for doing a rolling stop at a stop sign. He called me sir asked for my paperwork and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I did know why and I said sorry I know better, I should have made a full stop. He said no one ever tells them the truth and smiled. Told me I had two cute girls and to be more careful about coming to a full stop, because next time it would not be a warning. Now I bet you $100 if I tried the BS that these men and women hear all day long doing there job, I would have had a ticket, not a warning. A little respect and honisty goes a long way. I could be on here ****ing about how bad the police are too, if I had BS the nice officer that pulled me over for my failer to fully stop. You get what you give.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 9:54:15 AM

I think it is a crime that all children at least aren't automatically covered by health insurance.

That component of the problem is not remotely related to the recession and in terms of children, to a degree, people who work and are insured have greater problems than the uninsured if they cannot afford copays and prescription medicine that is provided free of charge to children of parents without insurance under federal law. I have also seen how difficult it is if one parent is working to qualify to get the insurance for the children despite that fact that putting them on insurance when someone works for a smaller company would if there are 2 or more children run anywhere from $500-1000 or more every month, most people cannot afford that but their incomes are too high for their children to qualify for insurance provided by the government.

We have a system that is flaws. The arguments for retaining such a system are stupid because we no longer have the cutting edge advantage in quality of doctors and treatment and the countries that the U.S. predicted would crumble under the weight of publicly provided insurance, that there would be low quality care, etc., the UK, France, Canada, all have proven that it is doable and good medicine is being practiced. Elective surgery is the only area where there are problems. At this point, I would be better off getting sick while visiting the UK, treatment no questions no billing asked, than if I were on vacation in another state here when I became ill and there would be problems with accepting insurance, etc. before treatment is rendered. Practicing physicians abroad are appalled that we turn away patients that need care.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 11:56:28 AM
If a test is necessary, which most MRIs are, there aren't waits, the long waiting periods are related to elective and preventive care.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Affect of Recession by Marital Status