Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrMonday71
Msg: 1
Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Men! Women! Grey: yes? No?

Specifically, do you find it attractive/unattractive in a potential partner?

I'm 38, and keep getting told I look 25-35. Except, my hair is completely grey, and may even be white before long. Some love it, some say I should grab a brain and dye it a more youthful colour.

What do you think about grey in others?

What do you do (or will you do) about your own?
 english lass
Msg: 2
Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?
Posted: 6/24/2009 4:25:00 PM
well, my hair changes colour and enjoys appearances of hues of reds and light highlights on varying occasions... all totally natural of course... *cough*...

so i guess it could be said that i think hair can be fun to play and experiment with (vanishing greys is just a cool side effect, for me... ;))

i think you have a nice combination of grey hair and youthful face - the contradiction is interesting

if it goes white it could well be even more 'exotic' and attractive

the same holds true for men and women, i think... although it does seem that men can often carry the 'grey and distinguished' look better than some women

but i think overall, it depends on how the person involved feels about themselves - how they're most comfortable

confidence is a very attractive quality, no matter how the hair hangs :)
 wranglerdale
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:01:55 PM
Just one mans opinion, but I think gray hair on a woman is very attractive. Case in point....Emmy Lou Harris....a singer with the Most beautiful hair. As far as men go, I guess we have it easy. I really don't know any guys who touch up their hair.
 techgirl27
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:12:44 PM
I'd rather see a full head of gray than a bowling ball anyday. I dont necessarily think it makes anyone look any smarter. Most of us know its a fact of life and our timelines. That said, you'll probably get further in your quest if you color it. Dont be afraid of that. Women have been doing it for donkeys years, men can do it too and show more confidence. I kind of like it when a guy cares enough about his appearance to make changes to help himself. Its very sexy.
 .Selena.
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:13:59 PM
It works on you OP. Leave it be and whoever doesn't like it can go pound salt.
 Fish_Boy
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:02:47 PM
"I really don't know any guys who touch up their hair."

I think there are probably alot more who do it than you know. Women are pretty open about that they dye their hair...for men it can be more embarrassing.

I think it's an individual decision about what makes you look best. Myself, I have colored my hair since I was in my mid-thirties. If I was a nice even "salt n pepper" gray...I would probably leave it, but I am pure gray in a band from my temples, accross my sideburns and over my ears...but dark on top. Makes me look like Grampa from the Munsters! lol...so I color it.
 Annielikeslyrics
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:19:41 PM
Oooo OOOOH! I feel fully qualified to comment on this cause I am all about the hair baby! Personally I like gray hair on a guy. Or no hair. Or short or buzzed hair. As long as it is well groomed and short. I don't find bald or balding unattractive either but I really don't like longer hair on guys. So, whatever color...but short!
 artist_48
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:20:14 PM
Steve Martin has been grey since he was in his 20's.
Richard Gere is grey, etc, etc.
You look fine, OP.
Who cares?

What do you want to do?
 MrMonday71
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:25:24 PM

You look fine, OP.
Who cares?

What do you want to do?

This ain't about me! I just provided myself as an example!

I just want to know how everyone feels about grey hair on the opposite sex! :)
 zangie
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:43:25 PM
I tend to go with it makes men look more distinguished most of the time, and women just look older, most of time..except women who are lucky enough to have the right coloring or that really pretty soft gray or pure white...

I'm don't have any gray to speak of yet...though I have colored my hair for fun for several years ( highlights and under reds)..but, when I start to go gray..I'm sure I will probably color it...my mother didn't start graying till she was almost 60..and at 70, though she has some gray..she still has lots of black hair...I am hoping I have her genes..lol..
 butterflykisses402
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:10:58 PM
depends on the person but my self i like grey hair on a man it makes him distinguished for sure
 Iriewoman78
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:21:28 PM
I agree with a few posters here when saying that grey hair looks distinguished and some people really look good with it. A few months ago I dated a much older man who had almost completely white hair and he asked me if I wanted him to dye it so he'd look younger. I told him I loved his hair the way it is and he looks sexy Bald is beautiful too
 stephanie888
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:31:09 PM
Yay i want to talk about hair! (That was pathetic, but true)

You're 38, You are quite good looking for your age IMHO, especially because you're thin, which most guys your age aren't. Gray hair isn't a deal breaker on men but I do think you'd look even better if you just used a temporary tint on it every couple weeks. That's what I do. You'll probably be better off if you die your hair for a while. When your face catches up with your hair, then let it go white. (seriously). The picture with the hair a little darker colored looked best on you.

I'm lucky so far (at almost 38) my hair has it's share of grays but it's mostly still color. I use a temporary tint (clairol loving care) every couple of weeks or so depending how busy I am. It blends any grays, makes my hair shinier, and more manageable. There's no ammonia or peroxide in it that would damage hair.

Anyway here's the breakdown. Grey or white hair looks odd to me on people (men and women) who otherwise look youthful. On the other hand, darkly dyed hair looks strange on people who are well into their golden years. Both are too much contrast. Bald is great! But balding, with long where it remains is not great! Combovers or similar hairdos are bad! Real long hair past 30, eh, just doesn't look age-appropriate. Not good. Short or semi short is almost always the best for a guy. A very young guy can get away with longer hair, doesn't mean he's better looking necessarily. If he starts going bald cut it real short, like a buzz-cut if he's pretty bald. It's way better than that Dennis Franz look from NYPD Blue. (I like the guy, but HATE the hairdo). Patric Stewart is Hot! So was Yul Brynner! I'm sure Richard Gere and Ted Danson both dyed their hair a bit 'til they reached an age where it was just too much contrast between their hair and their age.

Any more hair questions? Let's have a hair forum.
 Rare Gemette
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/24/2009 11:46:32 PM
I absolutely LUV LUV LUV ..the salt n peppa look on a guy....

it is very distinguished looking....tells me he has been around for a while....has some great experiences in life and is damn Sexy !!

i am not so sure on women and to be honest...i only know of maybe 1 or 2 women who keep their grey hair. However...as a woman u just have to carry it well.

In your case..i viewed your pics...ur hair looks great and healthy..but maybe a haircut is in order ..(yikes !!)
 emruld
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/25/2009 4:40:28 AM
i love it! be even cooler when it goes white..then youll really stand out... you look way younger than what you say your age is... maybe get a trim tho :P
 Calray
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/25/2009 5:28:35 AM
honestly OP, at our age we're very fortunate to have a full head of hair. When I was in college, My Chorale director had just a tuft of hair that was grey (I was told it was a type of mole) Ithought it was kinda cool.
 Sidewinder154
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:24:20 AM
I'm 38 and the greys have been coming out full force for the last 3 years. My face doesn't match my age (thank goodness) and my hair has always been a dark brown with natural red tint to it. I tried dying it the natural color but found I was dying my hair every 6 weeks to keep up with the greys and frankly I just don't have that kind of time and I don't like "high maintenance". Sooooo.... I started highlighting my hair with blond streaks. The funny thing is, I got a lot more compliments with the highlights than I EVER did with any other hair color or style!! Even my mother, who has always hated how my hair was, loved it. I about fell over. LOL She told me my hair now matches my eyebrows. (??????) I never gave my eyebrows a second thought but ok...whatever. At least with the highlighting, the greys can mix in and aren't as noticeable. Also I only have to re-highlight every 4 months instead of every 6 weeks.

Also, I have VERY thick hair so in the summer the dark hair just made it that much hotter. Seems having the lighter hair makes that hot weather a tiny bit more tolerable!!

When I hit 50, I'll quit highlighting my hair and let the greys do what they are going to do but for now, I'm fighting them and so far, I'm somewhat winning.

EDIT: OP - you're right... you look VERY young for your age. But I love the grey on you! Very distinguished and artistic! As another man said, be glad you still have a full head of hair! Some men aren't so lucky.

My 18 year old son is already got grey patches in his hair and is already starting to recede at the temples. Poor kid... he got his dad's hair......
 kmaninsandiego
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/25/2009 10:30:12 PM
Oh - let's be real. I have 2 recently divorced friends in their 40s who started hitting the singles scene. They both have said they get noticed FAR more after they got rid of their gray hair, so I'm not sure why we're even having this debate. One of them just went with low-lights which still leaves a bit of gray, but lasts far longer. But they were adament.

Have some heavy guy (or girl) post something about why don't women find me attractive and all these women will chime in about how they don't care about a few extra pounds. Same thing is going on here.

Now, I'm sure you can find some nice girl that loves your gray hair. But you'd also probably find 10 girls that loved it even more with blond highlights that hid the gray.

And the same women posting already know it's true for the ladies - even after 60. If it's done well, it just looks MUCH better and makes the person look (and often feel) MUCH younger.

K
 Thick_Curvy_Cutie
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:14:22 PM
Gray hair can be very sexy look. Check out Jon Steward, Anderson Cooper, George Clooney, even Steve Martin (he was premature gray too!). I say keep it, not only is it sexy its also unique!!
 techgirl27
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 12:33:59 AM
Semi Permanent color lasts like 8-20 shampoos, and is designed to gradually fade. That is a great product to use so you're not stuck with anything either way. Especially good for shy first-time users.

I dont use that stuff anymore (haven't since I finished school, was just messing with it then) and now I just stroke in highlighting things every now and then to accent my natural blonde. I'm going to be 38 in a few weeks, and no signs of any gray yet. My parents didnt get any grays til their 60's so I hope I follow.
 baraboom
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/26/2009 8:55:53 PM
Being well over forty ,ive been accused of using dye many times,i slap some "leave on conditioner "which seems to hide the grey while leaving your hair feel great
 eschec mat
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/27/2009 7:11:02 AM
People that color their hair generally looking funny as crap and it doesn't look natural. I am so sick of seeing men and women dye their hair black when their face is full of wrinkles, like that matches. I expect to see oil dripping off their hair. I have yet to see someone that has that solid black color naturally. Black hair has like a reddish hue to it in the light, it doesn't still look black. There should be some gray around the temples or other colors. If you think it looks good solid black, you are only fooling yourself or you need a new bifocal prescription.

At 40 my ex was gray. He decided he wanted his blond hair back and so I helped him color it. It looked so fake and awful, yet he thought it was wonderful. Now he has let his hair grow, long and stringy, it looks worse than ever. A 60 year old with thinning hair shouldn't grow their hair long...yuck.

I embrace every white hair I have earned.

Accept your changes, we constantly go through changes in our lives. Our hair, face, body, etc. constantly goes through changes. This is how we know we are alive.
 peiganjan
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2009 8:42:37 PM
love it. i also love my natural streaks.
i think we all ought to stop covering our silver.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 8:58:18 PM
Love it! Even when I was in my 20's!
 0773H
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/7/2009 9:10:05 PM
I think if a person's hair has a nice sheen to it any color looks good.
I have seen a couple of friends who dyed their hair and somehow it just does not look as natural as women's hair that has been colored. It's what we are used to looking at.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?