Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > recipes for garden snails ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Molly Maude
Msg: 1
view profile
History
recipes for garden snails ???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm CONSIDERING the possibility that I mite want to eat my garden snails ... I know ... the very thot gags me, too ... but I pay big bucks to eat escargot from a local restaurant ... I've researched it and those are the SAME type of snails that roam around "wild" in my garden ... in fact, they were INTRODUCED here and are not native to California ...

the prep is fairly intense ... first, you gotta collect the things ... (gag) ... then there's a purification period to make sure they haven't ingested pesticides ... during which you gotta keep them in a container with air holes, water, etc. where they can't escape ... (yikes!) ... then you feed them for at least two days ... there's then 5-6 days of no food, only water ... then you gotta drain, wash and cook ... (double gag) ... rinse the boiled snails ... pull them out of their shells, cut off the hepato-pancreas ... (which sounds even worse than the other steps) ... THEN you cook them however you like ...

I've found recipes for snails and brussles sprouts that sounds interesting ...

but ... truthfully ... I'm not sure I'm up to all that ... so I'm working at wrapping my mind around it ... it sounds pretty grisley, tho ... what if they screamed when I threw them into the boiling water?!!!

anyone else have thots on eating local garden snails?

mik1950
Msg: 2
recipes for garden snails ???
Posted: 6/25/2009 12:08:54 PM
take the snails...put them on a #2 trout hook...with 6-lb test line...go to your nearest trout stream and catch your dinner...just sayin...just cuz a snail might have a fancy name when its cooked doesnt change the fact that its still a snail
 Molly Maude
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 12:12:39 PM
THEN I'd have to cook the trout!
 athletic2fit
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 1:50:48 PM

Later I wondered about the pesticide thing and never did it again.

Exactly. You have to take into consideration the environment the creature lived in order to assess what contaminates it may have. The escargots you find in restaurants are horticulturally raised on a farm and fed specific food diet. Eating snails found in you backyard is not safe unless you are on a rural farm.

Think I lost my appetitive for dinner!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 1:57:22 PM
Thank GOD I'm not the ONLY ONE!!

I was just reading the directions online ... apparently, you keep them in a container where they can get air ... with cornmeal and water for several days ... I'm thinking it was maybe 7 days? to see if they've been exposed to pesticides ... if they HAVE, they DIE ... if they haven't, they live and you can then put them on the water only diet ... don't know why you'd do that either ...

THEN you cook them ...

so you and your friends just gathered them up, rinsed them off well ... and BROILED them? how did they turn out?

the recipes I found all indicate boiling first ... I don't know why ... this is a new thot to me ... our summers are generally too hot for snails ... (San Joaquin Valley ... think Bakersfield or Fresno) ... but this year, we've had a mild winter and a lovely spring and ... MAN! they're all over the place! eating my flowers!

what grosses me out most is the tender caring prior to cooking them and eating them ... without the tender care and feeding, I mite be able to cook and eat them ... somehow, I'm afraid I'd BOND during the care and feeding process and then not want to eat my "pets"!!!

thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who sees snails and wonders how they'd taste!

now to find recipes for the seed pods from my Acacia trees!

Romancactus1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 10:06:07 AM
Hi Molly,

My family and I eat plenty of garden snails! The kids love them and can't get enough.

First we go snail hunting on rainy days when they all come out of their hiding spots. Then we keep them in containers (sometimes old wicker baskets or any plastic container with air holes). We feed them flour for about a week. This is done to clean out their digestives tracts of earth and grass etc.

We wash them well to before cooking. We place them in a pot with cold water and cover with a lid. Put the pot on the stove and heat the water. It is very important that you place them in cold water. If you throw them into a pot of boiling water they will retract into their shells and you will have a much harder time eating them. A couple of minutes later they will be steamed.

Once they are cooked, you drain them well. In a skillet you heat up some olive oil and butter on med high heat. You toss in some minced garlic and hot chilli flakes and stir for a minute. Add a splash of white wine and reduce slightly. Throw in the snails and finely chopped parsley and heat through. You will have a delicious meal.

We pull the snails out of the shells eat the main body and pinch the last bit of intestine off and discard.

The kids can eat kilos of these little nuggets.

Enjoy
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 10:57:46 AM
THANK YOU, Roman Cactus! sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks of such things as dealing with garden pests by EATING them! I HATE poison ... I HATE waste even more! ... and somehow, poisoning a pest that could be eaten ... seems a huge waste!

thank you so much for the helpful tips ... the articles I was reading said to just dump the snails into boiling water ... but your way is much more logical ... I was a little unclear as to what to do with the boiled snails, also ... so again ... thank you! it cheers me to think there ARE other prudent people out there who are willing to think outside the box a bit ... to deal with problems by making them into positives!

Smiling Salmon, your comments are variations of thots I've had ... especially with regard to everything in life BEING God ... as I believe it, God created ALL ... therefore, all IS God ...

I've also considered the ramifications of taking a life to provide food so that my life would continue ... if a person has so little respect for the well-being of their own life that they wouldn't sacrifice the life of another living being (plants, snails, fish, baby lambs, etc.) to nourish their own bodies ... because they are honoring the life of the other being ... MORE than they're honoring their own life ... well ... following that train of thot, eventually you would come to the conclusion that you could only eat dry leaves and bark ... and, of course, even dry leaves and bark are intended to nourish the soil ...

so I think I'm gonna "man up," catch, cook and eat those snails that are killing and eating my plants!!!

I congratulate you, Smiling, on the whole cooking of the lamb thing ... I'm struggling enuf with the concept of killing a snail ... I have serious problems killing fish to eat ... don't think I could manage a lamb! I'll keep working on it!

Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 9:19:51 PM
I'll admit I'm not sure I can try the "domestic" snails (as you so delicately referred to them!) ... and I LOVE escargot in fine restaurants ...

it's just difficult to wrap my mind around the thot of the snails sliming their way across my yard ... and becoming something to eat!

BUT ... it's just so completely PRACTICAL ... I mean ... I don't want snails in my garden ... and I love escargot ... I'm working on getting it into my head that I CAN DO THIS!

ok ... maybe I can't!
 mrrat2u2
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/28/2009 11:39:53 PM
have you ever eaten escargot with out the garlic? it's like chewing a rubber band. You'd do better eating grass
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 12:50:17 PM
the entire IDEA came from the fact that I DON'T WANT the snails to be in my garden! I dislike pesticides ... that's the motivation behind my entire concept ... to take a "pest" and turn it into something positive ...

I do that sort of thinking whenever I have a "problem" ... I try to turn it into a positive! as in that whole concept of making lemonaid when life throws you lemons ... (not to mention lemon PIE!)

according to the websites I've found ... in addition to the posters here ... quite a few people DO "harvest" their garden snails for eating ...

I'm not sure I'm up to doing that emotionally yet ... but I'm working on it!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 4:36:52 PM
well ... I couldn't do it!!!

I started this thread June 25, 2009 ... I spent a LOT of time gathering information, TRYING to get myself into a frame of mind to actually EAT those SNAILS ...

I gathered the snails from my garden ... cared for them dutifully for several days ...

then, this morning, GAGGING ... I dumped the things ... free! you're free! run away quickly, little snails ... oh, yeah, can't run ... no feet ...

sigh ... I feel like a failure ... and NOW I'm afraid I'll never be able to eat them in a restaurant either!

Molly Maude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2009 11:41:07 AM
thanks for your support, Boomer California Girl! I tried ... sigh.

when I was a kid in Santa Cruz, I gathered snails in my red wagon ... brot them to the garage where I painted their shells with poster paint ... then released them back into the wild ... in a scientific experiment to see whether their shells grew from that point at the top downward ... or from the base upward ...

I never found out ... cuz I never found painted snails again ... as an experiment, it was a dud ... sort of like my eating them turned out to be!

maybe eating something that you've played with is just too difficult!
 kenfla
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:32:14 AM
Just think of the war stories the escaped snails will tell their grandkids! Funny thread!
 Fifi47
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:18:39 PM
I work as a speech therapist in public schools, and this reminds me of the book entitled Some Smug Slug. ( I realize that snails and slugs are not identical creatures). When my students who have difficulty producing the /s/ sound can generalize the sound and produce it in sentences, we read the book together, as it is great way for them to practice in a fun way. I will now think of eating snails when I read the book....
I recall pouring salt on them when I saw them in the backyard when I was in the 3rd grade. I made money that year by selling home baked cookies, when I could have made money by selling snails?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 4:22:10 AM
^^^Garden snails = poor man's lobster? Any reference I've heard relating to "poor man's lobster" has referred to monkfish.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 12:24:47 PM
Gotcha ... but the garden snails will stay in the garden.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 3:58:33 PM
Ras, just in case you're serious, here ya go.

Grilled Dove Kabobs
10 dove breasts, filleted off breast bone
2 green peppers, cut into chunks
2 red peppers, cut into chunks
1 large red onion, cut into chunks
4 cobs of corn, cut into 1” coins
1 lb. bacon, cut into 3-4” pieces
2 cups Italian dressing

Remove dove breast from bone and quarter. Marinate in Italian dressing for 1-2 hours. On a skewer, alternate vegetables and dove, using bacon on both sides of meat and an onion slice by the bacon – or build them how you like. Slow cook over indirect heat for 15 minutes, then cook on hot grill, basting with Italian dressing often. Dove should be cooked rare to medium-rare.

Charcoal Dove
12 dove breasts

Marinade
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix marinade ingredients together. Place dove breasts in large pan; add marinade. Cover overnight. Remove doves. Place on grill. Baste with marinade. Cook until done.

Dove D'elegence
12 doves
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/3 cup chives, chopped
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. pepper
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup water
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup brandy
1 can (17 oz.) English peas
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 tsp. margarine or butter

Place doves in casserole dish. Arrange onions, celery and chives around; salt and pepper to taste. Add milk, water, mushroom soup, brandy, peas, margarine and bouillon cubes. Bake at 375°F for 2 hours. Remove doves and place on platter. Thicken gravy. Pour over doves. Serve with wild rice..

Doves in Wine
8 doves, cleaned and picked
3 tbsp. olive oil or bacon drippings, heated
1/2 cup sherry or dry red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt

In heavy iron skillet, heat oil or bacon drippings; brown doves on all sides; add balance of ingredients. Cover skillet with tight lid; simmer over a low heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender – liquid should never boil. Serve with brown and wild rice.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:13:17 PM
in the central San Joaquin Valley in California, dove season starts September 1st ...

every year, September 1st ... we'd wake up to the sound of buck-shot hitting our windows, walls, cars, trucks, houses, cows, chickens, burros, tractors, etc. ... being PEPPERED by these already-drunk "hunters" ...

I don't recall them ever actually killing a dove ... cuz, of course, doves have calendars, too, so were hiding!! I mean ... they're not STUPID!

apparently I CAN'T bring myself to eat garden snails ... but I SURE couldn't eat a gently cooing morning dove either ... or a tiny little wobbily-legged lamb ... nutz! I better check this trend before my eye-teeth erode away into purely vegan teeth! ...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 8:12:57 AM
and I thot my idea to trap, clean and eat garden snails was gross ... and I can't STAND the nasty slimy things eating my flowers ... it was a ploy to kill the nasty little critters ... but I couldn't keep them, make pets of them then kill them and eat them ... and I wouldn't EVEN have had to rip their heads off using a towel!

the concept of learning their habits, feeding and nurturing the doves ... then trapping, ripping their heads off and eating these previously gentle, cooing, beautiful doves TRULY GROSSES me out ...

my happiest times were dawn at my grandma's house, listening to the doves quietly cooing nearby ...

I must have been insane to think I could eat a snail ... gag ... shudder ... I think my eye teeth are dissolving ... I think I'm forsaking my carniverous past ... I must be at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2009 11:52:20 AM
poor folks ... or HUNGRY anyway ... who but a very hungry person would have figured out a way to actually put olives into his/her mouth without gagging!? I mean, that brining process takes a LONG TIME!

and ya gotta figure anyone who took the time to figure out a way to get the honey out of the hive without being stung ... or picking blackberries without getting stabbed ... or soaking beans overnight ... killin varmits and cookin em ... those folks must have been hungry!

my problem with the snails wasn't what I CALLED em ... it was that I'd had em in my house and was nurturing them for several days ... it just grossed me out ... I have a real problem eating pets ... probably giving the snails names wasn't a good idea either ...

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > recipes for garden snails ???