Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Two Icons of Our Culture Die      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 redsss
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Two Icons of Our Culture DiePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I agree with you Tempt your kharma.

Also Farrah was only 62.

Both of them will be missed.

Rest in Peace.
 susan_cd
Msg: 6
Two Icons of Our Culture Die
Posted: 6/26/2009 12:54:58 PM
^ ^ ^ lol Turtle, cute. I think I'm old, I remember when MJ used to be black.
 susan_cd
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/26/2009 7:45:24 PM
the title of the thread threw me for a moment, shouldn't it be :

"The death of two stars" not Two deaths of a star"

( I know I know, I'm just nitpicking. It's minor, not like they used a preposition to end a sentence with. )
 armaegis
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 10:29:49 AM
Billy Mays? Noooooooo...
 susan_cd
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/29/2009 11:45:51 AM

Personally I think Michael was not a pedophile but rather that he suffered from a mental illness which involved a Peter Pan syndrome coupled with narciscism. I think if you were to check the backgrounds of 90% of the people you love to listen to or admire in life, you would find they are afflicted with as bad or worse conditions.

And let's not forget that you can apply that 90% to people you don't admire ( or is mental illness only anexcuse for people that a large portionof th epublic likes and/or admires?). So using some form of mental illness as an excuse let's see.....

Perhaps Hitler wasn't so bad after all ! After all he WAS the driving force behind the creation of Volkswagen ( strange, that never appears in their ads) and he was a very strong anti-smoker, and also a vegetarian. With all the bizarre/offensive campaigns PETA has, I'm surprised PETA hasn't used Hitler in their campaigns.
 flyin-high
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 12:51:22 PM

Billy Mays? Noooooooo...

FOR THREE EASY PAYMENTS OF $19.95, YOU CAN ORDER YOUR BILLY MAYS COMEMORATIVE PLATE… DON’T WAIT, IT’S A LIMITED EDITION SET, OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY…
 susan_cd
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/30/2009 7:55:34 AM

My only negative about MJ would be the news coverage!
Have the Americans lost their minds.. come on, it's been four days and their still carrying on
about his sudden death on CNN and even Anderson Cooper is in on the analysis

Well, guess they ( the media) are hoping his death will generate huge memorabalia sales & reboot the economy
 haywiresue
Msg: 21
Two Deaths of a Star
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:58:38 PM
A lot of "new" information is trickeling out now regarding MJ. I dont think its any different than how long the media covered the death of Princess Diane. As long as the people tune in and, new information is revealed, the media will report it.

I hear/read something that MJ wanted so much to not resemble his father and the way he was treated as a child that he went off the deep end with plastic surgery. I belive that his soft spoken, mild mannered personality, was a direct contrast to his fathers personality. I think it was MJ's way to be different than his father.

Regarding his behavior and being so "child like". I believe that his father/parents wanted fame more than they wanted their children to have childhood lives that would allow them to grow normally into adulthood. If you think about the number of young stars who have "fallen from grace" in numerous way, I think its reasonable to understand that MJ never grew up. I think the media refering to him as "peter pan like" is extremely accurate, as I dont think he ever had a childhood and he spent his adult years trying to recapture the youth he missed.

I have never believed that he was a child molester. I dont believe that someone famous with lots of $$$$ does not need to build something like Neverland to entice vulnerable children. Money alone by purchasing children things they could not afford would be more than enough, as spending money on a vulnerable child is one reason why child abuse happens. I think MJ was looking for childhood playmates to help him relive his missed youth. I can remember childhood sleep overs at friends houses where a friend and I slept together in a double bed or a pull out sofabed. I really believe that MJ never saw himself as an adult. There are also a lot of people out there who would try and take advantage of someone famous to get paid off. If MJ was so guilty, I dont understand why he was never convicted and then have legal suits filed against him for damages. That never happend, so I think he was taken advantage of.

Its really hard to know what MJ lived with, what phobias he had, or how being a child star affected him. I'm not one to judge. More will come out as to exactly what happened. I'm surprised how the attending Dr to MJ seemed to disappear after he called in the 911 Medical Emergency. It was days before the police questioned him. I am glad the family did their own testing to find out information and details that were not released to them.

MJ was an Icon regardless if you happened to like him or not. We bopped to the songs of the Jackson 5 on our transistor radios and at school/community centre dances. We all tried to Moon Walk and most of us purchased his Thriller album/cassette, posters and replicas of his famous Glove.

Rest In Peace Michael
Thanks for the memories and now you are free from pain.
 LucOberdere
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Two Deaths of a Star
Posted: 7/7/2009 5:03:55 PM
Oh never mind... I though this was about star wars and the 'death star'...

haywiresue
Msg: 25
Deaths of TWO Iconic Stars
Posted: 7/8/2009 2:08:47 PM
I agree with the other posters who watched some/all of the MJ memorial service, saying that it was well done. I watched only news and entertainment recaps, and was very surprised that some of the commentary from the media people presenting the recaps of the service made comments that were not called for. I was watching an entertainment program that had a man and woman introducing the tape clips. They talked about things in MJ's life and the man made some very cutting and not called for comments about MJ and his former chimp Bubbles. He also made numerous references to MJ that were less than kind. My opinion is that media people should not be dissing anyone who has passed away, as that person being talked about is not in a position to dispute anything said, and the family and friends are hurting enough, without the media pouring salt in the wounds.
JMHO
 armaegis
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2009 6:17:39 PM
I can't tell if I'm shocked or impressed no one has mentioned Brittany Murphy yet.
 armaegis
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2009 11:23:16 PM
I actually can't name anything she's been in. I'm only vaguely aware of her name through peripheral absorption of the media.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Two Icons of Our Culture Die